All The Buzz About The Beauty Benefits of Honey!

benefits of honey Recently I’ve been fascinated with finding out more about the benefits of HONEY!  I’ve always been a fan of the sweet stuff….as in….I really like it on my Mom’s English Muffin Bread. :-) But I had no idea it could be used in SO many OTHER ways, both internally and externally.

Honey has been used all over the world for thousands of years…the Greeks, Persians, Egyptians and even the Romans knew about the benefits of honey. So it’s not surprising there are so many beneficial uses out there!

Here are just SOME that I found:

• Better athletic performance: The glucose found in honey, plus other natural sugars, can provide an all-natural energy boost to athletes.
  • Improved sleep and relaxation: Taking a spoonful of honey before bed can help you get restful sleep. The natural sugar in honey raises insulin slightly and allows tryptophan to enter our brains more easily.
  • Fewer allergies: Consuming honey daily before allergy season can help your body grow accustomed to the pollen and immunize your body against it.
  • Healed cuts and scrapes: Honey has antibacterial properties that prevent infection in minor abrasions. Simply dab a little honey onto your cut and cover with a bandage.
  • Immune booster: Honey is chock full of polyphenols, a type of antioxidant that helps to protect cells from free radical damage. It can also contribute to heart health as well as protection against cancer.

And my FAVORITE benefit……….

• Skin moisturizer: Honey is a humectant, which means it attracts and retains moisture on hair and skin.

Even Cleopatra knew about the skincare benefits of honey! She used to bathe herself in milk and honey! And they say she was quite the “looker”!  ;-)  So if it’s good enough for Cleopatra…I guess it’s good enough for me to at least give it a try.

I decided to whip up a few simple beauty recipes using honey. I made a Honey Bath Soap in honor of Cleo (minus the milk)…and, since my hair is so dry lately, I mixed up a very simple Honey Hair Conditioner.

benefits of honey

Honey Foaming Bath Soap

honey foaming bath soap

A silky luxurious bath that will moisturize your skin while you soak.

1 cup sweet almond oil (you may substitute a light olive oil)
1/2 cup organic honey
1/2 cup liquid hand soap
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

Add all the ingredients to a clean plastic bottle with a squeeze top and shake gently until completely incorporated. Be sure to shake again before using. Squeeze desired amount under running water into a bathtub. Step in and enjoy!

honey foaming bath soap

I was initially worried about feeling “sticky” with honey in my bathwater…but you don’t experience anything like that! This was a real treat to soak in! My skin definitely felt nice and soft afterwards. :-)

honey hair conditioner

Honey Hair Conditioner

Add a beautiful shine to your hair.

Mix 1/2 cup honey with

1/4 cup olive oil. (Use 2 tablespoons of oil if you have normal to oily hair.)

Using a small amount at a time, work mixture through hair until it is evenly coated. Cover hair with a shower cap; leave on 30 minutes.

Remove shower cap; shampoo well and rinse. Dry and style as usual.

honey hair conditioner

I can’t believe I’ve never tried this before! It was wonderful! Again, I couldn’t believe my hair wouldn’t feel “sticky” after putting honey in it…but it didn’t at all!  Just felt smoother and looked shinier than it has in a LONG time!

These are only two of the DOZENS of beauty recipes I found online. I can’t wait to make more! Two MORE I will definitely be trying are these:

benefits of honey

Soothing Skin Clarifier

(for minor acne flare-ups)

Mix 1/2 cup warm water with 1/4 teaspoon salt.

Using a cotton ball, apply directly to blemish. Maintain pressure with cotton ball for several minutes, to soften blemish.

Using a cotton swab, dab honey on blemish; leave on 10 minutes. Rinse and pat dry.

benefits of honey

Honey Beauty Mask

This moisturizing mask draws out toxins and impurities to rejuvenate skin.

2 tbsp raw honey
1 tbsp French green clay or rose clay
2 drops lavender or rose otto essential oil (optional)
Water to thin as needed

Wash face and leave slightly damp. Apply mask all over face, avoiding the eye area. Leave on for 15 minutes. Rinse off with warm water. Gently pat dry.

