Shabby Chic “Rag” Valance

After a particularly STRESSFUL day (being on TV is harder than it looks!!)…I was feeling a bit drained this afternoon and not at all inspired about what to do today’s post on. I was really thinking some sort of craft because I find crafting to be very relaxing and therapeutic! But only if it’s SIMPLE. If it’s NOT simple..then for me, it’s really the OPPOSITE of both of those things! :-)

Well, it must have been my lucky day because I found the PERFECT craft!  Low stress…BIG pay-off! I’m calling it my Shabby Chic “Rag” Valance…even though it’s hardly made from RAGS.

A month or so ago…I ordered a “Jelly Roll” from FatQuarterShop.com.  I didn’t even know what a “jelly roll” WAS until I made my first ever Flannel Rag Quilt back in March. It’s basically a roll of 40 strips of different colored and patterned fabrics that are all coordinated. Each strip measures 2 1/2″ x 45″. Since then I’ve even learned what a “fat quarter” is too! lol.  Funny quilting/sewing terms.

Anyway, the idea I had for the “jelly roll” didn’t pan out…so I was left with ALL these strips of beautiful fabric and nothing to do with them! I’ve been racking my brain for weeks now…but nothin’.  UNTIL TODAY!  Today the lightbulb finally went on and I created THIS!

As you can see….it’s basically strips of fabric tied to an expandable curtain rod….but I love how it turned out!  I ADORE the colors and patterns of the fabric (it comes from Joanna Figueroa’s “California Girl” collection), and how when they’re all put together it looks so fresh and airy! I actually wasn’t expecting to like it as much as I do….so now I have the dilemma of needing to get MORE “jelly rolls” for the two OTHER windows in my kitchen bay.

The only thing I did that involved any concentrated effort was laying out all the different patterns in different colors and picking and choosing an “order” I wanted them go in. I didn’t want to get done and realize I’d put like 8 GREEN colored strips in a row. :-)

After I had my fabric strips in the order I wanted them to go….it was just a matter of tying them on!

Here are a few photos of the simple process:

Repeat until done.

So even though my “RAG” valance isn’t made from “rags”….I’m sure it COULD be! Or any sort of fabric scraps you happen to have lying around. I will definitely be doing more of these. Maybe the next time I have to be on TV. ;-)

Share on Facebook213Tweet about this on Twitter3Pin on Pinterest50,256Google+1

Comments

1. RachelJL says

How will you wash it? I was excited about the idea until I thought of that: me, with my allergies. :( Not that I have somewhere to put one at the moment anyway, lol.

• Deebi27 says

Simply put, but you might call it wasteful…Dimple has a great idea for washing…read down a little bit!

This can be a wise blog site. I imply it. You’ve got a lot information about this cerocnn, and so much passion. You also know how to make men and women rally behind it, obviously through the responses. Youve got a style right here thats not also flashy, but tends to make a statement as massive as what youre stating. Wonderful career, in fact.

• JP says

Why couldn’t you use crepe paper streamer cut to length? Rolls of party streamers come in lots of colors and are inexpensive enough that you won’t mind just throwing it away. Plus it has fabric like flow to it!

2. Pam says

Sooo sweet. Love it. Grandma taught me to make rag rugs YEARS ago, will pair beautifully together.

Really pretty, except for the washing part. I couldn’t throw it away very easily! I noticed the strips were pinked, maybe that would help…or swishing gently in a basin of soapy water…

The strips could also be attached with a macrame start. Lark’s head, I think it’s called: Fold the strip in half, hold the two ends on one side of the bar and the loop on the other, and pull the ends over the bar and through the loop, then tighten. Hmm, now I’m thinking about a macrame lace!

4. Deebi27 says

Love this idea…this would help you feel like a cool spring breeze even in the SUMMER!

1. […] Rag valance: this smart window covering is made from strips of fabric that have been simply tied to an expandable curtain rod. The gorgeous colours and patterns are from Joanna Figueroa’s California Girl collection so can hardly be said to be rags, but you could certainly recreate the same with any leftover strips of fabric for an unusual, original window covering. Source: One Good Thing by Jillee […]