Make Your Own Translucent Face Powder

Recently I keep seeing this idea for making your own Translucent Face Powder popping up on Pinterest. It’s intriguing to say the least!

It turns out, you can BUY the very popular Mineral Veil for $20.00 from bareEscentuals, OR for about .05 cents worth of ingredients that you probably already have in your cupboards right now, you can make your own!

I’m personally pretty excited about this because I have always used some type of translucent powder and the prices can be ridiculous!

But it really does put the “finishing” touch” on your whole makeup application…so I’ve always “bit the bullet” and “paid the price for beauty”.  :-)

Some of the other benefits of using a “finishing” powder include:

• Minimizes pores and fine lines.
  • Absorbs oils to keep your skin looking fresh and clean
  • Prolongs wear of Foundation, Lipcolor, and Eyecolor
  • Can also be worn on bare skin for a fresh, feather-light finish
  • Works beautifully for all skin tones and types

Cara at ChiselBeauty.com is the one who figured all this out for us. (Thanks Cara!)

Here is her recipe/formula:

1/2 Tablespoon Cornstarch

1 Teaspoon Baby Powder (talc)

FROM THE AMERICAN CANCER SOCIETY:

Talcum powder is made from talc, a mineral made up mainly of the elements magnesium, silicon, and oxygen. As a powder, it absorbs moisture well and helps cut down on friction, making it useful for keeping skin dry and helping to prevent rashes. It is widely used in cosmetic products such as baby powder and adult body and facial powders, as well as in a number of other consumer products.

In its natural form, some talc may contain asbestos, a substance known to cause cancers in and around the lungs when inhaled (see our document, Asbestos). All home-use talcum products in the United States have been asbestos-free since the 1970s.

(If you are still worried about using talc, just leave it out, it will work without it.)

Optional:  1/8 Teaspoon Powder Foundation ( if you want to add a touch of color)

Directions:

Stir all ingredients together and store in a used (and washed) powder container or a mint tin. Apply with powder brush.

Love it!  So simple and inexpensive!

Since I had all of the ingredients on hand (all 2 of them!) ….I decided to try it out. I opted to add the optional 1/8 teaspoon of powder foundation because my uber fair skin can use all the color I can get. :-)   I’m still rather dumb-founded when I think about how much money I have spent on powders in the past…when this worked every bit as good! I really hate that. lol. But I won’t dwell on it because what’s done is done and we can’t change the past.

But you can be sure I won’t be buying any more expensive powders! (Or even INexpensive ones!)  Why should I?  This literally costs PENNIES to make AND free of fillers! A WIN-WIN to be sure!

Facebook0Twitter16Pinterest25445Google+2

Comments

1. Sade says

Hi Jill,
    I was intrigued by home made face powder! I hate to be a wet blanket, but Baby Powder (Talc) is closely related to Asbestos and can cause cancer. Baby Powder is no longer allowed in Hospitals, for adults as well as newborns. It is considered a respiratory irritant at the very least, but evidence shows that it causes lung cancer when particles are inhaled and can cause ovarian/uterine cancer when applied to groin area. I would be cautious if using it-by not inhaling when applying it to your face.

I wonder if Rice Powder could be substituted for the Baby Powder? Probably wouldn’t be as inexpensive ‘tho.
    I love your posts and can’t wait to read them each day! I don’t even wait to get an email that you’ve posted, I just go straight to your site when I wake up :).

Your Biggest Fan, Sade.

• Fina says

I just got done reading that most all of our rice contains arsenic, and currently the FDA is working on trying to lower this, but given that fact I think rice powder may be as bad for your skin (the 3rd kidney) as the retail chemical powders. Just a thought.

2. Autumn Green says

Hi Jill
    I read an article the other day about this and like you I have spent a ton of money on the mineral makeup. The one I read said just to use cornstarch. I haven’t yet because I still have some that I paid 20 bucks for…do you sense the bitterness??? lol

Anyway, I WILL be using cornstarch from here on. Any ideas on making the foundation?

I love your posts. Can’t wait to see what’s new everyday. Thanks so much for all your wonderful advice and tips!

Autumn Green

• Amanda says

I exsclusively use a similar formula! For color I added cocoa powder to the cornstarch until it reached the right color for my skin. I created a second batch that is darker (more cocoa powder) to use as bronzer. With this and a good store bought concealer I feel my face looks great! (And I have acne prone skin…) I love it. Also, no funny smells. My husband has disliked the smell of every other foundation/powder I’ve used. I still use store bought eye products and blush.

• Ana says

Hi! I just saw this post, and as wonderful as it sounds I am a little concerned because I have acne prone skin too! Doesn’t the cornstarch clog your pores? Have you had this problem at all?

