Thursday, July 19, 2012

DIY Homemade Blush!

Sometimes I am astonished at how timely the things I find online are!

Just this morning I was bemoaning the fact that my blush that I ordered from Avon a “million” years ago was running out! I couldn’t believe it! This blush has seen me through thick and thin for WELL OVER 6 months now.

I don’t really have a problem with buying more blush…but this has been GREAT BLUSH. Seriously.

When I saw this idea for “homemade” blush, I was definitely intrigued. First of all, I NEED some….and secondly, it has been my experience that when there is a HOMEMADE option….it is most likely not only a GOOD OPTION but a FRUGAL one as well. And I am ALWAYS on board with that. :-)

Since I am currently in the skies between Detroit and Salt Lake City as I type…I am going to take My American Confessions word for it on this DIY blush recipe and share it with you.  It actually makes a lot of sense and makes me wonder why I didn’t think of it! (A common feeling I have when I find a “bright idea”.)

I have read through it thoroughly and personally can’t wait to actually get home and try it! But since that is impossible at this moment…..I am going to go ahead and give it a Jillee “Thumbs Up” in anticipation of how much I think I am going to like it when I get home. :-)   (If I don’t like it as much as I anticipate I will, I promise, you will be the first to know.)

So, with 3% battery left to go on my MacBook….I present My American Confessions recipe for “Do It Yourself Blush.”

====================

This is a pretty neat DIY trick. It costs just a few cents (Literally, maybe 1?), and leaves a very smooth, even color that blends incredibly well.

DIY Blush

*Water
*Baby Powder (or make your own “baby powder” with 1/2 cup corn starch and 1/2 cup arrowroot powder…or just plain corn starch)
*Red Food Coloring
-1-2 drops for light pink
-3-4 drops for medium pink
-5-6 drops for red/dark pink

In a bowl, mix your desired amount of food coloring with 3 tablespoons of water. Next, squirt baby powder in, 1-2 teaspoons at a time, and mix until smooth. Continue to add baby powder until the consistency of the mix is almost that of a soft clay and it is no longer all together, but breaks up easily into several pieces. Now, using your fingers, pat the mixture into an empty make-up container (I had one already empty from an old blush) until filled.

If you feel creative, try mixing in a little yellow for a peachy color or a tiny bit of blue for a bit of a purple hue.To use: You can use it right away, but for best results, allow the mixture to air dry, then press a make-up sponge into the blush and apply to your cheekbones, blending with until smooth.

*Note: The color of the blush is MUCH darker wet than dry, so don’t be worried if it looks red when you mix it.

==================

Pretty cool huh? Maybe I’m strange…but I love stuff like this! :-)   I hope you like it too!

Never miss a good thing!
Receive a daily dose of Jillee + bonus newsletters.

49 thoughts on “DIY Homemade Blush!

1. Amanda Collins

I’ve researched making make up in the past and have since gave it up due to the fact that Im pretty lazy and don’t want to go through the effort, lol. Plus it was looking expensive. But THIS looks intriguing! What I did find when I was searching was that you can buy Mica aka that shimmery stuff they add to blush. I also wondered what would happen if you add that edible pearl dust they make for cake decorating (I think Wilton has it). You could definately go different directions with this. I know Wilton has some pretty incredible icing colors, I don’t know what they would do in the mixture, but a little pigment goes a long way. I wonder if you could make your own make up with those? Like eye shadow? Ooooo the possibilities! :)

2. kim

well, well… what will you think of next? I’m going to try this one. I probably only have to replace my blush about once a year, but hey, every penny saved can go toward something else!

3. Sherry @ A Happy Valentine

I’m so happy to find another homemade cosmetic idea! After looking at the many ingredients (some unrecognizable to me) in my “natural” blush, I just quit using any at all. I’ve been brushing on a cocoa powder/cornstarch blend for my face powder/foundation and then rubbing a little coconut oil on my cheeks and lips for a healthy shine. I like the results but I will need a little more color in the winter when my summer tan fades. I’ve Pinned this page so that I can make it when the cold weather gets here. Thanks!

1. Brenda

I think you have a great idea here, Sherry, but may I suggest that you apply coconut oil to your full face and neck first, then apply your powder? That way your powder has something to, for lack of a better term, stick to. Additionally, it will keep your face moisturized longer under the dryness of the powder. Since I’ve never used your creative powder blend – yet – perhaps it would be best, if you do choose to try it, to try it on a day that you’ll be staying home first. . . . For a more natural blush color, I’m thinking about a very small amount of organic beet powder. Do you think that would work well?

Thanks Jillee for another great idea!!

1. Brenda

Update: I made some face powder like Sherry’s, applied it to one side of my face, and my store bought to the other side (with a light base application of coconut oil), several hours ago, and I can’t tell the difference. No, I’m not kidding, and I’m very happy about this! Can you imagine how much money this will save?! And you can sniff it for its lovely cocoa scent. Now I can’t wait to try making blush as above, except for beet powder instead of food coloring. If it’s too purple, I think a little turmeric, or a green veggie powder might work for color adjustment – thinking RGB color values here. . . . I had no idea we could make our own cheaper and healthier makeup. Thanks, Jillee and Sherry! Makeup hasn’t been enjoyable for quite a few years – until now!

