Homemade CREAMY Pudding Pops

I have a secret. I have a somewhat obsessive personality.
(Those who know me best have probably just spit their coffee/diet coke/beverage of choice all over their computer screen!)

One of the things I tend to obsess about is food. Or more specifically…once I find something I LIKE…I tend to eat it….often. :-)

A few years ago I discovered my infatuation with FROZEN fruit. It started with FROZEN grapes…and escalated to FROZEN bananas.  If you haven’t ever tried them that way…I HIGHLY recommend it!

Lately, however, my FROZEN FOOD obsession has degenerated to these frozen concoctions…..Creamies Ice Cream Bars. I’m partial to the chocolate.

A few days ago I found these on Pinterest and, as usual, I was intrigued. I love “homemade” versions of my favorite stuff. They are usually far superior AND cheaper!

After some very quick and rudimentary
calculations on my part:

1 box of (6) Creamies is roughly $2.50 (usually a little more)

1 box of chocolate pudding roughly $1.25
1 container of whipped topping roughly $2.00
3 cups milk $0.25 ???
Total: $3.50 for approximately (16) of Jillee’s Creamy Pudding Pops

In the past I’ve only seen this type recipe from the Kraft company for homemade fudge popsicles.

Jell-o Pudding Pops
from Kraft
what you need
1 pkg. (3.9 oz.) JELL-O Chocolate Instant Pudding
2 cups  cold milk
make it
BEAT ingredients with whisk 2 min.
POUR into 6 paper or plastic cups. Insert wooden pop stick or plastic spoon in center of each cup.
FREEZE 5 hours or until firm. Peel off paper cups before serving.

Not bad…but lacking that CREAMY thing. This is the recipe I found on Pinterest. Adding the Cool Whip….genius!

Healthy Recipe Jello Pudding Pops
from Sports N Fitness

1 package JELL-O Chocolate Sugar-Free Pudding
2 cups Fat-Free Milk
1 cup Sugar-Free Cool Whip

1. Beat pudding mix & milk in medium bowl with whisk for about 2min.
2. Stir in Sugar-Free Cool Whip.
3. Spoon mix into small paper/plastic cups.
4. Insert wooden sticks into the middle of each.
5. Freeze for 4 hours or until firm.
- To remove from cups, run under warm water.

As you can see…this recipe has been “healthy-fied”.  (Terrible word…I know. Can’t think of a better one.) I decided to recreate it in a more “civilized” fashion and put a little bit of the fat and flavor back into them.

Here is my version:

Jillee’s Creamy Pudding Pops

1 large box chocolate pudding
3 cups cold milk
2 cups frozen whipped topping (Cool Whip)

(Use same instructions as above to freeze into pops.)

==============================================

UPDATE: 11/27/11
For my second batch I decided to try adding some sweetness (these were a little less sweet than my beloved Creamies). I added some powdered sugar. Started with 1/2 cup and I think I ended up putting about a cup in before I thought it was the right sweetness.  Liked this batch much better! :-)

==============================================

I didn’t actually have any small paper/plastic cups handy…so I improvised. I experimented with a few different things I had laying around.

Experiment results:
avoid the glass mason jars and styrofoam cups. The pops POPPED right out of the plastic cup and the plastic baby food container.

Here are just a bunch of random pictures of my creamy pudding pop making session:

Overall thoughts and observations:  DELICIOUS!  Cold, creamy and inexpensive! Fellow FROZEN FOOD enthusiasts like me should definitely try it! :-)

And that’s today’s….

Share on Facebook544Tweet about this on Twitter11Pin on Pinterest226826Google+2

Comments

1. Heather Jean says

Cool Whip has a lot of hydrogenated fat. Let's try something a little different:

Whip up some heavy cream and sugar to make whipped cream.

Use half-and-half instead of the milk for the pudding.

Mix whipped cream into pudding.

Voila! You now have mousse. Which is really what these are anyway, mousse cups.

Also, I suggest using muffin tins or silicone baking/ice/jello molds. Those things would work fantastic for such a project.

2. Mary says

I searched the web for a low calorie pudding pop and your “healthy-fied” is by far the best and easiest recipe. I played around with the recipe and found adding l tube of Starbucks Via ready brew coffee to the milk, (any instant will do) and no calorie sweetener or sugar to taste (I used two individual packs of Equal) made the pops richer and creamier. For an even yummier, creamier pop use 1 1/2 cups milk and 1/4 cup Bailey’s Irish Cream. The calorie count goes up but trust me, it’s worth it :)
    Do I even need to say these are for adults only?

3. suz says

Sounds good, BUT do they have that layer of ice like the original pudding pops did!?! Once you got through that lil bit of ice you were rewarded with the puddingy creamyness of pure yummm.Man do I miss those…what’s worse is I can’t find too many people who remember them:(

• Jill says

I remember pudding pops. My mother made them years ago only using jello coked chocalate pudding and real whipped ceam. She froze then in a 9×13 cake pan. I think it had a slide-on cover.
      She may have added a bit of vanilla extract to the whipped cream. She called it homemade icecream and scooped it out to four very excited kids and Dad of course. Yummy! I call it Ma’s chocolate icecream when I make now in honor of the best mom in the world!

4. Ranee Walker says

Hi! I am forty-one years old and from the midwest. I was wondering if anyone remembers “GOODIN PUDDIN”? They came out before JELLO Pudding Pops i think. They were sooo good, and i swear they were so cold i think they almost always made my tongue stick to them!!!! OUCH

5. Jessie says

I tried these and they came out with a good taste, but not the creamy texture I was hoping for. They were very icy–like you could feel the ice crystals in your mouth instead of a smooth creaminess. Has anyone tried this with cooked pudding?

6. Erin says

I loved the chocolate vanilla swirl ones…I wonder if I could mix in some mini chocolate chips to vanilla pudding pops or chocolate covered espresso beans to the chocolate pudding pops.

7. Kimberly says

Do yourself a favor and don’t try mixing the recipe that includes Cool Wip in your stand mixer. Mine churgged along fine for about 30 seconds and then exploded chocolate mess all over the kitchen. It must have hit a hard chunk of Cool Wip. If you really want to use your stand mixer, use caution and hold a towel over the bowl or maybe break up the chunks of Cool Wip with a fork before you start whisking.

8. Kelley says

Saved again by the Jillee Blog! I have saved so much with the grate free laundry detergent recipe. I am without cool whip however thanks to your blog I am inspired to improvise and make some of these along with my old school homemade jello and koolaide popsicle recipe. I really think you may need to rename your blog to so many good things by Jillee! THANK YOU! Keep up the amazing work!

9. deb says

You know – I have a similar recipe but it uses two cups of vanilla ice cream instead of cool whip. It’s excellent, and a good quality vanilla ice cream is a great base! Any flavour instant pudding works, and you can use your imagination to add ‘accessories’. I’m still going to try this one, though!