Make Your Own SIMPLE Moisturizing Lotion

I have been wanting to make my own lotion for a LONG time! But I haven’t been able to find QUITE the right “recipe” for me. There are as many formulations for lotion out there as there are fish in the sea it seems! Heavy, light. Greasy, non-greasy. Scented, unscented.  etc etc etc. To be honest I wasn’t exactly sure what I wanted…but knew I would know it when I found it.  Sure enough…I did!

I found this semi-homemade version on PatchworkTimes.com and thought it sounded like just the ticket for me. Simple, inexpensive ingredients and no melting or cooking required. Funny thing is I recently bought some beeswax pellets online in preparation for making lotion…but have yet to use any of it. I might have to find another project that requires beeswax…because I LOVE this lotion! It’s rich and creamy and yet not too heavy…and it smells heavenly! I just love the smell of baby lotion. :-)

The original recipe called for: 16 oz. baby lotion8 oz. Vaseline, and 8 oz. Vitamin E Cream

But after consulting with my staff of advisors (my sisters), we decided to try replacing the Vaseline with Coconut Oil. The result was LOTION PERFECTION! It’s thick, but not heavy, so it’s very moisturizing but doesn’t leave your hands (feet, etc) feeling greasy. Oh, and did I mention how good it smells!?!?  I was considering adding some essential oils to make my own “scented lotion”, but thought better of it when I smelled this.

My sisters and I immediately started slathering this stuff on and my oldest sister said it reminded her of her favorite Burt’s Bees lotion, but at a FRACTION of the cost.

So here is the revised
Homemade Moisturizing Lotion:

16 ounces baby lotion
8 ounces coconut oil (solid form, not melted)
8 ounces vitamin E cream

Mix together with handheld mixer until it resembles icing.

Store in air tight containers…keep it for your own supply…or slap on a quick little label for gift-giving!

I gave one to each of my sisters’s that were visiting. :-)

Cost breakdown:

Nutiva Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil $7.00
Dollar Store Baby Lotion $1.50
Dollar Store Vitamin E Cream $1.50

Use roughly half the jar of coconut oil, the whole bottle of baby lotion and 1/2 the jar of vitamin E Cream.

Approximate cost: $5.75 for roughly 32 ounces. Or $1.44 for each 8 ounce jar I filled.

Ready? Set? MOISTURIZE! ;-)

{{{Update:  Here’s a fun idea!  Put on one of those pump tops! Find out how to MAKE one on this post:  Make Your Own Mason Jar Dispenser}}}

Share on Facebook1,128Tweet about this on Twitter0Pin on Pinterest0Google+13

Comments

1. Becki says

Ahhh!! I can’t wait to make this!! This sounds so wonderful! Thank you for the recipe :)

2. Brenda says

I recently tried making this using coconut oil. Big mistake for me in Texas. It was solid when I bought it but soon liquified. Coconut oil must be kept below 76 degrees or it liquifies. Wasted lots of product. Think I need to use something different instead of the coconut oil. Any suggestions for my next batch?

• Caren says

Brenda, there is a coconut oil that melts at 92 degrees, that would be better for you, still may get melty on those very hot days.

• Nancy says

An elderly woman with beautiful skin gave me a similar recipe years ago when I moved to the south. Hers just required baby lotion, small jar of Vaseline, and a container of Vitamin E cream (she advised me to “cut the top off your lotion bottle” to get the product that doesn’t get squeezed out – so I did and there was nearly a half cup still inside!). I picked up everything at the Dollar Store, so it probably runs about $6 a batch. I swim in a chlorinated pool every day and this recipe keeps my skin smooth and soft. Love it!

• Carole says

Can you tell me the size bottles or jars you use for the recipe. How do you put it together ie, double boiler. Thanks for your help.

• Jenna says

It may seem to be a bit in convenient, but you could always store your lotion in the refrigerator. It it’s that hot, then cool lotion just might hit the spot. ;)

• Raye love says

Especially if you’re going through menopause….I wanna climb in the fridge my self sometimes. LOL

3. Brenda Turnblom says

I love this recipe! I put it in 1/2-pint, wide mouth canning jars, and they make a beautiful gift. The first time my lotion had lumps of coconut oil that wouldn’t whip out, even with a wire beater on high speed. The second time I made this, I first melted the coconut oil in the microwave for one minute on high (in the bottle it came in). When I mixed the ingredients, they were smooth, and excellent consistency. There is no need to throw out coconut oil if it melts! Next time I make this, I will add bergamot essential oil, my favorite natural fragrance.

