Homemade Ranch / Bleu Cheese Dressing

All my life (or as long as I can remember) I have been torn between RANCH and BLEU CHEESE dressing. Obviously, I am a fan of both!

When I was a young girl, we used to go to Marie Callender’s and I would mix ranch, bleu cheese and hot bacon dressing on my salads and it was divine!

So when I went in search of a ranch/bleu cheese dressing I could make at “home”, I was surprised there was hardly anything out there! I did, however, manage to find ONE recipe that sounded promising and not only was it PROMISING, it is now my FAVORITE dressing.

So I decided to try it and share it with you!

I did make a few minor changes….so if you try it, I would love to know what you think:

INGREDIENTS
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 pkg. Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing Mix
1/2 to 1 cup blue cheese, crumbled (depending upon your love for bleu! I LOVE bleu!)

INSTRUCTIONS
Mix sour cream and mayonnaise.
Add Ranch Dressing Mix.
Blend Well, add crumbled blue cheese.

Ranch Bleu Cheese Dressing

Can you say wedge salad?  Definitely one of my favorite ways to eat ranch/bleu cheese dressing!

What is YOUR favorite way to serve RANCH and/or BLEU CHEESE dressing??

Share on Facebook103Tweet about this on Twitter1Pin on Pinterest1,911Google+0

Comments

1. Winterflame says

I use either as a steak sauce, very interested in trying this combo. Sounds yummy. Especially good as a steak sauce on roast. Mmmmmm.

2. Rikki says

This looks so yummy! I LOVE wedge salads too…oh man, I could eat them every day (and sometimes I do!). You could also substitute the Mayo and Sour Cream for Greek Yogurt for a lighter version :D You have the best ideas, Jill!

3. Jennifer says

Penzey’s makes a mix that is fantastic and doesn’t contain any of the iffy ingredients that Hidden Valley mix does. We like it better :) I usually use whole milk greek yogurt instead of sour cream.

• Ann Marie says

I love so many of the spices and seasonings from Penzey’s. The Vietnamese cinnamon is better than anything you can buy at the grocery store.

• Sharon says

Just as a side note … I have loved Penzey spices for years. They have THE BEST magazines that they send out (6X per year??) filled with descriptions of the different spices/herbs and wonderful recipes. You should also check to see if there isn’t a store in your “neighborhood”. Back in my Chicago days I would go to their stores and then I moved out west and had to order by mail. I’m now THRILLED to say they have 3 stores in the Phoenix area and I believe that they are growing into more and more locations. It’s nice to have a bit of the Midwest out in the Wild Wild West! LOL

4. Andria says

Jillee- I also love both! My favorite, favorite dressing is at Bahama Bob’s restaurant in Gulf Shores. They recommended mixing either ranch or blue cheese dressing with their house dressing which is balsamic vinaigrette. Heaven! We only go there on vacation and for months I can’t wait to go back to have their salad. They make all of their dressings and both are delicious to start with and it’s only great if you have 2 great dressings to start with. I haven’t found a grocery store dressing that is as good and I haven’t found a balsamic vinaigrette recipe that is as good.

5. SharonK says

My homemade Ranch Dressing:
    1/2 c. mayo
    1/4 c. sour cream
    1/4 c. buttermilk (or more)
    salt & freshly ground pepper
    1/4 t. granulated garlic
    lots of chopped, fresh parsley
    lots of dried dill
    Taste and tweak, but give it a try.
    I’ve never tried adding blue cheese, but I bet it would be wonderful!!

6. KimH says

I’ve been making ranch & bleu cheese just like that forever.. I dont even measure to be honest. If I have real buttermilk or kefir, I’ll add a little bit of that too.. but I rarely have it on hand. Im not a fan of bleu cheese, but m’honey is.. so I’ll keep 2 jars in the frig… One for me, and one aged & bleuy for him. ;)

I like to sprinkle bleu cheese crumbles on my salad then top with ranch dressing. Sometimes bleu cheese dressing is too bleu for me so using the crumbles and ranch dressing works great. I’ve never thought to mix the crumbles into the dressing, though. I’ll definitely try adding it to my favorite ranch dressing recipe. Thanks!

• Rick says

That’s exacatly what came to my mind. When I order wings, I usually order ranch and blue cheese.