How to Make a Homemade Gift Box {Video}

make your own gift boxI think I might just start referring to my Monday posts as “A Paper Crafting Party!”

It just seems like Sunday afternoons are the perfect time for a craft project…and I do love working with paper. Nothing too ambitious mind you (not that I ever do ambitious crafts), just something I’ve been wanting to try but never can seem to find time to do during the busy work week.

This simple handmade box is the perfect example.  Cute, simple, and OH the possibilities!

make your own gift boxCute: obviously! :-)

Simple: All it takes it being able to FOLD PAPER! No glue, tape, staples, NOTHING.

OH the possibilities:  They obviously make great little gift boxes or favor boxes, but without the “lids” they would also be great for organizing stuff!  In a desk drawer, on a craft table, on a closet shelf for jewelry!

Now I know all of you are going to want to know how I made these! How could you NOT?? :-)

Well I hate to disappoint…but *I* can’t show you. Well, I COULD, but I have someone else who can show you so much better than I could….

….and she’s only ONE CLICK AWAY.

make your own gift box

This video by Mary Gallagher-Stout on MonkeySee.com is a simple tutorial that takes you through each and every step to making one of these sweet little containers.

One of the things I like about watching craft videos (or any How-To videos) is if they start going too fast I just make them stop while I get caught up. I have the power!  :-)  lol.

Give it a try! It’s pretty cool! ;-)

(Note:  there are 3 videos in all. An option to watch the next one comes up at the end of the first one. Or, if you want to skip to the next one, click on “Related” in the upper right corner of the video box.)

Share on Facebook58Tweet about this on Twitter2Pin on Pinterest6,142Google+0

Comments

1. Lexy says

I can’t get beyond the introductory video that tells what we are making and what tools we need.
    Where are the directions?

2. Abigail says

I have made gift boxes from old cards as well. They are pretty small but great for a little something.

3. Kim says

I love those boxes! My mom taught me how to make them when I was kid, and I’ve used them for all sorts of things since.

I actually don’t like how the woman in the video describes how to make them. They are super simple to make, and while she says how simple they are, I feel she goes too fast for someone who has never tried something like this before.

Either way, the boxes are definitely worth the effort of learning how to make them!

4. Kim says

Oh and another thing!

The way she makes the tops of the boxes, is really only ideal if you’re using the acetate. The tops are generally made EXACTLY the same way as the bottom by using a slightly smaller (only a couple millimeters) square of paper.

The only reason she made the top that way is because you’d see all the folds if she mimicked the bottom.

Good point Kim! Thanks for pointing that out. I meant to say something about that. I didn’t have any acetate on hand, so I had to improvise. :-)

6. Cynthia says

I swear, Jillee…it’s like you and I are on the same wavelength.
    Just last night, I was browsing YouTube for DIY wedding invitations and ran across MonkeySee videos for the first time. They have some amazing ideas and their instructions are fairly simple and easy to follow. I was impressed by them and will be using one of their basic ideas for my wedding invites!
    Now, thanks to you, I have a brand-new idea for packaging my party favors…which, I still have to decide on. But, these boxes are so darn cute, I think I could stick just about anything in ‘em and folks would be impressed!

7. Rose Myrtle says

This is nice! Where can you find that stuff that works as the top. These would be awesome for Christmas! I’m already planning Christmas presents!

8. Carole says

I made a wedding gift for a friend and I can’t find the type of box I want to use. So I looked online and I found this on Pinterest. But I would like to know the right size paper to use to make a bigger box. (preferably one a coffee mug would fit in)

thanks