OK…I feel like today’s ONE Good Thing should be worth like TWENTY Good Things because it definitely took long enough! lol. BUT….it was so fun!!! And now that I’ve done one…I feel confident that I can make the next one better AND do it faster.
Oh…I guess I should back up. Today’s One Good Thing is this very cool DIY Baby Rag Quilt from Do It Yourself Divas. I saw it on Pinterest (where else?) a few weeks ago and immediately thought…now THAT’S a quilt I might be able to do!
Since my small town doesn’t have any fabric stores where I could go purchase some cute material….I decided that for my first ever quilting attempt I would just make do with whatever I could find at Walmart. There really wasn’t a whole lot to choose from…but I did manage to find a couple of STAX of flannel, each containing about 5 different flannel fabric pieces. I had to get really creative to make these work…but somehow I did and here is the result! I’m pretty happy with how it turned out for my very first ever quilt!
The cost of the fabric turned out to be around $14.00 and the flannel that I used for the “batting” was from an old flannel sheet I already had.
I’m actually looking forward to making another one very soon! There’s just something about the piecing and the sewing together that puts me in a sort of “zen” state of mind. It’s actually very relaxing!
After you have cut out the pieces…it’s like a jigsaw puzzle to figure out where they are going to fit together. The best thing is there is no “right” or “wrong”…it’s totally up to you! :-)
You can make the fronts and back match…or I decided to make them different…giving it even more of a patchwork “feel”. It does make it a little more challenging though. I did a fair amount of rearranging to make sure no fabrics were the same right next to each other.
Even that was fun though. :-)
Each piece of the quilt is made by making a “sandwich” of material. Two “right sides” facing out, with a piece of white/neutral flannel in the middle. Another thing I really like about this
project is the pieces don’t have to be PRECISELY the same size. It’s a very forgiving quilt for us
first-timers because all the edges are going to be snipped and frayed anyway.
After each “sandwich” is assembled, sew a seam lengthwise down the middle of each one. Next you will sew the pieces together, right sides together, lengthwise. (I guess I forgot to take a picture of this step.)
And now the FUN part (albeit, somewhat time-consuming)! Take your seam ripper and “rip” little strips in all the seam allowances, essentially making fringe!
Here are the seams after being “fringed”. I also did the same treatment to the outside edges. The original instructions call for binding the edges…but this was MUCH easier and I really like the look!
Toss the whole thing in the washer, then the dryer. (Make sure your lint trap is empty…there will be lots of little strings!) When it comes out of the dryer all the seams will have “poofed” up (for lack of a better word) and it will be soooooooo soft!!!
Since there are no babies in our house right now…I am going to donate this one to the Children’s Justice Center in town. My goal is to be “in the process” of making one of these to donate to charity at any given time…kind of an ongoing project. I’m very excited about it. :-)
If you haven’t tried a quilt before and really would like to…
I highly recommend giving this one a try!
Trying a new challenge…like QUILTING… is today’s…..