Clone of a Cinnabon

cinnnabon

I stumbled across this recipe a few weeks ago and it has been haunting me ever since.  I hear it calling to me…..”bake me! BAKE ME!”
Seems like the PERFECT Sunday activity….and what do ya know!?  It’s Sunday! :-)

Clone of a Cinnabon
By: Marsha Fernandez

Ingredients

1 cup warm milk (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
2 eggs, room temperature

1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt

Directions
Place ingredients in the pan of the bread machine in the order recommended by the manufacturer. Select dough cycle; press Start.
After the dough has doubled in size turn it out onto a lightly floured surface, cover and let rest for 10 minutes. In a small bowl, combine brown sugar and cinnamon.
Roll dough into a 16×21 inch rectangle. Spread dough with 1/3 cup butter and sprinkle evenly with sugar/cinnamon mixture. Roll up dough and cut into 12 rolls. Place rolls in a lightly greased 9×13 inch baking pan. Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, about 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).

Bake rolls in preheated oven until golden brown, about 15 minutes. While rolls are baking, beat together cream cheese, 1/4 cup butter, confectioners’ sugar, vanilla extract and salt. Spread frosting on warm rolls before serving.

Print Friendly
Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter2Pin on Pinterest978Google+1

Comments

1. AVM Survivor says

My first job was working at cinnabon and I still make them at home today…The only thing I would add to the recipe is a little lemon to the cream cheese frosting. Yum. :)

2. Jill Nystul says

AVM….that is brilliant! Thank you for the suggestion…I LOVE LOVE LOVE lemon! This sound perfect!

• charmom says

Please let me know how I can make these without a bread machine. I’m so anxious to try these for my kids, but I don’t have a bread machine!! Can anyone give me instructions for this recipe without a bread machine.

3. Kim's Gourmet and Garden Diary says

I've been making this recipe for years. I got it from the baker's forum on King Arthur Flour's web site. I would recommend using 3 tsp. yeast because sweeter doughs make the yeast sluggish. I use SAF gold yeast which is designed for sweet doughs and still use 3 tsp. Also, the key is using Vietnamese cinnamon which is one of the highest quality and strongest flavored. That's what Cinnabon uses. I use King Arthur Flour's cinnamon filling mix that you just add water to and slather on. It's amazing! I just made these a couple days ago. Oh, one more tip, if you want them more tender, try King Arthur Flour's Perfect Pastry Blend. A cross between an all-purpose and pastry flour. Similar to what southerners use.

4. Kim's Gourmet and Garden Diary says

Ok, I just thought of two more things I learned from Julia Child. After you roll the dough, put it on a cookie sheet and put in freezer for 15-30 minutes to firm it up. Mark where you want to cut each slice and slide waxed but non-flavored dental floss under and cross over the marks to cut each slice. Lot less messy and you don't get the smooshed rolls from sawing with a knife.

5. Anonymous says

I have also been making this recipe for years and frequently make it with half king aurthur white whole wheat and half bread flour.

I use real sugar in the dough but sub out splenda for the glaze and half splenda/brownsugar blend for the filing. They are really delicious.

Super easy hint for cutting rolled dough: use unflavored dental floss. Measure out a good long lenth. Slide under the dough to where you want to cut, bring both ends around until they cross and pull tightly and swiftly. Sort of a dough garrotte. Floss is also a great way to cut sheet cakes on the go, like at a party.

You can also let them raise overnight in the fridge and pull about a 1/2 hour before baking in the am.

6. Ashley says

I can attest to the awesomeness of these cinnamon rolls. I have made them maybe 5 or 6 times now, and they might be my favorite thing in the world. I don’t own a bread machine, so I make them by hand. When I’m done glazing them, I stand back, look at my creation, and I feel like a pastry chef!

7. danielle wolski says

could i possibly freeze these and take them out to bake? would i let them rise before i freeze them or after i take them out?

8. Crystal Cartwright says

I just pulled my first pan of these out of the oven and I am in awe! Oh my…delicious!

9. Cheryl says

Hi
    OK so I made these – wonderful by the way – but I have to share my tip. My kitchen is quite cold and it seems to affect my buns as they are rising. So came up with an idea to give it a little boost – after I wrapped the bowl in saran wrap and placing a tea towel over it I put my heating pad on top of that and it made for a mini proofer! Genious – made them rise in no time!