We have been experiencing such a beautiful FALL season this year….I really can’t stand the thought of leaving it behind for the fast-approaching (and inevitable) long, cold WINTER season ahead. Of course Winter does have its’ own charms. The sights and sounds and SMELLS of the holiday season are a treat for the senses.
Cinnamon, pine cones, cloves, nutmeg, vanilla and citrus are some of my favorites!
Here is a lovely “recipe” for making your own intoxicating “Winter Potpourri” I found at FactoryDirectCraft.com that is sure to ease the Fall-to-Winter transition just a bit.
Things you need:
- Oranges and Lemons (thinner skins are best)
- Sharp kitchen knife
- Baking sheet and silicone cooking mat
- Cinnamon sticks
- Pine cones
- Orris Root
- Whole cloves and nutmegs
- Vanilla beans (you can use one you have removed the seeds from!)
Things to do:
1. Slice your citrus fruit in ¼ inch slices and bake on the silicone mat at 200 degrees for three hours, flipping them each hour.
2. Once they are dry, toss in a wide bowl (you don’t want moisture to get trapped in the bowl), mix with the remaining ingredients until you are satisfied with the scent. Orris Root is a must as it helps keep your potpourri fresh!
Not only will this fragrant concoction make your home smell divine….it also will complement your seasonal decor and makes a great gift too!