{THE} Cure For Dry, Cracked Heels and Feet!

If you have ever suffered from dry, cracked heels you KNOW how annoying and even PAINFUL it can be. And based on the number of lotions, creams, balms, ointments, salves, scrubs, etc out there…this is a COMMON problem. If you Google “how to cure dry, cracked heels” you will get 1,000,000 results in 0.18 seconds! Over the years I feel like I have tried ALL ONE MILLION! But about 5 years ago I found the “real cure”…and while it seems like a ‘MIRACLE CURE’, it’s actually just good science.

Recently I saw an online article posted on the website of KSL-TV, a local television station. It was a “new” way of treating sore, cracked feet that involves using Shaving Cream and Listerine! Now I am not discounting this idea AT ALL! It actually appeals to the side of me that loves a “homemade” version of just about anything.  But it got me thinking about my cracked heels “miracle cure”, and made me want to share it with you!

I have suffered from EXTREMELY DRY, CRACKED HEELS for YEARS (among other serious foot issues)! About 5 years ago I had a serious foot wound that would not heal (no, I’m not diabetic) and was even required to undergo several weeks of daily Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy treatments. It was while under the care of Wound Specialists at the hospital that I FINALLY found the “cure” for my painful, dry, cracked heels. The doctors noticed how bad my heels were and recommended a cream that is primarily used in Wound Care called…Atrac-Tain Moisturizing Cream.

It’s not carried in pharmacies, but you can order it online. I’ve ordered it HERE and HERE before. It’s approximately $15-$18 for a 5 ounce tube…but a little goes a long way!

I’ve done a fair amount of research on this stuff because I was AMAZED at how well it worked for me and wanted to know WHY!?   So for what it’s worth……………….

Atrac-tain contains 10% Urea and 4% AHA. Those are the “miracle” parts of this “miracle cure”.

Urea is a chemical compound found in urine, although it is also made artificially. (So don’t worry, there is no URINE in this cream!) Urea is basically a moisture magnet. It literally attracts water to dry skin cells.

AHA, or alpha hydroxy acid, is a skin care product ingredient made from fruit, milk or sugar cane that penetrates dead skin cells and loosens the molecular bonds that attach them to the underlying tissues. The loosened cells slough off, exposing newer skin.

For those of you who have suffered from this ailment…this combination is the “miracle” you’ve been looking for.

If you don’t believe me….click here to read page after page of people RAVING about this stuff. People who have suffered from serious skin conditions….including eczema and lymphedema.

And just an FYI…if you suffer from dry and cracked fingers, knuckles, etc…it will do the same thing for your hands!  Just the act of putting the lotion on my feet resulted in much softer hands too!  BONUS!

My METHOD of using “the cure”:
  • Wash feet (preferably let them soak for awhile until the dry skin is softened)
  • Slather Atrac-tain cream onto feet. (Make sure you purchase the CREAM…not the lotion.)
  • Put on socks.
  • Go to bed.

You will literally notice a difference overnight! Keep on using nightly until dead, dry skin is gone and cracks have healed. After that, use as needed.

I hope this helps some fellow dry skin sufferers out there to once again find their
HAPPY FEET!   :-)

Share on Facebook53Tweet about this on Twitter3Pin on Pinterest12,347Google+1

Comments

1. Anonymous says

Hi Jill I am new to your blog and LOVE seeing everything you do! I first came across your English Muffin bread from Pinterest the other night and made my first 2 loaves the next day! Yummy!! But I wanted to know where you buy this AtracTain product online for a good price. It sure varies and I called my local Walgreens to see if they carry it and they don't, do any retail stores carry it?? Thanks!!
    Genevieve

2. CeeBee says

I am so desperate to find something that will heal my cracked cuticles too! I pick the dryness – its worse than biting my nails! i can't stand it anymore! I won't even wear my rings because my hands and nails are such a mess! At night i slather neosporin on my cuticle – it helps – but only for the night. I am going to try this cream – I hope it works for me too! thank you!!

3. Celeste Lux says

Now for something completely different. I have been taking food grade diatomaceous Earth for almost a month now (heaping teaspoon every morning in juice). My reasons had nothing to do with cracked heals and rough skin, but as of about a week ago, the change in my skin has been amazing! My cracked heals and rough skin on my feet have disappeared, and my skin all over feels extremely soft and wonderful. My husband, who is also taking it, is experiencing the same thing. DE is also very inexpensive and good for all kinds of things including getting spots out of your carpet. Do the research, but it might be worth taking into consideration for rough skin treatment.