1. April

Brenda and Sherry,

I really want to try this cocoa powder/cornstarch foundation, but was wondering if you think it would work for a lighter complexion. Also, how is the coverage? Do you think it will cover tone imperfections or blemishes? Thanks Jillee, Sherry, and Brenda for these great ideas! I love making my own natural products, and saving money just as much!

2. Kristin Lee

I actually mixed mine with melted coconut oil and it goes on as a creamy blush, wonderful for my dry winter skin! I just melted maybe a teaspoon of coconut oil, mixed it all together and the let it sit overnight to get “solid” again. I usually use a finger to put it on but I’ve used a brush as well. It also works great as a light lip gel.

4. julíє

That’s funny cuz as I was reading thru this I thought yellow or blue would be good to enhance skin tones. I might have to give this a try. Thanks for all your amazing tips. Have not found ine yet I wasn’t pleased with!

5. Jodi

It was a great idea,BUT bombed out. I made it and it was just a crumbly mess with no color transference onto skin. Also really difficult to get a nice color that you would actually want on your face.

6. Megan

I just made this and am wearing it now. I accidentally left out the water and it worked fine. I used just 1/2tbsp baking powder, 1/2tbsp corn starch, to make a small test amount. I used red and yellow food coloring to my desired color. I don’t like the shimmer in blush, so I love this matte look. I put it in an old mineral powder container that I had saved! :-) Thank you for this post, as I have been struggling to find a blush color that I like.

7. Katie

This sounds awesome! I love all of your diy’s, I can’t tell you how many I’ve pinned for my wedding! I can’t wait to try this – of course, I need to run out of blush first!

1. christy

I made this blush, but it didn’t stick together in old blush compact. When I appied it with my blush brush is was crumbling apart. Should I add a little bit of coconut oil?

1. Jillee Post author

Actually it should probably read ARROWROOT powder instead of either of those. lol. I have updated the post. But you’re right….baking powder would be better than baking POWDER. :-)

8. Nora

I tend to break out when I buy blush but I just made my first batch and I love it..so easy! I love the color- I added yellow and blue and it came out a beautiful rose color that looks just like the hypoallergenic stuff I just finished. It’s drying right now. Thank you so much for this amaZing idea!! : )

9. Wendy

Hey Jillee,
    This is a cool idea! My first batch of DIY blush is drying out, can’t wait to use it tomorrow. Here are some things learned along the way: I used a sterilized, round pill container from the dollar store, because it was deeper than any of the empty blush/pressed powder containers I had, and has a screw-on lid so I don’t have to worry about spilling. I used rubbing alcohol instead of water. I’m used to using rubbing alcohol anyway to fix broken eyeshadows, bronzers, etc (didn’t I learn that from your site?) and I felt like it would eliminate any bacteria. I tested the color on my arm several times along the way. It was amazing how in the early stages it would go on as a PERFECT blush color-then dry to a chalky white! I had to add a LOT of food coloring, and I’m fair skinned! I also added in a crumbled pink eyeshadow (since it didn’t look good on my eyelids anyway). I left mine matte, because I felt it would be more natural looking, but if you wanted shimmer you could add some pale shimmer eye shadow or mineral powder. Thanks again for the good idea! :D

1. Kristin Lee

LOL That’s funny, and so true. I just used approx. one teaspoon of everything and made a super small batch. You really just have to eyeball it, it is a very easy recipe. :) Have fun!

10. Wendy

Linda-This recipe only makes a small amount of blush, the same amount you would buy. The two 1/2 cup measurements that are mentioned at the beginning are just listed there in case you prefer to make your own talc-free ‘baby powder’ first. ;)

11. Mohamed

Hey! This post couldn’t be written any better! Reading through this post reminds me of my old room mate! He always kept chatting about this. I will forward this write-up to him. Pretty sure he will have a good read. Thanks for sharing!

12. Star Harrelson

Omygoodness Jillee! I am so glad to have stumbled upon your blog. I love all the DIY tips and tricks, I just can’t seem to stop looking for more. Keep’em comin. You are The AWESOMESAUCE!!!

13. Ann

I have been looking for a way to do this for weeks! I used to hate wearing blush, because i have a minor case of rosacia, so my cheeks always look naturally flushed anyways. but lately i’ve been all about the light pink and peachy colored blush. this has just made this the best day ever :D

14. Jennifer

This sounds like a fun diy…I suggest spraying some “powder binder” onto the finished product and leting it dry, that way your finished product wont crumble. ;) Im looking forward to trying this tomorow!

15. Pingback: A home made blush ‹ Makeup tips

16. Pingback: MakeUp Magazines Makeup tips: 4 Easy DYI | 395 | MakeUp Magazines

17. Pingback: 5 Money Saving Tips for the Budget Beauty | BargainMoose Canada

18. Kate

How long does this take to dry out? Mine been sitting for a coup,e of hours and hasn’t changed? Also, I used tap water , will this cause a serious harm, should in remake with distiller or just keep this one?