How to Make Your Own Beachy Hair Spray

Growing up in southern California the “beach waves” look was not something you found in a bottle…but something you got by actually going to the beach. :-)

What we thought was just “beach hair” that we couldn’t wait to get home to WASH…is now in fashion and people are paying GOOD MONEY for products designed to give them that “been at the beach all day” look.

I looked and looked for a good picture to illustrate the “beachy waves” look…and I thought this cute picture of Vanessa Hudgens was a good example.

Bumble and Bumble makes a popular product called Surf Spray. But get this….a FOUR OUNCE bottle will set you back $24.00!! I’m sorry…even if I’m MILES and MILES away from a “real” beach…I am not going to pay $24.00 for that “beach look”.  (And I could have really USED it the last few days while in Milwaukee! It has been SO hot and humid and my hair has been one big frizz ball!)

While I’m not sure even “Surf Spray” could have helped my frizz attack this week….I would have been willing to give it a try. :-)  This afternoon, in frustration, I decided to look up how to make your own “beach waves spray” and was amazed at how SIMPLE it is!

Here is the basic “recipe” that I found on several different websites….including…ehow.com

In a spray bottle combine:

• 1 cup of water
  • 2 teaspoons of Sea Salt
  • 2 tablespoons hair gel
  • 2 teaspoons Coconut Oil
  • Essential oils for fragrance (optional)

Spray all over damp hair and scrunch with your fingers. Blow dry or let it air dry. Finger comb through your hair and you look like you just came from a beautiful and fun day at the beach!

TIP: If you have some more time you can also spray all over, part hair into sections and loosely braid your hair. Blow dry or sleep on it. When its dry, finger comb braids out.

If you have very oily hair you can add more sea salt, or if you have very dry hair, you can add more cocount oil. Play around with it until you get the perfect combination for “beach babe hair”…..withOUT having to travel to the beach! :-)

Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter6Pin on Pinterest4,729Google+2

Comments

1. Crystal says

I use a similar homemade spray!! I love it!! The only difference is the coconut oil! Instead I ad a 1/2 tsp of Suave Tropical Coconut Conditioner. It works great! Found it on Pinterest!!lol

2. Lucy says

I was – literally – going to search for this on Pinterest today or tomorrow. Thanks, Jillee! Can’t wait to try it.

3. Robin says

Hi Jillee, Where can I find coconut oil, other than on the web? Do you know of any stores that carry it? Thanks for your great posts and ideas. I look forward to them in my inbox. Robin

• Mindy says

Robin, I’ve found coconut oil at Meijer and Walmart. It’s typically in the gourmet food section. However, I found that it is much less expensive on the web.

• Jamie says

Walmart has refined coconut oil (with the rest of the cooking oils) for around $5-6 . You can find virgin coconut oil with the vitamins and that is about $10.

• evangeline says

I live in Ontario Canada, I found it in Denniger’s and Starsky’s but any specialty foods should carry it.

4. kim says

I”ve seen these recipes before and have been tempted to try, but am not confident that it will look as care-free sexy on me. One of these days I may give it a whirl.

5. Kate says

Robin- you can find it in any grocery store within the cooking oil section. It’s awesome to have on hand for cooking anything!

6. Linda says

I gave in to the humidity about 2 weeks ago. I think it takes longer to scrunch than it does to blowdry. I can’t wait to try this, I’m making it tonight! Thanks for the recipe. BTW, I’ve had to put all of my fav “recipes” you’ve posted into a notebook to remember them, lol.

Question: How do you get the coconut oil to mix with the water??? Do you melt it first? Does it stay combined? Do you need to shake this really, really well every time you use it?

Definitely want to try this one! I have tried many different wave sprays and none have worked, interested to find out! :) Thanks for sharing!

9. Susan says

I’m curious about the mixing too, Ruth. I’m hoping I can find coconut oil locally…

10. Kadee Gray says

I have enough coconut oil lying around that I’d like to give this a try. My only problem is the frizz – I have a ton of fly-aways. Have you used that recipe and did it help with your frizz problems at all? Just curious, may have to give this a try when I go camping next week :)

• Vicki says

Kadee,

I have a ton of frizz, I feel your pain. I made this yesterday and I love it. I highly recommend it.