Homemade Cold Cream

If there is one thing that I like to take pride in with this blog….it is providing any and all homemade alternatives to expensive store-bought products. I know I have posted homemade alternatives for removing makeup/moisturizing before…but for some reason, the thought of trying an “old-fashioned” cold cream appealed to me, so I decided to post about this one I found tonight.

It can be used as a cleanser to remove makeup and dirt….and, when left on overnight, softens skin and relieves dryness. I love a two-fer! :-)

HOMEMADE COLD CREAM

1/4 teaspoon borax
1/4 cup distilled water
1/2 cup mineral oil, or another oil that is liquid at room temperature (Almond is nice)
1/2 ounce (by weight) grated beeswax (or just a little over two tablespoons)

Dissolve the borax in the water in a (one cup) glass measuring cup. Set aside.

Add together the oil and beeswax in a larger (2-cup) glass measuring cup.

Heat the oil/beeswax mix in a microwave until the beeswax is melted and the mixture is clear. (Start with 30 seconds at a time).

Heat the borax/water mix in a microwave for a minute – almost to boiling.

Slowly pour the borax/water mixture into the oil/beeswax mixture, using a stick blender to mix as you pour. Now beat well with the stick blender until the mix is glossy white and thicken.

Pour the (hot) cold cream into an 8-ounce jar with a lid.

Let it cool to room temperature.

Done!

Facebook65Twitter5Pinterest731Google+1

Comments

1. Joy says

I tried the sweet almond oil and it is absolutely lovely! How about substituting chamomile tea (done in distilled water)? I did a tablespoon of chamomile tea, and lemon verbena in the water. Any ideas? If that’s doable I guess maybe substituting rose water in place of the distilled would be my next wonder…..hmmm

I am a licensed aesthetician and have used coconut oil on my skin and the skin of my clients for years. It is the healthiest oil for the skin, in my opinion. Not only is it a wonderful moisturizer, it melts make-up off the skin quickly and easily. Olive oil is also very nice, but I prefer coconut – unrefined, organic. I us it as a cleanser and moisturizer – absolutely NO clogged pores, just healthy, soft skin. Mineral oil – yuck. Borax – unnecessary. All that mixing, also unnecessary. Go buy a jar of organic, unrefined coconut oil – better yet, buy two – one for the powder room and one for the kitchen; eat at least a tablespoon a day; use it for cleansing and moisturizing, your body will thank you. BTW – coconut oil is antibacterial and anti-fungal.

2. Kim says

Do you realize that Borax is officially classified as a poison? It is also linked to reproductive problems in lab studies. The EU requires warning labels on products that contain Borax. I realize this cream doesn’t contain much of it, but still not something I want to slather on my face on a regular basis.

3. Lisa says

For myself, I would just omit the Borax and use other oils instead of the Mineral. I think your Non petrolum jelly works great as a make-up remover for me and I use on my face already.

• Faith says

It really seems to depend on two things – your skin type and the type of coconut oil you get. If your skin is oily it seems more prone to pores clogging, whereas if it’s drier it’s less so. Also, good quality virgin coconut oil is less likely to cause problems than a lower quality oil – same as olive oil.

4. Rulissa @ Mustard Seeds in Oklahoma says

I can’t wait to try this!! I will be using my extra virgin coconut oil and can’t wait to feel it on my skin. I already use your “was your face with oil” and love it. I’m just prone to a really dry spot. Hopefully this will help!!! Thanks so much for all your research on our behalf!

Come see what we’re up to at…

I was afraid this would have Crisco or something in it like other cold cream recipes I have found in past. Was so delighted to find natural and simple ingredients!!! I am always looking for ways to use my bees wax in products that my bees provide for me!! Will pin this idea for sure!!

6. Thokokubheka says

I don’t have a comment .i would like to have more of this,becoz i’m an extradry person.my skin doesn’t want something that has a perfume,if possible can u send for me other homemade moisture &cleanser on my email . I can appreciate that

7. Sonja says

Ive been looking for this recipe forever! If only I’d gotten on pinterest sooner! LOL. You’re the best and have already saved me a fortune (and I haven’t even made anything yet!)

