Sunday, June 3, 2012

How To Make Homemade Sunscreen

homemade sunscreen The first sunburns of the season have begun showing up at my house this week! My daughter’s boyfriend Neil was sporting a DOOZY of a sunburn Friday afternoon after attending an outdoor concert SANS SUNSCREEN, and No. 1 son Erik helped a friend dig fence posts on Friday SANS SUNSCREEN and ended up looking slightly lobster-like! *sigh*

Homemade or store-bought…you have to put the sunscreen ON boys! :-)

This reminded me of the growing number of requests I have been getting lately for a natural alternative to store-bought sunscreen. I have to admit I never really gave it much thought before this, but after reading about what is in some sunscreens, I figured a “natural” homemade alternative sounded pretty good (not to mention WAY less expensive.)

Studies show that many sunscreen ingredients (avobenzone, octyl methoxycinnamate, and oxybenzone to name a few) have toxic properties that are absorbed through the skin and end up circulating in your bloodstream. These are called chemical barrier sunscreens.

homemade sunscreen The ingredients in PHYSICAL barrier sunscreens, on the other hand, are zinc oxide and/or titanium oxide.

These types of sunscreens are considered the safest sunscreens to use, especially when combined with ingredients like the ones in this recipe I found on MakeupAlley.com.

The person who posted it lives in Hawaii and said a lot of surfers there make their own sunscreen similar to this recipe, and she adds that she’s never been burned while using it.

1/4 cup Diaper Rash Cream (I used Desitin Maximum Strength)
1 tablespoon Coconut Oil
1 tablespoon Cocoa Butter
1 tablespoon Aloe Vera Gel
1 teaspoon Sesame Oil
1 teaspoon Beeswax
5-10 drops Lavender Essential Oil (optional)

Put all the ingredients in a glass bowl set on top of a pan of boiling water and melt all the ingredients together. Allow mixture to cool and then add your favorite essential oil (if desired).  Just make sure to avoid any of the CITRUS essential oils as they can actually cause burning. Store in a cool, dry place or in the fridge.

This recipe has an SPF of about 30. Once you know the percentage of zinc oxide in the diaper rash cream you use, you can estimate the SPF. For example, the Desitin Maximum Strength I used has 40% zinc oxide which would be an SPF of 60…but since it’s diluted by half with the other ingredients I would says the SPF is approximately 30.

homemade sunscreen

This recipe made the perfect amount to fill one of these travel size bottles you can buy at the grocery store.

homemade sunscreen

My daughter-in-law Kaitlyn and I tested it out this afternoon and were both really pleased with it!

homemade sunscreen

It rubbed in easily, felt moisturizing but not greasy, smelled good, and even gave our skin a little bit of a “glow” which we both commented on and liked! Just a little beauty bonus. :-) Since it contains Beeswax it should be fairly water resistant as well. But be sure and re-apply after swimming or  every 2 hours.

A couple more things I thought were worth mentioning here about sunscreen:

• a common mistake people make is applying too LITTLE sunscreen, which can drastically reduce its’ effective SPF. About 1 ounce (5-6 teaspoons) of sunscreen is recommended to cover the entire body.
  • sunscreen should be applied at least 30 minutes before going outdoors.

Hopefully now you are more informed and better prepared to naturally protect yourself from harmful sunburns this summer.

Never miss a good thing!
Receive a daily dose of Jillee + bonus newsletters.

120 thoughts on “How To Make Homemade Sunscreen

1. Tamsyn

I’m curious about the SPF of this recipe, as currently my family (DH, 2 DS’s and myself) all require SPF50+ due to fair and sensitive skin (my youngest DS has Ichthyosis and needs lots of creams and lotions for his dry skin). I would like to be able to compare.

2. Ayshela

I haven’t had kids of age to need diaper cream in decades, so I can’t just look at a label… what’s IN Desitin? Does it have any of the parabens that cause problems for those of us with chronic health issues?

