No-Grate Homemade Laundry Soap

homemade-laundry-1.22.13

Despite all the enthusiasm over making homemade laundry detergent recently…I continue to hear murmurings from those who just can’t bring themselves to grate soap and cook it on the stove.

It apparently just isn’t going to happen. :-)

I’m not naming any names…but my older sister would probably freely admit she didn’t decide to even attempt making her own laundry detergent UNTIL I told her about this “new” recipe I was testing out.

(I know it seems like I’m always “picking on” her…but she called me a “brat” on her blog recently…so she pretty much deserves it. lol).

Once again I have to credit the incredible readers of this blog for my inspiration.

Tiffanie posted this on February 4th….
A close friend of mine has been making laundry soap like this one for years, until just recently she found an easier one to make and passed it on to us.

3 Tablespoons Borax
3 Tablespoons Washing Soda
2 Tablespoons Dawn Dish soap

Put these ingredients in a one gallon jug. Pour 4 cups boiling water into the jug. Swirl until ingredients are dissolved in the liquid. Let liquid cool. Then fill almost to the top with cold water. The bubbles will overflow out of the bottle.
I love this because you can pick an awesome scent with the Dawn dish soap. This dish soap works the best because it gets grease out. :o)

February 4, 2012 8:59 PM

homemade laundry detergent

homemade laundry detergent

As FOND as I am of the soap I’ve been using for over 8 months now…I felt I needed to at least give this version a fair shake. Sooo…I made up a gallon of it and have been using it for almost a week. I’ve used almost the entire gallon and despite my initial skepticism…I have not noticed any difference in it’s ability to get my clothes clean from my current recipe. I use approximately 1/2 cup to 1 cup per load. I know that sounds like a lot, but it’s pretty thin and since it’s SO easy and inexpensive to make, it doesn’t bother me.

Of course there are still those items of clothing that will need an extra boost with some Homemade Shout or Homemade Oxi-Clean….but overall I honestly haven’t noticed any difference in it’s cleaning ability.

For those of you concerned with HE washers…I haven’t noticed any more soap suds with this “recipe” either. On a small load I will notice some sudsing…but on a large load…it appears to me to be as low-suds as my previous version.

homemade laundry detergent

So….today I offer up this “new” version of homemade laundry detergent to those who have to this point been reluctant or unwilling to try making their own. A couple of things that might convince you to try…no grating of soap…no cooking…and you can make one gallon at a time in just a few minutes.

If you DO decide to try it…I would love to know what you think. :-)

Share on Facebook5,802Tweet about this on Twitter0Pin on Pinterest0Google+0

Comments

1. Anonymous says

Made this today….it is very watery…I made two batches just to make sure…I did wash my first load and am anxious to see what happens..I am ok with grating if i have to. I just thought I would try this first. I have four kids and a mechanic husband so we use alot of laundry detergent, we need to save money every way we can so if this works I will be so excited!!

2. Anonymous says

I have a 2 year old microfiber couch and its developing a musty odor. What can I do to get rid of this odor?

• Joan says

Try sprinkling baking soda [not washing soda] and leave for 15 minutes and vacuum also works on rugs and carpet. If that doesn’t work you may have to steam clean with upholstery tool attachment — if couch care says you can.

• Amy says

There is a pin on pinterest that I tried for my microfiber couch. You clean it with rubbing alcohol. Works great and does not leave water marks on the fabric. Don’t use a scrubber that uses water it will leave marks galore on your couch.

• Megan says

I had the stinkiest freezer in the world. We were almost going to have to get rid of it. I tried baking soda, alcohol, vingear. Tons of commercial cleaners. Nothing got rid of the smell. the only thing that worked was cat litter. I spread the odor absorbing kind on a pan and put it in the freezer. In 3 days the bad smell was completely gone and freezer smelled fresh and good. I would think you could spread some cat litter on your couch and leave it there for a few days and it would probably smell great again.

3. Nancy says

If you eliminate the extra water, only using 4 cups total – 2 c boiling & 2 c cool, it's not watery & only requires 1/8 cup per load. It works great.

• shalom says

No, 4 cups water + 8 tablespoons other ingredients doesn’t equal a gallon (1gal = 16c). Four recipes of the concentrate should make slightly over a gallon.

4. Katie says

FYI for cloth diaper washers, this did not work for my dipes. They came out smelling like ammonia. I will be trying the grating method homemade detergent next.

• Mindy says

I use the “cooked” fels naptha soap. I have been using is since Jan 2012 on all of my clothes (adding a borax soak to whites) I love the way it cleans my diapers. I have heard others saying it coats them but mine are organic cotton and any other soap was causing them to smell the moment they were peed on even when they came out smelling fine. With this soap I don’t have that issue but I am looking into other soaps just to be safe :). I also like to add 8-10 drops of Tea Tree oil or Lavender Essential oil since they are both antibacterial and really help with getting smells out

• Mindy says

I didn’t say that I haven’t had to strip my diapers at all since changing to the cooked soap. But I haven’t its been really nice to have super clean white diapers that have no smell or coating issues. I know this isn’t for everyone but with my diapers it works very well.

• Alicia says

I have actually used this recipe for both cloth diapers (I use the pockets with inserts) and regular clothing with no problems. No ammonia smell, no problems with build-up or absorbancy. It was a bit more watery than I’m used to but it works incredibly! I always add vinegar to my loads of laundry and peroxide when I have a particularly dirty load (or just want to get my whites a little brighter. Overall, very happy with this.

5. Shelley says

I'm so glad to find this. I tried the grate & boil kind, but found that over time, it coagulated like crazy…so much so, that it was hard to even pour out of the gallon jug & had to mix some store-bought liquid in with it, then they separated…ugh…what a mess.
    This I will be trying! ~

6. Dianne says

I'm so excited to try this! I used to make my own by grating and cooking but have decided it's just too labor intensive for me right now. This seems like a quick & easy solution!

7. Anonymous says

i tried it with olay dawn dish soap i find its wayyyy watery, is it not supposed to thicken? anyway i don't know if i like this but will give the blue dawn soap a try

8. Anonymous says

I tried this with 2 cups boiling water and 2 cups cold and it was a good consistency.
    I tried it today in my HE washer and it worked as good as what I buy at the store. It did not leave a scent but it got the clothes clean. I did not notice any problems with suds in the HE washer.