Gluten-Free Goodness

About a year ago my 16-year-old son, who has had Type 1 Diabetes since he was 2 years old, was also diagnosed with Celiac’s Disease.  Unfortunately, these two auto-immune diseases often go hand-in-hand, so we weren’t completely surprised by the news, but learning to cook and eat gluten-free has been a MAJOR challenge! At first I thought….”How bad can it be?”  Now I know better….but since it is what it is and we all must play with the cards we are dealt…we have adjusted.

When my son was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes, he had to have several daily injections of insulin.  When he turned 7 we were blessed to get an insulin pump that he wears 24/7.  Sort of like an “artificial pancreas”. I remember feeling so grateful that we live in a day and age when such medical advances are available to us.

That is how I feel now about Celiac’s….I am so grateful this happened when there are so many great products and people out there sharing their gluten-free lifestyles (and recipes!)

So, I thought I would share with YOU…some of our favorite G.F. products and recipes that make our lives dealing with Celiac’s just a little easier.

And trust me….this is INVALUABLE advice….because you have no idea how much $$$ I have spent on things my son just would not eat.

These are tried and true…..at least by a 16 year old’s (and his Mom’s) standards. :-)

glutino crackers

His absolute, hands down, favorite gluten-free cracker. Since he loves having cheese and crackers as a snack, finding a good gluten-free cracker was a necessity and a challenge!  These are by far…the best. We buy them through Amazon.  Pricey, but worth it.

nutella on TOASTED udi’s Sandwich Bread

String Cheese. He likes Cache Valley, but isn’t too terribly picky about the brand.

Quaker CHOCOLATE Rice Cakes (he won’t eat any other flavor. Believe me, I’ve bought them all!)

Smartfood White Cheddar Popcorn.  Again, only this brand will do.

glutino pretzels

Again Glutino comes through, he LOVES these! And *I* love them because
I can make pretzel crusts for cheesecake, etc with them!

citrus berry smoothie
We make a LOT of these! Citrus Berry Smoothies! Frozen strawberries, a banana, frozen orange juice concentrate, yogurt and milk!

Honey Lime Chicken Enchiladas….naturally Gluten-Free and a new family favorite!

Mini Corn dog muffins!

Lots of steaks on the “barbie”, including this yummy recipe for Carne Asada!

And, of course, LOTS of these…….

…and LOTS of this! :-)

Wow!  I just occurred to me I could go ON AND ON with this!  I have posted a LOT more on my gluten-free Pinterest board if you are interested.  We have come up with a lot of GREAT gluten-free foods to enjoy…thanks to great websites and great companies that continue to put out more and more gluten-free products.   KEEP ‘EM COMING!

Facebook28Twitter1Pinterest396Google+0

Comments

1. Sarah Mish Wisner says

Hi Jill,
    My best friend has to eat GF and now CF (as of last week) as well. I've learned that subbing a mixture of white rice, brown rice, coconut, and potato flours along with a pinch of gum arabic is a wonderful replacement for almost every recipe that calls for flour. Sometimes you will have to add slightly more liquids to the recipe because of the density of the flours, but it does work well. I've had awesome results with cakes, cookies, and tea breads…still working on regular bread though. They don't like to rise well.

2. Jill Nystul says

I would love to know the "mix" too Sarah. I just found this mix yesterday online that I thought I might try out.

Jeanne’s Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour Mix:

1 1/4 C (170 g) brown rice flour
    1 1/4 C (205 g) white rice flour
    1 C (120 g) tapioca flour
    1 C (165 g) sweet rice flour (also known as glutinous rice flour or under the brand name, Mochiko)
    2 scant tsp. xanthan gum

3. Jen says

Just stumbled upon your blog through Pinterest for a completely different post but your celiac post caught my eye. I was diagnosed about 2 years ago. Don’t want to be a buzz kill but the regular Rice Krispies aren’t gf. They contain malt HOWEVER there is a gf version now. Yay! I totally agree with the cracker choice and a non-celiac friend of mine likes the gf pretzels more than the regular ones. Thanks for sharing :)

4. Erin says

Thanks for all your gluten free recipes. I’ve been eating gluten free the past couple of years and sometimes, it is challenging. I love finding websites that have simple recipes. I love some of the fancier websites, but I definitely have to have extra time :)

5. Kayleen says

I am gluten intolerant my favorite bread recipe is:

Gluten Free Flatbread Recipe
    1 c. brown rice flour
    1/2 c. corn starch
    2 Tbsp. sugar
    2 tsp. xanthan gum
    1/8 tsp. baking soda
    1/2 tsp. salt
    3/4 c. water
    1 tsp cider vinegar
    2 Tbsp. canola
    2 eggs (or flax eggs)
    1. Mix all dry ingredients in medium size bowl.
    2. Add wet ingredients and mix thoroughly.
    3. Grease two 8 in. square baking pans and dust with brown rice flour.
    4. Spread half of batter evenly into each pan. Use the back of a wet spoon if the dough is sticky.
    5. Bake at 350 degrees F for approximately 15 minutes, or until bread pulls away from the sides of the pans.
    Substitution Notes: Tapioca starch or potato starch can be substituted for the corn starch. Flax eggs are 1 Tbsp ground flax seed + 3 Tbsp. water

