Make Your Own SIMPLE Moisturizing Lotion

I have been wanting to make my own lotion for a LONG time! But I haven’t been able to find QUITE the right “recipe” for me. There are as many formulations for lotion out there as there are fish in the sea it seems! Heavy, light. Greasy, non-greasy. Scented, unscented.  etc etc etc. To be honest I wasn’t exactly sure what I wanted…but knew I would know it when I found it.  Sure enough…I did!

I found this semi-homemade version on PatchworkTimes.com and thought it sounded like just the ticket for me. Simple, inexpensive ingredients and no melting or cooking required. Funny thing is I recently bought some beeswax pellets online in preparation for making lotion…but have yet to use any of it. I might have to find another project that requires beeswax…because I LOVE this lotion! It’s rich and creamy and yet not too heavy…and it smells heavenly! I just love the smell of baby lotion. :-)

The original recipe called for: 16 oz. baby lotion8 oz. Vaseline, and 8 oz. Vitamin E Cream

But after consulting with my staff of advisors (my sisters), we decided to try replacing the Vaseline with Coconut Oil. The result was LOTION PERFECTION! It’s thick, but not heavy, so it’s very moisturizing but doesn’t leave your hands (feet, etc) feeling greasy. Oh, and did I mention how good it smells!?!?  I was considering adding some essential oils to make my own “scented lotion”, but thought better of it when I smelled this.

My sisters and I immediately started slathering this stuff on and my oldest sister said it reminded her of her favorite Burt’s Bees lotion, but at a FRACTION of the cost.

So here is the revised
Homemade Moisturizing Lotion:

16 ounces baby lotion
8 ounces coconut oil (solid form, not melted)
8 ounces vitamin E cream

Mix together with handheld mixer until it resembles icing.

Store in air tight containers…keep it for your own supply…or slap on a quick little label for gift-giving!

I gave one to each of my sisters’s that were visiting. :-)

Cost breakdown:

Nutiva Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil $7.00
Dollar Store Baby Lotion $1.50
Dollar Store Vitamin E Cream $1.50

Use roughly half the jar of coconut oil, the whole bottle of baby lotion and 1/2 the jar of vitamin E Cream.

Approximate cost: $5.75 for roughly 32 ounces. Or $1.44 for each 8 ounce jar I filled.

Ready? Set? MOISTURIZE! ;-)

{{{Update:  Here’s a fun idea!  Put on one of those pump tops! Find out how to MAKE one on this post:  Make Your Own Mason Jar Dispenser}}}

Share on Facebook1,110Tweet about this on Twitter0Pin on Pinterest0Google+0

Comments

i love this stuff, it makes you skin feel great! I live in Texas, so it really helps in the hot, dry climate! i have added vitamin e oil from the dollar store and avocado and sweet almond oil from cvs as well, they make it very nice. Thanks for the great recipe.

2. Laura says

This sounds awesome – I tried your whipped coconut oil, but it melted on me. Do you have any advice on how can I stop that happening with this cream? Winter is coming, and my skin’s starting to feel it.

I’ve been using this for a while on my face and does seem to diminish the fine lines on my eyes. I also gave some to my friend who used it for about a week before go to her dermatologist. He told her he didn’t know what she was doing different for her skin but it felt terrific, keep doing it.

4. Cheryl says

My sister-in-law and I made this 4 days ago. I just wanted to come back and comment that this lotion is unbelievable. My skins feels great and not greasy at all. I even used iron my face. I have rosacea and she has psoriasis and hersis going away. Definitely worth trying!!!!

5. Dixie says

I love this stuff…I have made it 3 different ways…my favorite is bag balm instead of the Vaseline or coconut oil…
    I do use a little more lotion to cover the bag balm scent…everyone loves it and my skin is the softer than it has been in years..
    Thanks Jillee for all the great ideas and helpful comments…
    Dixie

6. Salome says

Regarding the use of Prep H I found this on Wikipedia: “The Canadian formulation of Preparation H includes a yeast extract called BioDyne, which has been removed from the formulation previously sold in the United States in 1995. This yeast extract is believed by Pfizer to remove wrinkles from skin and heal dry, cracked, and irritated skin. The Canadian formulation has acquired a market in the United States as a skin cream with an anti-wrinkle active ingredient.”

Can you suggest a replacement for the baby lotion as I am allergic to it, I’ve tried so many lotions and creams. Also I have a mild case of eczema, my doctor gave me some medical lotions but they really stink and are greasy so I stopped using them.

8. Carol Lopez says

I just made a batch, I got my baby lotion, vitamin E and Vaseline, and jar all at the 99 cent store, total cost $3.96 and I have put by my side of the bed! Can’t wait to try tonight!

