A few months ago….I attempted (and failed!) to make my own tinted mason jars. They were supposed to look like this…..
But ended up looking like this…..
Then I decided to try different colored jars (I apparently have a fascination with this idea!) and had a bit more success with those. But I still wasn’t completely satisfied with how they turned out.
I could hardly wait to try my hand at painting….again. :-) And I have to say….I’m pretty thrilled with how they turned out!
I think the photographs are pretty self-explanatory…but here is how it’s done….in a nutshell:
- Pour a generous amount of paint into the jar. (I found sample jars of latex paint at Walmart for $2.47 each!)
- Swirl it around slowly to evenly coat the jar.
- Pour excess back into paint container (try not to spill!)
- Set the containers upside-down on cardboard (I used brown packaging paper) and let excess drip out (otherwise, you will have permanent drip marks).
- Move containers every 15 minutes or so, so they wont stick to the cardboard.
- After about 2-3 hours, turn them over and let them air dry.
- Fill with silk flowers or whatever your heart desires. If you decide to use cut flowers…just put a paper cup filled with water into the jar to prevent the paint from coming off.
And that’s it! FINALLY I have conquered the painted mason jars to my satisfaction.
I THINK I can move on now. ;-)
What follows is basically a BUNCH of photos….because I couldn’t decide on just one or two. I think I had as much fun PHOTOGRAPHING these as I did PAINTING them. I’m really starting to enjoy the taking pictures thing….something I NEVER thought would happen. Will miracles never cease???