Your site is absolutely incredible. Do you or any of your readers know of a site with recipes and menus for the gluten intolerant and diabetic, since they go hand in hand very often?
    On the “healthier” side, Alton Brown has a recipe for Oatiest Oatmeal cookies. If you use both gf oats and oat flour, it’s completely gluten free and tastes just like regular ones. (I refrigerate the dough for an hour or more before baking to prevent the cookies from spreading too much — which the recipe does not say to do.)
    Also, your all-purpose cleaner is amazing! I used on our bathtub that has had a soap scum ring on it since we bought the house and nothing removed it until I tried your cleaner. It also got rid of the rest of that black build up on the “floor” of the tub that is impossible to remove.
    And, I’d been singing the praises of KaBoom foaming spray for getting the grout between the tiles on my kitchen looking like new (well, almost). While it worked, the clean up was messy and the house smelled of KaBoom for days. However, I started with your cleaner (which worked), but cleaning up the residue was time consuming. So, I used straight peroxide and a scrub brush. After a couple of seconds of scrubbing, it looked better than either of the other two. Clean up was much easier, too; and there was no smell.
    Now, I’m going to try your carpet cleaning formula with the ammonia and iron. Thanks!!

7. Jocelyn Pethtel says

I have a question…those glutino crackers??? are they like a ritz? We buy some pretty good gf crackers my 2 year old loves with tuna, but I personally have been dying for a ritz cracker. (3 out of 5 of us have either celiac or just a gluten intolerance…so everything is gf in our house). LOVE the glutino pretzels, but I only get to buy them when we’re in Anaheim at Disney (the walmart out there sells them for cheaper than anywhere else). Anyway, would love to know if those are like ritz cause I just might have to find some around here. yum!!! :)

8. Rachel says

I eat a gluten-free diet kind of by default since I have gone to a Paleo/Primal lifestyle/diet. I really believe it to be an amazing and wonderful way of eating (and living) and thought I should share. Some good places for recipes even if you don’t go full on Paleo are marksdailyapple.com , Elana’s Pantry, civilized caveman, and Healthbent.com. Elana’s pantry has THE BEST gluten-free recipes for bake goods! Hope you enjoy :)

9. Kirstie says

I do my shake with pineapple juice and a scoop of protein. No milk product. Without the banana it is sweeter. To help i get frozen bags of strawberries, then i have to use less ice..to me that means more flavor. I even take bananas that are starting to rip and cut in half and put into the freeze. But be careful they will still turn more brown. I haven’t figured out how to stop that part.

10. Ronni says

Celiac is fairly common in my family and is definitely a challenging adjustment, thank goodness for a mother that pioneered cooking and baking gluten free 30+ years ago for our family, and my ability to have fun with the challenge of making Gluten free taste like “real food” when I have the time to experiment. I usually try to do homemade whenever possible, but I recently found some AMAZING bread, from http://www.canyonbakehouse.com . Give it a try if you get the chance!! My daughters were so excited when “Mommy’s bread” came via FedEx that they called me at work to tell me how excited they were for me to try it, and when I got home they were doing some funny little “bread dance” and squealing about which one I was going to try first. LOL oh the laughs that living with Celiac has filled our home with. It was truly amazing, my eyes were rolled back in my head at the first bite, good luck to you all with your food adventures, and I hope you enjoy every bite. Keep sharing! :) And Jillee keep up this AWESOME website!! I’m addicted!

11. Shari' says

My 14 yr old son has a wheat allergy & carries the gene for Celiac so we too keep him on a gluten free diet. Not cheap by any means which stinks in this economy but I’m very grateful that more & more companies are making GF products. I switched from Campbells Cream of Mushroom Soup for stroganoff, steak w/cr. of Mushrm soup & Lipton Onion Soup Mix (which he also can not have), ect to Progresso Cr. of Mushrm Soup & Kroger brand Onion Soup Mix. He loves the Canyon Bakehouse bread but it’s very expensive ($7.00/loaf now @ our local Celiac Specialty shop). When I make chili for our family (I have 4 kids) we use Busch’s chili beans (no wheat) and I make GF corn bread for all of us. :) And we’ve found things like Lay’s Stackers he can have but he can’t have Pringles and Betty Crocker now makes several boxed items. My all time fave thing to use tho is King Arthur GF Flour Mix…I use it to make rue’s with, bread steak with even tried our hand at making a cracker bread with it! :) Thanks for the recipes you’ve posted Jillee…it’s nice to have more options to add to our menu! :)