1. Ayshela

mmm. may be more expensive than Desitin, but cheaper than a trip to the doctor. I wonder if a paraben free diaper cream would work, as long as it had the zinc oxide in it?

1. Kathleen

I made a sunscreen similar to this, and it is fabulous, my only gripe is that for the amount you get and the cost of good carrot seed and red raspberry seed oil plus the other goodies, it’s not exactly what I would call frugal. Still a lovely mixture though. :)

3. Pingback: How to Make Homemade Sunscreen

1. Denise

From what I understand you have to be very careful with zinc oxide powder. You should wear a mask when mixing so you don’t inhale it.

4. Lelah

I have seen recipes that call for titanium oxide, instead of Desitin, so maybe people could try that if they are wary of using the chemicals in the diaper cream. Though I have to say that stuff is awesome for diaper rashes. ;)

Oh, and yes – get sunscreen on those boys! Or they will end up like my hubby who really dodged a bullet by catching his melanoma early (at age 36)! He “only” has two NASTY scars on his back. And ONLY has to see his doctor 4x a year for a full-body mole check.

1. April

I second that Lelah, I was only 31 when mine was found, and also caught early, so I only have 1 nasty scar on my chest (s0 far… my doc said I’d likely have more as the years go by, I’m hoping that the pale, frankenstein-y look becomes fashionable in the future lol, and if not, well, hey, alive is always more stylish than dead, right?…so I’ll be thankful for every scar if that means I’m still around to slather the sunscreen on my son year after year!). I think that alot of people associate melanoma with tanning bed use or only with much older people who have had years of sun exposure, but more and more that’s not the case. The scariest statistic that I’ve heard since all this started is that one blistering sunburn in childhood doubles the chance for melanoma, as does 5 or more sunburns of any degree at any age in life! yikes, right? Geesh, I can’t even count how many I’ve had, especially when I was a teenager… so anyway, If I don’t stop I’ll go on forever about this and start spitting out lots more stats and rising death rates, and so on and so on… (seriously.. I will… ask my family… the last time my sister mentioned she got burned, I asked her if I needed to drive to her house and actually put the sunscreen on her! lol)… ok, so back to the actual topic here… sunscreen = good…. sunscreen without scary chemicals = even better! (just use alot and make sure its provides a high enough spf!) :)

5. Lynn

I would love to try this but since I have super fair skin, I am worried about the spf too. Does anyone know how to calculate what it would be based on the ingredients?

6. Jillee Post author

I completely forgot to add the information about the SPF to the post! My bad! I have updated the post with this information:

This recipe has an SPF of about 30. Once you know the percentage of zinc oxide in the diaper rash cream you use, you can estimate the SPF. For example, the Desitin Maximum Strength I used has 40% zinc oxide which would be an SPF of 60…but since it’s diluted by half with the other ingredients I would says the SPF is approximately 30.

Hope this helps!

1. Lynn

Thanks! Definitely going to make this one! I go through too much sunscreen and would love to save money where ever I can! Thanks again!

1. Jamie

As a nurse and mom I wanted to read the research article but you must have a membership to read it, very aggravating when trying to figure something out. My main question on the study is why lung cells and how much zinc oxide did the researcher use in each sample. That is a news article and they will take the snip its to fit to their article. The researcher states this:
      “Ma’s research on zinc oxide’s effect on cells is still in the early stages, so he cautions people from drawing conclusions about the safety or dangers of sunscreen based on this preliminary research.

“More extensive study is still needed,” May says. “This is just the first step.”

In the meantime, Ma advises sunbathers to use sunscreen and to limit their exposure to the sun.

Just wanted to through two cents in. I will make this for my kids because they have allergic reactions to everything else.

