Monday, March 19, 2012

Homemade Coconut Milk and Coconut Milk SHAMPOO (Revised)

A little over two weeks ago I posted a “recipe” for Coconut Milk Shampoo that proved to be VERY popular! Apparently I wasn’t the only one looking for an alternative to store-bought shampoo.

While this was a much-viewed (and tried) idea…judging by the comments…it was met with mixed reviews. Even my own initial opinion of the mixture changed the more I used it. I found that I couldn’t use it every time I shampooed because it left my hair feeling too “coated”.

For the last several days I haven’t been able to get this out of my mind. While I don’t expect every single one of my posts to be a “homerun”…this one had enough people that weren’t satisfied with the results that I knew I had to do some more research. That’s how much I love you guys! ;-)

Saturday I spent HOURS searching for an answer. It wasn’t proving as easy as I thought it would be! My suspicion was that the castile soap might be the culprit in this recipe…but almost EVERY SINGLE homemade shampoo formulation I found had castile soap as the base.

Many, many recipes later…I have come up with the following semi-homemade version of Coconut Milk Shampoo that while not completely “natural” is still a vast improvement over typical grocery store brands.

Semi-Homemade Coconut Milk Shampoo

1/4 cup coconut milk (you can either make your own [see below], or use store-bought)
1/3 cup organic baby shampoo/wash (the closest I could get to organic was Aveeno brand)
1 tsp vitamin E, olive or almond oil (I used olive oil because I was out of almond oil and didn’t have any Vit E oil)
10 to 20 drops of your choice of essential oils (I was going to use Lavender because I thought it would go best with the baby shampoo…but there were only a few drops in the bottle…so I used Lemon instead.)

Since I was anxious to try this new formulation and was out of canned coconut milk…I decided I might as well try my hand at making my own. After seeing how easy it was to make Almond Milk last week, I figured I could handle coconut. And I just happened to have a whole bag of shredded coconut that I recently purchased to use in my sister’s homemade granola recipe. So I was set. I turned to Crunchy Betty’s instructions and got started.

As I suspected….it was super easy!
1/2 cup shredded coconut
Into the blender (or food processor) with 1 cup HOT water.
PULSE approximately 20 times. (Don’t run continuously.)
Strain “milk” through a fine sieve or some sort of cloth.
Push down on the
coconut to make sure you get all the liquid out.
Put coconut back in the blender with another cup of HOT water
and repeat 3 more times.
You will end up with approximately 4 cups of lovely coconut milk!
.  .  .  .  .  .
NOW we are ready to make the SHAMPOO! :-)
Add 1/4 cup coconut milk and 1/3 cup baby shampoo to bottle of choice.
Add 1 teaspoon of olive oil, vitamin E oil or almond oil.
Add 10 to 20 drops of your favorite essential oil.
Shake bottle to combine ingredients.
Go jump in the shower and try it out!
Personally, I like this version a LOT better than the first. Unfortunately, the castile “soap” in the first recipe reacts with the minerals in the water we wash our hair with and can form a film or residue. That is why some of us experienced a “coated” feeling on our hair….and why most shampoo is made with “detergents”, because detergent reacts less to minerals in water and doesn’t leave this residue. Of course detergents contain OTHER ingredients that are less than desirable. But that’s another post for another time.
Hopefully this will be a better alternative for those who tried the first version and decided it was a no-go. I can’t wait to hear what you think!  Make sure and let us know. :-)

Never miss a good thing!
Receive a daily dose of Jillee + bonus newsletters.

169 thoughts on “Homemade Coconut Milk and Coconut Milk SHAMPOO (Revised)

1. Anonymous

I totally agree. If you regularly use a shampoo with sodium lauryl sulfate or the like, your hair gets completely degreesed. In turn your body scrambles to coat the hair and over produces oil. It will take a while for your body to not produce so much oil. This might be some of the people's problems.

