Homemade Cold Cream

If there is one thing that I like to take pride in with this blog….it is providing any and all homemade alternatives to expensive store-bought products. I know I have posted homemade alternatives for removing makeup/moisturizing before…but for some reason, the thought of trying an “old-fashioned” cold cream appealed to me, so I decided to post about this one I found tonight.

It can be used as a cleanser to remove makeup and dirt….and, when left on overnight, softens skin and relieves dryness. I love a two-fer! :-)

HOMEMADE COLD CREAM

1/4 teaspoon borax
1/4 cup distilled water
1/2 cup mineral oil, or another oil that is liquid at room temperature (Almond is nice)
1/2 ounce (by weight) grated beeswax (or just a little over two tablespoons)

Dissolve the borax in the water in a (one cup) glass measuring cup. Set aside.

Add together the oil and beeswax in a larger (2-cup) glass measuring cup.

Heat the oil/beeswax mix in a microwave until the beeswax is melted and the mixture is clear. (Start with 30 seconds at a time).

Heat the borax/water mix in a microwave for a minute – almost to boiling.

Slowly pour the borax/water mixture into the oil/beeswax mixture, using a stick blender to mix as you pour. Now beat well with the stick blender until the mix is glossy white and thicken.

Pour the (hot) cold cream into an 8-ounce jar with a lid.

Let it cool to room temperature.

Done!

Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter5Pin on Pinterest730Google+1

Comments

1. Joy says

I tried the sweet almond oil and it is absolutely lovely! How about substituting chamomile tea (done in distilled water)? I did a tablespoon of chamomile tea, and lemon verbena in the water. Any ideas? If that’s doable I guess maybe substituting rose water in place of the distilled would be my next wonder…..hmmm

• Carrie says

Coconut oil is not good for the face because it will clog your pores really bad, olive oil will also.

• roni says

really? i use coconut oil on my face twice a day, every day. no clogged pores here. if i get a zit, it’s usually around my period. tea tree oil clears that up real quick….

I am a licensed aesthetician and have used coconut oil on my skin and the skin of my clients for years. It is the healthiest oil for the skin, in my opinion. Not only is it a wonderful moisturizer, it melts make-up off the skin quickly and easily. Olive oil is also very nice, but I prefer coconut – unrefined, organic. I us it as a cleanser and moisturizer – absolutely NO clogged pores, just healthy, soft skin. Mineral oil – yuck. Borax – unnecessary. All that mixing, also unnecessary. Go buy a jar of organic, unrefined coconut oil – better yet, buy two – one for the powder room and one for the kitchen; eat at least a tablespoon a day; use it for cleansing and moisturizing, your body will thank you. BTW – coconut oil is antibacterial and anti-fungal.

• Lisa says

I use both coconut and olive as does my teenager and No clogged pores. Much better on our faces than the Cleansers we were both using before.

• Wendy says

I cannot attest to fractionated or refined coconut oil, but virgin coconut oil is excellent for the skin?

2. Molly says

Mineral oil is a by product of making gasoline and also will clog your pores. My dermatologist said to avoid it completely.

I will be making this next weekend. I avoid mineral oil as well, but I want to try this with jojoba oil. If that doesn’t work out for some reason, attempt #2 will be with the almond oil. FUN!

4. Kim says

Do you realize that Borax is officially classified as a poison? It is also linked to reproductive problems in lab studies. The EU requires warning labels on products that contain Borax. I realize this cream doesn’t contain much of it, but still not something I want to slather on my face on a regular basis.

5. Lisa says

For myself, I would just omit the Borax and use other oils instead of the Mineral. I think your Non petrolum jelly works great as a make-up remover for me and I use on my face already.

6. April says

hmm… You think that is true about coconut oil being bad for your face? I have been using it on my feet, face, hands, elbows, etc. And I LOVE it! I have been telling everyone about it and even got my teenage daughters to use it. I definitely don’t want to cause blemishes for them…

• Faith says

It really seems to depend on two things – your skin type and the type of coconut oil you get. If your skin is oily it seems more prone to pores clogging, whereas if it’s drier it’s less so. Also, good quality virgin coconut oil is less likely to cause problems than a lower quality oil – same as olive oil.