7. Katie B. of HousewifeHowTos.com

Wonderful! My son and his friend went to the pool yesterday for the first time all season. I slathered him with sunscreen, and when he got home he was covered in what looked like 2nd degree blisters, and they hurt him terribly. Needless to say, I was furious thinking that the sunscreen hadn’t worked. (They were only there for 2 hours, and it was supposedly waterproof.)

Turns out, he’d had an allergic reaction to this particular brand of sunscreen. As soon as he’d showered, the “blisters” started to fade. Thank goodness I figured out what was going on so I could give him some Benadryl and stop the reaction. I’m going to make this homemade version this week rather than risk that happening again. Thanks!

8. Hollie Rollins

Hi Jillee

Do you just double/triple the ingredients to make a larger batch- we are headed to the beach and will use alot. Thanks for your awesome blog!

1. Jillee Post author

Lots of people are allergic to coconut oil….not lame. :-) Any other carrier oil should work. Olive oil (like Vivienne suggested), almond oil, jojoba oil, etc.

9. Vivienne Grainger

Thanks so much for this recipe. I did want to let people know that they might wish to skip using floral essential oils if they are going to be in a park or rural setting, as those oils are an absolute magnet for bees. I’ve only been stung twice in my life, and both times, I was wearing essential oils when it happened.

Oils derived from leaves might be safe, but I haven’t researched it, having no wish to be stung again!

Heatherfish: olive oil? And no allergy is “ridiculous.” I’ve now got one to bee stings …

1. Sharada

Vivienne thank you for that I would have never thought about it until I got stung and ended up in the ER –LOL I am allergic to bees and so is my 16 year old daughter. SOmetimes we just do things without thinking–LOL I know I am very much a blonde and I love it :)

10. kim

I’ve been wondering about DIY sunscreen. The store bought stuff is so darned expensive! I realize you’re going for all homemade/natural here, but to simplify it couldn’t you just mix zinc oxide or Desitin with hand/body cream and call it a day? I guess you’d have to add the beeswax if you wanted it to be waterproof….

11. Pingback: How To Make Homemade Sunscreen | One Good Thing by Jillee « TheBrabbleRabble

1. Jill Klasen

SUNSCREEN

4 oz. Sweet Almond Oil
        2 drops Helechrysum
        8 drops lavender
        4 drops Frankincense
        1 drop Peppermint
        1-2 capsule Sulfurzyme

1. Leslie

Thanks for the post, but unfortunately there may be a few people reading these comments who cannot afford the items listed or do not have a health food store nearby. What are the alternatives?

1. Jill Klasen

SUNSCREEN

4 oz. Sweet Almond Oil
        2 drops Helechrysum Essential Oil
        8 drops lavender Essential Oil
        4 drops Frankincense Essential Oil
        1 drop Peppermint Essential Oil
        1-2 capsule Sulfurzyme

These are available from Young Living.

jklasen@albanytel.com
        Let me know if you have questions! THANKS!
        Jill

1. Jill Klasen

Natural SUNSCREEN using
        Essential Oils from Young Living

4 oz. Sweet Almond Oil
        2 drops Helechrysum Essential Oil
        8 drops lavender Essential Oil
        4 drops Frankincense Essential Oil
        1 drop Peppermint Essential Oil
        1-2 capsule Sulfurzyme

These are available from Young Living.

jklasen@albanytel.com
        Let me know if you have questions! THANKS!
        Jill

2. Jill Klasen

All-Natural Essential Oil SUNSCREEN

4 oz. Sweet Almond Oil
        2 drops Helechrysum Essential Oil
        8 drops lavender Essential Oil
        4 drops Frankincense Essential Oil
        1 drop Peppermint Essential Oil
        1-2 capsule Sulfurzyme

These are available from Young Living.

jklasen@albanytel.com
        Let me know if you have questions! THANKS!
        Jill

3. Jill Klasen

Make your own Essential Oil Suncreen! ALL NATURAL!

