Fighting Acne With Oil!

oil cleansing methodSounds crazy right?

Well, allow me to explain…..

Just over two weeks ago I “DARED” you to wash your face with OIL and see how you liked it. I took the same dare and began my “14 Day Oil Cleansing Method Challenge”. You can see the original post here:  Wash Your Face With Oil…I Dare You!

I went and purchased the oils and mixed them up in this cute little decanter. I also bought some clean, white cloths and a new stretchy headband. I was ready to do this thing right!
Well, after 14 days I’m here to report that OCM now has another devotee!
My skin feels and looks cleaner and clearer and it has evened out my dry vs oily areas. I think that’s the think I like the most! My oily areas were REALLY oily…and my dry areas were REALLY dry. The oils have helped bring back the balance my skin was needing so badly! It still sounds a little bit crazy…but I can’t argue with the results.

The first time you try it you will think to yourself…I must be out of my mind! Rubbing OIL into your face is so contrary to all so-called skin care systems out there. All we ever hear is how this wash or that soap will get RID of the oil on your face. I go into more detail about why this is a completely backwards idea on the original post, so I won’t rehash it here. But after reading about it…it just makes sense.

That is why I was anxious to try this cleansing method in the first place. AND…why I was anxious to convince my daughter to try it too. She and I had been having this “difference of opinion” over the expensive ProActiv acne treatment she’d been using for well over a year. She swore it was the only thing that worked….but then why was she still struggling with breakouts?

I finally convinced (OK…maybe bribed is a better word) her to take the 14 day challenge with me and since she was struggling with acne issues…we decided to take the advice of Briana who left this comment after the original post:

oil cleansing method

oil cleansing method

While I stuck with the sunflower and castor oil mixture I’d made, I gave my daughter my bottle of Tea Tree Oil to try as well.

Well, after two weeks Miss Skeptical is now a believer. Here is her experience, in her own words:  (and I didn’t even edit out the part where she has the nerve to call me “demanding”!) ;-)

Britta writes:

“I’ll admit that I was pretty skeptical about the “Oil Cleansing” method. I have really uneven skin (thanks Dad), so the idea of rubbing oil into the already oily areas on my face seemed like a bad idea. But my mom was insistent that I try it, to the point that she mixed the oils for me, gave me some washcloths and some headbands, and basically demanded that I take them with me. I’m not one to try and argue with my mother when she has her mind set on something, so I went home and dutifully tried it. At the time, I was having some serious dryness around my mouth and nose thanks to one of the store-bought acne washes I had tried a couple days before. And I was shocked to see that ONE treatment with the oils essentially fixed all that dryness. After that, I was way more inclined to keep using it.
I have been using the Oil Cleansing Method for a couple weeks now and I am thrilled with the results. My face is clearer, my skin is healthier, and my skin tone is way more even – no more oily or dry patches. I have been dabbing some Tea Tree Oil on my more “problematic blemishes”, and they start healing almost immediately. If you are considering trying this method for a clearer face, I would definitely recommend it. And the best part is it’s SUPER cheap, which is awesome for the acne-prone, but broke, college student.”

So there you have it! A completely unbiased (almost reluctant!) review of the Oil Cleansing Method from the “acne-prone, broke, college student”. It doesn’t get much more authentic than that people! :-)

Now that OUR 14-day challenge has concluded…..don’t you want to try it too???

Share on Facebook148Tweet about this on Twitter1Pin on Pinterest7,273Google+6

Comments

1. Prudence Puddleduck says

I ran out and bought the oils as well, I hope it works on old duck skin! I will report back. thank you I love your blog…♥Debi

2. G says

I hereby challenge you to find me an alternative to my moisturizer WITH SPF. I'm a fair-skinned (with freckles) redhead who loves being in the sun (I run and ride mountain bikes a lot) so I definitely need something with SPF.

I adore your blog, by the way!

G, I too am fair skinned, freckles, but light brown hair. I use a mineral foundation with SPF in it and it works like a charm! I just started using the oil method (6 days in and LOVE IT) but always used the mineral foundation for my every day face sunscreen. I hope it helps! Mineral foundation is very light and doesn’t look like you’re wearing anything so its helpful! and doesn’t make your skin look super white like the iron oxide sunscreens do. Its a win win!

3. Anonymous says

Hi Jillee, enjoy your blog. I have a ?. This is a quote from your source post:
    "This deep cleansing method should be done regularly, but not too frequently"
    Does this mean this oil cleaning method should not be done nightly???
    Thanks

4. Jill Nystul says

G…..challenge accepted! :-) And thank you for the blog love!

Anony….Good question! I don't do it nightly because (as odd as it sounds) it can be too drying for me. BUT, that being said…it may be that I need to adjust the ratio of castor oil I use. I have read elsewhere that using this nightly is perfectly fine. As long as you have a mixture that is working for you. I actually might try olive oil in my next batch. I've heard good things about this too. Hope this helps!

5. Jill Nystul says

G…..challenge accepted! :-) And thank you for the blog love!

6. Karyn says

Hello, again, Jill! I have been waiting for your update before trying this method. My skin is so very oily and at 37 years old, I'm dealing with more acne than I ever did as a teenager! I'm going to the store today to purchase the oils for the challenge! I'm also going to try and convince my husband, who has extra dry skin, to try it too. I'll keep you posted.

7. The Happy Camper says

Love your blog, I've tried several things on it and have been very pleased AND it's fun! I've done the oil cleansing off and on since your original post and I agree, I love it. It takes make up off on believably, it feels good on my skin and my skin looks better. I have rosascea, so I'm curious to see if I see improvement in that after being more consistent. I'm using a mix of about 2/3 olive oil and 1/3 castor oil. Keep the good info coming! I wonder what tea tree oil would do for my rosascea? Thank you!