Make Your Own SIMPLE Moisturizing Lotion

I have been wanting to make my own lotion for a LONG time! But I haven’t been able to find QUITE the right “recipe” for me. There are as many formulations for lotion out there as there are fish in the sea it seems! Heavy, light. Greasy, non-greasy. Scented, unscented.  etc etc etc. To be honest I wasn’t exactly sure what I wanted…but knew I would know it when I found it.  Sure enough…I did!

I found this semi-homemade version on PatchworkTimes.com and thought it sounded like just the ticket for me. Simple, inexpensive ingredients and no melting or cooking required. Funny thing is I recently bought some beeswax pellets online in preparation for making lotion…but have yet to use any of it. I might have to find another project that requires beeswax…because I LOVE this lotion! It’s rich and creamy and yet not too heavy…and it smells heavenly! I just love the smell of baby lotion. :-)

The original recipe called for: 16 oz. baby lotion8 oz. Vaseline, and 8 oz. Vitamin E Cream

But after consulting with my staff of advisors (my sisters), we decided to try replacing the Vaseline with Coconut Oil. The result was LOTION PERFECTION! It’s thick, but not heavy, so it’s very moisturizing but doesn’t leave your hands (feet, etc) feeling greasy. Oh, and did I mention how good it smells!?!?  I was considering adding some essential oils to make my own “scented lotion”, but thought better of it when I smelled this.

My sisters and I immediately started slathering this stuff on and my oldest sister said it reminded her of her favorite Burt’s Bees lotion, but at a FRACTION of the cost.

So here is the revised
Homemade Moisturizing Lotion:

16 ounces baby lotion
8 ounces coconut oil (solid form, not melted)
8 ounces vitamin E cream

Mix together with handheld mixer until it resembles icing.

Store in air tight containers…keep it for your own supply…or slap on a quick little label for gift-giving!

I gave one to each of my sisters’s that were visiting. :-)

Cost breakdown:

Nutiva Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil $7.00
Dollar Store Baby Lotion $1.50
Dollar Store Vitamin E Cream $1.50

Use roughly half the jar of coconut oil, the whole bottle of baby lotion and 1/2 the jar of vitamin E Cream.

Approximate cost: $5.75 for roughly 32 ounces. Or $1.44 for each 8 ounce jar I filled.

Ready? Set? MOISTURIZE! ;-)

{{{Update:  Here’s a fun idea!  Put on one of those pump tops! Find out how to MAKE one on this post:  Make Your Own Mason Jar Dispenser}}}

Share on Facebook1,124Tweet about this on Twitter0Pin on Pinterest0Google+0

Comments

1. Jennifer says

Im gonna try this with emu oil instead, I have excema on my arms and my ankles, and that seems to help a lot. Especially right after showering.

2. Abby says

I totally forgot that I’d posted on this! I didn’t end up rewarming it, we had a 90+ degree day a couple days ago, and it got warm enough in our bedroom that the coconut oil did melt, I was able to mix it back up with my finger and when it cooled off again the lotion was perfect! no lumps! So I would say either throw it in a double boiler and heat gently until smooth or wait until it’s 90+ in your bedroom. =)

3. Gmasalis says

I have to re mix it every time I use it because the coconut oil has separated (again). It is very light and fluffy though I must say. Going to try and mix the petroleum free jelly kind next time instead of coconut oil although I am worried about the olive oil going rancid before I use a whole batch unless I store it in the fridge. My fav is still the vaseline recipe so far…..

4. Lisa Curtis says

I do not want to use coconut oil, nor petroleum jelly, what else can I use ? Has anyone added any essential oils ? when adding essential oil, do I change the quantity of any of the other liquids ? Thank you for your help. Am looking forward to trying this at some point when I can figure out the right items to use.

5. Faith Redmond says

I used Natures way organic extra virgin coconut oil, Ojoba Collective shea butter (both from Amazon), vitamin E oil and few drops lemmon essential oil (Mountain Rose Herbs). Most of those are organic certified and while they might cost a little more, I still have plenty of ingredients left to make more lotion. I’ve had some tumor issues so for me organic is a must. I melted the shea and coconut oil together in glass measuring cup in microwave using 15 sec increments…took about 30 sec. Stirred it all together with few drops vitamin E and lemon essential oil. Made a water and ice bath in a bowl and set measuring cup with ingredients in the bath. Beat ingedients with a mixer until nice and fluffy. I live in Florida, if your coconut oil turns liquid (it does at 76F), stick in fridge for few minutes.

6. Fawn says

I make my own version of vaseline. Works great! In a double broiler or in a pan on low heat melt 1 part beeswax to 4 parts oil (whatever oil you like best). Let cool and homemade vaseline! Hope you like it! As far as essential oils, you shouldn’t need to change the liquid quantities at all.

7. Caren says

Brenda, there is a coconut oil that melts at 92 degrees, that would be better for you, still may get melty on those very hot days.

8. booklvr52 says

Made this recipe with coconut oil, lotion and vit E cream…..LOVE IT! However, been wondering what I could substitute for the baby lotion to make it more natural, organic, etc….any thoughts, ideas?

9. Sara says

I just made this and can’t wait to use it! I found myself slathering it on and I was making it. I wish time in the kitchen was always this enjoyable! Bought the vitamin E cream at krogers but ended up spending almost $10. I’ll have to do my dollar store research next time.

1. […] Lotion.  I love to use coconut oil as lotion, but sometimes, especially in the winter, I don’t feel like waiting for coconut oil to melt.  This lotion is great because it has the texture of regular lotion, but also contains coconut oil which is great for my skin.  I could probably write a whole post just on coconut oil.  (I prefer to buy my coconut oil at Trader Joe’s… it’s less crumbly than the ones I’ve gotten from Amazon.) […]

2. […] Lotion.  I love to use coconut oil as lotion, but sometimes, especially in the winter, I don’t feel like waiting for coconut oil to melt.  This lotion is great because it has the texture of regular lotion, but also contains coconut oil which is great for my skin.  I could probably write a whole post just on coconut oil.  (I prefer to buy my coconut oil at Trader Joe’s… it’s less crumbly than the ones I’ve gotten from Amazon.) […]