SUNSCREEN

4 oz. Sweet Almond Oil
        2 drops Helechrysum Essential Oil
        8 drops lavender Essential Oil
        4 drops Frankincense Essential Oil
        1 drop Peppermint Essential Oil
        1-2 capsule Sulfurzyme

These are available from Young Living.

jklasen@albanytel.com
        Let me know if you have questions! THANKS!
        Jill

4. Jill Klasen

DIY Essential Oil SUNSCREEN

4 oz. Sweet Almond Oil
        2 drops Helechrysum Essential Oil
        8 drops lavender Essential Oil
        4 drops Frankincense Essential Oil
        1 drop Peppermint Essential Oil
        1-2 capsule Sulfurzyme

These are available from Young Living.

jklasen@albanytel.com
        Let me know if you have questions! THANKS!
        Jill

1. Jill Klasen

Essential Oil SUNSCREEN

4 oz. Sweet Almond Oil
      2 drops Helechrysum Essential Oil
      8 drops lavender Essential Oil
      4 drops Frankincense Essential Oil
      1 drop Peppermint Essential Oil
      1-2 capsule Sulfurzyme

These are available from Young Living.

jklasen@albanytel.com
      Let me know if you have questions! THANKS!
      Jill

1. Jill Klasen

All-Natural SUNSCREEN

4 oz. Sweet Almond Oil
      2 drops Helechrysum Essential Oil
      8 drops lavender Essential Oil
      4 drops Frankincense Essential Oil
      1 drop Peppermint Essential Oil
      1-2 capsule Sulfurzyme

These are available from Young Living.

jklasen@albanytel.com
      Let me know if you have questions! THANKS!
      Jill

1. Jill Klasen

All- Natural SUNSCREEN using Essential Oils

4 oz. Sweet Almond Oil
      2 drops Helechrysum Essential Oil
      8 drops lavender Essential Oil
      4 drops Frankincense Essential Oil
      1 drop Peppermint Essential Oil
      1-2 capsule Sulfurzyme

These are available from Young Living.

jklasen@albanytel.com
      Let me know if you have questions! THANKS!
      Jill

12. Danielle

I agree with Jill above on the desitin, it is not good at all. The zinc oxide can be found in other products without all of the other chemicals. Also as far the essential oils go, the lavender isn’t going to provide you with any properties that aid in protection from the sun, it works well as an alternative to the after sun lotions or gels that are out there and does an excellent job on sunburns, but since we are trying to stay away from the sunburns with this wonderful homemade product I would reccomend Helichrysum Italicum essential oil as this does have sun protection properties and is very nurishing to the skin as well.

13. Jenn

Actually, the putting on sunscreen 30 minutes before you go out rule only applies to chemical sunscreens, which need that time to absorb into your skin. Barrier sunscreens create an immediate barrier to the sun and can be applied at any time. And there’s lots of places you can buy Zinc Oxide online that doesn’t have nano particles and is probably cheaper then buying diaper rash cream. This is one which doesn’t contain nano particles: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005VEDY1C/?ref=as_li_ss_tl&camp=1789&creative=390957&ie=UTF8

1. Lynn

She stated about 30. She did not give any indication that this was exact. I asked the question about the SPF and was quite satisfied with her reply. It was not a medical question to begin with….

1. Alex

Unfortunately, just about all cosmetics, soaps, etc are NOT FDA approved. We are misled to believe in their safety when in reality those products are independently tested or not tested at all. It’s important to read labels and research ingredients. All natural/homemade is definitely an excellent option.

2. Tiffany

The FDA doesn’t approve of Vitamin C but they do approve of aspartame. FDA approval isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. Aside from that, she didn’t make any medical claims. Estimating the SPF level is not a medical claim. Not even close.

1. Jen S.

I was going to ask about other e.oils too. Like Tea Tree to help add insect deterrent to it but I would be using it on my 2 & 4 yo children so unsure which e.oils would be best to add.

