Homemade Fabric Refresher That’s A “Breeze” to Make!

This is another of those “good things” I’ve been meaning to try for….forever!  I was reminded I hadn’t done so the other day when someone emailed me asking about it…again! I figured it must be time!

So I went into my vast collection of bookmarks and pulled up some recipes I had found online that looked promising. Problem was….I couldn’t decide which one to try. So I picked 3 and tried them all! :-)

Today was actually the ideal day to do this….because the boys inexplicably decided it was “room makeover” day. While they were rearranging and getting rid of old stuff…I decided a little fabric refresher definitely couldn’t hurt!  If you have boys….you know of what I speak. :-)

But before I went spraying all over their rooms…I decided we better do a “smell test” to see which of the three I made was the preferred potion.

I sprayed each of these throw pillows with a different concoction, let them air dry for a few minutes…then had them give each pillow a good SNIFF.

The results???

Recipe #1 was the hands down winner.

Mainly because it was the only one of the 3 that actually had a “smell” to it. The other two just smelled neutral. Which, depending on what you’re looking for in a “fabric refresher”, might be preferable. My boys, however, take after their mama and liked the nice-smelling one. :-)

So there you have it, our completely UNscientific test results. Take it, or leave it.  Here are the three “recipes” I used so you can conduct your OWN unscientific research. :-)

Recipe #1:

Adapted from Northern Cheapskate

1/2 cup white distilled vinegar
1/2 cup distilled water
1/4 cup liquid fabric softener (Homemade or store-bought…your choice)

Pour each of the ingredients into spray bottle and give it a shake.

Recipe #2:

(for those who don’t wish to use commercial fabric softener)

Adapted from Cooke’s Frontier

1 cup rubbing alcohol
1 cup white distilled vinegar
10-20 drops of your choice essential oil (I used Lavender)

You can also replace the rubbing alcohol with cheap vodka and it works just as well.

Recipe #3:

(another “natural” version)

Adapted from The Cents’able Shoppin

1 cup  distilled water
1/4 cup white distilled vinegar
1 tablespoon rubbing alcohol
1/2 tablespoon baking soda
8-10 drops essential oil (I used Lavender….again)

Put ingredients in spray bottle and shake it up.

Now you are armed and ready to

go forth and REFRESH!!

Share on Facebook157Tweet about this on Twitter6Pin on Pinterest13,431Google+3

Comments

1. Jennifer says

I keep seeing these on Pinterest and I wonder what they would do to your furniture, etc. long term? Does it leave any kind of film or stickiness or anything? It seems like it would draw dirt and dust to stick to it more. Especially the one that uses liquid fabric softener.

BTW, I believe fabric softener was invented to make clothes that are line dried softer. We don’t need it for clothes that go in the dryer (although I think most people do use it because it smells nice lol). I actually never use it – I put white vinegar in a downy ball and toss it in there. It’s great for washing diapers since you can’t use fabric softener and I frequently line dry them. It works well and it’s waaay cheaper.

2. Amanda says

I make mine just by sprinkling purex crystals in some water and putting it in a spray bottle. It smells like fresh laundry and it’s super easy to make.

• Tommi says

The Downy Unstoppables are AWESOME! I love the Purex Crystals but the Unstoppables are so much more intense and last WAAAAY longer. I ONLY buy them when they are on sale or if I have a coupon.
        BTW….. CVS has them on sale this week for $5.99 (I may go back and stock up).

3. Rachelle says

I have two boys of my own, and their room definitely gets that distinctive “boy” smell. I can’t wait to try this in their room!

4. Karrie says

I’m so excited to try this. I’ve been using a recipe I found at “Fake It Frugal”. Have you ever seen that blog? I love it. That recipe uses baking soda, downy, and water. I like it but the baking soda clogged up the sprayer. Can’t wait to try your recipe. BTW I LOVE YOUR BLOG!!!!!

5. Brandon Edwards says

Another tip for Recipe #1 if you don’t want to use commercial fabric softener is to use your homemade fabric softener in its place….that is what we do. We also add 1-2 Tbl of baking soda to the mix and just use hot water as the filler…now you’ve got me wanting to try it with vinegar too. After I got home from work last night, my fiance told me I need to whip her up a batch of “Febreeze” *haha* so now I suppose I shall be off to experiment with these new recipes/ideas. Thanks a million!

Hi Brandon….I’m embarrassed that I didn’t add that to the post! Of course you could use the HOMEMADE fabric softener for this! doh! Thanks for the reminder.

• Jamie says

Since they contain vinegar and/or alcohol, they should keep almost an eternity but if you’re anything like me…it’ll be gone in a week. ;)

6. Jenn says

I’m wondering if you can you use homemade fabric softener? It already has vinegar in it.

I was wondering the same thing about using this as a fabric softener. I have been using the homemade laundry detergent recipe and have a complex because I read some places that say after a while the clothes get a musty smell and to put vinegar in the clothes to stop that from happening.

• Rose Myrtle says

Neat! you make your own fabric softener!Could you give me the recipe for the fabric softener? Thanks! :)

7. Gretchen Dietz says

I wonder if you could use hair conditioner rather than Downy – I use it for homemade dryer sheets. You can usually find it for $1 so it would be cheaper.

8. Stephanie says

I have been reading your blog for a few months now and I love it!

I have seen the #1 recipe on many blogs and pinterest and have been hesitant to try it because I was a bit worried about it leaving a film or build up on fabrics and furniture. Have you found this to be a problem or is it much more like Febreze? Thank you.