His and Hers (No-Grate) Homemade Body Wash

body wash
About a month ago I posted a couple of options for making your own body wash. Since then I have become a dedicated user of this semi-homemade version using grated Dove bar soap. It has become a fixture in our shower.

As a matter of fact, I think the hubster was becoming a little jealous of my luxurious body wash in the “fancy” container…so I thought I would surprise him with his very own bottle of “manly” body wash. Since I had good luck with the Dove soap…I decided to try the Dove Men+Care Extra Fresh Body and Face Bar. It smells really clean and fresh…and of course…manly! Very important.

I used the exact same recipe for the “Manly Body Wash” as I did for mine, but with one important difference! I didn’t GRATE any soap!

body wash

I took Paulkelly Brown’s word for it who left a comment on Facebook that he never grates bars of soap. He simply melts them in the microwave! He said it works for Fels Naptha bar soap which I use in my laundry soap ….so I wondered if it would work for this.  Guess what?  It did!  Approximately 90 seconds in the microwave in a microwave-safe container and it melts and then begins to bubble up! (Keep an eye on it so it doesn’t overflow!)

After that I poured it into the 6 cups of water that I already had heated on the stove. (If you put the melted soap into COLD water…it will just harden up again immediately.)

So here is the slightly modified “recipe”.

body wash

Semi-Homemade Body Wash

• 6 cups water
  • 3 bars of soap

Put water into a pan on the stove and bring to a boil, then turn down to medium heat. Microwave the bars of soap one at a time for approximately 90 seconds in a microwave-safe container. When melted, immediately transfer to pot of water. Continue stirring occasionally over medium heat until all the soap is dissolved. It might take awhile…but you want to make sure every piece of soap is completely dissolved before you transfer it to containers. I worked on folding laundry while occasionally checking in on the soap soup.

When completely dissolved…transfer to a glass jar or bowl and allow to cool, then pour into a plastic bottle for shower use! It will thicken as it cools and will continue to thicken for about 24 hours. Don’t be alarmed. This is perfectly normal. If it gets TOO thick…simply add some water until it’s the desired consistency.

For those interested….I will ATTEMPT to do the math (but no heckling allowed if I get it wrong!):

I bought a six pack of the Dove Bars for $6.88.
I used 3 of the bars at a cost of $3.44. This made approximately 48 ounces…or..$1.72 for a 24 oz bottle!
A savings of roughly 75%!!!

AWESOME $AVING$ AND now we both have our very own, “specially formulated”, body wash.  ;-)

body wash

Share on Facebook414Tweet about this on Twitter0Pin on Pinterest0Google+0

Comments

1. Anonymous says

One of the advantages of liquid soap is that it does not leave soap scum on the shower walls the way bar soap does. Since you are making liquid soap out of bar soap, I wonder if this version will leave soap scum on the shower walls. Otherwise it seems like a great idea. – Mary

2. Stephanie Gray says

oK you are awesome. This is my first time coming across your blog, but thanks for the advice I will be doing this from now on :)

3. Jill Nystul says

becky….I got my plastic pump bottles at Walmart. I think they were about $6.

Dawn…it should work for any type bar soap! Might just have to adjust the amount of water. :-)

4. labbie1 says

Super! A no grate version is wonderful! And I like that Fels Naptha Soap can also be melted without grating too! Awesome! Thanks Jill!

5. jmmonroe says

You are like my new best friend! I enjoy all your ideas and love your pins too. You are the kind of woman every woman needs as a best friend-I just adore you and am thankful for you-can not wait to try this out for my sweetheart(he adores body wash)

6. Gallegos Newsletter says

I just wanted to let you know that I have been following your blog page for about 3 weeks now and wow I love it! I am to a point now where I look foward to my emails from you and what exciting thing you will be helping us with today! I love how you always have pictures – which makes it a lot easier for us if we are attempting to make something….Thanks for all the hard work on your end and thanks for sharing!

Have a great day….

7. Anonymous says

I did this the other night only I used cocobutter Softsoap for mine and Dove Mencare for my husband. His turned out great but mine immediately congealed into a lumpy mess. I added more water and stirred it up but it got a lil foamy and now it doesn't lather very well and it's still congealing as I speak, I think. I bought a bar of Dove to try this time – I figure it must be a "Dove thing"…

8. Anonymous says

What does "no-grate" mean? I can't seem to find a definition for it anywhere. Thanks

1. [...] Love body wash but not crazy about all that grating of your fave bar of handmade or store bought soap? Jillee from One Good Thing figured out you can make a wonderful body wash without grating, and with only two ingredients. In fact, she shares her his and hers recipes. Thinking ahead, these would be great Mother’s/Father’s Day gifts that the kids could make with some help…find it all here. [...]

2. [...] There are many recipes for homemade body wash that can be found with just a simple Google search. The simplest of all recipes is to grate a bar of soap and add it to a pot of 4-8 cups of HOT water, stir until dissolved, let it cool, and pour into a squeeze bottle. This is exactly what I did about a month ago following the instructions in a video I stumbled across and now can’t find. I have to say that it has worked well. You do end up using more than you normally would with a thicker store brand type. Considering that the cost is so low it really doesn’t matter if you use extra. I also found that giving the bottle a quick shake before squeezing some out on to your scrubby thing (that pouf ball of mesh stuff you get for a dollar in soap aisle at Walmart) that helps it lather up better. I am about all out of my first batch of body wash and am ready to try out a non-grate version that I found here.  [...]