Monday, August 13, 2012

How to Make a Homemade Gift Box {Video}

make your own gift boxI think I might just start referring to my Monday posts as “A Paper Crafting Party!”

It just seems like Sunday afternoons are the perfect time for a craft project…and I do love working with paper. Nothing too ambitious mind you (not that I ever do ambitious crafts), just something I’ve been wanting to try but never can seem to find time to do during the busy work week.

This simple handmade box is the perfect example.  Cute, simple, and OH the possibilities!

make your own gift box Cute: obviously! :-)

Simple: All it takes it being able to FOLD PAPER! No glue, tape, staples, NOTHING.

OH the possibilities:  They obviously make great little gift boxes or favor boxes, but without the “lids” they would also be great for organizing stuff!  In a desk drawer, on a craft table, on a closet shelf for jewelry!

Now I know all of you are going to want to know how I made these! How could you NOT?? :-)

Well I hate to disappoint…but *I* can’t show you. Well, I COULD, but I have someone else who can show you so much better than I could….

….and she’s only ONE CLICK AWAY.

make your own gift box

This video by Mary Gallagher-Stout on MonkeySee.com is a simple tutorial that takes you through each and every step to making one of these sweet little containers.

One of the things I like about watching craft videos (or any How-To videos) is if they start going too fast I just make them stop while I get caught up. I have the power!  :-)  lol.

Give it a try! It’s pretty cool! ;-)

(Note:  there are 3 videos in all. An option to watch the next one comes up at the end of the first one. Or, if you want to skip to the next one, click on “Related” in the upper right corner of the video box.)

Never miss a good thing!
Receive a daily dose of Jillee + bonus newsletters.

19 thoughts on “How to Make a Homemade Gift Box {Video}

1. Kim

I love those boxes! My mom taught me how to make them when I was kid, and I’ve used them for all sorts of things since.

I actually don’t like how the woman in the video describes how to make them. They are super simple to make, and while she says how simple they are, I feel she goes too fast for someone who has never tried something like this before.

Either way, the boxes are definitely worth the effort of learning how to make them!

2. Kim

Oh and another thing!

The way she makes the tops of the boxes, is really only ideal if you’re using the acetate. The tops are generally made EXACTLY the same way as the bottom by using a slightly smaller (only a couple millimeters) square of paper.

The only reason she made the top that way is because you’d see all the folds if she mimicked the bottom.

3. Cynthia

I swear, Jillee…it’s like you and I are on the same wavelength.
    Just last night, I was browsing YouTube for DIY wedding invitations and ran across MonkeySee videos for the first time. They have some amazing ideas and their instructions are fairly simple and easy to follow. I was impressed by them and will be using one of their basic ideas for my wedding invites!
    Now, thanks to you, I have a brand-new idea for packaging my party favors…which, I still have to decide on. But, these boxes are so darn cute, I think I could stick just about anything in ‘em and folks would be impressed!

4. Rose Myrtle

This is nice! Where can you find that stuff that works as the top. These would be awesome for Christmas! I’m already planning Christmas presents!

1. Jillee Post author

Rose, you can buy sheets of acetate at any office supply store. Look for the transparencies that you can write on with a dry erase market. Or they also sell “clear covers” for binding that work as well.
      Hope this helps! :-)

5. Carole

I made a wedding gift for a friend and I can’t find the type of box I want to use. So I looked online and I found this on Pinterest. But I would like to know the right size paper to use to make a bigger box. (preferably one a coffee mug would fit in)

thanks

1. Jillee Post author

Carole,
      The larger box I made in the pictures was made with a 12×12 inch piece of scrapbook paper. Ends up being a 4×4 inch box. So basically your box will be 1/3 the size of the original piece of paper. I hope that makes sense! :-)

6. Leslie

What does the final size of these boxes turn out to be? She doesn’t say it and I see several different sizes up in your photos. It would be nice to know what you can expect to get out of it, especially if you need a certain size for what you want to fit in! :)

7. Arista

I made one of these adorable boxes to house my Mother’s Day gift. Lovely idea, very simple to make, and they’re so super cute! I found the link via Pinterest, thanks for the share!

Much love.

8. Carrier Bags Wholesale

Cuda Kitchen incurs a carrying cost for this service.
    There are so many options, I’m sure you’ll find
    exactly what you’re looking for and more. Glue a picture to each
    side of a cube of Styrofoam to make a photo display.

The crayon box is a good one when giving children
    coloring books and crayons for Christmas.
    In Word 2007 or 2010, go to the Mailings tab and click on Labels in the Create group.
    You have the freedom to make it personalized and special to something that would complement your loved-one.
    We have a huge collection of gifts for men that you can choose from and make sure that he
    gets impressed with the thought and effort you
    put in to make sure he gets something great on Christmas this year.
    I made gift boxes in the shape of six, eight and ten-sided dice
    because we had a lot of “Dungeons and Dragon” players.

The plants can also make a nice door prize for guests.
    Prior to deciding to buy a box, try doing price comparisons.