2. Jill Klasen

Purification is a wonderful blean of essential oils that works amazing as a DIY Bugspray! We use it all weekend and no bug bites! Love the smelll too! My kids don’t go to bed stinky :-)

14. Darlene in North GA

You can buy a tube of just plain zinc oxide cream at Walmart (at least I did when I lived in FL). Most pharmacies should carry it. It’s a cream in a tube and all of the lifeguards I knew used it. It’s the white “gunk” they plastered on their noses. They would have completely white noses and ears to keep the sun off of those parts as those places are the first to burn and the hardest to remove any growths on due to not much underlying skin. hth

15. Rachel Loveridge

More on zinc oxide, just FYI, from the same article that Alma posted above:

—Ma’s research on zinc oxide’s effect on cells is still in the early stages, so he cautions people from drawing conclusions about the safety or dangers of sunscreen based on this preliminary research.

For instance, Ma plans to conduct electron spin resonance tests to see whether zinc oxide truly does generate free radicals, as he suspects. In addition, clinical trials will be needed before any conclusive evidence may be drawn from his studies.

“I still would advise people to wear sunscreen,” he says. “Sunscreen is better than no protection at all.”—

from http://www.news-medical.net/news/20120508/Zinc-oxide-could-increase-risk-of-skin-cancer.aspx?page=2

16. Jill Klasen

Here is a great Sunburn Spry also!
    DIY SUNBURN SPRAY

2 oz. distilled water
    10 drops lavender
    5 drops peppermint

Mix in spray bottle.
    Store in fridge and spray as necessary.

17. Keisha

Hello, my name is Keisha and I ran across a comment post from a ‘Jill’ who mentioned that she had an all natural recipe for homemade sunscreen and also mentioned that if anyone wanted the recipe to email her, but I didnt see her email address. Is there any way I could get that recipe Jill???

18. Pingback: Key to STEM: Make your own Sunscreen « Brownie Meeting Ideas

19. deniseinark

It should be noted here that the opinions of the EWG (Environmental Working Group) are not without their own controversy. People or groups whose opinions are obviously in their own interest lack credibility whether they are screaming alarmists or go the other way and say that there is no need for any concern at all. There are people who stand to make money by making us believe their claims, and those people can be found everywhere, even posting comments on blogs.

20. Katherine

I notice that you use lavender essential oil in a lot of things. Could you do a post on essential oils about which ones are skin safe? I know that not all of them are (cinnamon essential oil is definitely not skin safe and when I see people post diy face mask recipes with it as an ingredient, I just shake my head). Basically anything that is skin safe won’t cause tingling or burning, like menthol commonly does. “Tingling” doesn’t mean its working people!

Also the reason why you don’t want to use citrus essential oils is because they cause phototoxicity.

21. Honey

The sunblock you made needs to be left on the surface of the skin as a coating, not rubbed right in like a traditional sunscreen. I used a natural sunblock pretty similar to what your recipe is and got a terrible burn. My kids also detested the lavender essential oil in the sunblock, as did my niece (she would cry when she saw her mum with the bottle). It was a very expensive summer, that stuff was $25/bottle!
    Cancer agents or not, I’m back to my Neutrogena spf100.

22. Pingback: ETSIS - Midweek Roundup: 6/6/12 | ETSIS

23. Pingback: “It’s Tea Time” for Sunburn Relief | One Good Thing by Jillee

24. Lona

Well Desitin had been used on babies as long as I can remember. I don’t recall any stories about it causing problems. I remember that the lifeguards at the pool would have it on their nose. Sometimes the stuff came in colors. I don’t think Jillee is shoving this recipe on anyone. Use what you want but it’s pretty rude to spam her blog like that. Keep up the good work Jillee! You have come up with some of the greatest time and money saving ideas that I have ever heard of and I’m in my sixties.

