“It’s Tea Time” for Sunburn Relief

Will-Ferrell-sunburn

I recently posted about how to make your own Homemade Sunscreen. I still stand by the “recipe” despite the mini firestorm of comments it spawned. :-)

One of the comments to this post included a DIY Sunburn Spray made from essential oils which I thought was a brilliant idea.

Because let’s face it, despite our best efforts, sometimes we are just going to BLOW IT and get a doozie of a sunburn.

(But hopefully not as bad as Will Ferrell’s!)

Here is Jill K.’s recipe:
DIY SUNBURN SPRAY
2 oz. distilled water
10 drops lavender essential oil
5 drops peppermint essential oil
Mix in spray bottle.
Store in fridge and spray as necessary.

While I haven’t tried this recipe exactly…I have used Lavender Oil on many burns and stings and it works WONDERS!

But if you don’t happen to have any essential oils on hand or you’re on vacation, I recently discovered another Sunburn Pain Remedy on Instructables.com that should I need it (Heaven forbid!), I plan on trying, because it comes VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED by many people who HAVE tried it…and all you need are a few tea bags!

STEP ONE: git nekkid! The best way to apply this is “in the buff” so you don’t have to worry about getting it on your clothes.

Hmmmm….Maybe that should actually be STEP TWO…or THREE. Let me start over.

Photograph: Tom Grill/Getty

STEP ONE (again): Fill a pitcher with warm water and drop in three bags of BLACK TEA. The tannic acid and theobromine in black tea helps remove heat from sunburn. Other compounds in tea, called catechins, help prevent and repair skin damage.
Let the tea bags soak until the water has turned a rich, dark black color. Let the tea mixture cool to a lukewarm temperature.

NOW you can git nekkid! :-)

©Emre Arican/Shutterstock

STEP TWO:  Once you are “nekkid”…dip a soft rag into the tea and dab it gently onto the sunburn. DO NOT WIPE OFF! Let your burned skin absorb the mixture. Once its dry, re-apply as necessary, but don’t wash off.
Just before bedtime is the ideal time to try this healing potion so it has time to work its magic while you sleep. In the morning wash it off in the shower. The sunburn should be significantly better, if not completely gone.
The sooner you can apply the tea after you get the burn, the more effective it will be.

THANKFULLY I haven’t had to try this…and HOPEFULLY I won’t NEED to…but chances are I will…at some point. So I am definitely going to keep this method filed away until it’s inevitably needed.

Coconut-Oil-2

PREVENTING PEELING

One last note: once the pain of a bad sunburn has subsided….to avoid peeling…..Moisturize, Moisturize, Moisturize.

I suggest Aloe Vera LOTION (not the gel…it contains alcohol and is too drying)

OR

My PERSONAL FAVORITECoconut Oil. Apply liberally at least twice a day until the burn is healed.

And after all this is said….

I hope you never have to use ANY of these suggestions this summer!  PRACTICE SAFE SUN!

Share on Facebook325Tweet about this on Twitter8Pin on Pinterest3,987Google+2

Comments

1. Lisa Graves says

When you are talking about coconut oil, is that the coconut oil that you cook with?

2. deniseinark says

Love the tea recipe – we’re headed to the lake today and I’m making this concoction to throw in the ice chest. I have mint going insane in the garden, so I’ll brew it with the tea. Several other things I’ve heard over the years are chamomile and vinegar (along with an oatmeal bath) so I might toss some of those in for good measure. Best thing that could happen with this recipe is to NEVER need it….

3. Kristy Jevens says

Lavender has always been our favorite remedy for any kind of burn. It also is great for stopping the itching of mosquito bites.
    Hopefully we won’t ever need to use the black tea recipe, but it is nice to know about. I have a very fair teenage boy who hasn’t learned the value of sunscreen yet, this may save him once or twice this summer.

4. Kimmer says

My favorite sunburn remedy (and I burn just thinking about the sun) is white vinegar. I saturate a washcloth with cooled vinegar and just let it soak in on the burn area. Ahhhhhhhh.

5. Nicole says

My favorite all natural burn remedy is aloe. Not the fake green gel stuff you buy in stores, but actual aloe. You just cut off a piece of the plant, slice it open, squeeze out the ‘goo’ inside and rub it on your burn. It feels amazing. Of course, this works best for small areas. For big sunburns, the tea method is definitely something I’m going to have to try!

6. Jill says

Thanks for posting this Jillee! Happy to see! If you’re interested in a natural bug spray recipe, I have one also :-) Love your blog!

7. Stephanie says

It’s not all-natural, but the BEST sunburn relief I’ve ever found is Mint Milk of Magnesia. Just like the tea, you dab it on the burn and leave it. The mint is very soothing and the burn will be nearly (if not completely) gone in the morning. I’ve also used it on nasty kitchen burns (I used to work in a restaurant kitchen, which is where I heard about this remedy).

8. Annie says

Several years ago my aunt told us about the magic of tannin! Her recipe is a little different, and not all natural, but it really does take the sunburn away!! She told us to melt one of the large containers of Vaseline by putting it in a pan with water and heating it on low. Then you steep 6 tea bags (I think we used green) in the melted Vaseline. Once the Vaseline starts to solidify, take the bags out. (We usually scrape off the stuff that sticks to the bag.)

This is amazing stuff! I blistered my cheeks the first day of our Lake Powell trip (oops!), put this stuff on before I went to bed, and woke up with my cheeks almost back to normal (no blisters at all and just a little pink!!). Plus, the Vaseline helps to keep your skin from drying out. I do recommend thoroughly washing the stuff off in the morning.

9. Danielle says

One of my 5 year old boys is very prone to getting sunburned, he has very fair skin and we have to lather him in sunscreen every 2 to 3 hours. For those times that we don’t get enough on him or heaven forbid we forget, I use the water and Lavender, I just have it in a little spray bottle and spritz in on after his bath. It works wonders, I haven’t tried putting the peppermint in but will do that with the next batch. As for myself, I always always get that first burn of the summer, luckily I have good skin and it is usually gone with in a day or two and I am left with a nice looking tan, but there have been many times, as you can attest miss Jillee, that I have fried myself crispy. I am definitely going to keep the tea recipe for when that happens. :-) Thanks miss Jillee you are super awesome!!!!

1. […] a lobster. Ok, a lot like a lobster. So, I went on Pinterest and found this sunburn remedy from One Good Thing by Jillee and it worked! With a little black tea and a couple of sun-free hours, my sunburn was gone! See my […]