Rebecca’s Rosemary Mint Fabric Softener

Rosemary Mint Fabric Softener

Have you ever told someone that you make your own (fill in the blank) and they look at you like you’ve lost your mind?

Don’t worry, it happens to me all the time. :-) Even amongst family!

Take my sister Rebecca for example. Even though she’s one of the biggest “fans” of One Good Thing By Jillee…I don’t think she’s ever actually TRIED any of the homemade laundry and cleaning products I have posted about.

That is UNTIL NOW!

This is what she posted on her Facebook page a couple of days ago (I’m hoping she doesn’t mind me sharing):

I confess to being a laundry product snob…I love Caldrea, its green, scented w/ essential oils and pricey. But I love it! Today I ran out of my softener *pout*. A serious situation to be facing on the weekend, Amazon can’t me more until Tues! So, I followed my sisters example (One Good Thing by Jillee), and made her favored DIY fabric softener: Vinegar, water and Rosemary Mint Sauve conditioner. Thats it! 3 ingredients. Holy Caldrea…I love it!! Clothes smelled great and felt even better. I am a believer, goodbye Caldrea…Ive got this now :)

Woo hoo…another “believer” is born! ;-) PLUS…she came up with a new scent for homemade fabric softener to try! Rosemary Mint! As much of a fan as I am of my Lavender scented stuff….the Rosemary Mint idea intrigued me!

Rosemary Mint Fabric Softener

So, since I was about to run out of my fabric softener I decided to make one batch of each…and now I have a WHOLE LOTTA fabric softener! lol. But I have to tell you….if you are fond of Rosemary and Mint…you will want to try this!

Here is the recipe from the original post:

Homemade Fabric Softener

Ingredients:
6 cups water
3 cups white vinegar
2 cups Suave Rosemary Mint Conditioner

Rosemary Mint Fabric Softener

Directions:
1. Mix water, vinegar, and hair conditioner in a 1 gallon container; stir. Do not shake it; it will cause foaming.
2. Use the same amount you normally use in a rinse cycle or spritz it on a wash cloth and throw in dryer.

Rosemary Mint Fabric Softener

As a matter of fact…I decided more of my “doubting” friends needed to try it too….so I poured some of it into large mason jars and attached a “recipe” card telling them how they can make it!

Rosemary Mint Fabric Softener

To all my “doubting” friends….you have been warned.  Beware of visitors bearing mason jars! YOU might just be the next BELIEVER! :-)

Share on Facebook841Tweet about this on Twitter0Pin on Pinterest447Google+0

Comments

1. Milli says

Oh Jill you are a lifesaver! I'm so tight-budgeted right now but I simply cannot sacrifice fabric conditioners from my grocery list and now I can!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

2. Momma Trish says

I have read that if you soak a washcloth in the fabric softener, wring it out and then let it air dry, you can throw that bad boy in the wash up to 40 times!! I have yet to try it, but I'm going to.

3. Anonymous says

35 years ago when money was tight I couldn't afford extras I did the washcloth trick (I came up with it on my own, taking a cue from dryer sheets). I used a dry washcloth put a little fsbric on it and never washed it. It eventually became saturated enough that I didn't have to add softner every time. Gonna try this recipe. Love saving money.

4. Anonymous says

I am wondering about sensitive skin. My newborn son and my toddler daughter have super sensitive skin!! It's crazy. Does anyone have a suggestion on what kind of conditioner to use? And if I don't use conditioner and I use essential oils do I use 2 cups of the oil??? So confused!!! HELP!

*MommyOf2Buckeyes – Columbus,OH*

5. Anonymous says

i just made some with suave sweet pea violet and im patiently waiting for my washer to finish!

6. Sarah says

Anonymous, if you used 2 cups of essential oil you'd be spending a FORTUNE and they'd be able to smell your laundry a state away! I don't think you can just ELIMINATE the conditioner, though…you need to add something with lipids to the water/vinegar mix. I'm just not sure what. :/

7. sailormom61 says

OK, so what am I doing wrong?? I followed the directions to the t and of course it smells great before I use it but my clothes do not smell like Rosemary Mint or anything else at all. Also, the washcloth soaked in liquid fabric softener and dried before using works great for static cling and lasts a long time but again after the first few loads the awesome smell was gone.

8. Anonymous says

I have a septic system and I can't see this hurting it at all. You'd use less conditioner with this doing multiple loads of wash, than conditioning your hair in one shampoo. This isn't anywhere as thick as conditioner by itself. It's diluted down and works great.

1. [...] Rebecca’s Rosemary Mint Fabric Softener! Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:LikeBe the first to like this. This entry was posted in DIY, Inspiration and tagged addict, BO, Coconut, DIY, Frabric Softener, Jillee, Mint, Pinterest, Rosemary by Le Mot Finale. Bookmark the permalink. [...]