Saturday, November 19, 2011

Homemade CREAMY Pudding Pops

I have a secret. I have a somewhat obsessive personality.
(Those who know me best have probably just spit their coffee/diet coke/beverage of choice all over their computer screen!)

One of the things I tend to obsess about is food. Or more specifically…once I find something I LIKE…I tend to eat it….often. :-)

A few years ago I discovered my infatuation with FROZEN fruit. It started with FROZEN grapes…and escalated to FROZEN bananas.  If you haven’t ever tried them that way…I HIGHLY recommend it!

Lately, however, my FROZEN FOOD obsession has degenerated to these frozen concoctions…..Creamies Ice Cream Bars. I’m partial to the chocolate.

A few days ago I found these on Pinterest and, as usual, I was intrigued. I love “homemade” versions of my favorite stuff. They are usually far superior AND cheaper!

After some very quick and rudimentary
calculations on my part:

1 box of (6) Creamies is roughly $2.50 (usually a little more)

1 box of chocolate pudding roughly $1.25
1 container of whipped topping roughly $2.00
3 cups milk $0.25 ???
Total: $3.50 for approximately (16) of Jillee’s Creamy Pudding Pops

In the past I’ve only seen this type recipe from the Kraft company for homemade fudge popsicles.

Jell-o Pudding Pops
from Kraft
what you need
1 pkg. (3.9 oz.) JELL-O Chocolate Instant Pudding
2 cups  cold milk
make it
BEAT ingredients with whisk 2 min.
POUR into 6 paper or plastic cups. Insert wooden pop stick or plastic spoon in center of each cup.
FREEZE 5 hours or until firm. Peel off paper cups before serving.

Not bad…but lacking that CREAMY thing. This is the recipe I found on Pinterest. Adding the Cool Whip….genius!

Healthy Recipe Jello Pudding Pops
from Sports N Fitness

1 package JELL-O Chocolate Sugar-Free Pudding
2 cups Fat-Free Milk
1 cup Sugar-Free Cool Whip

1. Beat pudding mix & milk in medium bowl with whisk for about 2min.
2. Stir in Sugar-Free Cool Whip.
3. Spoon mix into small paper/plastic cups.
4. Insert wooden sticks into the middle of each.
5. Freeze for 4 hours or until firm.
- To remove from cups, run under warm water.

As you can see…this recipe has been “healthy-fied”.  (Terrible word…I know. Can’t think of a better one.) I decided to recreate it in a more “civilized” fashion and put a little bit of the fat and flavor back into them.

Here is my version:

Jillee’s Creamy Pudding Pops

1 large box chocolate pudding
3 cups cold milk
2 cups frozen whipped topping (Cool Whip)

(Use same instructions as above to freeze into pops.)

==============================================

UPDATE: 11/27/11
For my second batch I decided to try adding some sweetness (these were a little less sweet than my beloved Creamies). I added some powdered sugar. Started with 1/2 cup and I think I ended up putting about a cup in before I thought it was the right sweetness.  Liked this batch much better! :-)

==============================================

I didn’t actually have any small paper/plastic cups handy…so I improvised. I experimented with a few different things I had laying around.

Experiment results:
avoid the glass mason jars and styrofoam cups. The pops POPPED right out of the plastic cup and the plastic baby food container.

Here are just a bunch of random pictures of my creamy pudding pop making session:

Overall thoughts and observations:  DELICIOUS!  Cold, creamy and inexpensive! Fellow FROZEN FOOD enthusiasts like me should definitely try it! :-)

And that’s today’s….

Never miss a good thing!
Receive a daily dose of Jillee + bonus newsletters.

29 thoughts on “Homemade CREAMY Pudding Pops

1. Heather Jean

Cool Whip has a lot of hydrogenated fat. Let's try something a little different:

Whip up some heavy cream and sugar to make whipped cream.

Use half-and-half instead of the milk for the pudding.

Mix whipped cream into pudding.

Voila! You now have mousse. Which is really what these are anyway, mousse cups.

Also, I suggest using muffin tins or silicone baking/ice/jello molds. Those things would work fantastic for such a project.

2. Debbob

Have you seen the recipe for fudge pops using 1/3 C nutella to 1 C milk ( I believe that was the ratio) to make 6 frozen pops?
    I am curious as to how they compare.

3. Jeanette

I think your version sounds a lot better. I plan to make these the next time my grandsons come to visit. They’ll love them. Even the “healthy-fied” version.

4. Mary

I searched the web for a low calorie pudding pop and your “healthy-fied” is by far the best and easiest recipe. I played around with the recipe and found adding l tube of Starbucks Via ready brew coffee to the milk, (any instant will do) and no calorie sweetener or sugar to taste (I used two individual packs of Equal) made the pops richer and creamier. For an even yummier, creamier pop use 1 1/2 cups milk and 1/4 cup Bailey’s Irish Cream. The calorie count goes up but trust me, it’s worth it :)
    Do I even need to say these are for adults only?

5. suz

Sounds good, BUT do they have that layer of ice like the original pudding pops did!?! Once you got through that lil bit of ice you were rewarded with the puddingy creamyness of pure yummm.Man do I miss those…what’s worse is I can’t find too many people who remember them:(

6. Pingback: {Pinning!} 10 Pumpkin Projects to Make

7. Ranee Walker

Hi! I am forty-one years old and from the midwest. I was wondering if anyone remembers “GOODIN PUDDIN”? They came out before JELLO Pudding Pops i think. They were sooo good, and i swear they were so cold i think they almost always made my tongue stick to them!!!! OUCH

8. Jessie

I tried these and they came out with a good taste, but not the creamy texture I was hoping for. They were very icy–like you could feel the ice crystals in your mouth instead of a smooth creaminess. Has anyone tried this with cooked pudding?

9. Susan Smith

Has anyone tried putting chopped nuts in the bottom of the containers? I can’t wait to try your version of pudding pops!
    Thanks!

10. Pingback: How To Make Your Own Chocolate Pudding Pops — Homestead and Survival

11. Erin

I loved the chocolate vanilla swirl ones…I wonder if I could mix in some mini chocolate chips to vanilla pudding pops or chocolate covered espresso beans to the chocolate pudding pops.

12. claire

you got me thinking, vanilla pudding, whipped cream, from powerderd milk, less fat a nd a splash or orange extract…and blahh blah blah… a cream sick-alle…..!

13. Pingback: Receta para paletas congeladas de pudín de chocolate | SUPERAD, Miles de imagenes para Postear

14. Sammy

Hi. I really enjoy your website, and have featured your recipe for creamy pudding pops on the blog I help with. Keep up the good work!

15. Pingback: 30 of the Best Blogs Presenting Inexpensive Ways to Make Frozen Snack Pops at Home « Au Pair Care

16. Kimberly

Do yourself a favor and don’t try mixing the recipe that includes Cool Wip in your stand mixer. Mine churgged along fine for about 30 seconds and then exploded chocolate mess all over the kitchen. It must have hit a hard chunk of Cool Wip. If you really want to use your stand mixer, use caution and hold a towel over the bowl or maybe break up the chunks of Cool Wip with a fork before you start whisking.

17. Pingback: Healthy Jello Pudding Pops | What2Cook