Also with hair, you need o balance the ph level. Hair at 7 (neutral) will have a smooth shaft. Hair that is a higher ph ( 8+) will be course and easily tangled. Castile soap has a ph of say 10 i think. If you look at a soap's ingredients and see an acid included, the ph is probably more like 7. I wash with a Castile based shampoo bar and need to use a acidic rinse such as vinegar or citric acid. It totally makes a difference. I do live in places with hard water and it seems like I need to use more acidic product to get the same result as soft water area. Also filtering shower heads can be purchased easily enough.

Good luck and I hope this helps some. :)

1. MommaK

Yay! Thank you for explaining that :) Recently switched my family over to using castile soap for body wash and shampoo. Works great for my husband and lil 4mo baby, but they have short hair! I have long, thick, curly hair and the castile soap just seemed to leave my hair with that coated feeling, although I love how it makes my scalp feel :) Gonna have to try the vinegar rinse. Does it help with de-tangling your hair? Or maybe I should try the citric acid..but where do you get that and is it safe?

1. Lisa P

I haven’t used citric acid in my hair so I can’t say if it de-tangles, but I can tell you that I get mine at my local health food store, and I think GNC has it (if you have GNC’s in your area). And I use it as a rinse aid in my dishwasher so I can also tell you that it’s safe enough to eat off of, I’d imagine it’s safe to use in your hair too.

2. JPT03

The vinegar rinse does detangle really well… but I always feel like you can kind of smell the vinegar all day…not a lot…but enough that I don’t use it.. I switched to a lemon juice rinse…not as good on detangling, but cuts the residue. Today I also tried using a chamomile tea rinse after the lemon…and that smelled amazing (all i had was one with vanilla and honey…lol) With these and the original coconut shampoo I love how my hair came out, silky and soft!!! Very nice!

3. Claudia

I have curly hair (long, thick and very coarse) but ever since I started doing the following my curls have never been better! I use a little bit of baking soda and add some water (enough to make a paste) and I wash my hair with it (this is to clarify so I use it once a week or less, it depends) and then I’ll use a conditioner (either make your own or use an organic/natural brand, I’m currently using the Shea moisture line Co wash conditioner) I put a good amount on my hair, put a cap on it and leave it on there, while I shave, wash my body etc then at the end I rinse my hair with warm/cool water (concentrating on the scalp mostly, its okay if you leave some conditioner in your ends) and in a cup I put some apple cider vinegar, add some water, soap my ends in the cup, then the leftover pour it all over my hair, do one more quick cool rinse (to get rid of the smell, my bf hates the smell ahah) and then thats it…I let it air dry and once it’s almost dry I either use some oil (like argan oil or Coconut & Hibiscus Frizz-Free Curl Mousse fromt he Shea Moisture line) and I’m good to go…fyi I only wash my hair once a week, twice maybe and my curls have never been better!

4. Michelle

I was just wondering if anyone knows how long the holding life of the homemade coconute milk is? as wall as the shampoo? Does it need to be kept in the fridge (shampoo) I am asuming the left over milk should be… any info on this would be appreciated.

1. Katelyn

Through a great deal of research and a small amount of trial and error, I have found that adding a little bit of vit E helps stabilize the coconut milk. Most of my coconut based homemade body care products last about a month like this.

2. Christina

I have read several of the natural remadies you post for skin and hair but haven’t tried them yet. But this homemade coconut milk shampoo. Was at the Doc. yesterday and wanted to ask what to do for my hair. I have had some health issues and taking meds and iron pills. Nothing real serious but it has left me with dry damaged hair and even brittle and thinning. I wanted to ask about that product they sell for regrowing hair, didn’t get the chance I do not blow dry or use curling irons for about 15 year, now but did blow dry everyday till about the age of 38. I have thick natural curly hair. but I worry now that it has thinned. I was wondering if you have any ideas for me and would this homemade shampoo help with this or should I keep looking. I know this is a great sight and so are the ingred. you use and appreciate all you do and information you share with all of us is great. I would like so much to get your opinion. thank you

2. Kristin

I tried the original shampoo but have yet to try the new version. I've been looking for natural shampoos as I've been worried about sulphates and parabins in shampoos. I've been doing a lot of research and I've found, natural shampoos will work a lot like no poo. It is my understanding, there will be an icky, greasy period for 2-6 weeks that you have to deal with while your scalp gets used to chemical free washing. I'm still trying the natural thing but it's hard. Not only is my very long hair greasy looking and feeling, it's become extra frizzy without any of my normal products. I'm not sure I can last the icky period.

