His and Hers (No-Grate) Homemade Body Wash

body wash
About a month ago I posted a couple of options for making your own body wash. Since then I have become a dedicated user of this semi-homemade version using grated Dove bar soap. It has become a fixture in our shower.

As a matter of fact, I think the hubster was becoming a little jealous of my luxurious body wash in the “fancy” container…so I thought I would surprise him with his very own bottle of “manly” body wash. Since I had good luck with the Dove soap…I decided to try the Dove Men+Care Extra Fresh Body and Face Bar. It smells really clean and fresh…and of course…manly! Very important.

I used the exact same recipe for the “Manly Body Wash” as I did for mine, but with one important difference! I didn’t GRATE any soap!

body wash

I took Paulkelly Brown’s word for it who left a comment on Facebook that he never grates bars of soap. He simply melts them in the microwave! He said it works for Fels Naptha bar soap which I use in my laundry soap ….so I wondered if it would work for this.  Guess what?  It did!  Approximately 90 seconds in the microwave in a microwave-safe container and it melts and then begins to bubble up! (Keep an eye on it so it doesn’t overflow!)

After that I poured it into the 6 cups of water that I already had heated on the stove. (If you put the melted soap into COLD water…it will just harden up again immediately.)

So here is the slightly modified “recipe”.

body wash

Semi-Homemade Body Wash

• 6 cups water
  • 3 bars of soap

Put water into a pan on the stove and bring to a boil, then turn down to medium heat. Microwave the bars of soap one at a time for approximately 90 seconds in a microwave-safe container. When melted, immediately transfer to pot of water. Continue stirring occasionally over medium heat until all the soap is dissolved. It might take awhile…but you want to make sure every piece of soap is completely dissolved before you transfer it to containers. I worked on folding laundry while occasionally checking in on the soap soup.

When completely dissolved…transfer to a glass jar or bowl and allow to cool, then pour into a plastic bottle for shower use! It will thicken as it cools and will continue to thicken for about 24 hours. Don’t be alarmed. This is perfectly normal. If it gets TOO thick…simply add some water until it’s the desired consistency.

For those interested….I will ATTEMPT to do the math (but no heckling allowed if I get it wrong!):

I bought a six pack of the Dove Bars for $6.88.
I used 3 of the bars at a cost of $3.44. This made approximately 48 ounces…or..$1.72 for a 24 oz bottle!
A savings of roughly 75%!!!

AWESOME $AVING$ AND now we both have our very own, “specially formulated”, body wash.  ;-)

body wash

Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter0Pin on Pinterest0Google+0

Comments

1. Anonymous says

One of the advantages of liquid soap is that it does not leave soap scum on the shower walls the way bar soap does. Since you are making liquid soap out of bar soap, I wonder if this version will leave soap scum on the shower walls. Otherwise it seems like a great idea. – Mary

• WendyB says

Mary- That was my question exactly. I’ve been searching for a liquid soap that my husband will use because, frankly, I’m just so tired of all the soap scum on and under the soap dish in our shower. It’s the binders in the bar soap that stick to the tiles giving something for more scum and mold (!!) to stick to. I’m hoping that watering the soap down makes it easier to rinse. Since it’s been a month or two since this blog post, does anyone have an opinion about how well the wash rinses from the tile?

Love this blog, BTW! I happened across it while searching for natural laundry alternatives, read a few posts, and subscribed right then and there. I’m a broadcast TV survivor making her way as a mother, wife, and homemaker, too. I always find it interesting to see how people from the biz move on from that life. Shoot, I’m still surprised every time a holiday rolls around. “Why aren’t you at work? Oh, it’s Memorial Day today? No kidding?”

• Karen says

Just use the Tub/Shower Soap Scum Buster – TRuly the Bomb, rinse some before wiping though. amazing!

• Stephanie says

Yes! I have used Dove…and Oil of Olay soap… I actually like the Oil of Olay soap better this way.

• Marle Zimmer says

I followed this recipe w Olay bar soap. Mine never thickened and is still quite liquidy. It has sat in glass jars for 38 hours now and still nothing. Any suggestions?

• Jennifer says

The same thing happened to me. I used the soap bar w/ Shea butter, but it’s still quite liquidly. I’m not sure why it didn’t thicken up. I was going to “cook” it some more & see if does anything.

• Celtic Cate says

Hi! I made the body wash last night for the first time. I used two bars of Dove Shea Butter bar soap cut into quarters and melted in the microwave in a large glass measuring cup. I used about 3.5 cups of hot water (simmering on the stove) and once the soap was melted, stirred it into the water and kept stirring until it seemed that most of it was melted (this took about a half hour to 45 minutes). I then removed it from the heat and added a few drops of essential oil (patchouli and sandalwood) and about a tablespoon of my favorite scented lotion. When I poured the mixture into two pint-size Mason jars, there were still a few small chunks, so I poured the liquid back into the pan through a sieve, then poured it from the pan into the jars (I was done stirring!). Today it is a perfect consistency: not too runny and not too thick (“Just right,” as Goldilocks would say). I shook it up and used a funnel to get it into a small bodywash (8 oz.) plastic container (I bought a half a dozen at Elements Bath and Body.com). I like these containers because they’re fliptop and the product flows downward.

