Monday, April 23, 2012

Homemade Cold Cream

If there is one thing that I like to take pride in with this blog….it is providing any and all homemade alternatives to expensive store-bought products. I know I have posted homemade alternatives for removing makeup/moisturizing before…but for some reason, the thought of trying an “old-fashioned” cold cream appealed to me, so I decided to post about this one I found tonight.

It can be used as a cleanser to remove makeup and dirt….and, when left on overnight, softens skin and relieves dryness. I love a two-fer! :-)

HOMEMADE COLD CREAM

1/4 teaspoon borax
1/4 cup distilled water
1/2 cup mineral oil, or another oil that is liquid at room temperature (Almond is nice)
1/2 ounce (by weight) grated beeswax (or just a little over two tablespoons)

Dissolve the borax in the water in a (one cup) glass measuring cup. Set aside.

Add together the oil and beeswax in a larger (2-cup) glass measuring cup.

Heat the oil/beeswax mix in a microwave until the beeswax is melted and the mixture is clear. (Start with 30 seconds at a time).

Heat the borax/water mix in a microwave for a minute – almost to boiling.

Slowly pour the borax/water mixture into the oil/beeswax mixture, using a stick blender to mix as you pour. Now beat well with the stick blender until the mix is glossy white and thicken.

Pour the (hot) cold cream into an 8-ounce jar with a lid.

Let it cool to room temperature.

Done!

Never miss a good thing!
Receive a daily dose of Jillee + bonus newsletters.

44 thoughts on “Homemade Cold Cream

1. Joy

I tried the sweet almond oil and it is absolutely lovely! How about substituting chamomile tea (done in distilled water)? I did a tablespoon of chamomile tea, and lemon verbena in the water. Any ideas? If that’s doable I guess maybe substituting rose water in place of the distilled would be my next wonder…..hmmm

1. roni

really? i use coconut oil on my face twice a day, every day. no clogged pores here. if i get a zit, it’s usually around my period. tea tree oil clears that up real quick….

1. Mrs. K

I am a licensed aesthetician and have used coconut oil on my skin and the skin of my clients for years. It is the healthiest oil for the skin, in my opinion. Not only is it a wonderful moisturizer, it melts make-up off the skin quickly and easily. Olive oil is also very nice, but I prefer coconut – unrefined, organic. I us it as a cleanser and moisturizer – absolutely NO clogged pores, just healthy, soft skin. Mineral oil – yuck. Borax – unnecessary. All that mixing, also unnecessary. Go buy a jar of organic, unrefined coconut oil – better yet, buy two – one for the powder room and one for the kitchen; eat at least a tablespoon a day; use it for cleansing and moisturizing, your body will thank you. BTW – coconut oil is antibacterial and anti-fungal.

2. Chandra

I will be making this next weekend. I avoid mineral oil as well, but I want to try this with jojoba oil. If that doesn’t work out for some reason, attempt #2 will be with the almond oil. FUN!

3. Kim

Do you realize that Borax is officially classified as a poison? It is also linked to reproductive problems in lab studies. The EU requires warning labels on products that contain Borax. I realize this cream doesn’t contain much of it, but still not something I want to slather on my face on a regular basis.

1. Faith

Borax is NOT Boric Acid. The reason most claims are made that Borax is a poison is because the studies they quote from erroneously state “Borax or Boric Acid.” They are two different things being used and talked about as if they are interchangeable.

1. Judyann

Thanks for the response! I actually have one of those, made by Braun. It is awsome.
        My mind just didn’t go there for a stick blender. haha I used it to crush cans of tomatoes to put in my spaghetti sauce because my youngest grandson wouldn’t eat tomatoes! sneaky grandma, because tomatoes had to go in my sauce.

4. Lisa

For myself, I would just omit the Borax and use other oils instead of the Mineral. I think your Non petrolum jelly works great as a make-up remover for me and I use on my face already.

1. Faith

It really seems to depend on two things – your skin type and the type of coconut oil you get. If your skin is oily it seems more prone to pores clogging, whereas if it’s drier it’s less so. Also, good quality virgin coconut oil is less likely to cause problems than a lower quality oil – same as olive oil.