1. Misha

Kristin,
      I know it’s hard, I went through the same thing not too long ago when I decided to stop using commercial shampoos. At first I went completely “no poo” and tried the baking soda/apple cider vinegar combo. I hated it because the baking soda was too drying. I came across the original recipe of this shampoo and started using it, but Dr. Bronner’s leaves my hair feeling too waxy (I also have very hard water). I made a few modifications to this recipe and finally came to a very nice mixture. Taking the original recipe, I added 1/4 cup water and 1/4 cup lemon juice to it. After shampooing I rinse with 1/4 cup ACV and 1 cup water. I have very long hair and it is slightly oily. When I went through “the phase” I could hardly stand it, so I would usually just braid my hair to hide the fact that it looked and felt horrible. I’m happy to say that I am coming out of the phase nicely after 5 weeks of no commercial products, and my hair looks and feels amazing. Stick with it Kristin, I know you can do it and it is SO worth it.

2. Jane

I have oily, long hair and I switched over about three years ago to sulphate and parabin free shampoos. My sister and I tried a lot of natural brands and I found that there are some I absolutely can not use on my hair and some that I can. It seemed to be the same for my sister but she could use some I couldn’t and vis-versa.
      I found that some shampoos or conditioners would leave my hair looking and feeling “oilier” than before I got into the shower. To make things worse I had just had a highlightening issue with my hair and it was dry and damaged from that process. So finding something natural that was moisturizing and didn’t leave my hair gross was frustrating. I did find that the “icky period” wasn’t so icky when I started trying different shampoos and conditioners and finding the ones that worked with body chemistry. I didn’t use any one brand conditioner with the matching shampoos. You have to keep looking and that period of time that your body adjusts to living chemical free will go faster. My mother’s cousin uses mayonaise as a conditioner once a week, and she rinsed with beer. She swears by it! Thanks for the recipe.

3. Tracy

Look for a shampoo called Earth Safe. It comes in fire, water, earth and air. I like air the best I think.. Best natural shampoo and conditioner I have ever found and it REALLY detangles!

4. Karen

Try using a tea rinse and a DIY hair gel. I have very curly, frizzy hair and use the coconut milk shampoo every time I wash. I have used it for almost a year now. I make a tea using green tea, chamomille, and cinnamon-hibiscus and rinse my hair with it. If you have oily hair, switch the chamomille with lemongrass tea. Just add 1 each of the tea bags to 2 cups water and boil for about 15 minutes, let cool, remove tea bags, and add 1 TBS of vinegar. After rinsing the shampoo, pour the tea over your hair, catch it in a bowl and pour it back into the jar and repeat several times.

The gel is just boiled flax seed. Add 2-3 TBS of flax seed to 1 1/2-2 cups of water and bring to a boil, reduce to simmer and let simmer 3-4 minutes or so, then pour it through a strainer. It will resemble snot in consistancy. Once it’s cool add essential oils or aloe vera gel or both. Whatever you want. It looks and feels gross, but it works wonderfully! There are several recipes for it on the internet if you do a little searching. It can make your hair feel cruncy as it dries. If this happens, just scrunch your hair a little and the crunchy goes away and is replaced with soft, beautiful hair. Well, at least mine is anyway, LOL!

When my hair starts to get a build up, I just wash it with some baking soda. Hope this helps.

1. Mrs. C.

A reply without the sarcasm might actually be read and received.

You could try explaining that you wouldn’t purchase products from P&G because… Rather than assuming everyone has the same information about it that you do and that they are seeking to intentionally wreck the environment. Your comment furthers the misconception that environmentalists are snarky jerks.

