Homemade Coconut Milk Shampoo

homemade coconut milk

I have been wanting to make my own homemade shampoo for SUCH a long time! I have searched far and wide!

At first I considered the “No ‘Poo” method which MANY people swear by…but it just didn’t seem like it was for me. So my search continued. Eventually I found two very similar recipes I liked from Crunchy Better and Wellness Mama. Both contain what I consider to be the “magic ingredient”….coconut milk!

While I didn’t MAKE my own coconut milk (I think I will try it next time I make this shampoo), Crunchy Betty has a good tutorial on how to do so.

So here is my version of…..

Homemade Coconut Milk Shampoo

homemade coconut milk

1/4 cup coconut milk (Like I said, you can either make your own, or use store-bought)

1/3 cup liquid castile soap (like Dr. Bronner’s)

1 tsp vitamin E, olive or almond oil

10 to 20 drops your choice of essential oils (I used lavender. Next time I think I’ll do something citrusy just for fun. :-)

homemade coconut milk

Combine all ingredients in a shampoo bottle or jar and shake well to mix. (I bought the squeeze bottles above at the dollar store.) You can keep it in the shower for up to one month…just shake before use.

Use about a teaspoon every time you shampoo. (I used a little more, but my hair is pretty long right now!)

I loved pretty much everything about this shampoo. It smelled good…it lathered up nicely (which I feel strongly about)…and after washing, rinsing and drying…my hair felt soft and smooth. No fly-aways.

Share on Facebook4,681Tweet about this on Twitter98Pin on Pinterest104,392Google+32

Comments

1. flssgrl says

Just finished making this can't wait for my shower tonight! I used Dr. Bronner's almond castile with vanilla essential oil. My hubby loves all things almond so possibly I can get him on board!

2. Juls says

I found the cheapest castile soap at Kroger in their organic and health food section. ALL KINDS of all natural cleaners and soaps!

3. Anonymous says

mine was too. But when I mixed it it blended well. JUST now used it. Hair is wet but I will report tomorrow.

4. Anonymous says

Great blog. I just want to caution you that citrus oils are very harsh. I would not use them in shampoo. Orange oil will strip paint. Lavender is much milder and I was told by an excellent aromatherapist one of the few essential oils you can put directly on your skin uncut. I think rose oil would be neat with the coconut for a change up.

5. Anonymous says

Hi, I recently tried the coconut milk shampoo. I love your recipes and site. But this leaves my hair looking dull and dirty feeling. Is this something that will go away?

6. Southernsweetie says

Just made this, after two trips to the store. Coconut milk beverage and coconut milk are NOT the same thing… On the bright side I now have coconut milk beverage for my morning protein shake… I;m thinking just add pineapple and I'm set!
    My 9 yr old is as excited to try it as I am. :)

7. krunchy bits says

Hmmm… This didnt work for me. My hair came out oily and gross. Same way as when i tried no poo method. Any suggestions to fix this? I rinsed with acv, and even added some baking soda to the shampoo thinking it was the hard water, but got the same results. Any tips ladies?

8. Anonymous says

Hey Doll:
    I just love your all your posts…It's like you read my mind about what I want to know about or try.
    Keep up the great job.
    love, love love

9. Shelley in STL says

Great concept, but didn't exactly work on my hair like I thought. I have fine hair, and maybe it's too porous. Or maybe I should try a lighter oil like Argan (I used straight Vitamin E, which is THICK). My hair came out, well, sticky. Once dry, it looked like I had put mousse in and scrunched it (which I hadn't). This is not totally unwelcome, as I sometimes do scrunch my hair. So maybe I'll use this on those days instead of $20 DevaCurl :) Anyway, without adjusting it to rinse cleaner, I can't use this as my regular shampoo. But I'm going to try it with a lighter oil next time and see what happens. Thanks for the recipe!

10. Stephanie says

First of all I love your blog!!!

Second of all OMG HELP ME. I just made a batch and used it for the first time (first sign something went awry, I had to use practically half the batch to get a decent lather and get all of my hair, 1 teaspoon was like seriously not even close to enough), and my hair is like it's coated in wax! It's dried but in clumps, almost like dreadlocks! The only thing I varied was I used jojoba oil instead of the other kind, and the only reason I did this is because I was all set to make another recipe (http://www.instructables.com/id/Homemade-Shampoo/) which is just castile, jojoba and water. I figured hey it's basically the same except instead of water it's coconut milk. Is the oil seriously making this happen? What is going on!!?? I must have done something very wrong. Even though everyone's hair is different, there's no way this is normal. What did I do?

1. [...] All you need are two ingredients to make the best shampoo ever.  It lathers wonderfully, has a lovely perfume-free fragrance and rinses clean.  It also makes a fabulous body wash.  I love it for my kids because I don’t have to worry about the toxic chemicals that are in the supposedly-natural ”baby shampoos” out there.  The recipe was adapted from One Good Thing by Jillee. [...]