8. Stephanie says

I love coconut oil……… I use this on my face to cleanse and rub on my feet after getting out of shower. I also use pure raw shea butter at night on my face.. You don’t have to spend a lot of money on these products and the are all natural……. So ladies put down that jar with mineral oil and all that other stuff that clogs the pores and pick up some conconut oil and raw shea butter… Your body will love it.

Besides honey, cold cream is my favourite thing to clean my face with (or use as a moisturizer). I even got my cousin and my friend hooked on it. When I was using cold cream every day (I’ve been using honey for the last few months) even my boyfriend noticed a difference in my skin. <3

And the borax is essential for this recipe. As mentioned above, it's an emulsifier and without it the oil and water would just separate.

10. Jennifer says

I just made a jar of this. I was looking in my cabinets to see what else might be good on my skin. I made the recipe with sweet almond oil and coconut oil I steeped a super fruit green tea bag in the borax and water mixture and added a few drops of colloidal silver, crushed vitamin C tablets and some vitamin E.
    It smells so good and feels divine on my skin! The tea turned it a pale pink color as well. Very girly!

11. Gail D. says

I have very sensitive skin and developed blackheads (clogged pores) in under a week from both olive oil and organic coconut oil. So be forewarned–everyone’s skin is different and watch for blackheads when using new stuff on your skin!

12. dianna says

i love to make this using the shea/cocoa butter baby oil. it smells so yummy! and for those worried about the borax – it is 1/4 tsp! some people actually take a pinch of borax for the health benefits. anything in too large a dose can be a poison. the borax is only needed for the emulsfying qualities. if you wish you can omit it and have more of a balm. or make the beeswax/oil mixture which is more like a balm or vaseline. the water won’t stay emulsified into the mixture without the borax but the beeswax will help. it is just that little drops of water will slowly come out.

try it and see!

13. Erin says

I know it’s been a long time since this was posted, but THANK YOU THANK YOU. My skin has never been the same since Ponds changed their cold cream formula, and I’m unbelievably excited to get my thick and gooey cream back. I’ve never been able to get the same results with anything on the market now, and I’m really looking forward to giving this a go!

14. Patricia Hastings says

I just made this recipe this weekend, and I followed it exactly, but for some reason my cold cream is not becoming solid or thicker at all. Mine is still very much liquid. I have tried to put it in fridge, even poured all four containers that I made into my vitamix to blend again, still no such luck. I now have all four containers in my freezer, until I can figure out what to do. I am so bummed, I really want this to work, but for the life of me I cannot figure out why it didn’t thicken??

• Liz says

I know this is a bit late in terms of a reply but if your having a problem getting your homemade lotion or cream to thicken you may not have used enough wax to emulsify the oils and water. When this happens to me I put in a drop of lecithin which can be found at any organic grocer. Just a drop of the lecithin will thicken it up nicely, and it is also very good for skin.

Just a comment about borax, as long as it’s used in small proportions in creams, it’s actually quite good for skin, it helps clean the skin and it also acts as an emulsifier. Boron is a trace mineral found in soil, there is nothing poisonous about it unless consumed or absorbed in excessive quantities. In fact, people are supposed to consume between 3-6mg of boron daily in their diets through vegetables. However, due to soil stripped of minerals by pesticides and a lack of veggies in people’s diets, many are actually boron deficient these days. Boron deficiency is being linked to bone loss, osteoporosis, mad some types of arthritis. Boron is also one of the minerals, along with magnesium, that help regulate hormones. Boron supplements can help alleviate quite a few health issues, including pas symptoms, arthritis, and it can actually help improve bone density.

• Liz says

A few grammatical and spelling errors. The word pas in the second paragraph is supposed to be PMS. I have had great success using boron-plus to treat my severe PMS symptoms. It’s a supplement that contains 1.5mg of boron as well as magnesium, calcium and a vitamin d in each pill. The bottle indicates taking two pills twice a day but i only take 1-2 pills a day and only 3-4xs a week and have seen a huge difference in PMS symptoms, including no breast tenderness, significantly reduced mood swings, less cramping, and no more time of the month related acne. The changes have been so dramatic even my clueless husband has noticed a difference.

At any rate, it is worth doing your own research about boron and seeing if you may benefit from adding some to your life. It is certainly not the poison that the internet seems to hype it to be.