2. christie

If you are seeking to be nasty…then you have the right approach.
        If you are seeking to educate people that there is something wrong with P&G…then educate and provide some actual information.
        Otherwise your comment is just annoying sarcastic trash.

3. Anonymous

The reason people rinsing with some sort of vinegar don't have a problem with a "coated" feeling in their hair does have to do with the way soap interacts with minerals in the water. If you have hard water, any soap will leave a residue of "salts" that are left in your hair (or around the sink, or bathtub, or whatever..). However, rinsing with vinegar, an acid, will get rid of the leftover salts, leaving everything squeaky clean. Hmmm, I think my chemistry professor would be proud. :P

1. Karen D.

So what you & Jillee are telling us is that we have soap scum in our hair after using a natural soap, correct? Hence, the reason the vinegar and/or lemon rinse makes the hair feel less waxy afterwards, because they both cut soap scum. It makes perfect sense to me!
      Thanks for a great blog, Jillee!!! I try to visit everyday =)

4. Scooter

I'm on Day 16 (about) of using your old shampoo recipe. LOVE it. It definitely does take some getting used to, but as others have now posted, it really does take time for that "greasy" feeling to go away. I read somewhere that it's akin to an oily face. If you strip the oil, your skin makes more. Once you quit getting rid of the oil, your skin will slow down oil production. (Was explained to me that it works kind of like breast feeding!) This transitioning period is your scalp recovering and getting used to being naturally maintained. Mine was yucky for about a week and then I noticed it started feeling a lot nicer and now I LOVE it. Just have the occassional problem with static. Been adjusting the formula as I'm going; now I add a little glycerin as I've done some research on that too. :) Keep up the good, natural works!

5. Jenn M.

I have used a natural shampoo bar for the last two years since I started getting psoriasis of the scalp. I had a lot of trouble with my hair feeling icky and coated. It really was my hard water was not allowing the soap to rinse. I use a small amount of vinegar and fill the rest of an empty bottle of shampoo with water and rinse with that. After a week, I have had no problem at all. This really is a trial and error process. All the chems in regular shampoos are in there to prevent these problems. But, I never want those chems touching my or my children’s scalps again.

Also, I have not had my soap or vinegar rise affect my dyed hair.

6. Carmen

I see you use doTERRA essential oils!! <3 They are absolutely amazing amazing, no?! I pinned your last shampoo recipe and had yet to make it so I will definitely try this one with doT oils! :)

7. Pingback: DIY Coconut Milk, DOES IT WORK??? « ThriftyNut

1. Ruth

Christy, coconut oil solidifies at a relatively high temp, I think around 75 degrees, and will eventually clog your drain unless you live in an area with consistently high temps (I speak from experience! I live in New England, no problems until autumn when the temps started to drop at night)

8. Pingback: The Best Homemade Shampoo Recipe

9. Lou Ann

Try a rinse of 2tbsp apple cider vinegar and 2 cup2 water to remove the build up when it occurs. You can sub an herbal tea for the 2 cups water for better fragrance.

10. Theresa

I recently made this recipe, except I used grapeseed oil instead of olive oil since that’s what I use for my oil face cleanser. I don’t like how difficult this is to wash through my hair, it makes it dry and sticky. I have short hair, so it’s not that big of a deal, but anyone with shoulder length or longer would have terrible tangle issues with this recipe. Maybe it’s the baby shampoo brand? I’ll try a different one next time.

My recipes was slightly improved with the addition of a teaspoon or two of Slippery Elm bark powder. The mixture mixes up thicker, like shampoo, and has a “silkier” feeling when I try to massage it through my hair. This helped with the tangles a bit. I love your blog BTW. Keep posting!

1. Christine

Great tip – I was wondering how to make it thicker so it would stay mixed better. I want to try this and give some to my granddaughter to try, she has really thick hair and I don’t think that she would remember to shake it up before each use (she is 8)

11. Eve-Marie Hughes

If you choose to use coconut oil, you could mix it 50/50 with the almond oil to reduce the solidification. If you use JUST the coconut oil, warming the bottle of shampoo in a sinkful of hot water for a few minutes and then shaking well should solve the problem.