• Jillian says

Ivory soap doesnt melt.. it foams up gigantic and will fill your entire microwave. Cool expiriment for kids ;)

2. Stephanie Gray says

oK you are awesome. This is my first time coming across your blog, but thanks for the advice I will be doing this from now on :)

3. Jill Nystul says

becky….I got my plastic pump bottles at Walmart. I think they were about $6.

Dawn…it should work for any type bar soap! Might just have to adjust the amount of water. :-)

• jolene says

I saw this and wanted to try it cause I’m one to spend money on body wash. Having to cut cost on losts of things I tried your laundry detergents and love them so I decided to venture out to other home made products. I was wanting to try this one really bad but the only bar soap I had was Dial cause thats what my husband likes. I used one Gold and two anti-bacterial bars the gold one finally melted but I had a really hard time getting the other two to melt they swelled up in the microwave but never melted and never completely melted on the stove so not sure if I did something wrong or if it was the soap.

• michelle says

I also had the same problems with zest with aloe. next time i will put it in my ninja processor and boil the same way i do my laundry soap. it actually dissolves faster that way. may just be the type of soap but i do not have an issue with using electronics or grating if needed. just as easy.

this totally happened to me tonight! LOL :D I got my hubby some Zest mens smelly stuff and it didn’t melt either :P

But I was SO determined, so I put my foamy chunks in some hot water and blended it in my blender, and then poured into my pot of hot water and it totally worked! Just have to watch how much you put in your blender and don’t blend too long or it will overflow!! haha! ;D

4. labbie1 says

Super! A no grate version is wonderful! And I like that Fels Naptha Soap can also be melted without grating too! Awesome! Thanks Jill!

5. jmmonroe says

You are like my new best friend! I enjoy all your ideas and love your pins too. You are the kind of woman every woman needs as a best friend-I just adore you and am thankful for you-can not wait to try this out for my sweetheart(he adores body wash)

6. Gallegos Newsletter says

I just wanted to let you know that I have been following your blog page for about 3 weeks now and wow I love it! I am to a point now where I look foward to my emails from you and what exciting thing you will be helping us with today! I love how you always have pictures – which makes it a lot easier for us if we are attempting to make something….Thanks for all the hard work on your end and thanks for sharing!

Have a great day….

7. Anonymous says

I did this the other night only I used cocobutter Softsoap for mine and Dove Mencare for my husband. His turned out great but mine immediately congealed into a lumpy mess. I added more water and stirred it up but it got a lil foamy and now it doesn't lather very well and it's still congealing as I speak, I think. I bought a bar of Dove to try this time – I figure it must be a "Dove thing"…

• Marie says

I’ve decided it has to be Dove. I tried Safeguard (I wanted antibacterial for the smelly men in my life! LOL!) and Caress. Both came out solid. I added more water to get it to go through a pump bottle but it doesn’t lather and my husband said it felt like he was bathing with sandpaper!

This is totally a Dove thing I think. I tried it with “Pears” Transparent Soap and it was rock hard. I’m just gonna go out and get the Dove, and try it that way.

Love this blog, btw!!

• Stephanie says

I have used Oil of Olay soap…It’s awesome to use this way. My daughter wanted some form Softsoap…she said after 24 hours it was hard…not liquid at all.

8. Anonymous says

What does "no-grate" mean? I can't seem to find a definition for it anywhere. Thanks

1. [...] Love body wash but not crazy about all that grating of your fave bar of handmade or store bought soap? Jillee from One Good Thing figured out you can make a wonderful body wash without grating, and with only two ingredients. In fact, she shares her his and hers recipes. Thinking ahead, these would be great Mother’s/Father’s Day gifts that the kids could make with some help…find it all here. [...]

2. [...] There are many recipes for homemade body wash that can be found with just a simple Google search. The simplest of all recipes is to grate a bar of soap and add it to a pot of 4-8 cups of HOT water, stir until dissolved, let it cool, and pour into a squeeze bottle. This is exactly what I did about a month ago following the instructions in a video I stumbled across and now can’t find. I have to say that it has worked well. You do end up using more than you normally would with a thicker store brand type. Considering that the cost is so low it really doesn’t matter if you use extra. I also found that giving the bottle a quick shake before squeezing some out on to your scrubby thing (that pouf ball of mesh stuff you get for a dollar in soap aisle at Walmart) that helps it lather up better. I am about all out of my first batch of body wash and am ready to try out a non-grate version that I found here.  [...]