4. AliCat says

Where do you buy your coconut oil? I’ve gotten some at sprouts for 8.99 on sale (I love that kind) and then some refined stuff at whole foods for 6.99 (Im not too sure about this stuff)

5. Connie says

I recently tried the original recipe I saw on pinterest with the Vaseline and it is greasy so I will be trying yours in a small qty hopefully it will be better thanks

6. Jen says

Just an FYI for those who are concerned about this… Baby lotion typically contains mineral oil (as does baby oil), which is petroleum based (as is vaseline). Often people looking for homemade products are looking for something natural & actually good for your skin. I agree that vaseline makes your skin soft, however I choose not to put petroleum products on my skin. Our skin is an organ & it absorbs into us what we put on it. Chemicals & petroleum based products are off limits for me. If I won’t eat it, I typically won’t put it on my skin. So, if you’re concerned about the same thing, I would use more body friendly ingredients.

7. Gmasalis says

I have made both recipes. I did not like the one made with coconut oil. it did not mix well and had tiny lumps in it. also ,I noticed it separating a day or two later in the jars . The recipe with the vaseline is just as creamy as the day a made it, and the moisturizing last longer. I live in a very dry climate. harsh cold winters, and dry hot summers, what kind of climate you live in ?

8. Jennifer says

Im gonna try this with emu oil instead, I have excema on my arms and my ankles, and that seems to help a lot. Especially right after showering.

9. Gmasalis says

I have to re mix it every time I use it because the coconut oil has separated (again). It is very light and fluffy though I must say. Going to try and mix the petroleum free jelly kind next time instead of coconut oil although I am worried about the olive oil going rancid before I use a whole batch unless I store it in the fridge. My fav is still the vaseline recipe so far…..

10. Lisa Curtis says

I do not want to use coconut oil, nor petroleum jelly, what else can I use ? Has anyone added any essential oils ? when adding essential oil, do I change the quantity of any of the other liquids ? Thank you for your help. Am looking forward to trying this at some point when I can figure out the right items to use.

• Faith Redmond says

I used Natures way organic extra virgin coconut oil, Ojoba Collective shea butter (both from Amazon), vitamin E oil and few drops lemmon essential oil (Mountain Rose Herbs). Most of those are organic certified and while they might cost a little more, I still have plenty of ingredients left to make more lotion. I’ve had some tumor issues so for me organic is a must. I melted the shea and coconut oil together in glass measuring cup in microwave using 15 sec increments…took about 30 sec. Stirred it all together with few drops vitamin E and lemon essential oil. Made a water and ice bath in a bowl and set measuring cup with ingredients in the bath. Beat ingedients with a mixer until nice and fluffy. I live in Florida, if your coconut oil turns liquid (it does at 76F), stick in fridge for few minutes.

• Rose Myrtle says

Can’t wait to try your recipe, Faith!!!! Thanks for sharing! p.s. your name is pretty:)

• Fawn says

I make my own version of vaseline. Works great! In a double broiler or in a pan on low heat melt 1 part beeswax to 4 parts oil (whatever oil you like best). Let cool and homemade vaseline! Hope you like it! As far as essential oils, you shouldn’t need to change the liquid quantities at all.

• kcm says

Beeswax and oil (I use EVOO) is actually beneficial vs neutral (some will argue that petroleum jelly is not neutral, though) . In fact, olive oil all by itself is medicinal. This is superior for absorption to petroleum jelly (vaseline) based products. BW and OO absorb into the skin, whereas vaseline “seals” – so if you use essential oils (medicinal properties) the BW/OO combo will allow those properties to absorb. If you have horrible chapping tendencies due to extremely dry conditions, vaseline-based will help seal the skin against the dry conditions. THANK YOU JILLEE FOR THE RECIPE!

• Mavis says

Hi! Instead of coconut oil, try Crisco or store brand. It blends beautifully and has no harsh chemicals. As soon as it hits your skin, it begins to melt. Perfect for extra dry skin. Give it a try.

1. […] Looking for a new lotion? There are more formulas out there than you could ever imagine! If your skin is in need of some extra nourishment, then you really need to try DIY Moisturizing Lotion! Baby lotion, coconut oil (solid form), and vitamin E cream can turn into something amazing! Get the scoop-One Good Thing […]