Thursday, August 2, 2012

Homemade Ranch / Bleu Cheese Dressing

All my life (or as long as I can remember) I have been torn between RANCH and BLEU CHEESE dressing. Obviously, I am a fan of both!

When I was a young girl, we used to go to Marie Callender’s and I would mix ranch, bleu cheese and hot bacon dressing on my salads and it was divine!

So when I went in search of a ranch/bleu cheese dressing I could make at “home”, I was surprised there was hardly anything out there! I did, however, manage to find ONE recipe that sounded promising and not only was it PROMISING, it is now my FAVORITE dressing.

So I decided to try it and share it with you!

I did make a few minor changes….so if you try it, I would love to know what you think:

INGREDIENTS
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 pkg. Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing Mix
1/2 to 1 cup blue cheese, crumbled (depending upon your love for bleu! I LOVE bleu!)

INSTRUCTIONS
Mix sour cream and mayonnaise.
Add Ranch Dressing Mix.
Blend Well, add crumbled blue cheese.

Ranch Bleu Cheese Dressing

Can you say wedge salad?  Definitely one of my favorite ways to eat ranch/bleu cheese dressing!

What is YOUR favorite way to serve RANCH and/or BLEU CHEESE dressing??

Never miss a good thing!
Receive a daily dose of Jillee + bonus newsletters.

41 thoughts on “Homemade Ranch / Bleu Cheese Dressing

1. Rikki

This looks so yummy! I LOVE wedge salads too…oh man, I could eat them every day (and sometimes I do!). You could also substitute the Mayo and Sour Cream for Greek Yogurt for a lighter version :D You have the best ideas, Jill!

2. Jennifer

Penzey’s makes a mix that is fantastic and doesn’t contain any of the iffy ingredients that Hidden Valley mix does. We like it better :) I usually use whole milk greek yogurt instead of sour cream.

1. Ann Marie

I love so many of the spices and seasonings from Penzey’s. The Vietnamese cinnamon is better than anything you can buy at the grocery store.

1. Sharon

Just as a side note … I have loved Penzey spices for years. They have THE BEST magazines that they send out (6X per year??) filled with descriptions of the different spices/herbs and wonderful recipes. You should also check to see if there isn’t a store in your “neighborhood”. Back in my Chicago days I would go to their stores and then I moved out west and had to order by mail. I’m now THRILLED to say they have 3 stores in the Phoenix area and I believe that they are growing into more and more locations. It’s nice to have a bit of the Midwest out in the Wild Wild West! LOL

3. Andria

Jillee- I also love both! My favorite, favorite dressing is at Bahama Bob’s restaurant in Gulf Shores. They recommended mixing either ranch or blue cheese dressing with their house dressing which is balsamic vinaigrette. Heaven! We only go there on vacation and for months I can’t wait to go back to have their salad. They make all of their dressings and both are delicious to start with and it’s only great if you have 2 great dressings to start with. I haven’t found a grocery store dressing that is as good and I haven’t found a balsamic vinaigrette recipe that is as good.

4. SharonK

My homemade Ranch Dressing:
    1/2 c. mayo
    1/4 c. sour cream
    1/4 c. buttermilk (or more)
    salt & freshly ground pepper
    1/4 t. granulated garlic
    lots of chopped, fresh parsley
    lots of dried dill
    Taste and tweak, but give it a try.
    I’ve never tried adding blue cheese, but I bet it would be wonderful!!

5. KimH

I’ve been making ranch & bleu cheese just like that forever.. I dont even measure to be honest. If I have real buttermilk or kefir, I’ll add a little bit of that too.. but I rarely have it on hand. Im not a fan of bleu cheese, but m’honey is.. so I’ll keep 2 jars in the frig… One for me, and one aged & bleuy for him. ;)

6. Christine

I like to sprinkle bleu cheese crumbles on my salad then top with ranch dressing. Sometimes bleu cheese dressing is too bleu for me so using the crumbles and ranch dressing works great. I’ve never thought to mix the crumbles into the dressing, though. I’ll definitely try adding it to my favorite ranch dressing recipe. Thanks!

7. Bethany B

I make a similar blue cheese dressing using buttermilk and put it on roasted beets for a creamy side dish. I add it to pickeled beets, too, for that matter. Love the combo of the earthy beets with the tangy blue cheese!

8. Lynn

Jill…..my all-time favorite salad dressing is “real” Roquefort, although it can be tough to find the cheese, unless you have a fancy-schmancy grocer in your area. We have Wegmans, and they have EVERYthing! I’ve had this recipe since about 1975, and I’ve never tried anything else that was nearly as yummy. Although it does have 11 ingredients, it’s well worth the trouble. Message me, if you’d like to try it.

9. Roxanne

Ok, this was wonderful! But per someone’s suggestion on here, I tried it with balsamic. I was skeptical at first but decided to give it a try. OH MY! You HAVE to try it!! Soooo good!

Thanks both of you for the GREAT idea!

Roxanne
    Seriously, go try it!

10. Tracy

I have been making my own ranch dressing mix since I figured out the kiddos would eat their veggies as long as this dressing was on the table. I also got tired of purchasing those little packets. I’m sort of a dumper rather than a measurer when it comes to recipes but I use a 50/50 mixture of non fat greek yogurt and mayonaise, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, black pepper and dill. I usually have all these seasonings on hand in my pantry. If you want it more dressing consistency then add a bit of milk until you are happy with it. Refrigerate for a couple of hours before serving to let the flavors meld. With my kiddos grown now I don’t make this nearly as often…think it is time to make some more now.

Thanks for all the awesome ideas you put forth on your blog.

11. Cynthia

Don’t care for Bleu cheese, but I bet this would be wonderful with some crumbled Feta in it! I LOVE Feta! Will try it out and let you know. Thanks for the recipe!

12. Pingback: Store-Bought Kitchen Staples You Can Easily Make Yourself! | One Good Thing by Jillee

13. Steviej Callender

Hiya :) wow! Im from the uk and i have never met anyone with the last name the same as mine :) Sorry to sound excited about Marie Callender, hehe its just one of those little things. This dressing sounds like its will be Beaute, i will make it today :) Thanks

14. Sara

I made this for hot wings
    that I made for my sons birthday party. It seemed to be a hit.
    I think it may e too thick for a salad though. Maybe of you added a couple tablespoons of milk it would be a better consistency for a salad

15. Pingback: Gluten Free Buffalo Chicken Pizza – An Easy Super Bowl Party Recipe! | One Good Thing by Jillee