No-Grate Homemade Laundry Soap

homemade-laundry-1.22.13

Despite all the enthusiasm over making homemade laundry detergent recently…I continue to hear murmurings from those who just can’t bring themselves to grate soap and cook it on the stove.

It apparently just isn’t going to happen. :-)

I’m not naming any names…but my older sister would probably freely admit she didn’t decide to even attempt making her own laundry detergent UNTIL I told her about this “new” recipe I was testing out.

(I know it seems like I’m always “picking on” her…but she called me a “brat” on her blog recently…so she pretty much deserves it. lol).

Once again I have to credit the incredible readers of this blog for my inspiration.

Tiffanie posted this on February 4th….
A close friend of mine has been making laundry soap like this one for years, until just recently she found an easier one to make and passed it on to us.

3 Tablespoons Borax
3 Tablespoons Washing Soda
2 Tablespoons Dawn Dish soap

Put these ingredients in a one gallon jug. Pour 4 cups boiling water into the jug. Swirl until ingredients are dissolved in the liquid. Let liquid cool. Then fill almost to the top with cold water. The bubbles will overflow out of the bottle.
I love this because you can pick an awesome scent with the Dawn dish soap. This dish soap works the best because it gets grease out. :o)

February 4, 2012 8:59 PM

homemade laundry detergent

homemade laundry detergent

As FOND as I am of the soap I’ve been using for over 8 months now…I felt I needed to at least give this version a fair shake. Sooo…I made up a gallon of it and have been using it for almost a week. I’ve used almost the entire gallon and despite my initial skepticism…I have not noticed any difference in it’s ability to get my clothes clean from my current recipe. I use approximately 1/2 cup to 1 cup per load. I know that sounds like a lot, but it’s pretty thin and since it’s SO easy and inexpensive to make, it doesn’t bother me.

Of course there are still those items of clothing that will need an extra boost with some Homemade Shout or Homemade Oxi-Clean….but overall I honestly haven’t noticed any difference in it’s cleaning ability.

For those of you concerned with HE washers…I haven’t noticed any more soap suds with this “recipe” either. On a small load I will notice some sudsing…but on a large load…it appears to me to be as low-suds as my previous version.

homemade laundry detergent

So….today I offer up this “new” version of homemade laundry detergent to those who have to this point been reluctant or unwilling to try making their own. A couple of things that might convince you to try…no grating of soap…no cooking…and you can make one gallon at a time in just a few minutes.

If you DO decide to try it…I would love to know what you think. :-)

Share on Facebook5,715Tweet about this on Twitter0Pin on Pinterest0Google+15

Comments

1. Jessi says

I have been using this for two months and I love love love it. Gets kids stains out and works wonders

2. Charlotte says

Its slightly about going green, but more about saving money. I spent $16 buying the Borax, washing soda, dawn and a nice container with a spout to put it in. For that price I wont have to buy laundry soap for at least 6 months! I always used ALL free and clear for my allergy prone children, but this works well for them as long as I use the blue dawn. Why pay nearly $16 every 3 weeks for a jug of ALL when I can spend $16 for a years worth?!

3. Patricia says

I made up a batch of this tonight but instead of using Dawn, I’m using 7th Generation Free and Clear (that was all I had) and added 10 drops of lavender essential oil to the mix. I’ll use this recipe over the next week and see how well it does. Crossing my fingers that it works because I am one of the many that hates grating and cooking the bar soaps :)

So first of all I love your blog, and I have made your other “cooked” laundry detergent, and it’s ok. But I hate that it clumps up and I have to shake it before every use… and then it it still not smooth. lol. I know it cleans the same but it’s mentally irritating. So I’ll definitely have to try this recipe.

5. Twylia says

I just moved to CA from OK and couldn’t find it at first. They are selling it now at our Walmart here. I know you can get it at WinCo though, do you have one of those near you?

6. Angie says

So many recipes and so many ideas! I just started making homemade cleaners a couple of days ago and i want to make them all to test them all out! I was going to mix up a huge batch of the grated and cooked liquid laundry soap today, but I’m dreading grating the fels Naptha even though I froze it to make it easier. I did half a bar the other night for dry laundry detergent, and man did that take forever! I think I will try this instead, using the homemade dish soap I made yesterday instead of Dawn. It’s cutting grease well and leaves our plastic, what little we use, more squeeeky clean than store bought dish soap did.

7. Sandy says

I did not see a mention of this in the other comments… What about Dawn’s ultra concentrated version? Any idea how much of that you would use? Maybe half? I already have the blue Dawn Ultra :)

I’m making my second batch of this today. I love not having to grate soap. I was a little leery at first because I have to use ‘free and clear’ laundry soap and I have not had an rashes from this. I bought Dawn specifically for this since I use Mrs. Meyers or 7th Gen. I’m wondering how either of those would be compared to the Dawn (which is not eco-friendly).

Sandy…..I have used both the Dawn regular and ultra concentrated and haven’t really varied the amounts and it has turned out just the same….so I wouldn’t worry about it too much. I have now made probably 30 gallons of the stuff. :-)

10. Amanda says

The way I usually make my laundry soap I have to shake it every time before I use it. Do you have to shake this stuff?