9. Carolyn says

I am getting ready to make the recipe using the coconut oil, vitamin E cream and Baby lotion. I noticed on the recipe at the beginning it said 16 oz of baby oil, 8 0z of vitamin E cream, and 8 oz of Coconut oil. Then later on down it read to use 1/2 the jar of coconut oil, half of the vitamin E cream and the who bottle of baby lotion. Which is it? My baby lotion came in 16 oz bottle, the coconut oil came in a 10 oz jar and the vitamin E cream came in an 8 oz jar. Are the amounts as stated in the first description? 16 baby oil, 8 coconut cream, and 8 vitamin e cream? I know this may be silly, but just want to be sure I am reading this correctly. Don’t want to ruin my batch of wonderful lotion.

10. Kelly Howard says

There is not “one good thing” in baby lotion, Jillee! Have you investigated how bad the ingredients are? This might smell good and seem cost effective but baby lotion is a wasteland of chemical toxins. Better alternative is to look up recipes using emulsifying wax instead of beeswax and make it from scratch.

Hey Jillee. I loved this lotion. I made a few changes, but I’m thinking of trying the baby lotion out as Christmas gifts this year. Thanks for posting. You can check out my post on it here: http://www.creativelilac.com/1/post/2013/09/super-moisturizing-lotion.html

I get a lot of my ideas from your blog. It’s my favorite. Hope you don’t mind me trying things out for myself and posting about it. I’ve linked your blog to a few of my posts.

Thanks for sharing your creative ideas. Can’t wait to see what else you post.

~ Cassie

Hello…Tried this recipe out…I chose unscented baby lotion and then added a few drops of cucumber melon essential oil for scent…the only thing is that it seems really greasy to me…I tried several times…using just a tiny amount as it seems to go further than store bought cream…just wondering if the essential oil is what made it greasy?? Any suggestions?
    Carolyn

Hello. We just wanted to let you know that your recipe was featured on iYoodle.com.

This looks good enough to eat! I love the fragrance of baby lotion and use coconut oil everyday…I’m going to try this :)

http://www.iYoodle.com features recipes, videos, crafts, beauty tips, home decor, etc… from around the world. Posts on iYoodle.com link back to the original posting and help to drive traffic to your YouTube channel or blog. :)

14. Nancy says

I have used this recipe for a year and I LOVE it. I really like the smell of Jergen’s lotion, so I used it instead of baby lotion. I love how it feels mixed with the coconut oil and it smells wonderful! Plus, it really moisturizes.

15. Elizabeth says

I love this stuff! I’m making it for the women that I work with this Christmas. For those of you worried about the petroleum or mineral oil, you can find all natural baby lotion that’s made wit almond oil or olive oil. I used to use California Baby on my daughter and I believe it was free of those chemicals. It’s more expensive of course but if you want to use an all natural product but still want the ease of this recipe it’s worth it. I actually used a bottle of Johnson’s Baby Naturals for this since it’s what I happened to have on hand, and it turned out great!

16. Diane says

I used from the dollar store 4oz of Udder Cream – 2 oz of Butt Butter (diaper rash cream) – 4 oz of Vitamin E Skin Care Cream – 2oz of Cocoa Butter hand & body lotion – 1 oz of coconut oil – whipped up with hand mixer. Scooped up with an ice cream scoop into 1/2 oz plastic containers and gave out as gifts at lunch. My friends loved it!!!

17. Michelle G. says

Hi, just wanted to say how happy I am that I found your site. My neighbor made and gave me the baby lotion as a gift. I usually only use shea butter or lotions from bath and body works. I ran out of my regular lotion so I tried hers. I fell in love with it. Well of course I used it all up. Everytime I asked her for the recipe,she somehow avoided giving it to me!!LOL!! It took me a little while,but finally,finally came across your web site! Just want to thank you!! I love it,and will share it will all my friends,unlike my neighbor!! LOL! Sincerely, Michelle Gregory

18. michelle says

Do I have to use baby lotion, or will any lotion work? I typically use Vaseline Intensive Care Repairing Moisture (unscented – I tend to have skin reactions to perfumes and dyes in different products) and was wondering if I might be able to use that in this recipe?

Hello there, I found your web site via Google even as searching for a similar subject, your web
    site came up, it appears great. I have bookmarked it in my google
    bookmarks.
    Hello there, simply was alert to your blog via Google, and found that it’s really informative.
    I am going to be careful for brussels. I’ll appreciate for
    those who continue this in future. Lots of folks will likely
    be benefited from your writing. Cheers!

20. Debbie says

I love this. It has made my skin so soft and velvety. I used 2 jars of coconut our 1 bottle of baby lotion and all the partial bottles of lotion I had in the cupboard, a pig squeeze of A&D ointment and some bare minerals body glimmer. For those who wonder why you add lotion to a lotion recipe. The coconut oil is what is good for your skin, the lotions make it user friendly and less greasy.

