Make Your Own Aromatherapy Bubble Bath

After experiencing my first-ever “spa day” this week…I have “pampering” on my mind.

When I first met my masseuse, Elan, she offered me the choice of 6 different aromatherapy oils for use during my massage. I chose the Oolong Tea scent and it was SO wonderful that I ended up buying a bottle of it at an incredibly high price, but it was my anniversary, so I splurged. :-)

When I got home, however, I decided to try my hand at making some of my own aromatherapy recipes, just to prove there’s really no need to spend a fortune on “spa” products, when you can make your own with a few simple ingredients at home.

This recipe for Lavender Aromatherapy Bubble Bath is the perfect example. While you can really use any scent or combination of scents you prefer, since I’m a HUGE fan of lavender, and since it is known for it’s calming and relaxing qualities, I’m sticking with the lavender. (In clinical studies, lavender was incredibly effective at relaxing brain waves, reducing stress and relieving migraines. It ACTUALLY reduced computer errors when used to scent an office!)

homemade bubble bath

Here is all you’ll need to make Lavender Aromatherapy Bubble Bath:

• 1 cup mild shampoo or dish soap (think baby shampoo or Dove dishwashing liquid)

You could also substitute the shampoo with Liquid Castile Soap. It just won’t be quite as “bubbly”.

Glycerin is an humectant that attracts water molecules helping to keep your skin moisturized. It’s also what
aids in the formation of bubbles. You can usually purchase at your local drug store.

Instructions:

Mix together the shampoo, glycerin, and water. If desired, add 10 – 25 drops of essential oil you desire, and mix again. Pour mixture into a bottle or jar that can close tightly. Before use….shake well to mix, then pour into the tub while the water is running.

Making your own aromatherapy recipes is a great way to “pamper” yourself using natural ingredients without harmful chemicals and fillers and WITHOUT the hefty price tag.

Share on Facebook1,699Tweet about this on Twitter210Pin on Pinterest5,365Google+3

Comments

1. jennifer says

Massaged aren’t just luxury. There are so many health benefits from a massage. Pampering is just a small part of a massage session. Primary Benefits of Medical Massage Therapy

*Enhanced blood circulation: Therapy helps to increase blood circulation, healing injuries faster.
    * Minimizes pain: The massage can work wonders when it comes to reducing pain from the injury.
    *Provide relax: Therapy is powerful enough to provide immense relaxation to the muscles adjacent to the injured area.
    *Strength: Therapy provides strength to the body’s muscles that have been weakened due to the injury.
    *Realignment of tissues: Therapy is powerful when it comes to realigning damaged and dislocated tissues, preventing further damage or injury.
    Releases adhesions: This is known as scar tissue that can form due to an injury and stick itself to adjacent muscles or other tissues.
    *Minimizes tension: Therapy is extremely beneficial when it comes to minimizing tension in sprains and other injuries.
    *Performance enhancements: Therapy is the top choice for athletes, enhancing overall sports performance.
    *Stress reduction: We experience stress in our daily lives. Massage therapy alleviates that stress and tension our bodies experience.
    *Rejuvenates body: After all the stress, tension and hard work we face; therapy is recommended to rejuvenate our body; Prepare, Prevent!

I do hope you take all of these benefits into consideration the next time you schedule a massage.

2. Heidi says

I see a lot of natural recipes similar to this one that use baby shampoo. Can anyone tell me why it’s considered better than adult shampoos? I’m sincere – I haven’t seen a bottle of it since I was a kid.

• Misty H says

Baby shampoo is very mild and gentle. Adult shampoos are full of chemicals to make hair shinier, fuller, curlier, whatever. I had a friend whose husband thought a slippery bed would be a nice surprise so he took down their shower curtain and slathered it with shampoo. She was a good sport and tried it out and let’s just say there was a burning sensation in sensitive areas. I just about peed my pants laughing when I heard that story and we have NEVER let them live it down, but needless to say I would use adult shampoo for a bubble bath. :)

• Heidi Jugovic says

So baby shampoo doesnt contain sodium laurel sulfates or maybe less of them? Maybe I should just switch to that instead of struggling with no-poo. Thanks for the detailed reply!

• Anne says

Heidi, baby shampoo may contain less of the bad stuff, but it’s not pure. If you’re looking to buy a shampoo that is full of good, natural, vegan ingredients, try Arbonne. If you’re in the States, the website is arbonne.com… if you’re in Canada, the site is arbonne.ca. You can buy it on line and they will ship to your door. It’s not cheap, but you don’t need a lot. It doesn’t produce a lot of suds, so you may be tempted to use more… but that would be a waste. Arbonne is a great skin care line. Good luck. If you do decided to purchase while you browse, feel free to use my ID# 115625070.

• Kristen T says

I struggle with shampoo and no-poo issues as well and my friend told me about a new shampoo and conditioner that is gluten free, paraben free and costs less than $5 a bottle. I am going to pick up a bottle this weekend. It is only sold at WalMart unfortunately.

• Dawn says

There is also several different shampoo’s without SLS at the healthfood store! After trying many i have settled on Andalou I love it! And baby shampoo doesnt have sls either =)

3. Deborah says

Are there special ‘use before’ dating when mixing this up yourself? In other words, does it spoil if not used within a certain length of time? I can’t imagine that it would, but had rather be safe than sorry.

I am going to try this. I love lavender oil. Such a great oil, one for so many uses, and it has a lovely smell too. P.S I love your new picture!

Baby shampoos are most likely less strong with certain chemicals, unless they are labeled as sulphate free they are regular traditional soaps. That being said just about every store has some organic or natural baby shampoo for sale. Its going to be more expensive than Johnson and Johnsons yellow bottle though.

6. Mary says

This worked great! i tried it out tonight, so bubbly and relazing. but i used jasmine not lavender. I will try lavender next time for sure.

7. Ashley says

I just made this for my mom’s birthday and I had some left over so I figured I could go and test it out and this recipe works great! It smells wonderful and feels just as wonderful! I also added in a little bit of vitamin E to help with the moisturizing part and it still works great!