Tuesday, July 17, 2012

How to Make Your Own Beachy Hair Spray

Growing up in southern California the “beach waves” look was not something you found in a bottle…but something you got by actually going to the beach. :-)

What we thought was just “beach hair” that we couldn’t wait to get home to WASH…is now in fashion and people are paying GOOD MONEY for products designed to give them that “been at the beach all day” look.

I looked and looked for a good picture to illustrate the “beachy waves” look…and I thought this cute picture of Vanessa Hudgens was a good example.

Bumble and Bumble makes a popular product called Surf Spray. But get this….a FOUR OUNCE bottle will set you back $24.00!! I’m sorry…even if I’m MILES and MILES away from a “real” beach…I am not going to pay $24.00 for that “beach look”. ¬†(And I could have really USED it the last few days while in Milwaukee! It has been SO hot and humid and my hair has been one big frizz ball!)

While I’m not sure even “Surf Spray” could have helped my frizz attack this week….I would have been willing to give it a try. :-) ¬†This afternoon, in frustration, I decided to look up how to make your own “beach waves spray” and was amazed at how SIMPLE it is!

Here is the basic “recipe” that I found on several different websites….including…ehow.com

In a spray bottle combine:

• 1 cup of water
  • 2 teaspoons of Sea Salt
  • 2 tablespoons hair gel
  • 2 teaspoons Coconut Oil
  • Essential oils for fragrance (optional)

Spray all over damp hair and scrunch with your fingers. Blow dry or let it air dry. Finger comb through your hair and you look like you just came from a beautiful and fun day at the beach!

TIP: If you have some more time you can also spray all over, part hair into sections and loosely braid your hair. Blow dry or sleep on it. When its dry, finger comb braids out.

If you have very oily hair you can add more sea salt, or if you have very dry hair, you can add more cocount oil. Play around with it until you get the perfect combination for “beach babe hair”…..withOUT having to travel to the beach! :-)

Never miss a good thing!
Receive a daily dose of Jillee + bonus newsletters.

37 thoughts on “How to Make Your Own Beachy Hair Spray

1. Crystal

I use a similar homemade spray!! I love it!! The only difference is the coconut oil! Instead I ad a 1/2 tsp of Suave Tropical Coconut Conditioner. It works great! Found it on Pinterest!!lol

2. Robin

Hi Jillee, Where can I find coconut oil, other than on the web? Do you know of any stores that carry it? Thanks for your great posts and ideas. I look forward to them in my inbox. Robin

1. Mindy

Robin, I’ve found coconut oil at Meijer and Walmart. It’s typically in the gourmet food section. However, I found that it is much less expensive on the web.

1. Jamie

Walmart has refined coconut oil (with the rest of the cooking oils) for around $5-6 . You can find virgin coconut oil with the vitamins and that is about $10.

3. kim

I”ve seen these recipes before and have been tempted to try, but am not confident that it will look as care-free sexy on me. One of these days I may give it a whirl.

4. Linda

I gave in to the humidity about 2 weeks ago. I think it takes longer to scrunch than it does to blowdry. I can’t wait to try this, I’m making it tonight! Thanks for the recipe. BTW, I’ve had to put all of my fav “recipes” you’ve posted into a notebook to remember them, lol.

5. Ruth

Question: How do you get the coconut oil to mix with the water??? Do you melt it first? Does it stay combined? Do you need to shake this really, really well every time you use it?

6. Kadee Gray

I have enough coconut oil lying around that I’d like to give this a try. My only problem is the frizz – I have a ton of fly-aways. Have you used that recipe and did it help with your frizz problems at all? Just curious, may have to give this a try when I go camping next week :)

7. Katia

You would need to shake it before each use. I used to have a beach spray from Sunsilk and it was in a clear bottle so you could see the oil separated from the water. Just shake before you spray. Thanks for the recipe, I will have to give it a try :)

8. Deb

Hi, this is the first time I saw your site and I was intrigued by all your homemade products and fun ideas. I have been trying to get an invite on pintrist and heard I could get one by someone inviting me. Was wondering if you could invite me,I would truly enjoy following your pins and site!

9. Amy

I would love to try this as well but like other posters am concerned about the coconut oil. It is FABULOUS for hair and skin, but at room temperature is in a solid form. Does one of the other ingredients keep it from turning solid?

10. Mindy M

Just like others, I’m curious about the coconut oil. Would it be ok to micro first to liquefy it? It still would need shaking, but would at least be spray-able…

11. Linda

I’ve been using this for about a week now & I love it!! I usually blowdry my somewhat wavy hair straight but not anymore. I’ve had friends ask if I’ve gotten a wave, then I tell them my secret, lol. I made a few minor subs (used conditioner in place of the coconut oil, didn’t have sea salt so I used 1/2 table salt & 1/2 sugar). I think you can really get creative with the recipe according to the type of hair you have. Thanks so much, Jillee!

12. Kirstie

This be great if my hair wasn’t already curly. I just have to run my hand through my hair when drying it, but my boyfriend’s daughter would love this. She got such straight hair so have to make it for her.

13. Alexandra

I’ve got wavy long hair which is sort of natural beach hair. To hold in the waves without frizz during dry weather, I use natural castile soap to wash my hair. I use Dr. Bronners or this African fair trade black soap that I found online. You need to clarify your hair every once in a while to get the residue off, but it holds hair in waves very well. A castile soap hair wash might make a good moisturizing hold for before you add the salt spray. I know when I go to the beach it helps hold my hair together and not look stringy.

1. Anzel

I just tried your recipe, and I’m AMAZED!!! My hair is super difficult to curl and once curled it doesn’t stay in for more than 5 minutes! This worked really well!! I added some curl enhancing spray (unscrewed the top and poured it in) and used conditioner with it! Thanks for the great idea! It’s awesome! Hubby loves it too! LOL! He just loves that messy curly look!!

14. Tara

I just tried this recipe out and I have a few changes I might try next time. It made my hair feel kind of stringy, which I am assuming is either the gel or salt. I think next time I will increase the oil and decrease the gel and salt a little. It did the trick as far as getting the tousled waves I was looking for! I have naturally wavy hair and I just needed something that would hold the waves together without getting frizzy and without being crunchy. I did scrunch it up a bit and let it air dry. This recipe was a great start for me.

15. Pingback: Coconut Oil Is My Favorite - Cuddles and Chaos