21. Jeanette says

I went to Dollar General the other day and of course I knew I would find the baby lotion and pretty sure about the Vitamin E cream also and I was right. Where in the store would you find the coconut oil though? I do admit I didn’t go anywhere in the store except the lotion aisle though since I didn’t have but a few moments to stop in and try to get the ingredients. Thanks in advance for the help and thank you so much for this recipe!!! Can’t wait to find the coconut oil to try this!!!

22. Sarah says

Just wanted to let you know that my Mother-In-Law and I LOVE LOVE LOVE this “concoction”! I’ve used only unrefined coconut oil on my skin for a couple years and found that it absorbs way too fast and my skin was a little “ashy” by the end of the day. Since using this, Hubs comments often how good my skin feels and uses it himself (we use the night-time, lavender, baby lotion). MIL also believes it is helping her psoriasis. Just bought more stuff to make a 3rd batch, but now that I’ve read the comments and know any lotion will work, I can use up my left over St. Ives for next round, as I love their oatmeal & shea scent.
    Thanks Jillee!

23. Debbie says

Jillee, I can’t thank you enough for this reipe, it is amazing! I have an allergic reaction to the sun and break out horribly! Took this to Mexico with me and slathered it on after my morning shower every day. For the first time in 11 years, I did not come home looking like I had chicken pox! Thank you so much!!

24. Vicki says

I’m a new convert to your board Jilee and I love it! I made the lotion today for my first project and couldn’t wait to get it in the jar before I was using it. I added 5 drops of lavender oil and the lotion like it was with your recipe is perfect! No need for improvements. Now that I’ve dipped my hand in..I’m ready to try many more! Thanks so much. Do you have a brown spot face lightener?

25. PAA says

Jillee — Found this recipe through Pinterest. I have read all the comments and found that my question was asked but not answered by you. So I will ask my own version of it again… No coconut for me in any form, so I wonder what other natural oil I could use. It would have to blend as well as the coconut oil, of course.
    Since Lubriderm has removed the lanolin (actual, whole, intact lanolin) from their lotion, I am at a loss for an effective, non-greasy replacement. I’d like to try this recipe but the coconut has got to go! Is lanolin a possibility? Or even available in the U.S.?

Here is another, very odd, question for you. I remember that there is an ointment-like product that equestrians use, either on their horses or the saddles (told you this is odd) which was fantastic hand lotion/cream. It does have a generic name, but I don’t recall what it is. I also don’t remember whether or not it left the skin greasy. It might have even had lanolin in it. Whatever…I do remember that it was completely safe (1970′s definition of “safe”) for human use. If I found out what it is, could this be incorporated somehow?

Thanks for your patience in reading this and for any help you offer. I am going to be adding your site to my ‘bookmarks’ so keep up the great work! PAA

Their primary function is to reduce the harmful vibration frequencies
    from working equipment such as power tools.
    Pass on the verified properties in your very own Olay Regenerist Sculpting
    Cream reviews. Flow by Amazon can identify millions of
    products such as, DVDs, books, household items
    and more. Successful online marketing businesses understand how important it is to develop a strong, responsive email mailing list.
    In many of the excerpts, I was very much impressed with
    how much character development was possible in so few pages.

Some of the things I didn’t like about the Freeman Feeling Beautiful Pomegranate Sugar Body
    Scrub was it contained fragrance and some harsh unnatural ingredients
    in it. Treat yourself to a simple and elegant design that is suitable for all occasions.
    As we all know that losing weight has become a popular trend for numbers of girls.

Plan a work out that targets the tummy, buttocks, thighs and other areas you hope to improve upon.
    The player has an OLED screen and an n – Vidia Tegra APX.
    The difference is that, with non-piercing, you do not need to get your body pierced.
    Use hair-spray to give volume to the top of the head, lengthening the appearance of your face so that it
    looks less square. The weights should be heavy enough that it is an effort during the
    last set, but not so heavy that your straining yourself. Healthy body is the important part of
    human life, if you have any health related problems and
    you want a increase health to all the busy in daily
    life then the solution is only use the body massage treatment for better care of your
    body, spa massage center are provided the many type of services and packages which is related to all the
    products of natural products. This involves the use of several laboratory processes such as ultrasound, thermotherapy, and lymphatic drainage.
    Also given her words to a Spanish portal for Viajes
    India where one can find info on Viajes a la India and get the best packages for Kerala
    Ayurveda Tours. You can easily prepare your own facial bleach from the ingredients which are easily available in your kitchen.
    Although you may not think so, it is also one of the most easily disguised.
    Foods that contain a lot of protein containing a hormone that is ,
    ” fight ” against hunger and makes you feel full , rather than
    when you enter carbohydrates. Try to include eggs, milk, fruits and vegetables in your breakfast.