And….if you’re not feeling like making your own beauty products….look for honey in store-bought products or simply add a squeeze of honey to your moisturizer, shampoo or soap at home.   Love this idea!

Do you “heart” HONEY??

Share on Facebook186Tweet about this on Twitter21Pin on Pinterest38,960Google+4

Comments

1. Kathy S says

Just keep in mind that processing honey destroys its enzymes, polyphenols and antibacterial properties. If you are using honey for these reasons be sure to use only raw, unpasterized honey. For allergies try to find LOCAL honey. (The bees will have collected the pollen of the plants that bloom in the area where you live.) Your local farmer’s market is probably your best source. For beauty products any honey will work. I would suggest avoiding the imported honey, especially from China, for ANY purpose. They allow the use of many agriculture chemicals that are on the pollen and remain in the honey even after processing!

2. Helen says

I love all your useful tips and insights – just a quick comment that I have really enjoyed making many of your products with great results! Hair conditioner is definitely on this weeks list! (Loving my home made laundry detergent that I made last weekend and the household cleaner with Lavendar essense in it – mmm!). Cleaning has actually become more fun to do! Anyway, just wanted to say THANKS!!

3. Deb says

On July 9th, you had a post using honey I love for my dry skin. It’s made with yogurt, honey, cinnamon and nutmeg. Works great on more mature skin. Thank you!

4. Deborah Jennings says

I love honey! I use it a lot when I can’t sleep at night. I pour milk in a coffee mug, adding about a Tablespoon or so of honey, and heat in the microwave just until warm. It is so good! And best of all, I get some calcium from the milk, and I get a good night’s sleep.

I do know that honey is a great antiseptic. I have used it on cuts and scrapes. They seem to heal faster when I use the honey. Nature’s antibiotic! =) I love natural things. ALL things! Especially what I put into and on my body.

5. Kathy in STL says

Yesterday, I found another recipe for acne-prone skin that I tried–1/2 lemon (d0esn’t matter if some of the juice has already been squeezed out) and a few drops of honey on top. Swirl it around your face for a minute; let sit on face for 5 minutes and then rinse. My skin is clearer and brighter today, but don’t want to do too often as lemon is a lightener. Thanks Jillee for trying all these and passing on the great results!

6. Deborah Jennings says

One more thing . . . if you take honey for allergies, be sure to get local honey. See where it comes from, and get as close to where you live as you possibly can. I do have allergies! (All year long allergies!) This helps me when I can find local honey.

7. Kimmer says

My grandma’s “go to” recipe for sleeplessness was a teaspoon of honey disolved in a cup of warm milk. Works like a good knockout punch for me. I’ve stepped it up a notch and put turmeric in it too (for inflamation).

8. Cynthia says

This is awesome. I’ve been wondering about the benefits of honey myself lately because of all the mainstream hair and beauty producers coming out with honey-infused products (i.e. Herbal Essences Honey I’m Strong shampoo and conditioner). I’m looking for something new for my fiancee. He has incredibly bad dandruff lately that he hasn’t been able to kick even with a combo of Head & Shoulders and T-Gel. He also has eczema of the scalp and since the poor thing is losing his hair, it doesn’t help that he scratches it all the time! I hope maybe I can find a natural solution for him.
    I’m also hoping I can make something we can both use. I dye my hair red from time to time, and I want a natural shampoo that will protect my color the way my Garnier Fructis Color Shield does. But, as it stands now, I feel guilty using the stuff because my hair has no color on it. However, I don’t really want to go out and buy another bottle of shampoo.
    I might try the conditioner…but are you supposed to apply it to wet or dry hair, or does it matter? 30 minutes is kind of long to wait, especially for people with short hair, like me…I kind of think I’d do it before I got in the shower, and then just hop in and shampoo it.

9. Vestakia says

For all those other Mommies out there, honey heals severe diaper rash.

Long story short, my 2 month old had such a severe diaper rash he started weeping blood. The hospital gave us a thick desitin and powder treatment that didn’t work. Desperate, my parents suggested honey and I tried it. I put so much on him my husband was quoted saying, “You’re going to start attracting bears!” However, it worked. I used it after every diaper change. I could tell the difference within the first 2-3 changes. Within 24 hours, he was completely healed.