3. Melissa says

You can leave out the talc if you’re uncomfortable using it. Cosmetic-grade talc was deemed safe by the FDA, but many cosmetic companies are getting on the bandwagon and disincluding it from their products. The actual Mineral Veil is mostly just cornstarch anyway; it uses zinc stearate to repel water and improve the texture of the product, magnesium stearate to prevent clumping and sticking to the packaging, and iron oxide to provide pigment.

4. Mary says

This is what I’ve been doing for years! If I want some color, I use a light bronzer or a similar color of blush on parts of my face.

I personally wouldn’t worry about the baby powder. Not only is it a small amount, but it has the cornstarch to weigh it down. And unless you are using a dramatic movie scene, you probably won’t create much dust using this day to day. If you shake the brush, do it down at your side and you won’t inhale the dust from that.

5. valerie says

I definitely will be trying this one out. I need to get the ingredients though which shouldn’t be that hard to come by. I am hooked on your blog and have tried several of your ideas…thank you!

I Agree with the baby powder issue-It should not be used on your skin, or near your lungs.Its not just the talc in it, but the other chemicals and fragrences used in it. You can make rice powder by fine grinding organic rice into a powder in a food processor and use that to replace the babypowder, or leave the baby powder out all together.

• Fina says

Accept sadly, I just read the most rice contains arsenic. They are working on reducing this problem, but for now I think it might be just as bad as any other chemical cosmetic. I am going to try cornstarch (on lady had luck with tapioca starch too), and failing this I will buy arrowroot powder.

• Fina says

Accept sadly, I just read that most rice contains arsenic. They are working on reducing this problem, but for now I think it might be just as bad as any other chemical cosmetic. I am going to try cornstarch (one lady had luck with tapioca starch too), and failing this I will buy arrowroot powder.

7. Stace says

I have used cornstarch for over three decades on my uber white skin. I started while I actually worked for a major department store make up company. It was hard to find loose powder light enough for my skin. I have tried it on a few clients, but found it ghostly on those with darker pigments. The addition of a bit of color would be great.

8. Amy says

I switched to the cornstarch version of baby powder a few years ago after learning of the cancer link, so wouldn’t that kind be safe to sub in here? I love everything about this idea, though, and happen to be almost out of Mineral Veil so I can’t wait to try it!

9. Trenna says

I recently subscribed to your blog also and I just wanted to let you know that I just love it. It is definitely one of my favorite go to blog now. I’m following you on Pinterest also. That is how I found you. Thanks so much for sharing all your experiments with us. You are an awesome Lady!

FROM THE AMERICAN CANCER SOCIETY:

11. Melissa Smith says

ahaha thought that highlighted post from jillee was funny.. becuz she already posted it! funny too how everyone seems to keep ignoring the fact that asbestos has not been in the talc powder since the 70′s!! heheee hello people! funny! and wut a cool idea! making ur own face powder!! gotta try it soon :) keep it up jillee I look forward to your tips every single day!

• Lisa Thomas says

I am in love with the idea of using all natural products. I sorta make a homemade foundation using organic coconut oil, and cocoa powder, or cinnamon. I have also used the cornstarch, and cocoa powder as a homemade dry foundation. Works great, you just have to find you’re color.

• gina says

I buy Bare Minerals from Sephora now that I live in Spain, but you can easily get it for cheaper on ebay. I´ve used some various brands from places like CVS/walmart/etc. and I liked them just fine… I just like BM the best :)

12. Charlene says

Thank you! Thank you!! Thank you!!! I was just noticing I’m almost out of foundation and mineral veil…and was considering going to E.L.F., because that’s the least expensive place I’ve found…well, this is even less expensive. Love it!!!

13. austin says

Dear Jillee. I love you. :) I have learned SO MUCH from your blog!! I can’t imagine how you have so many new great ideas and try them all out–and they’re all SO GOOD!! If you have a million people coming to your blog from Pinterest, it’s because I’m totally promoting you. :) Thanks for doing what you do–I really feel like you are improving the quality of my life and the lives of my family.

14. Jennifer B says

I love this idea! I stumbled on your website from Pinterest. I will definitely be trying this. I will be one that will leave out the talc because my ob/gyn is very anti-talc; she says it is linked to ovarian cancer.

I will be looking through your site! So far, I am loving it!! Thanks!

15. Katie says

Great stuff! just mixed up some and put on my makeup! love it-had a container of a bunch of not working powder colors-some were to light some dark-was using it but not happy with color-mixed a bunch of it in with this mix and its perfect now! goes on so light and easy, smells good and stretched what I was thinking of throwing. so saved me money. My face feels so good-will see how long it lasts. Thanks just found your blog and I am hooked!

