DIY Flannel Baby Rag Quilt

OK…I feel like today’s ONE Good Thing should be worth like TWENTY Good Things because it definitely took long enough! lol.  BUT….it was so fun!!!  And now that I’ve done one…I feel confident that I can make the next one better AND do it faster.

Oh…I guess I should back up. Today’s One Good Thing is this very cool DIY Baby Rag Quilt from Do It Yourself Divas.   I saw it on Pinterest (where else?) a few weeks ago and immediately thought…now THAT’S a quilt I might be able to do!

Since my small town doesn’t have any fabric stores where I could go purchase some cute material….I decided that for my first ever quilting attempt I would just make do with whatever I could find at Walmart. There really wasn’t a whole lot to choose from…but I did manage to find a couple of STAX of flannel, each containing about 5 different flannel fabric pieces. I had to get really creative to make these work…but somehow I did and here is the result! I’m pretty happy with how it turned out for my very first ever quilt!

The cost of the fabric turned out to be around $14.00 and the flannel that I used for the “batting” was from an old flannel sheet I already had.

I’m actually looking forward to making another one very soon! There’s just something about the piecing and the sewing together that puts me in a sort of “zen” state of mind. It’s actually very relaxing!

After you have cut out the pieces…it’s like a jigsaw puzzle to figure out where they are going to fit together.  The best thing is there is no “right” or “wrong”…it’s totally up to you! :-)
You can make the fronts and back match…or I decided to make them different…giving it even more of a patchwork “feel”. It does make it a little more challenging though. I did a fair amount of rearranging to make sure no fabrics were the same right next to each other.
Even that was fun though. :-)

Each piece of the quilt is made by making a “sandwich” of material. Two “right sides” facing out, with a piece of white/neutral flannel in the middle. Another thing I really like about this
project is the pieces don’t have to be PRECISELY the same size. It’s a very forgiving quilt for us
first-timers because all the edges are going to be snipped and frayed anyway.

After each “sandwich” is assembled, sew a seam lengthwise down the middle of each one. Next you will sew the pieces together, right sides together, lengthwise.
(I guess I forgot to take a picture of this step.)

And now the FUN part (albeit, somewhat time-consuming)! Take your seam ripper and “rip” little strips in all the seam allowances, essentially making fringe!

Here are the seams after being “fringed”. I also did the same treatment to the outside edges. The original instructions call for binding the edges…but this was MUCH easier and I really like the look!

Toss the whole thing in the washer, then the dryer.
(Make sure your lint trap is empty…there will be lots of little strings!)
When it comes out of the dryer all the seams will have “poofed” up
(for lack of a better word) and it will be soooooooo soft!!!

Since there are no babies in our house right now…I am going to donate this one to the Children’s Justice Center in town. My goal is to be “in the process” of making one of these to donate to charity at any given time…kind of an ongoing project. I’m very excited about it. :-)
If you haven’t tried a quilt before and really would like to…
I highly recommend giving this one a try!

Trying a new challenge…like QUILTING… is today’s…..

Share on Facebook38Tweet about this on Twitter3Pin on Pinterest12,227Google+0

Comments

1. Bobbi-Jo says

I made one with a jean top and flannel back (no batting at all, just the two layers). It is so warm! But I suggest you check your dryer vent about every twenty minutes or so, especially if your quilt is larger. Mine is King size (with about a foot hanging over on each side, so 8' x 7') and I had to dry it for over 3 hours at the laundromat using one of the HUGE dryers. The amount of fuzz was unbelievable! I still get fuzz every time I wash and dry it (about every month or so) and I have been using it on my bed for almost 2 years now. Albeit a LOT less than I did the first wash or two.
    I made mine just using 61/2" squares of flannel and same size pieces of old jeans with holes in them (the jeans had holes, not my squares). I find depending on the size of jean I can get anywhere from 15 to 20 squares from one pair. Some of them I buy from thrift shops – always go for the biggest pair possible to have more fabric – and I also let all my friends know that I am saving jeans. It's amazing how many people will give you their old ripped, stained jeans. (the stains just make the quilt more interesting!)

2. Anonymous says

Ok I have never quilted and it is definatly something I want to do! I love the look of these!! Great tutorial! Does anyone have a pic of what the back side of the quilt would look like?? I am just not understanding.
    Thanks, Sarah

• nicole says

the back will look more like a reg quilt, neat and tidy, it is just the front side that is fluffy, my mom made one for my son years ago and he wanted to know when she was going to finish it ( looked like it needed a back)

3. carol says

QUESTION: why use a seam ripper instead of a pair of scissors to cut the fringe? I’m thinking thats a very slow way to do it. What am I missing? I needed a great idea for my little niece who is ‘on the way’ … and I’m really liking this idea.

• RileysMomma says

this is the first i’ve seen anyone use their seam ripped to rag the edges of their quilt. i’ve always seen scissors used. i’d recommend a pair of springed scissors, like the fiskars soft touch line to help cut down on the hand fatigue.

• Momof2 says

There is also scissors that are rag cutting scissors. They have a short curved blade and are also “springed”. I have made several rag quilts and they are so handy!! It makes it go much faster!

4. Cynthia says

SO adorable! I’ve been meaning to make a blanket for my niece since before she was born, and she’s almost 6 months old. I’m such a procrastinator! But, see, I was going to knit it for her…and I’m not a very seasoned knitter. Self-taught about a year and a half ago. My one knitting accomplishment is a red scarf, which I LOVE, but it took me almost a year to get it done! I tend to jump around with my projects, so imagine how long it would take me to knit a blanket?! Especially since I want it to be big enough to last until she’s more than 3 feet tall. I’ve thought about making her a fleece blanket, but I kinda don’t want to make it that heavy. This is a wonderful alternative! Thanks a bunch!

5. JulieCC says

It is MUCH easier to use snipping shears on rag quilts than a seam ripper. I’ve made 7 of them so far and scissors/shears don’t work well, either – especially if you have arthritis/carpal tunnel/tendonitis! The Fisker’s brand snippers are awesome – not only for these quilts, but sewing in general, like trimming seams. They are super-sharp and only cost about $10.

6. Nancy says

don’t make rag quilts for babys if they get those little raged pieces in their mouths they will chock. I made 2 of them for my great grandchildren but they won’t get them until they are 3 years old., Take this very serious.

7. Danna says

Thank you for this tutorial. I taught myself the very limited sewing skills I know and was so excited and thrilled for a forgiving blanket project. My daughter loves her blanket and it turned out quite cute. Thanks again!

An impressive share! I have just forwarded this onto
    a co-worker who had been conducting a little
    research on this. And he in fact bought me dinner because I discovered it for him…
    lol. So let me reword this…. Thanks for the meal!!
    But yeah, thanx for spending the time to talk about this issue here on your
    site.