Homemade {Gluten Free} Graham Crackers

gluten free graham crackers

Last week I posted about DIY Fire Starters and our “s’mores by the fire” night! Mmmm….I had forgotten how much I LIKE s’mores!

It’s been a few years since we’ve had them because I’ve always felt it wouldn’t be fair to No. 2 Son who has to eat a gluten-free diet. Darn graham crackers! It’s really hard to have a s’more without them!

Well, since I was bound and determined to make some s’mores for my Fire Starters post…I decided it was time to figure out a gluten-free alternative so we could ALL enjoy this family tradition once again.

I looked at LOTS of recipes online and decided to go with a hybrid of sorts that I gleaned from a recipe I found at Gluten Free Girl and another recipe at Living Without.

I am a definite novice at this GF baking stuff….but I am THRILLED to report that No. 2 son AND everyone else loved the graham crackers! As he is with most new GF stuff I make…my son was reticent about trying them. Then I wasn’t sure he even liked them because he seemed bored with the whole experience (of course he IS 16…and that’s about par for the course). But I’ve since been assured he liked them….a lot…because he keeps asking me to make more. :-)

Homemade {Gluten Free} Graham Crackers
adapted from Gluten Free Girl and Living Without

2 ¼ cups Pamela’s Gluten Free Baking Mix
½ cup packed brown sugar
1¾ teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
½ teaspoon xanthan gum (I actually purchased some of this for this recipe and forgot to add it! The crackers still turned out fine!)
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
7 tablespoons butter or margarine, cut into pieces
3 tablespoons cold water
3 tablespoons honey or agave
1 teaspoon vanilla

graham crackers

1. Combine the dry ingredients and mix until well combined.

2. Cut the cold butter into small pieces. Using your fingertips, work butter into dry ingredients. The mixture should have a coarse, sandy texture. (You could pull out the food processor for this step, but I thought this was easier than doing that!)

graham crackers

3. Stir in 3 tablespoons cold water, honey and vanilla. If dough is too dry, add a little more cold water, a teaspoon at a time.

4. Gather dough into a soft ball. Cover in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 15 to 30 minutes.

5. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Lightly grease a cookie sheet and line with parchment paper. (I was out of parchment paper, so I used foil.)

gluten free graham crackers

6. Cut the ball of dough in half. Return one half to the refrigerator. Cut the edges off a gallon sized ziploc bag. Roll the piece of dough between the two sheets to about 1/4-inch thickness. Remove the top sheet of plastic and flip the remaining piece of dough over, rolled side down, onto the cookie sheet.

gluten free graham crackers

7. With a pizza cutter, cut into 2 x 3-inch pieces and prick lightly all over with a fork. Sprinkle cinnamon sugar over the top (optional…but yummy!) (You’ll have ragged round pieces on the edges. Leave them on. They’ll make great scraps for graham cracker crusts.)

8. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. If cookies spread and bake together, re-cut while still warm and loosen them. Let cookies cool slightly before transferring to cooling rack.

Repeat with the second half of the dough ball.

Make s’mores!

gluten free graham crackers

Share on Facebook275Tweet about this on Twitter4Pin on Pinterest6,970Google+0

Comments

Thank you, thank you, thank you!! I’m sure you already know this, but EnjoyLife! makes *awesome* dark chocolate bars that are both GF and DF. They’re called BoomChocoBoom, and they’ll go with the s’mores perfectly! :D

2. Gina says

Thank you so much! I haven’t had a s’more since I don’t know when. I’m looking forward to trying this recipie.

3. Heather says

I’ve been following your site for sometime now and I love it! Now you have a gluten free recipie?! Thank you! I have celiac disease and these are awesome! Thanks again!

You are welcome Heather. :-) My son has Celiac’s too and graham crackers is one of those things we’ve really missed! Hope you like!

4. Wendy says

Oh joy! At last Graham crackers! S’mores, cheesecake, layered pudding, eclair cake…oh life has suddenly become so much brighter for us gluten free people! THANK YOU THANK YOU!

5. Kimmy says

Okay…while I dearly LOVE your blog and all your ideas and recipes…follow all of them. I just want to comment about your picture above. You do realize you have your regular graham crackers sitting on the same plate and actually touching your gluten free graham crackers right? For anyone that’s Celiac that’s a major major no no. I don’t know how sensitive your son is…but cross contamination is a huge issue for most severely gluten intolerant folks. Okay…love this recipe by the way…and will try making it for sure! We are also allergic to gluten, dairy, and eggs…but I’m thinking I *MIGHT* be able to substitute coconut oil? Hopefully!!! Okay thank you for the recipe!! Love your site!!

I think it’s hot enough here today that I could just set the marshmallow outside to heat it and not even need a fire. I’ve been pondering making graham crackers lately, since my daughter is a big fan. They don’t need to be gluten-free, but this recipe does look tasty…

Just found your site via Gretchen from Veggie Grettie- such great tips and recipes here…can’t wait for updates- subscribing now!

8. kitara says

Just…THANK YOU \(^ ^)/THANK YOU!! I’ve been looking for a gluten free recipe for so long!! now I can do it

9. Jocelyn Pethtel says

Okay, I learned my lesson. Anything I am in need of anything I need to know can be found here. I have found many useful things on your website, so i finally subscribed. :) I was tired of spending $5.49 for a tiny box of graham crackers my 2 year old (i like to send them with her to nursery at church so she doesn’t feel left out when everyone else is getting them), so I decided to google recipes. Your site was the first to pop up and am I ever grateful. Will be cooking up a batch of these most likely tomorrow so that I don’t have to pay that outrageous price anymore. :) Thank you.