We eat a lot of chicken at our house! There are lots of reasons for this….not the least being we just really LIKE it! :-)
- It’s less expensive than other type of meat.
- It’s SUPER versatile! You can use it in a quick and simple recipe to prepare after a long working day, or a more sophisticated dish to serve on a special occasion. There are literally THOUSANDS of chicken recipes out there!
- You can use the LEFTOVERS in tons of delicious, economical meals!
- It can be cooked quickly when necessary! My chicken meals almost always start with frozen chicken breasts that I throw in the microwave. (Or if I’m using the crockpot…I just throw them in FROZEN!)
- It’s a healthy alternative to red meat (as long as you’re not deep-frying it everytime…or drowning it in fatty sauces).
The problem is….lately I’ve been getting a bit bored with my current repertoire of chicken recipes. And that’s saying something….because I have a LOT of recipes for chicken! (Course a good many of them involve LEMON…I just can’t help it! I love LEMON!)
So tonight I did a little online “research” and came up with quite a few “new” ways I want to try making chicken!
First of all….the PERFECT ROAST CHICKEN!
My friend Tracy Bruce gave me a wonderful (and EASY!) recipe for roast chicken years and years ago and I used to make it all the time! Tonight when I saw a recipe online for Roast Chicken…it reminded me of that recipe I haven’t made for so long! I went to track it down in my recipe book….and there is was!
|Wow! Look at the binding on that thing!
Yeah…it’s an OLD recipe book!
In case you can’t read my “scrawl”…it says:
Wash & dry, salt and pepper inside and out, pour stick of melted butter with clove of garlic over and inside (of the bird); 400 degrees till sizzle (til you HEAR it sizzling); turn down to 300 degrees for 1 hrish (hourish).
Can’t wait to revisit this recipe SOON! (Those OVER-PRICED, dried out, BLAH roasted chickens from the grocery store deli can’t hold a CANDLE to this recipe!)
In addition to this recipe….I came across several more I’m super excited to try! Take a peek and see if any of them appeal to you!
“Marinaded in a flavorful concoction of lemon, oregano, soy sauce and garlic, this recipe is similar to the tasty lemon and garlic grilled chicken that I have waxed poetic about in the past. The difference with the Island Chicken is that it is a bit more subtle on the robust fresh lemon juice and garlic flavors which allows the soy sauce and oregano to really shine, as well.”
“A three-minute dip into a pungent cilantro-lime marinade is all that’s needed to deliver big flavor to chicken breasts. Serve with saffron rice.”
“–place the lemon herb chicken on top of the bed of rice and drizzle with the extra lemony gravy from the crockpot. It is also yummy over mashed potatoes. Plate it up with your favorite veggies and some fresh french bread and you’ve got a meal!”