No-Grate Homemade Laundry Soap

homemade-laundry-1.22.13

Despite all the enthusiasm over making homemade laundry detergent recently…I continue to hear murmurings from those who just can’t bring themselves to grate soap and cook it on the stove.

It apparently just isn’t going to happen. :-)

I’m not naming any names…but my older sister would probably freely admit she didn’t decide to even attempt making her own laundry detergent UNTIL I told her about this “new” recipe I was testing out.

(I know it seems like I’m always “picking on” her…but she called me a “brat” on her blog recently…so she pretty much deserves it. lol).

Once again I have to credit the incredible readers of this blog for my inspiration.

Tiffanie posted this on February 4th….
A close friend of mine has been making laundry soap like this one for years, until just recently she found an easier one to make and passed it on to us.

3 Tablespoons Borax
3 Tablespoons Washing Soda
2 Tablespoons Dawn Dish soap

Put these ingredients in a one gallon jug. Pour 4 cups boiling water into the jug. Swirl until ingredients are dissolved in the liquid. Let liquid cool. Then fill almost to the top with cold water. The bubbles will overflow out of the bottle.
I love this because you can pick an awesome scent with the Dawn dish soap. This dish soap works the best because it gets grease out. :o)

February 4, 2012 8:59 PM

homemade laundry detergent

homemade laundry detergent

As FOND as I am of the soap I’ve been using for over 8 months now…I felt I needed to at least give this version a fair shake. Sooo…I made up a gallon of it and have been using it for almost a week. I’ve used almost the entire gallon and despite my initial skepticism…I have not noticed any difference in it’s ability to get my clothes clean from my current recipe. I use approximately 1/2 cup to 1 cup per load. I know that sounds like a lot, but it’s pretty thin and since it’s SO easy and inexpensive to make, it doesn’t bother me.

Of course there are still those items of clothing that will need an extra boost with some Homemade Shout or Homemade Oxi-Clean….but overall I honestly haven’t noticed any difference in it’s cleaning ability.

For those of you concerned with HE washers…I haven’t noticed any more soap suds with this “recipe” either. On a small load I will notice some sudsing…but on a large load…it appears to me to be as low-suds as my previous version.

homemade laundry detergent

So….today I offer up this “new” version of homemade laundry detergent to those who have to this point been reluctant or unwilling to try making their own. A couple of things that might convince you to try…no grating of soap…no cooking…and you can make one gallon at a time in just a few minutes.

If you DO decide to try it…I would love to know what you think. :-)

Share on Facebook5,793Tweet about this on Twitter0Pin on Pinterest0Google+15

Comments

I’m making my second batch of this today. I love not having to grate soap. I was a little leery at first because I have to use ‘free and clear’ laundry soap and I have not had an rashes from this. I bought Dawn specifically for this since I use Mrs. Meyers or 7th Gen. I’m wondering how either of those would be compared to the Dawn (which is not eco-friendly).

2. Amanda says

The way I usually make my laundry soap I have to shake it every time before I use it. Do you have to shake this stuff?

• JJ says

Finally someone is talking some sense. I was excited to find a DIY detergent and was SHOCKED to see that it included Borax. Borax is considered a toxic substance and was added to the Substance of Very High Concern (SVHC) candidate list on 16 December 2010 (wikipedia).

Then instructions above have you adding boiling water to an already dangerous chemical + soap, of which I’m sure the writer of this blog does not fully understand the consequences of the resulting mixture, and by swirling it around you breathe in the result of the chemical reaction! Please take 5 minutes and educate yourself about mixing your own solutions at home.

• Joan says

Borax was suggested somewhere to sprinkle on a mattress and leave 15 minutes, then vacuumed to kill bedbugs. Perhaps that is what is making my husband itch even with a second rinse but the commercial products have danger as well.

• Joan says

I meant the borax in the laundry soap,since it is alkaline and the soap might make him itch but I think he got into something outside and changing and rewashing with tide that I had been using did not change a thing!

• Joan says

Sorry! It will kill dust mites on carpet or mattress; I don’t know about if it will kill bed bugs.

