How To Update Your “Window Dressing” On A Shoestring!

Last weekend I had a million places to be and a million and ONE things to do….and doing a window MAKEOVER was NOT one of them!

But for some reason, on that particular day, I took one last look at the mini blinds in my bedroom, that looked much like this picture, (I didn’t take an actual picture because I really had NO intention of blogging about this!) and hit the proverbial wall!

I couldn’t stand to look at them one more day! So I ripped them off the wall and threw them away. lol. I CAN be a bit impulsive sometimes.

(Word of caution:  This is best done when the hubster is off doing something else. For SOME reason they tend to start getting nervous when you start ripping things off the walls that are attached with hardware. Don’t ask me why!)

The problem with being impulsive? You solve one problem…but end up creating NEW ones. I was pretty sure the hubster was going to be dismayed upon returning from his BBQ competition gig and finding NAKED WINDOWS…so even though I had a million places to be and a million and ONE things to do….NOW I had to make an unscheduled trip to Walmart to see what I could come up with for my naked windows.

A little explanation might be in order here. The reason I hadn’t ripped down the broken blinds BEFORE is because we are PLANNING on getting new blinds throughout the whole house…but since next week we are getting tile installed in our kitchen area…blinds are going to have to wait awhile.  I figured I could just “live with” the sad state of the blinds until we were ready to order all new ones….but I was wrong. Obviously. :-)

I didn’t want to invest a lot of $$$ into something that would be replaced fairly soon…but I didn’t want naked windows until then either.

So this is what I came up with as a TEMPORARY but LIVABLE solution until then.

window coverings makeover

window coverings makeover

window coverings makeover

window coverings makeover       window coverings makeover

Not bad. Like I said…I wasn’t planning on doing this mini-makeover….but based on how easy and inexpensive this was…I’m kinda wishing I’d done it LONG ago. :-)

Share on Facebook16Tweet about this on Twitter1Pin on Pinterest928Google+1

Comments

1. Patricia says

Girl, you are too funny, you sound just like me, I do things like that when my blindsman isn’t home, I Hate mini blinds, I put vintage table cloths be hind my lace curtains, they are so sweet. I love making things out of what I have laying around, good idea!!

Cute!

I’ve dressed up most of my windows with weird thrift-store finds. But I like to sew, which makes it a lot easier.

I just made myself a set of curtains for the laundry room by cutting a vintage tablecloth in half and sewing up the resulting edge. White with a bright yellow stripe of a border. Adorable!

3. Teresa says

Love your blog. So many great tips and ideas. I do have a question about this post. I don’t unstand the last picture in this post. What is the clip thing on and what is it for? I still have not had my coffee yet so maybe that is why I can’t see it. Someone help me see what the picture is about. Off to get that cofee now.

LOL! We must be distantly related or something – I took down the vertical blinds recently and replaced them with…tab-top curtains held in place with paperclips ;D

5. Penni G says

This is PERFECT! I have been wanting to do somethin gdifferent with my windows in my living room/dining room for a long time. I just have curtains that have faded and just need to go. I actually want to repaint, but the hubster said we have to wait on that one. So I think I just might try this. THANK YOU!

6. kris says

Where did you get the shades for 3.95? Like the blanket idea!!!! I have a beautiful damask shower curtain that started life as a tablecloth. I couldn’t find what I wanted at the fabric store so I was checking out walmart shower curtains and there in clearance was a tablecloth with just the kind of material I wanted for 5.00! Now I get seasonal tablecloths to make as my shower curtain kris

7. Deb says

You are:
    Smart, clever, ambitious, talented, AND a very creative writer/blogger! How in the heck did you come up with that idea! I think to myself, I would have never thought of that! But then, once I was clever too – I have a small shower in my master bath (not as wide as a tub shower.) When I re-did the paint in there, I purchased a pretty shower curtain, which I cut in half lengthwise, hemming up the side, and used 1/2 the shower curtain on a rod with 6 of the regular shower curtain hooks. The top of the other half I used as a window curtain (cut to fit the length of the window.) I put a large tension rod in the window and used the other 6 shower curtain hooks to hang the window ‘curtain’ ! That left the bottom quarter of the shower curtain, which I cut into a circle and used for a small table topper in my bedroom! For the price of a shower curtain (around $20) I got a shower curtain, window curtain and a table topper. I love your ideas, keep up the good work!