I’m also curious, has anyone tried making this with BPAL oils? I’d like to experiment but even the Imps are expensive, so I’m a bit hesitant.

1. Rose

Hi Eve-Marie!

If you look on the BPAL boards, you may have better luck finding an answer. My understanding is that Beth has always discouraged this sort of experimentation (or at least widely sharing it) because of copyright and financial issues regarding the lab. That being said, it does happen. I usually just put a (very very) little on the underside of my hair and then brush it a few more times.

Good luck with your quest!

12. Stacy Hughes

I doubt it was the castile soap. I have used Dr.Bronner’s exclusively on my hair for over a year now and I love it. I don’t even mix it with anything else. I love the way it lathers and it rinses away cleaner than anything I’ve ever used. I use it on my body as well. I do not however shower or shampoo daily. In between full showers I take what I call a “bucket bath”. I have a 2 gallon bucket that I leave in my shower. I fill it with hot water, as hot as I can stand. I then add about a capful of Dr. Bronner’s and I use a washcloth to clean. I start with my face, then do my hair and so on. I don’t ever feel like I have to rinse after I wash up with my bucket. I feel nice and clean and refreshed. After my shower or bucket bath, I use grapeseed oil I get from the local co-op. I have scented it with some essential lavender oil. By using the lavender scented grapeseed oil I was able to give up lotion and perfume. After I have massaged the oil into my skin well I take what’s left on my hands and run that through my damp hair. I do this all while my skin & hair is still wet. I then lightly pat dry. I have been using this routine exclusively for over a year now and my skin has never felt better. I haven’t used perfumes for over a year and my husband is always telling me how good I smell. It works for me, so I thought I’d share.

1. Nicole

Where did you get that idea to use the bucket? How often do you take a regular shower? I am very environmentally conscious and am always seeking out new tips! Thank you.

2. MommaK

Did your hair feel oily and thick when you first started this? Not gonna lie…I miss the soft and silky feeling from commercial shampoos and conditioners..I have to wear my hair up all the time because it’s so icky and I’m dreading the day we have to go to a wedding or something and I actually have to do something with my mop…Help!

13. Jennifer

A friend of mine let me try out some shampoo that is mostly natural and it is made with peppermint essential oil It feels amazing on the scalp! I am going to use peppermint in this recipe and see how it does!

14. Patricia

Jillee, I post a lot about the recipes that I like and/or use. For all of those that are interested, I have been using this recipe in combination with baking soda/water mixture and it comes out lovely. I just made my second batch and my three boys and hubby have been using the mixture for 2 months now. It works wonderfully for their hair, at first I thought for just their hair, but have noticed my hair never, (listen folks) NEVER, gets greasy feeling anymore. Before my hair needs is what dictated my shower schedule, but not now. I take a shower to wash my hair as often as I want to, (again listen folks) WANT to. IT DOES WORK and with any ole’ baby shampoo.

15. Kris

I am trying to come up with a natural shampoo that works with my naturally curly hair. The original coconut milk recipe made my hair a bit frizzy and dry. Do I still need to use conditioner after using this shampoo? Is a vinegar rinse simply that, just a rinse at the end?

1. Ruth

I use straight ACV but am going to try a 50/50 mix with lemon juice tonight. The ACV leaves my hair soft and tangle free, not to mention enhancing the natural curliness with which I’ve been blessed! Also, the ACV smell disappears as my hair dries and smells like the shampoo. <3

16. Sheena

I was wondering on keeping the coconut milk, and how to store the unused portions. Do you stick them in the fridge and how long is it good for? This recipe doesn’t call to use the whole batch made but there are plenty of other things to do with it just wondering about how it keeps and how to store it. Thanks

17. Juliet

I made up coconut milk and froze the unused portions in a silicone muffin tin, then popped them into a ziploc bag — I figure each “muffin” is pretty close to 1/4 cup. I’m going to try this redo, because I’m having trouble with the homemade shampoos making my hair waxy. I think I’ve tried 3 or 4 different recipes (including the original of this one) and it’s driving me crazy. My other DIY experiments have gone well, but I was about to give up on the shampoo.