• Emily says

Kellie and JJ,
      Please educate yourselves about using respectful language to get your point across. And please try to not be so reactionary. I’m fairly sure that if swirling all of this around were truly all that dangerous, it would have already exploded in Jillee’s smiling face. Please show me the bevy of people that have fallen ill, been rendered brain damaged or been struck dead by this dangerous chemical reaction.

3. Jillee says

As you can imagine, I get a lot of “interesting” comments on this blog….most of which I will let slide because frankly it’s just not worth my time. But if there is one thing that “gets me going”, it’s when people make inflammatory statements and post misleading information about something I have included in a post. You can question my intelligence all you want….but suggesting that I don’t fully understand the consequences of something I am writing about or am doing in my own home is something I won’t ignore.

Kellie and JJ: Please take 5 minutes (or as long as you need!) and educate yourselves. I would not be posting articles, recipes, ideas and methods that include Borax if I thought for one minute that it was harmful to me, my family or any of the readers of this blog. As for it being “especially dangerous for pregnant women”…pregnant women need to be careful of countless things (natural and synthetic) before, during and after creating a new life.

I was just getting ready to write an article about this very subject when I came across this article on the Crunchy Betty website: Getting to the Bottom of Borax: Is it Safe or Not?

After I read this I decided researching and writing my own article on the subject would be a waste of my time because SHE NAILS IT. Please….if you have any concerns about the safety of using Borax in any of the ideas I post on this website….take 5 minutes and read this.

Here is just a very short excerpt from it:
    Borax is wholly natural. It doesn’t cause cancer, accumulate in the body, or absorb through the skin. It is not harmful to the environment. In fact, the largest borax (borate) mine in the world – found in Boron, California – is considered by many to be the most ecologically sound and environmentally sustainable mine in the United States. This is also the mine where 20 Mule Team comes from.

Thank you Crunchy Betty for shedding an INFORMED light on this subject.

In response to the often quoted “Wikipedia” article about the EUROPEAN Chemicals Agency putting Borax on their “list of substances of very high concern” a few years ago, if you “educated yourself” you would find that had to do with EXCESS boron in the soil harming crops. And I’m pretty sure I have never suggested putting Borax in your FOOD.

The writer of this blog DOES fully understand the consequences of making her own laundry soap, or the writer of this blog would not have posted about it on this blog.

Sincerely,

Jillee

You go girl! I’m trying out this liquid recipe. It does appear watery, but as others on this blog have cut the recipe down then I may do the same. I do like my grated and boiled, however, putting the stuff in the washing machine it has the consistency of egg drop soup… Yummy but not appealing in my laundry. I am working through all found recipes until I find that perfect liquid that I would not have any qualms about giving to a friend or bottling for resale. Can’t sell soup you can’t eat :-). Have a blessed day!

Thanks Angela. :-) When you find that “holy grail” of homemade laundry soap…you better share it with the rest of us! :-)

• Deb says

I have used this for years and it is far cheaper and does a great job THANKS JILLEE . Deb

4. Krista says

I noticed that the original Dawn says nothing about not adding bleach while the concentrated version does so I’ve just doubled up the amount of regular Dawn used in this recipe.

5. Patty K says

I ran out of regular laundry detergent yesterday, so I quickly whipped up a batch of this. Faster and easier than the other recipes I’ve used. It’s very watery though, and I’ll try a more concentrated version next time. It seemed to work OK, although there were NO suds whatsoever. Maybe the original blue dawn is the secret.

6. Erin Banks says

So, I’m still confused. How much of the original recipe are you supposed to use? I may have missed it … thanks!

7. Jenny says

Mine separated. Is it supposed to do that? Should I reheat it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jenny, mine will separate a tiny bit with some of the white powdery stuff settling on the bottom of the container. I turn it upside down a couple of times and it mixes right up. That’s one of the benefits of it being a thin consistency.

8. Deb says

Just add the soap after the rest of ingredients, including the water, are in the bottle. Just leave a little head room. works great and no overfolw!!!!