25. Alex S

@Jill Klassen I did a little math here on your recipe as well as some research on the ingredients . In order for me to make a few ounces of some potion based on a person’s recommendation whom I’ve never heard of before, (other than a storm of posts in reply to Jillee’s), I would need to invest $328.05 to start:

4 oz. Sweet Almond Oil $6
    2 drops Helechrysum Essential Oil-$103.62
    8 drops lavender Essential Oil $28.62
    4 drops Frankincense Essential Oil $91.78
    1 drop Peppermint Essential Oil $25.99
    1-2 capsule Sulfurzyme $72.04
    Total: $328.05
    (All prices are from Young Living for the exception of Almond Oil). Additionally, and most importantly neither of the ingredients listed are described as having UVA/UVB blocking or absorbing properties. How do you suggest your so enticingly sounding “all natural” sunscreen will protect my child or myself from sunburn? Especially if Helechrysum should be “avoided using on infants and very small children” ? I would agree that infants shouldn’t be in the sun at all, but what age do they considered very small children to be??? 6 months? 1 year? 3 year olds?
    Readers, before you waste hundreds of dollars on a bunch of oils that will not protect you or your child from sunburn, and maybe toxic to small children, please consider using products that are FDA approved and have been scientifically proven to protect from harmful rays, like Zinc Oxide. On the other hand, there is not one conclusive study out there that states that Zinc Oxide should not be used at all in sun screens.

Sorry for the long post-just my 2 cents

1. Tessa

Helechrysum Essential Oil:” Research shows that a 3 to 6 percent dilution of an extract of Helichrysum, sometimes called immortelle, makes an effective sunscreen”

Peppermint Oil: “peppermint oil had the highest sun protection factor or SPF of the essential oils studied.”

Lavander Oil: “You can use Lavender essential oil for sunburns to ease the pain and heal faster.”

Almond Oil: “The March 2007 issue of the “Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology” reports a study that states that applying almond oil to the skin will not only protect it, but can also reverse damage that may have already occurred. ”

Frankincense: i found that it was good for sun spots and used in a lot of organic sun screens.

Sulfurzyme: Is actually very good for joints. Helps arthritis and many other joint problems. I didn’t to do much research with what it does with the sun, but I do know it helps your skin.

All of these oils are very good for you, although expensive, will give you health. If you don’t want to make your own sunscreen there are a lot of organic alternative sunscreens with these essential oils in them. It will be way less expensive and beneficial to your health.

I urge you to look into the FDA more, they are not good. I would try to stay away from anything they say is good and go towards anything they don’t like. Usually the reason why they don’t like things is only because they can’t make money off of it.

1. Jill

I had five friends go in together. A few of the basic oils we all had, like peppermint, lavender and frankenscense. It cost us each $28.00 each and will have enough for the entire summer!

1. Jill

Also, you are posting retail pricing. Most Young Living customers are considers distributors and you then buy the products at wholesale pricing. I would NOT pay over $300 for sunscreen either. Just saying.

1. Jen K.

these are solutions for people with lots of money. i dont know about anyone else, but i dont have 28 bucks to buy sunscreen! i thought the point was more for frugality than anything. i like being able to whip up things with stuff i already have. even if i could get all of those ingredients for $50, i wouldnt because it is completely impractical. and why is desitin so dangerous anyway? i put it on my babys bottom for 2 years and she seems to be just fine.

26. Gwyn

I have seen zinc oxide cream. Unfortunately I don’t remember where but it does exist and I believe it was just straight zinc oxide, though something made it cream…but it wasn’t a diaper cream necessarily, maybe that would help.

27. Gwyn

I use and love Young Living oils as well but I have to say as soon as I saw the recipe posted I knew it was far too expensive to make to be anything I could swing or practical for most. Helliacrisim oil has many uses that I would really like to explore, before sun block actually but it’s very expensive. I have no doubt the recipe offered works and smells wonderful but I am far more able to try the one posted originally. I think you can find just zinc oxide cream without the additives of diaper creams too. I have come across some other natural sun screens both that you digest and that can be applied but unfortunately can’t remember what they are. I don’t like the slimy feel of many sunscreens which is the problem with many barrier types for me that don’t absorb well so I’m hoping that this one isn’t like that and doesn’t have to work that way. Thank you for sharing your ideas this looks like a weath of great ideas and information. Can’t wait to explore it some more.

