Hall Closet Makeover in Six Easy Steps!

closet makeoverI finally tackled the monster lurking in our Hall Closet today!

The MONSTER that threatened to bury me in an avalanche of blankets, pillows, bedding, etc. every time I opened it. So I tried just not to open it. But that was becoming a bit impractical.

I headed to Home Depot for “supplies”…..and approximately 2 hours and $60.00 later…the monster has been slayed!!!

Supplies/price breakdown:

(3) Closet Maid 3 ft wire shelves at $11.97 each:  $35.91
(3) Martha Stewart fabric cubes at $6.97 each:  $20.91
(3) Baskets from Thrift Store at $1.00 each: $3.00

GRAND TOTAL:  $59.82

6 Easy Steps:

closet makeover

#1  Empty closet contents.

.closet makeover

#2   Set up “staging area”.   One for games….

closet makeover

….and one for bedding.

closet makeover

#3   Install 3 wires shelves with help of the hubster.

closet makeover

#4   Add Martha Stewart fabric boxes and baskets from the Thrift Store (handles snipped off).

#5   Return folded items to closet and add other items you want to store there now that you have more room!

closet makeover

#6   Stand back and admire handiwork!

Print Friendly
Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter5Pin on Pinterest1,101Google+2

Comments

1. Marce says

Holy Cow! Nice job. Glad to see the transformation. Makes me feel better about my own closets(seeing the before pic) and inspires me to quit procrastinating. In three hours I could be a happy camper. Thanks Jill.

2. Kathi Kraftyzales says

Looks awesome, but:
    Get those pillows and blankets in plastic zippered pouches/bags. Keep the dust off.

• Amanda Collins says

I LOVE LOVE LOVE those space saver vacuum sealer bags.. they shrink everything down flat for more room! :o)

Thanks for this post because ALL of the closets in my house need some re-do to happen!

That’s great!!! I’m still in awe of how much you get done on a daily basis. BTW, what is the white stuff in the ball jars? Curiosity might just kill this cat!

4. Tara says

Jillee I love this BUT I have to know. Please show a tutorial on how you fold those comforters so beautifully. I can not get mine so nice and neat. They come out a big mess. This is probably a stupid question, and maybe everyone already knows how to do this but I definitely can’t fold like that!!

Tara….great minds must think alike because AS I was folding stuff yesterday I was thinking that I should snap a few pictures and show how it’s done.
      Consider it done. I’ll update a.s.a.p. :-)

5. Sade says

Jill,
    As usual, you are my hero! I am beginning spring cleaning and was dreading the hall closet and kitchen pantry (mine looks very similar to your before picture). I am inspired and hope to make mine look as good as yours! Thanks, you’re a Blessing :)

6. Priyanka says

Nice Job Jillie, I’m doing it today only :) Though Martha Stewarts products not available here in India, Im sure I’ll find something for sure

7. Jessica says

I finally around to doing my closet! It doesn’t look quite as nice as yours but at least everything is organized!!

8. Hello it's me says

I don’t have a linen closet, but I have a largish niche in the hall outside the bathroom. I put a cabinet with shelves in the niche, and now I have a linen cabinet instead of a closet. I still have a good 2-2 1/2 feet next to it. I have a table there now, but I’m going to do something else with it one of these days. Maybe I can find another cabinet that will fit next to it, but I’m just not sure what I want to do with it yet. I keep piling things on top of the cabinet and table, but I cleaned it all up a few weeks ago. I still need to tidy up the inside of the cabinet though. There’s probably stuff I forgot I had in there.