4. Heather Walker says

Just wanted to pass this on to readers, Atrac-Tain is really wonderful, but you have to make sure that you use sunscreen when using this product because it makes you extra sensitive to the sun. Also, be sure that you protect your little ones!

5. Elle says

This sounds really great, but, unfortunately the price is def not great! :( My ‘cure’ is Flexitol Heel Balm which is thankfully easy to find has even more Urea – 25% and is much less expensive!!

6. Michelle says

I just came across this post and wanted to add that I’ve tried everything for my extremely cracked heels and nothing has helped, not even the prescription cream, until I tried CRISCO!! Yes, good old cooking Crisco. I slather it all over my feet at night and then put socks on. Use a pumice in the shower in the morning and after only a couple days, my feet were 90% better! I don’t do it every night, but here and there now as needed. I swear by it!

7. Mendy A. says

Hi Jillee,
    I just could not go another minute without saying how much I love your blog. I have bookmarked so many of your tips and posts that I just need to stop and remember when I want to know how to do something (almost anything) economically, with products I have around the house, or just plain out the right way, I just need to check your site first! Love, love your blog and needed to let you know!

8. Comet says

Something else to try that is available at Walmart and other drug stores is AQUAPHOR. This comes in a tub or a tube and works extremely well for all skin issues. After I had a partial amputation of the foot and a skin graft the plastic surgeon instructed me to use this on both the graft donor site (the single most painful type of wound ever–and I have now done it TWICE from the SAME spot!) and the new spot covered by the skin graft. I have extremely fair skin and the upper thigh is albino white. After using the AQUAPHOR for a few weeks the graft donor site healed and can no longer be seen. The site that the donor skin is covering was fully healed an very short order thanks to a WOUND-VAC and the AQUAPHOR and altho due to the location (top of the foot) it will never be smooth it has no issues as a lot of skin graft patients get. I also used this in an attempt to heal up a foot abrasion caused by a badly fitted orthotic shoe–one of those custom made jobbies. I ended up having to have that operated on as well and a skin graft placed–back to the AQUAPHOR and WOUND-VAC routine and it healed up very very well—well enough to walk on months before the MD’s thought I would be able to.

Some people have used this after a shower to “seal” in moisture but I just rub it on morning and night on whatever is dry. Don’t try and save a few pennies on the store “brand” of this tho it is NOT the same. Also seems to help with the itching from dry skin patches. Great for sun and windburn–if I am going to ride our motorcycle in the windy weather we get here up North I will rub some on my face before we ride off. Helps keep moisture in my skin!

Tea tree oil and Bio Oil are also good for areas where rubbing a thicker cream might be painful or awkward. Tea tree has natural anti-biotic properties also.

9. Debra says

I found your website yesterday and have literally spent hours on here! LOVE IT! Just FYI, I have used Flexitol Heel Balm and it works wonders….not nearly as expensive, and you can find it at drug stores. It has 25% urea and other great ingredients too! :)

10. MJ says

Mayonaise. At Carpenteria State Beach (California) we got a lot of tar on our feet, as tar is a natually occurring thing there. The campgound host told us to put mayonaise on our feet and the tar would come right off. It did. But a wonderful side effect came along with it. Allowing the mayonaise to remain on your feet for 15 minutes or so, really does get those dry cracking heels well on their way to healing up.

11. Ann Baird says

Another suggestion is Barielle Foot Care Cream. I’ve been using it for about 30 years. It isn’t cheap either if you pay full retail, but I’ve found it at TJMAXX off and on for years. I stock up when I find it there. It’s about 1/3 of the regular price. Comes in a jar or tube.

12. Chris Murphy says

I bought this “cream” and it is amazing and it works ! I’ve tried many of Jillee’s DIY and everything has been perfect so I trusted her thus would work I’ve tried countless things and even something from the dermatologist to no avail but thus cream is amazing only on day 2 and can already see a huge difference
    Thank you Jillee!!!!!!

13. Deb says

Are the other ingredients listed on the container? Would you be able to list them? Can’t seem to find them online. I need to be careful what ingredients (like Citric Acid I cannot use) are in each product I use (which is why I try to make my own lotions, etc.). Thanks!