1. Jill

I felt the same regarding making the sunscreen using the YL products. BUT I got a few oil friends together and we all split it. It ended up costing us each $28 and we all have enough to make sunscreen for the entire summer. I even made a sunscreen stick by adapting the recipe a little! Let me know if you want the recipe.

28. Rebecca

Does anyone know how a lanolin-based product would do when converted into a homemade sunscreen? I don’t have much experience with Desitin ( not that I have anything at all against the product or its ingredients! ), but I do have experience with using Corona Cream (ingredients below) for a diaper rash. It was made for the udders of cows and horses to help sooth suckle rash ( chapping ) and keep the teats from drying out and cracking painfully. Following my first use of that, I never bought another tube of Desitin for anything! Extremely severe diaper rash – gone in one use and never came back when used as a protectant!!

Corona Cream Ointment Ingredients –
    Active Ingredient:
    30% Lanolin.

Inactive Ingredients:
    Beeswax (yellow wax), Disodium EDTA, Fragrance, Lanolin Alcohol, Mineral Oil, Oxyquinoline, Petrolatum, Purified Water, Sodium Borate, Sorbitan Sesquioleate

Also:

Corona Udder Butter Ingredients –
    Active Ingredient: Petrolatum 68%

Also contains: Castor Oil, Emulsifier, Fragrance, lanolin, Neatsfoot Oil, and Oxyquinoline

I am a redhead, and I am incredibly pale; I sunburn so very easily and find it — first — an affront that sunscreen ( to assist with my health ) is so expensive, and — second — frustrating having to find a good SPF 9,000 to use. ( Of course I jest, but it sometimes feels like it’s that strong! )

29. Gwyn

I think it’s the zinc oxide in the diaper rash cream that is the key ingredient for the sun screen. At least that’s the way I am understanding it. So the one you mentioned would probably be fine to includ but wouldn’t be a substation for the zinc oxide. I believe you can find straight zinc oxide though in cream form that might not have the other ingredients you are trying to avoid. Mind younI am not an expert though.

1. Gwyn

Sorry that was a reply to Rebecca. Not sure why it doesn’t show up that way when I hit reply in others posts… I’m just not fluent with this blogging and posting…

30. Pingback: Assorted Tales from Ocean City, MD (And How I Conquered the Fires of Mount Doom) « Mother Nature's Maid

31. Pingback: Top 5 Homemade Sunscreen Recipes | DIY Natural Sunscreen Recipes

32. si

The #1 non-active ingredient in Desitin is BHA, and it is BANNED in Europe. Drugstore dot com has the ingredients list. You can then google BHA banned.

33. Mrs. P

Instead of using a commercially made diaper rash ointment, I would recommend purchasing a bag of zinc oxide. You can buy it online and it’s fairly inexpensive, a little goes a long way. I use 3 tblsp in my recipe, which is similar to this one. It’s non-toxic, but you want to make sure not to breathe in the powder. It’s worked great for my 4 kids all summer!

34. Pingback: Good For You: Sunscreen, the unlikely villain « Natural Body and Mind

35. Pingback: A Round-Up of 5 Homemade Sunscreen Recipes & More Safe Sun Posts | The Humbled Homemaker

36. Chelsea

Can someone explain the purpose of the beeswax in this recipe? Is it an emulsifier, moisturizer or helps with water proofing? It’s not easily accessible or cheap where I live so I’m hoping I can jut omit it. Thanks :)

37. Pam

Hi there! I just made a batch and was wondering….what part smells good? :) I doubled the lavender EO and i still smell the desitin…..oh well, if it works, i can probably handle the smell….