How to Make a Homemade Gift Box {Video}

I think I might just start referring to my Monday posts as “A Paper Crafting Party!”

It just seems like Sunday afternoons are the perfect time for a craft project…and I do love working with paper. Nothing too ambitious mind you (not that I ever do ambitious crafts), just something I’ve been wanting to try but never can seem to find time to do during the busy work week.

This simple handmade box is the perfect example.  Cute, simple, and OH the possibilities!

Cute: obviously! :-)

Simple: All it takes it being able to FOLD PAPER! No glue, tape, staples, NOTHING.

OH the possibilities:  They obviously make great little gift boxes or favor boxes, but without the “lids” they would also be great for organizing stuff!  In a desk drawer, on a craft table, on a closet shelf for jewelry!

Homemade Box

Now I know all of you are going to want to know how I made these! How could you NOT?? :-)

Well I hate to disappoint…but *I* can’t show you. Well, I COULD, but I have someone else who can show you so much better than I could….

….and she’s only ONE CLICK AWAY.

How To Make A Homemade Gift Box

Homemade Gift Box – Folding The Bottom

Homemade Gift Box – Final Steps

This video series by Mary Gallagher-Stout on MonkeySee.com is a simple tutorial that takes you through each and every step to making one of these sweet little containers.

One of the things I like about watching craft videos (or any How-To videos) is if they start going too fast I just make them stop while I get caught up. I have the power!  :-)  lol.

Give it a try! It’s pretty cool! ;-)

(Note:  there are 3 videos in all. An option to watch the next one comes up at the end of the first one. Or, if you want to skip to the next one, click on “Related” in the upper right corner of the video box.)

Print Friendly
Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter2Pin on Pinterest8,391Google+0

Comments

1. Lexy says

I can’t get beyond the introductory video that tells what we are making and what tools we need.
    Where are the directions?

2. Abigail says

I have made gift boxes from old cards as well. They are pretty small but great for a little something.

3. Kim says

I love those boxes! My mom taught me how to make them when I was kid, and I’ve used them for all sorts of things since.

I actually don’t like how the woman in the video describes how to make them. They are super simple to make, and while she says how simple they are, I feel she goes too fast for someone who has never tried something like this before.

Either way, the boxes are definitely worth the effort of learning how to make them!

4. Kim says

Oh and another thing!

The way she makes the tops of the boxes, is really only ideal if you’re using the acetate. The tops are generally made EXACTLY the same way as the bottom by using a slightly smaller (only a couple millimeters) square of paper.

The only reason she made the top that way is because you’d see all the folds if she mimicked the bottom.

Good point Kim! Thanks for pointing that out. I meant to say something about that. I didn’t have any acetate on hand, so I had to improvise. :-)

5. Cynthia says

I swear, Jillee…it’s like you and I are on the same wavelength.
    Just last night, I was browsing YouTube for DIY wedding invitations and ran across MonkeySee videos for the first time. They have some amazing ideas and their instructions are fairly simple and easy to follow. I was impressed by them and will be using one of their basic ideas for my wedding invites!
    Now, thanks to you, I have a brand-new idea for packaging my party favors…which, I still have to decide on. But, these boxes are so darn cute, I think I could stick just about anything in ‘em and folks would be impressed!

6. Rose Myrtle says

This is nice! Where can you find that stuff that works as the top. These would be awesome for Christmas! I’m already planning Christmas presents!

Rose, you can buy sheets of acetate at any office supply store. Look for the transparencies that you can write on with a dry erase market. Or they also sell “clear covers” for binding that work as well.
      Hope this helps! :-)

7. Carole says

I made a wedding gift for a friend and I can’t find the type of box I want to use. So I looked online and I found this on Pinterest. But I would like to know the right size paper to use to make a bigger box. (preferably one a coffee mug would fit in)

thanks

Carole,
      The larger box I made in the pictures was made with a 12×12 inch piece of scrapbook paper. Ends up being a 4×4 inch box. So basically your box will be 1/3 the size of the original piece of paper. I hope that makes sense! :-)

8. Leslie says

What does the final size of these boxes turn out to be? She doesn’t say it and I see several different sizes up in your photos. It would be nice to know what you can expect to get out of it, especially if you need a certain size for what you want to fit in! :)

You can make them just about any size! I used 6″ x 6″ squares and ended up with a 2.5″ x 2.5″ box or thereabouts.

Much love.

I made one of these adorable boxes to house my Mother’s Day gift. Lovely idea, very simple to make, and they’re so super cute! I found the link via Pinterest, thanks for the share!

Much love.