Once again another great idea that I just so happen to have all materials on hand. I have been using loose face powder for years and when it comes to saving some money I’m all for it so I am going to give this a try :)

17. Jamie says

If you want to add some color or make a bronzer, you could add cinnamon, nutmeg or cocoa powder or a combination of those. Cinnamon can be irritating to skin so I’d try it on a small spot first to see how sensitive your skin is to it.

18. krystal says

Cool idea about the diy powder. You can also add rubbing alcohol then let it evaporate to create a pressed powder:) rubbing alcohol evaporates very quickly. Ive done this with pressed powder that ive dropped and shattered….

19. Marissa says

I made this tonight, loved it, made it again in bulk! I have incredibly pale skin so this works great for me. I’ll have to add colored powder to what I just made for my Gram though since she’s so much darker. Thanks for another great addition to my “recipes” from you!

• Cathy D says

NO! Baking soda is not a good substitution for talc. Corn starch, tapioca starch, arrowroot powder–these are acceptable substitutes. However, most baby powder is talc-free so it shouldn’t be a problem. Well, except for the fragrance in it…and the preservatives, if any.

20. Hope says

you can also add unsweetened cocoa powder for some color. my $60 powder ran out and was back-ordered for at least 6 weeks. ugh! of course i waited until the last minute to order it…so i did some internet searches and found the corn starch/cocoa powder idea on several sites.

made some up and i am matte and pretty! i have tzone issues, so i am excited about the oil control that everyone else seems to be having!

They say it is unclear if talcum powder causes cancer if used elsewhere other than inhaling it or for use on the vagina. But if women that powder their vagina’s with it get ovarian cancer, than what will happen if you powder your face with it? I’m definitely not going I be the one that finds out. We really need to be thinking ahead when it comes to what we put on our bodies.

Great recipe though! Thanks. I’m going to try it.

Great minds think alike, I saw the make your own powder on Pinterest too and went to researching, your blog is the #1 rank for “how to make your own translucent powder” on Google. I hope to one day reach your heights and get some first page rankings :)

23. jen says

I just ran out of my bare minerals and mixed up a batch from your instructions. I have a small bottle of a shade that was too dark and it was perfect for tinting this! I can make at least 5 or 6 batches from that one bottle now, so glad I didn’t trash it! That’s $150 savings!!!

24. trinae says

I just made this this morning, but the only baby powder I had has cornstarch in it. Could that be why it dried up a little in a few spots? Is that too much cornstarch? Never paid much attention to the labels before. Live this though, thanks and love your blog!!!

• Cathy D says

Trinae, you’ll need to moisturize well before applying the powder. The formula as written is meant to be a ‘light’ finishing, not a cover up, so moisturize and use your cover up makeup before lightly dusting your face for the finishing touch.

25. Cathy D says

As a cosmetic formulator, I can say from experience that it is fun to make your own makeup! There are several places to buy kits that will include colors, containers, instructions, etc. for the home DIY person. They are extremely cost effective compared to buying finished product in the stores. I’m not related to any of the following companies, I’ve just listed them as a place to get started. Hopefully Jillee doesn’t mind?
    http://www.tkbtrading.com/category.php?category_id=10 **This is one of my favorite places to purchase supplies.
    http://youtu.be/vfEeHfYViMI **This is a video how-to by Anne Marie, owner of Brambleberry, who sells kits and information for you to get started!
    http://swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.ca/2009/09/using-talc-in-mineral-make-up.html **Another perspective regarding using talc. Great site for researching.

26. Lulu says

I’ve been using something like this for years. My face is super sensitive, and I was looking for a powder to help minimize the facial oil and sweat from blazing hot southern summers without necessarily imparting much color. So I started blending cornstarch and cocoa powder to help minimize the too white appearance of straight cornstarch (cocoa also has antioxidant and skin soothing properties) and have been using ever since. Sometimes I will add a bit of green clay especially in summer as it helps counteract the redness I get from the heat and adds absorbing qualities. I just made my own sunscreen with zinc oxide and am considering adding a bit of that for our beach and pool days rather than slather on the super thick homemade stuff. Love your site by the way, I have made several of the recipes posted and everything turned out great! I’m so glad I found you as I will be needing to save money once we retired from the military and these recipes will become a staple for sure!

27. Georgine Schwien says

You’ve heard the rumors — but now you’ve got proof. There is absolutely nothing in the world that compares to the sweet sensation of a baby’s skin. It feels good, it smells good — heck, it even tastes pretty sweet when you kiss it. But there’s a downside to that brand-new and delicious epidermis: Newborn skin is ultrasensitive to a host of potential irritants. Some might cause bumps, others a bright-red rash. Most of these baby blemishes are perfectly normal and will pass with time, especially if you know how to treat them. Here’s a roundup of the most common skin conditions that can develop in your baby’s first year,:

Latest post on our personal online site
    <.http://www.caramoan.co/