How to Make Your Own Beachy Hair Spray

Growing up in southern California the “beach waves” look was not something you found in a bottle…but something you got by actually going to the beach. :-)

What we thought was just “beach hair” that we couldn’t wait to get home to WASH…is now in fashion and people are paying GOOD MONEY for products designed to give them that “been at the beach all day” look.

I looked and looked for a good picture to illustrate the “beachy waves” look…and I thought this cute picture of Vanessa Hudgens was a good example.

Bumble and Bumble makes a popular product called Surf Spray. But get this….a FOUR OUNCE bottle will set you back $24.00!! I’m sorry…even if I’m MILES and MILES away from a “real” beach…I am not going to pay $24.00 for that “beach look”. ¬†(And I could have really USED it the last few days while in Milwaukee! It has been SO hot and humid and my hair has been one big frizz ball!)

While I’m not sure even “Surf Spray” could have helped my frizz attack this week….I would have been willing to give it a try. :-) ¬†This afternoon, in frustration, I decided to look up how to make your own “beach waves spray” and was amazed at how SIMPLE it is!

Here is the basic “recipe” that I found on several different websites….including…ehow.com

In a spray bottle combine:

• 1 cup of water
  • 2 teaspoons of Sea Salt
  • 2 tablespoons hair gel
  • 2 teaspoons Coconut Oil
  • Essential oils for fragrance (optional)

Spray all over damp hair and scrunch with your fingers. Blow dry or let it air dry. Finger comb through your hair and you look like you just came from a beautiful and fun day at the beach!

TIP: If you have some more time you can also spray all over, part hair into sections and loosely braid your hair. Blow dry or sleep on it. When its dry, finger comb braids out.

If you have very oily hair you can add more sea salt, or if you have very dry hair, you can add more cocount oil. Play around with it until you get the perfect combination for “beach babe hair”…..withOUT having to travel to the beach! :-)

Facebook124Twitter6Pinterest4377Google+2

Comments

1. Crystal says

I use a similar homemade spray!! I love it!! The only difference is the coconut oil! Instead I ad a 1/2 tsp of Suave Tropical Coconut Conditioner. It works great! Found it on Pinterest!!lol

2. Robin says

Hi Jillee, Where can I find coconut oil, other than on the web? Do you know of any stores that carry it? Thanks for your great posts and ideas. I look forward to them in my inbox. Robin

3. Linda says

I gave in to the humidity about 2 weeks ago. I think it takes longer to scrunch than it does to blowdry. I can’t wait to try this, I’m making it tonight! Thanks for the recipe. BTW, I’ve had to put all of my fav “recipes” you’ve posted into a notebook to remember them, lol.

4. Kadee Gray says

I have enough coconut oil lying around that I’d like to give this a try. My only problem is the frizz – I have a ton of fly-aways. Have you used that recipe and did it help with your frizz problems at all? Just curious, may have to give this a try when I go camping next week :)

5. Katia says

You would need to shake it before each use. I used to have a beach spray from Sunsilk and it was in a clear bottle so you could see the oil separated from the water. Just shake before you spray. Thanks for the recipe, I will have to give it a try :)

6. Deb says

Hi, this is the first time I saw your site and I was intrigued by all your homemade products and fun ideas. I have been trying to get an invite on pintrist and heard I could get one by someone inviting me. Was wondering if you could invite me,I would truly enjoy following your pins and site!

7. Amy says

I would love to try this as well but like other posters am concerned about the coconut oil. It is FABULOUS for hair and skin, but at room temperature is in a solid form. Does one of the other ingredients keep it from turning solid?

8. Linda says

I’ve been using this for about a week now & I love it!! I usually blowdry my somewhat wavy hair straight but not anymore. I’ve had friends ask if I’ve gotten a wave, then I tell them my secret, lol. I made a few minor subs (used conditioner in place of the coconut oil, didn’t have sea salt so I used 1/2 table salt & 1/2 sugar). I think you can really get creative with the recipe according to the type of hair you have. Thanks so much, Jillee!

9. Kirstie says

This be great if my hair wasn’t already curly. I just have to run my hand through my hair when drying it, but my boyfriend’s daughter would love this. She got such straight hair so have to make it for her.

I’ve got wavy long hair which is sort of natural beach hair. To hold in the waves without frizz during dry weather, I use natural castile soap to wash my hair. I use Dr. Bronners or this African fair trade black soap that I found online. You need to clarify your hair every once in a while to get the residue off, but it holds hair in waves very well. A castile soap hair wash might make a good moisturizing hold for before you add the salt spray. I know when I go to the beach it helps hold my hair together and not look stringy.

• Anzel says

I just tried your recipe, and I’m AMAZED!!! My hair is super difficult to curl and once curled it doesn’t stay in for more than 5 minutes! This worked really well!! I added some curl enhancing spray (unscrewed the top and poured it in) and used conditioner with it! Thanks for the great idea! It’s awesome! Hubby loves it too! LOL! He just loves that messy curly look!!

11. Tara says

I just tried this recipe out and I have a few changes I might try next time. It made my hair feel kind of stringy, which I am assuming is either the gel or salt. I think next time I will increase the oil and decrease the gel and salt a little. It did the trick as far as getting the tousled waves I was looking for! I have naturally wavy hair and I just needed something that would hold the waves together without getting frizzy and without being crunchy. I did scrunch it up a bit and let it air dry. This recipe was a great start for me.

Avoid conditioners with sulfates and keep one protein based conditioner at hand whenever you experience excessive shedding,
    breakage and lost moisture. It might just be a case of trial and error, if nothing
    seems to work speak to your dermatologist for any advice or try a different acne skin care product.
    This will cause the hair to stretch and finally break.

Profollica Best Treatment for Men improves hair body and suppleness and protect against harmful sun damage and itchy and scalp
    conditions. It is important to always make sure that your hair is
    well maintained by ensuring that the hair is kept clean. Hair loss is of concern to most people at one point in their lives.

This can be done in many ways including networking groups, community
    service or hosting a party at your office or
    some other venue. Some of these include: travel expenses to and from medical treatments,
    insurance premiums you pay for from already-taxed income and even alcohol or drug abuse treatments.
    However, financial help is always readily available for
    autistic summer camps kids who need it. In 2003, 2004 and 2005, they
    met or exceeded all requirements of the No Child Left Behind Act of 2001.
    If you talk to Boyd, she’ll mention Contreas’
    skimming and some odd break-ins at the control tower.
    -based company started franchising in 2003,
    Camp Bow Wow has sold more than 200 franchises in 38 states, plus
    one in Canada. The fantastic advertised plus marketed camps keep quite possibly the ones under which one continue majority
    familiar, in addition those function stay often in the course of the greater number aggressive options.
    And, better in YOUR pockets than in Uncle Sam’s, right.
    This includes camp computer games, console games, and even foosball, air hockey, ping pong, and
    more. You could be rigid and continue to
    do things the same way over and over.

The proficient team working here has great and immense knowledge
    in the field. Instead try a nice pair of wool or cotton chino
    dress trousers with a button down shirt, sweater vest, tie,
    and sport jacket. Fortunately, in this day and age of the Internet and the increasingly diverse global fashion market,
    you certainly don’t need to go all the way to Japan to get
    the very latest in Japanese fashion.