Make Your Own SIMPLE Moisturizing Lotion

Homemade lotion

I have been wanting to make my own lotion for a LONG time! But I haven’t been able to find QUITE the right “recipe” for me. There are as many formulations for lotion out there as there are fish in the sea it seems! Heavy, light. Greasy, non-greasy. Scented, unscented.  etc etc etc. To be honest I wasn’t exactly sure what I wanted…but knew I would know it when I found it.  Sure enough…I did!

I found this semi-homemade version on PatchworkTimes.com and thought it sounded like just the ticket for me. Simple, inexpensive ingredients and no melting or cooking required. Funny thing is I recently bought some beeswax pellets online in preparation for making lotion…but have yet to use any of it. I might have to find another project that requires beeswax…because I LOVE this lotion! It’s rich and creamy and yet not too heavy…and it smells heavenly! I just love the smell of baby lotion. :-)

Homemade lotion

The original recipe called for: 16 oz. baby lotion; 8 oz. Vaseline, and 8 oz. Vitamin E Cream

But after consulting with my staff of advisors (my sisters), we decided to try replacing the Vaseline with Coconut Oil. The result was LOTION PERFECTION! It’s thick, but not heavy, so it’s very moisturizing but doesn’t leave your hands (feet, etc) feeling greasy. Oh, and did I mention how good it smells!?!?  I was considering adding some essential oils to make my own “scented lotion”, but thought better of it when I smelled this.

My sisters and I immediately started slathering this stuff on and my oldest sister said it reminded her of her favorite Burt’s Bees lotion, but at a FRACTION of the cost.

Homemade lotion

So here is the revised

Homemade Moisturizing Lotion:

16 ounces baby lotion
8 ounces coconut oil (solid form, not melted)
8 ounces vitamin E cream

Mix together with handheld mixer until it resembles icing.

Store in air tight containers…keep it for your own supply…or slap on a quick little label for gift-giving!

Homemade lotion

I gave one to each of my sisters’s that were visiting. :-)

Cost breakdown:

• Nutiva Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil $7.00
  • Dollar Store Baby Lotion $1.50
  • Dollar Store Vitamin E Cream $1.50

Use roughly half the jar of coconut oil, the whole bottle of baby lotion and 1/2 the jar of vitamin E Cream.

Approximate cost: $5.75 for roughly 32 ounces. Or $1.44 for each 8 ounce jar I filled.

Ready? Set? MOISTURIZE! ;-)

{{{Update:  Here’s a fun idea!  Put on one of those pump tops! Find out how to MAKE one on this post:  Make Your Own Mason Jar Dispenser}}}

Homemade lotion

Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter0Pin on Pinterest0Google+0

Comments

1. booklvr52 says

Made this recipe with coconut oil, lotion and vit E cream…..LOVE IT! However, been wondering what I could substitute for the baby lotion to make it more natural, organic, etc….any thoughts, ideas?

2. Sara says

I just made this and can’t wait to use it! I found myself slathering it on and I was making it. I wish time in the kitchen was always this enjoyable! Bought the vitamin E cream at krogers but ended up spending almost $10. I’ll have to do my dollar store research next time.

3. laurel says

I LOVE THIS STUFF! Just made my second batch and gave some away for mothers day!

4. anid says

anything dollar store is poisoned, and i’m not talking just hfcs, ESPECIALLY baby products.

• booklvr52 says

@anid…..perhaps you could expand on your issue with dollar store products….without more details or info I dononot see a reason to not use their baby lotion..

Jillee,
    I’m curious if you have checked all the ingredients in the baby lotion to be sure there are no petrochemicals or less than desirable ingredients? I know we want to trust that baby lotion is safe, but with everything I’m learning about the world, I have to wonder. I’m almost wishing I still had a baby so I could run and check…

6. Candice says

Personally, I just use coconut oil , nothing else. Apply it to your skin while it’s wet, and it’ll absorb better then anything in the world. Pure and natural.

7. Sharon says

Just made my first batch, well I love it !!! My husbands response was that will sure fel good on my feet. Guess maybe I should stash a bottle, dont think I will be the only one using this. Thanks a million !!

8. Melissa says

I love this lotion and I add my own natural scents, but the coconut oil makes the lotion clumpy. Any suggestions to reduce the separation?

• booklvr52 says

my first batch had some small clumps…which dissolve very quickly in your hand but still….for my second batch I heated the coconut oil a little to soften it and the clumps were much less…making another batch this weekend and will heat it again …. I measured it into a microwaveable cup and popped it in for a little bit to soften it….worked well…

9. booklvr52 says

oh, and mine never separates….it does sometimes get very soft and liquidy as the weather gets warmer but I just pop it in the refrigerator and it sets right back up and nice to put on cool moisturizer in the warm weather.

1. […] Lotion.  I love to use coconut oil as lotion, but sometimes, especially in the winter, I don’t feel like waiting for coconut oil to melt.  This lotion is great because it has the texture of regular lotion, but also contains coconut oil which is great for my skin.  I could probably write a whole post just on coconut oil.  (I prefer to buy my coconut oil at Trader Joe’s… it’s less crumbly than the ones I’ve gotten from Amazon.) […]

2. […] Lotion.  I love to use coconut oil as lotion, but sometimes, especially in the winter, I don’t feel like waiting for coconut oil to melt.  This lotion is great because it has the texture of regular lotion, but also contains coconut oil which is great for my skin.  I could probably write a whole post just on coconut oil.  (I prefer to buy my coconut oil at Trader Joe’s… it’s less crumbly than the ones I’ve gotten from Amazon.) […]