Make Your Own SIMPLE Moisturizing Lotion

I have been wanting to make my own lotion for a LONG time! But I haven’t been able to find QUITE the right “recipe” for me. There are as many formulations for lotion out there as there are fish in the sea it seems! Heavy, light. Greasy, non-greasy. Scented, unscented.  etc etc etc. To be honest I wasn’t exactly sure what I wanted…but knew I would know it when I found it.  Sure enough…I did!

I found this semi-homemade version on PatchworkTimes.com and thought it sounded like just the ticket for me. Simple, inexpensive ingredients and no melting or cooking required. Funny thing is I recently bought some beeswax pellets online in preparation for making lotion…but have yet to use any of it. I might have to find another project that requires beeswax…because I LOVE this lotion! It’s rich and creamy and yet not too heavy…and it smells heavenly! I just love the smell of baby lotion. :-)

The original recipe called for: 16 oz. baby lotion8 oz. Vaseline, and 8 oz. Vitamin E Cream

But after consulting with my staff of advisors (my sisters), we decided to try replacing the Vaseline with Coconut Oil. The result was LOTION PERFECTION! It’s thick, but not heavy, so it’s very moisturizing but doesn’t leave your hands (feet, etc) feeling greasy. Oh, and did I mention how good it smells!?!?  I was considering adding some essential oils to make my own “scented lotion”, but thought better of it when I smelled this.

My sisters and I immediately started slathering this stuff on and my oldest sister said it reminded her of her favorite Burt’s Bees lotion, but at a FRACTION of the cost.

So here is the revised
Homemade Moisturizing Lotion:

16 ounces baby lotion
8 ounces coconut oil (solid form, not melted)
8 ounces vitamin E cream

Mix together with handheld mixer until it resembles icing.

Store in air tight containers…keep it for your own supply…or slap on a quick little label for gift-giving!

I gave one to each of my sisters’s that were visiting. :-)

Cost breakdown:

Nutiva Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil $7.00
Dollar Store Baby Lotion $1.50
Dollar Store Vitamin E Cream $1.50

Use roughly half the jar of coconut oil, the whole bottle of baby lotion and 1/2 the jar of vitamin E Cream.

Approximate cost: $5.75 for roughly 32 ounces. Or $1.44 for each 8 ounce jar I filled.

Ready? Set? MOISTURIZE! ;-)

{{{Update:  Here’s a fun idea!  Put on one of those pump tops! Find out how to MAKE one on this post:  Make Your Own Mason Jar Dispenser}}}

Share on Facebook1,124Tweet about this on Twitter0Pin on Pinterest0Google+13

Comments

1. Becki says

Ahhh!! I can’t wait to make this!! This sounds so wonderful! Thank you for the recipe :)

2. Suzanne says

Dawn,
    Essential oils are the natural extracts from plants and flowers, and can be used in many applications. They are best when bought as “pure”…no fake stuff added. You can find them at Whole Foods, or most any health food type store. My favorite is lavender. You can also get them online…just google “pure essential oils”. I hope I explained this right, and I hope it helps.

3. Brenda says

I recently tried making this using coconut oil. Big mistake for me in Texas. It was solid when I bought it but soon liquified. Coconut oil must be kept below 76 degrees or it liquifies. Wasted lots of product. Think I need to use something different instead of the coconut oil. Any suggestions for my next batch?

4. Brenda Turnblom says

I love this recipe! I put it in 1/2-pint, wide mouth canning jars, and they make a beautiful gift. The first time my lotion had lumps of coconut oil that wouldn’t whip out, even with a wire beater on high speed. The second time I made this, I first melted the coconut oil in the microwave for one minute on high (in the bottle it came in). When I mixed the ingredients, they were smooth, and excellent consistency. There is no need to throw out coconut oil if it melts! Next time I make this, I will add bergamot essential oil, my favorite natural fragrance.

5. AliCat says

Where do you buy your coconut oil? I’ve gotten some at sprouts for 8.99 on sale (I love that kind) and then some refined stuff at whole foods for 6.99 (Im not too sure about this stuff)

6. Jillee says

Alicat…the first time I bought it I just got it at Walmart…but then my sister turned me onto the Nutiva brand and I buy it through Amazon.com

7. Connie says

I recently tried the original recipe I saw on pinterest with the Vaseline and it is greasy so I will be trying yours in a small qty hopefully it will be better thanks

8. Jen says

Just an FYI for those who are concerned about this… Baby lotion typically contains mineral oil (as does baby oil), which is petroleum based (as is vaseline). Often people looking for homemade products are looking for something natural & actually good for your skin. I agree that vaseline makes your skin soft, however I choose not to put petroleum products on my skin. Our skin is an organ & it absorbs into us what we put on it. Chemicals & petroleum based products are off limits for me. If I won’t eat it, I typically won’t put it on my skin. So, if you’re concerned about the same thing, I would use more body friendly ingredients.

9. Gmasalis says

I have made both recipes. I did not like the one made with coconut oil. it did not mix well and had tiny lumps in it. also ,I noticed it separating a day or two later in the jars . The recipe with the vaseline is just as creamy as the day a made it, and the moisturizing last longer. I live in a very dry climate. harsh cold winters, and dry hot summers, what kind of climate you live in ?

1. […] Looking for a new lotion? There are more formulas out there than you could ever imagine! If your skin is in need of some extra nourishment, then you really need to try DIY Moisturizing Lotion! Baby lotion, coconut oil (solid form), and vitamin E cream can turn into something amazing! Get the scoop-One Good Thing […]