Recently I’ve been fascinated with finding out more about the benefits of HONEY! I’ve always been a fan of the sweet stuff….as in….I really like it on my Mom’s English Muffin Bread. :-) But I had no idea it could be used in SO many OTHER ways, both internally and externally.
Honey has been used all over the world for thousands of years…the Greeks, Persians, Egyptians and even the Romans knew about the benefits of honey. So it’s not surprising there are so many beneficial uses out there!
Here are just SOME that I found:
- Better athletic performance: The glucose found in honey, plus other natural sugars, can provide an all-natural energy boost to athletes.
- Improved sleep and relaxation: Taking a spoonful of honey before bed can help you get restful sleep. The natural sugar in honey raises insulin slightly and allows tryptophan to enter our brains more easily.
- Fewer allergies: Consuming honey daily before allergy season can help your body grow accustomed to the pollen and immunize your body against it.
- Healed cuts and scrapes: Honey has antibacterial properties that prevent infection in minor abrasions. Simply dab a little honey onto your cut and cover with a bandage.
- Immune booster: Honey is chock full of polyphenols, a type of antioxidant that helps to protect cells from free radical damage. It can also contribute to heart health as well as protection against cancer.
And my FAVORITE benefit……….
- Skin moisturizer: Honey is a humectant, which means it attracts and retains moisture on hair and skin.
Even Cleopatra knew about the skincare benefits of honey! She used to bathe herself in milk and honey! And they say she was quite the “looker”! ;-) So if it’s good enough for Cleopatra…I guess it’s good enough for me to at least give it a try.
I decided to whip up a few simple beauty recipes using honey. I made a Honey Bath Soap in honor of Cleo (minus the milk)…and, since my hair is so dry lately, I mixed up a very simple Honey Hair Conditioner.
A silky luxurious bath that will moisturize your skin while you soak.
- 1 cup sweet almond oil (you may substitute a light olive oil)
- 1/2 cup organic honey
- 1/2 cup liquid hand soap
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Add all the ingredients to a clean plastic bottle with a squeeze top and shake gently until completely incorporated. Be sure to shake again before using. Squeeze desired amount under running water into a bathtub. Step in and enjoy!
I was initially worried about feeling “sticky” with honey in my bathwater…but you don’t experience anything like that! This was a real treat to soak in! My skin definitely felt nice and soft afterwards. :-)
Add a beautiful shine to your hair.
Mix 1/2 cup honey with
1/4 cup olive oil. (Use 2 tablespoons of oil if you have normal to oily hair.)
Using a small amount at a time, work mixture through hair until it is evenly coated. Cover hair with a shower cap; leave on 30 minutes.
Remove shower cap; shampoo well and rinse. Dry and style as usual.
I can’t believe I’ve never tried this before! It was wonderful! Again, I couldn’t believe my hair wouldn’t feel “sticky” after putting honey in it…but it didn’t at all! Just felt smoother and looked shinier than it has in a LONG time!
These are only two of the DOZENS of beauty recipes I found online. I can’t wait to make more! Two MORE I will definitely be trying are these:
(for minor acne flare-ups)
Mix 1/2 cup warm water with 1/4 teaspoon salt.
Using a cotton ball, apply directly to blemish. Maintain pressure with cotton ball for several minutes, to soften blemish.
Using a cotton swab, dab honey on blemish; leave on 10 minutes. Rinse and pat dry.
This moisturizing mask draws out toxins and impurities to rejuvenate skin.
- 2 tbsp raw honey
- 1 tbsp French green clay or rose clay
- 2 drops lavender or rose otto essential oil (optional)
- Water to thin as needed
Wash face and leave slightly damp. Apply mask all over face, avoiding the eye area. Leave on for 15 minutes. Rinse off with warm water. Gently pat dry.
And….if you’re not feeling like making your own beauty products….look for honey in store-bought products or simply add a squeeze of honey to your moisturizer, shampoo or soap at home. Love this idea!
Do you “heart” HONEY??