18. Larissa

Hi – just wondering, how much shampoo does one use at a time.? How long does it keep? How long can i go between shampoos? I ended up making a triple batch when i added 1 tbsp instead of 1 tsp of olive oil.
    Overall it smells divine, but i am curious as to the outcome.

19. JAC2848

Recently my hair has become very dry and frizzy (straight shoulder length). I found this recipe for coconut milk shampoo and am eager to try it, but also wonder how often can i use it? I’ve read that coconut milk is protein based and that it will dry my hair if I use it too often.

20. Dawn

Anyone have suggestions for me? I went poo free 8 weeks ago I’m doing the baking soda wash then acv rinse my hair still feels like it has a film on it, my comb/brush always has a white film on it after brushing. I have hard water. Has anyone else gone this long with the same results. Any input is much appreciated

1. Windey

I’ve been no poo for over a year using bs and svc rinse. I had waxy issues at the beginning but experimented with my bs vs water ratio and it helped. I use 1 1/2 tsp of bs to 9 oz water and 1 Tbs of acv to 9 oz of water. That’s what I’ve found to work best for me. Due to your hard water, yours may need more tweaking. If you look on some no poo blogs, people discuss the hard water issues in great depth. Hope this helps.

21. Nancy

I have tried the revised shampoo recipe and love it so far. I do not have to use conditioner, I also did not use as much almond oil in fear it would make it too oily. I just used cheap baby shampoo, coconut milk and almond oil and love the smell s I didn’t use any essential oils. I am concerned too like some others about the storage of it in the shower. Will this stay good for a while or does it need to be kept in the fridge between uses.

22. Christa

I used castille soap in my homemade shampoo and it made my hair so coarse like horse hair. I’m looking forward to trying your recipe. Thanks

23. Candace

Thanks so much for the revamped recipe! I’ve tried other recipes for homemade shampoo using castile and had the same residue problem as many others. I’ve also tried the total no-poo methods in the past and can never stand it long enough to get “over the hump” as it were. I’d love to go completely natural at some point, and I’m thinking this might be a good stair-stepper option, if not a good long term option. I’m ready to get off of the “spend all my money on basic cosmetics” hamster wheel for sure.

I’m really excited to try this recipe using an organic baby shampoo and just see how it goes. I do have the same question as others however. Given that you’re making your own coconut milk, how long can this mixture sit in the shower before going gross, given it’s a damp/warm environment? Or are you sticking the “shampoo” in the fridge between washes?

I’m open to anyone’s input on this. I’d assume the amount in the bottle probably only lasts about a week anyway if you’re shampooing every day (I admit it, I shampoo almost every day; it drives me nuts if I don’t, especially after working out). Is that about right?

24. Janet

I’ve done some research on homemade shampoo recipes and none of them seem to mention almond milk. Could I use that instead of the coconut milk? If so, what will the effect be?

25. Lauren

Hmmm … Im feeling like this is a stupid question, but does anyone condition their hair after using this shampoo (other than a ACV rinse, etc)? My hair is very coarse, dry and frizzy. Im not sure I could really go without a seperate conditioner, although I might try straight coconut oil as a leave-in. Just wondering what anyone else may have tried. Thanks in advance for the advice!

26. Lauren

Does anyone use a seperate conditioner (other than ACV, etc.) after this shampoo? I dont think I could get away with using this alone, although I was going to try straight coconut oil as a leave-in (my hair is very coarse, dry, frizzy). Im still addicted to silicones but trying to move away from using them. Thanks in advance for any advice!

