Gluten-Free Goodness

About a year ago my 16-year-old son, who has had Type 1 Diabetes since he was 2 years old, was also diagnosed with Celiac’s Disease.  Unfortunately, these two auto-immune diseases often go hand-in-hand, so we weren’t completely surprised by the news, but learning to cook and eat gluten-free has been a MAJOR challenge! At first I thought….”How bad can it be?”  Now I know better….but since it is what it is and we all must play with the cards we are dealt…we have adjusted.

When my son was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes, he had to have several daily injections of insulin.  When he turned 7 we were blessed to get an insulin pump that he wears 24/7.  Sort of like an “artificial pancreas”. I remember feeling so grateful that we live in a day and age when such medical advances are available to us.

That is how I feel now about Celiac’s….I am so grateful this happened when there are so many great products and people out there sharing their gluten-free lifestyles (and recipes!)

So, I thought I would share with YOU…some of our favorite G.F. products and recipes that make our lives dealing with Celiac’s just a little easier.

And trust me….this is INVALUABLE advice….because you have no idea how much $$$ I have spent on things my son just would not eat.

These are tried and true…..at least by a 16 year old’s (and his Mom’s) standards. :-)

glutino crackers

His absolute, hands down, favorite gluten-free cracker. Since he loves having cheese and crackers as a snack, finding a good gluten-free cracker was a necessity and a challenge!  These are by far…the best. We buy them through Amazon.  Pricey, but worth it.

nutella on TOASTED udi’s Sandwich Bread

String Cheese. He likes Cache Valley, but isn’t too terribly picky about the brand.

Quaker CHOCOLATE Rice Cakes (he won’t eat any other flavor. Believe me, I’ve bought them all!)

Smartfood White Cheddar Popcorn.  Again, only this brand will do.

glutino pretzels

Again Glutino comes through, he LOVES these! And *I* love them because
I can make pretzel crusts for cheesecake, etc with them!

citrus berry smoothie
We make a LOT of these! Citrus Berry Smoothies! Frozen strawberries, a banana, frozen orange juice concentrate, yogurt and milk!

Honey Lime Chicken Enchiladas….naturally Gluten-Free and a new family favorite!

Mini Corn dog muffins!

Lots of steaks on the “barbie”, including this yummy recipe for Carne Asada!

And, of course, LOTS of these…….

…and LOTS of this! :-)

Wow!  I just occurred to me I could go ON AND ON with this!  I have posted a LOT more on my gluten-free Pinterest board if you are interested.  We have come up with a lot of GREAT gluten-free foods to enjoy…thanks to great websites and great companies that continue to put out more and more gluten-free products.   KEEP ‘EM COMING!

Share on Facebook28Tweet about this on Twitter1Pin on Pinterest412Google+0

Comments

1. Sarah Mish Wisner says

Hi Jill,
    My best friend has to eat GF and now CF (as of last week) as well. I've learned that subbing a mixture of white rice, brown rice, coconut, and potato flours along with a pinch of gum arabic is a wonderful replacement for almost every recipe that calls for flour. Sometimes you will have to add slightly more liquids to the recipe because of the density of the flours, but it does work well. I've had awesome results with cakes, cookies, and tea breads…still working on regular bread though. They don't like to rise well.

2. Jill Nystul says

I would love to know the "mix" too Sarah. I just found this mix yesterday online that I thought I might try out.

Jeanne’s Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour Mix:

1 1/4 C (170 g) brown rice flour
    1 1/4 C (205 g) white rice flour
    1 C (120 g) tapioca flour
    1 C (165 g) sweet rice flour (also known as glutinous rice flour or under the brand name, Mochiko)
    2 scant tsp. xanthan gum

3. Jen says

Just stumbled upon your blog through Pinterest for a completely different post but your celiac post caught my eye. I was diagnosed about 2 years ago. Don’t want to be a buzz kill but the regular Rice Krispies aren’t gf. They contain malt HOWEVER there is a gf version now. Yay! I totally agree with the cracker choice and a non-celiac friend of mine likes the gf pretzels more than the regular ones. Thanks for sharing :)

4. Erin says

Thanks for all your gluten free recipes. I’ve been eating gluten free the past couple of years and sometimes, it is challenging. I love finding websites that have simple recipes. I love some of the fancier websites, but I definitely have to have extra time :)

5. Kayleen says

I am gluten intolerant my favorite bread recipe is:

Gluten Free Flatbread Recipe
    1 c. brown rice flour
    1/2 c. corn starch
    2 Tbsp. sugar
    2 tsp. xanthan gum
    1/8 tsp. baking soda
    1/2 tsp. salt
    3/4 c. water
    1 tsp cider vinegar
    2 Tbsp. canola
    2 eggs (or flax eggs)
    1. Mix all dry ingredients in medium size bowl.
    2. Add wet ingredients and mix thoroughly.
    3. Grease two 8 in. square baking pans and dust with brown rice flour.
    4. Spread half of batter evenly into each pan. Use the back of a wet spoon if the dough is sticky.
    5. Bake at 350 degrees F for approximately 15 minutes, or until bread pulls away from the sides of the pans.
    Substitution Notes: Tapioca starch or potato starch can be substituted for the corn starch. Flax eggs are 1 Tbsp ground flax seed + 3 Tbsp. water

Your site is absolutely incredible. Do you or any of your readers know of a site with recipes and menus for the gluten intolerant and diabetic, since they go hand in hand very often?
    On the “healthier” side, Alton Brown has a recipe for Oatiest Oatmeal cookies. If you use both gf oats and oat flour, it’s completely gluten free and tastes just like regular ones. (I refrigerate the dough for an hour or more before baking to prevent the cookies from spreading too much — which the recipe does not say to do.)
    Also, your all-purpose cleaner is amazing! I used on our bathtub that has had a soap scum ring on it since we bought the house and nothing removed it until I tried your cleaner. It also got rid of the rest of that black build up on the “floor” of the tub that is impossible to remove.
    And, I’d been singing the praises of KaBoom foaming spray for getting the grout between the tiles on my kitchen looking like new (well, almost). While it worked, the clean up was messy and the house smelled of KaBoom for days. However, I started with your cleaner (which worked), but cleaning up the residue was time consuming. So, I used straight peroxide and a scrub brush. After a couple of seconds of scrubbing, it looked better than either of the other two. Clean up was much easier, too; and there was no smell.
    Now, I’m going to try your carpet cleaning formula with the ammonia and iron. Thanks!!