Make Your Own Natural “Skin Brightener”

Lately it seems all I hear about is how GOOD FOR YOU Apple Cider Vinegar is! Specifically THIS stuff…raw, unfiltered, apple cider vinegar. As a matter of fact, I was at my sisters house recently and she actually made us all drink a “shot” of the stuff. AHHHHH!!!!  It was AWFUL to drink!!!!

So, needless to say, I’m not much of a fan of DRINKING the stuff (although I’m TRYING to overcome that!)….but the I have heard SO many good things about the benefits of apple cider vinegar in general that I was intrigued when I saw this recipe at The Daily Green for a DIY Facial Toner with aspirin that promised a BRIGHTER complexion. I personally can’t pass up a promise like that! :-)

I decided to do a little research because as smart as I think my older sister is…another opinion/review never hurts. :-)

Here is what I found:

Apple cider vinegar is naturally antiseptic and antibacterial, and it helps balance the pH of your skin. Apples are loaded with nutrients like potassium, pectin, malic acid and calcium. The fermentation process used to make cider vinegar from the apples fortifies the vitamins and minerals, making them even more powerful.

Aspirin contains salicylic acid which is the most frequently used beta-hydroxy acid when it comes to skin care. It clears away excess oil, cleans out your pores and exfoliates your skin to loosen and help remove dead skin cells. Sounds like a winning combination to me!  (If you have delicate skin, use sparingly.)

apple cider toner

apple cider toner

Ingredients:

1/2 ounce organic apple cider vinegar

3 ounces mineral water (or distilled water)

5 plain aspirin tablets, uncoated (I used BC powders because I couldn’t find plain aspirin ANYWHERE! But I didn’t have to crush them, so that was a bonus.)

Instructions:

1. Dilute 1/2 ounce organic apple cider vinegar with 3 ounces water.

2. Use pestle and mortar to crush aspirin tablets. (or use BC powders)

3. Add aspirin tablet mixture to water and vinegar mix.

4. Apply toner sparingly to areas with acne, rough skin or enlarged pores. The solution will stay fresh for one month in the refrigerator.

apple cider toner

While my skin isn’t necessarily “sensitive”…I live in a very dry area so when I tried this…I used it sparingly. I used it after I washed my face…and before I put moisturizer on. While I didn’t see any NOTICEABLE “brightening” (I’m guessing it takes more than one application)….I did like the way it made my skin feel and will continue to use it (and eventually might be brave enough to try and DRINK it again!) :-)

Are you an apple cider vinegar believer???

Share on Facebook631Tweet about this on Twitter24Pin on Pinterest18,489Google+11

Comments

YES! I am a GREAT believer in ACV and have this very bottle in my kitchen – never without it! I use it in a daily tonic – two teaspoons in a glass of water and swear by it for assistance with sluggish-ness (without going into details…!!) I also use it to condition my hair after washing with bicarb soda. Love the stuff!

• Denise Holtz says

We tried drinking it as well, mixing it into a bottle of water. Unfortunately, it did just the opposite for sluggish-ness for both DH and myself. Also irritated our stomachs to the point of pain, so we had to stop. Not sure why it affected us both that way, but it did. I do use clear ACV in a lot of my cooking, though, and replace white vinegar with it in recipes.

• Bridget says

The reason your and your DH’s stomachs hurt is because you go through a detox when you start to drink it. ACV kills off Candida overgrowth in our bodies (which with a “normal” American diet we all have). What you felt was the Candida is dying off and the detoxification process. It’s not necessarily fun, but you will feel amazing after you get past that.

• Malcolm says

Regular vinegar has been passturized, and has lost a lot of its nuetrants. I keep a glass(not Plastic) of cold water in the fridge, with at least 2 tsps of braggs organic ACV and 2 tsps of honey. You can experiment with this to suit your own taste. It does relieve that tired feeling, and its good for you. ASV and honey are the 2 best natural food and drink you can take.

• niq says

Do you have to use non-coated asprin, because none of the stores around me carry the non-coated ones anymore.

2. Murphy says

What about using this cider vinegar instead of white vinegar in your oily skin cleanser pads? Any reasons not to? Thanks!

• Verna says

Always use apple cider vinegar when it goes in or on your body. Distilled (white) vinegar is not good for you. It is ok for cleaning.

3. Chey says

Jillee try putting your shot of ACV in a small glass of apple juice it is so much easier to take.

4. Kara says

I’ve been using ACV and aspirin plus green tea mixture for a year on my face and it has cleared up my adult acne. Didn’t know it would brighten my face, but now that you mentioned it….. I think you’re right. Another thing that has cleared up my acne is plain old baking soda. Just make a paste and lightly apply to face or back (I needed some help there). Cleared right up!

• Katie says

Hi Kara, can you tell me more about how this worked (and the baking soda paste)? Did it ever feel super drying or irritating, while using it? At the moment, bc I have such sensitive skin, I use the oil cleansing method, which I love and then moisturize with other natural oils. But I’m always interested in other natural tonics and blemish remedies.

• Rose Myrtle says

Hi, Katie,
        I just wanted to tell you that I’ve started using this baking soda paste a few days ago and the first day I felt a tingling feeling the first time I used this, but the second time it was fine, I’m not sure why I felt that, but I have sensitive skin also. I hope it works for you! :)

• Katie says

Thanks, Rose! I will just try it and see. Maybe will report back if I notice positive changes.

• jasmine says

Hi Katie, I wanted to tell you that I just came across a recipe for an acne solution that contains a combination of powdered oatmeal (just regular oatmeal put in the blender), baking soda, and honey. I used it on my face this morning instead of soap and it was great! I have sensitive skin and I think the oatmeal really offset the baking soda. My face feels soft, smooth and not oily or dry today (I also used a moisturizer afterwards). Hope this helps!

Hi Tammy, You are Making Apple Cider Vinegar yourself? WITH the Mother? Have to check this out. I just paid almost $4.00 for a small bottle and am all for saving where possible! Also. FYI I have done an aspirin mask made by disolving aspirin (dollar tree)with water and while at my age no acne I did it to shrink pores, and it DOES!!

5. Marsha says

I like Chey’s idea of mixing ACV with apple juice to drink. I mix about a teaspoon of local, organic honey with some warm water and then add a couple of teaspoons of vinegar to that to drink. The honey adds some healthy properties to the mix and makes the vinegar much more palatable!

6. Terri says

Jillee, you are a wonder! Thank you for your diligence. To drink, I boil cinnamon powder and bottle it when cool. Add a shot to the vinegar.honey mixture and add ice and water.

7. Janet McCord says

My mother swears by apple cider vinegar and drinks it all the time and especially with honey for a cold or a cough. It’s bad to drink I know but you can get used to it…I think. My mom is 87 and still in pretty good health, thank the Lord.

8. Shaine says

Mineral water….could you be more specific? Are you talking about the carbonated kind?
    I love the fact that you photograph your ingredients…labels and all. Makes it so much easier for shopping purposes. No mistakes.
    I’m new to your blog …and loving it.