1. Jennifer

I have been using the coconut oil for an after wash leave in conditioner. It seems to work well. I have thick, curly, course hair. It does leave it looking like you have used a gel on wet hair. I like how it looks with my hair type. I don’t comb it through. I only leave it as streaks so that it doesn’t look greasy.

27. Pingback: 8 Homemade Shampoo Recipes for Beautiful Hair!

28. Ashley

I found arecipe somewhere (which I could remember where) that had a recipe for a coconut oil conditioner that may help combat that waxy feeling. It is 2/3 cup water 1 tsp coconut oil and 1/2 tsp guar gum. I haven’t tried it yet, just getting recipes for starting my at home collection and getting rid of the chemicals… Does anyone know anything about this conditioner and if it works?

1. Mandy

I use the coconut oil oil for a nice condition afterwards but the amount has to be in liquid form and pretty much just use your hands as a comb. The amount should be just enough to seem as if you have greasy hands because if you use to much your hair will seem limp and greasy. The guar gum is going to just coat your hair to give it a nice feel, its whats used in many conditioners bought at the stores.

29. Brandi

I haven’t tried this shampoo recipe because I’ve been told by several hairdressers that baby shampoo is terrible for your hair and shouldn’t be used by adults or on babies. I do use baking soda and water a few days a week, home made conditioning treatment once a week for the ends and occasional vinegar rinse. I have oily scalp/skin, I’ve never had greasy hair since starting this. I have also never had dry hair or scalp since I started, the key is not overdoing it with the baking soda. I haven’t used shampoo for 2 months and my hair looks and feels great.

1. Jennifer

I’ve also been using the baking soda-water mix for shampoo and apple cider vinegar-water mix for my hair rinse……I’ve been using this method for about 9 mos. now, and LOVE it! My hair is healthier and falls out WAY WAY less. It’s also growing faster! I NEVER PLAN TO GO BACK TO CHEMICAL SHAMPOO!

2. Michelle

I have heard that many baby shampoos are hare on hair as well. I recently went to a nutritionalist for testing on sensitivities with foodsw and products and found most baby shampoos are harsh. A product called Live Clean has both regular shampoo and baby wash/shampoo and it tested as being safe from harshness. I use it on my grand daughter who is 2 months and it is very gentle. It depends on the “baby” shampoo you choose. The recipe may want to sugest a good one. Johnstons is a horrible product and people tend to gravitate to that one because of the trade mark name. Hope this helps.

30. Pingback: So I’ve gone no ‘poo, I guess. | MicaPie

31. Meg

So I tried your original recipe since I hadn’t seen your updated one. Unfortunately, the first recipe left my hair very oily. My hair is very fine so that is probably why. (Although my husband ended up stealing it and using it as a body wash, lol). I’ll try this latest one and if that’s a no-go I may try to leave out the oil. I think that’s the problem for me anyhow. Thanks for sharing! :)

32. Bucky

It is very good to use Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade essential oils when making things to use on our skin or taak internally. doTERRA is the only one that makes CPTG oils. Read the lable before using your oils. I am going to try this recipe, it looks interisting.

33. Marie

I have VERY curly hair , just wondering what you suggest for s setting gel or moose instead of the chemical stuff. A poodle had nothing on my poof when I don’t use something. Thanks !!

1. Jillee Post author

Marie, I wish I knew what to suggest but I don’t have curly hair! I find a lot of my ideas just by searching Google for homemade remedies. I’m sure there are great bloggers out there with curly hair who would have fantastic ideas for you ;)

2. Angel

Marie, in answer to your question about a natural setting gel. . .

You can use unflavored gelatin and water.
      Use about 1-2 teaspoons of gelatin,
      Dissolve in 1/4 cup super hot water.
      When completely dissolved, add 1/4 cup cold water.
      Allow to cool and pour into a spray bottle.
      – If its too thick when cool, add more hot water to dilute.

Spray on hair as a setting gel, or moose.