5. Rulissa @ Mustard Seeds in Oklahoma

I can’t wait to try this!! I will be using my extra virgin coconut oil and can’t wait to feel it on my skin. I already use your “was your face with oil” and love it. I’m just prone to a really dry spot. Hopefully this will help!!! Thanks so much for all your research on our behalf!

Come see what we’re up to at…

6. Pingback: DIY: Homemade Cold Cream · Bath and Body | CraftGossip.com

7. mary

I was afraid this would have Crisco or something in it like other cold cream recipes I have found in past. Was so delighted to find natural and simple ingredients!!! I am always looking for ways to use my bees wax in products that my bees provide for me!! Will pin this idea for sure!!

8. Deborah Jennings

Since I make my own lye soap, I am going to have to make some of this, too! I am trying to stay away from petroleum products for my skin care.

9. Jamie

You can find cosmetic grade borax (sodium borate) with no surfactants or detergents from Mountain Rose Herbs and other sites online.

10. Thokokubheka

I don’t have a comment .i would like to have more of this,becoz i’m an extradry person.my skin doesn’t want something that has a perfume,if possible can u send for me other homemade moisture &cleanser on my email . I can appreciate that

11. Sonja

Ive been looking for this recipe forever! If only I’d gotten on pinterest sooner! LOL. You’re the best and have already saved me a fortune (and I haven’t even made anything yet!)

12. Stephanie

I love coconut oil……… I use this on my face to cleanse and rub on my feet after getting out of shower. I also use pure raw shea butter at night on my face.. You don’t have to spend a lot of money on these products and the are all natural……. So ladies put down that jar with mineral oil and all that other stuff that clogs the pores and pick up some conconut oil and raw shea butter… Your body will love it.

13. Designed By CeeJayRose

Besides honey, cold cream is my favourite thing to clean my face with (or use as a moisturizer). I even got my cousin and my friend hooked on it. When I was using cold cream every day (I’ve been using honey for the last few months) even my boyfriend noticed a difference in my skin. <3

And the borax is essential for this recipe. As mentioned above, it's an emulsifier and without it the oil and water would just separate.

14. Jennifer

I just made a jar of this. I was looking in my cabinets to see what else might be good on my skin. I made the recipe with sweet almond oil and coconut oil I steeped a super fruit green tea bag in the borax and water mixture and added a few drops of colloidal silver, crushed vitamin C tablets and some vitamin E.
    It smells so good and feels divine on my skin! The tea turned it a pale pink color as well. Very girly!

15. Banks Newbury Park

Hi! I just wanted to ask if you ever have any issues
    with hackers? My last blog (wordpress) was hacked and I ended up losing many months of hard work
    due to no data backup. Do you have any methods to stop hackers?

16. Gail D.

I have very sensitive skin and developed blackheads (clogged pores) in under a week from both olive oil and organic coconut oil. So be forewarned–everyone’s skin is different and watch for blackheads when using new stuff on your skin!

17. dianna

i love to make this using the shea/cocoa butter baby oil. it smells so yummy! and for those worried about the borax – it is 1/4 tsp! some people actually take a pinch of borax for the health benefits. anything in too large a dose can be a poison. the borax is only needed for the emulsfying qualities. if you wish you can omit it and have more of a balm. or make the beeswax/oil mixture which is more like a balm or vaseline. the water won’t stay emulsified into the mixture without the borax but the beeswax will help. it is just that little drops of water will slowly come out.

try it and see!

18. Erin

I know it’s been a long time since this was posted, but THANK YOU THANK YOU. My skin has never been the same since Ponds changed their cold cream formula, and I’m unbelievably excited to get my thick and gooey cream back. I’ve never been able to get the same results with anything on the market now, and I’m really looking forward to giving this a go!

19. Patricia Hastings

I just made this recipe this weekend, and I followed it exactly, but for some reason my cold cream is not becoming solid or thicker at all. Mine is still very much liquid. I have tried to put it in fridge, even poured all four containers that I made into my vitamix to blend again, still no such luck. I now have all four containers in my freezer, until I can figure out what to do. I am so bummed, I really want this to work, but for the life of me I cannot figure out why it didn’t thicken??