3. Leia

Marie, I have hair like yours that does the same poofy thing. If you don’t mind a pre-treatment before shampooing, try mixing 2T honey, 1T olive oil, and 1T apple cider vinegar together. Comb it through dry hair, and then pin it up in a clip for about an hour. Then rinse well with water and try this shampoo recipe; rinse the shampoo with the cider vinegar/water mixture. I’ve found that the pre-treatment acts as a deep conditioner, and my hair is soft and non-poofy afterwards.

4. Alison

Have you tried making flax seed gel? I have curly hair, and I made the flax seed gel a couple of months ago…and I LOVE it! I also made hairspray (it’s just sugar water), and the combination works excellent in my hair!

34. Gina

You could also add Aloe Vera Gel ( the real stuff) to the original recipee. it is pH balancing so it might be all that is needed to counter the very base pH of the castile soap. or maybe a conditioner using it combined with lemon juice perhaps? it’s time to tinker! cant wait to try a natural shampoo. i couldnt do the no poo method with baking soda. i kept it up for three weeks and my scalp was awful. itchy and flakey. it HURT! and it looked terrible. then i tried WEN and it was nice, but so expensive and i have super long hair so i had to use a gallon of it every time. washing my hair with just conditioner was ok as well, but left me kinda limp after only a day (i’m used to washing my hair every four or five days with traditional shampoo- which i water down alot). plus i hate to use store bought shampoo bc of the s.l.f. and it’s scarey side effects! all those chemicals!! yikes!~ also you can add SEA SALT to your shampoo (i’m sure it would work on this kind too) every few washings to de-grease. use 1pt sea salt to 2pt shampoo.

35. Pingback: Favorite Pinterest Pins from this Week -

36. Morgan

I tried the first shampoo and it did make my hair kind of gross and I used it for a few months. I always used more then a teaspoon because of it not lathering well and I was afraid it would not wash my hair. When I stopped using this shampoo and started using store bought shampoo my hair seemed to fall out a lot more so I am back to this shampoo and trying the 2nd recipe!! Thanks

37. Heather Crider

Hi I love your recipes but was actually pretty sad to see you use aveeno. If using a shampoo as your base I would use one that is at least not tested on animals. My personal journey on health products has been a bit of an Alice and rabbit hole experience. Probably much the same as yours. Anyways, from one person seeking a more natural life to the next aveeno though sold as organic and all still animal tests. I was pretty shocked because of the way they market it.

Thank you for your great posts. I send many of my patients to your site for the shampoo recipe. I read that adding vodka can add shine. I’m trying that next.

38. Stephani

If you add tea tree oil this would be a geat shampoo to hep prevent lice to!! Do you have to use the essentialoi in it? THat is pretty pricey I think and I don’t hve any one hand. Also do you know any recipes for conditioner? I have very thick hair and can’t get abrush through it without it. THank you for all of your wonderful ideas!!! I just LOVE your site!!!

1. Annette

Have you tried coconut oil straight onto your hair as a conditioner. Put it on a short while before you wash your hair and then wash your hair. I have been using that for the last few months and I only do it every few weeks. Leaves your hair really nice and soft.

39. Shantel

Is there anything i can replace the baby shampoo with? I guess if I buy a natural and organic brand of shampoo it would at least stretch the life of the expensive shampoo, but I wasn’t thinking i’d have to go buy some shampoo to make homemade shampoo.. i have dr. bronner’s and a bar of oatmeal soap and I have dreads so i’m looking for something that will moisturize the hair at the roots while leaving little to no residue in the dreadlocks. I might just try adding Aloe to change the ph.

1. Marta

Hi Shantel, Not sure if you’ve found the right thing yet but you could try using Arbonne shampoo (in place of the Aveeno baby shampoo, owned by J&J) and mixing it with the fresh coconut milk? It is toxin, paraben, sulfate, phosphate, GMO & synthetic fragrance FREE! They have Tea Tree, Citrus, Cocoa Butter & baby shampoo options, they are fantastic! If you decide to try it just go to:
      and enter: 13378572
      in the Sponsor ID box for a free membership.
      They are very concentrated and last a very long time!
      I love mine!