Exfoliation…It’s For More Than Just Your Face.

I don’t know about you….but regular exfoliation is one of the most-neglected item in my often-neglected skin regime! I mean I’m not very good about even WASHING my face as often as I should….let alone taking the time to give it a good scrub! But according to health and beauty experts…proper exfoliation is necessary (mandatory even!) to achieve and maintain healthy, glowing skin!

The reason it’s so important is because layers of dead cells dull the surface of your skin. When we exfoliate, the dead cells are sloughed off and new cells are produced to replace them. News cells = healthy glow.

But it’s not just our FACES that need exfoliating…there are places all over our epidermis that can benefit from a good scrubbing!

exfoliation

Lips

Regular exfoliation keeps the lips soft, supple and less flaky, which means your lipstick will go on much smoother. But keep in mind, lips are very sensitive and your regular face scrub might be too rough.

You can use a soft toothbrush or washcloth or you can try a homemade lip exfoliant out of aspirin and fine sugar!  Crush four aspirin and mix with a teaspoon of sugar, a few drops of jojoba oil (or sweet almond oil) and 1/4 teaspoon of glycerin. The glycerin helps the powdered aspirin and sugar to “stick” to your lips while you scrub them.

exfoliation

Neck

It makes sense that if you are exfoliating the skin on your face regularly, you would want to extend it to your neck as well so that the tone of your face and neck match. Since neck skin is also fairly sensitive I would stick with your FACIAL scrub rather than a BODY scrub.

Here’s a trick from 50thavenuesalon.com:  get a cute salt or pepper shaker and fill it with sugar. (I use regular granulated sugar, but I’ve heard good things about organic raw sugar too). Put the container of sugar on your bathroom counter or in your shower, wherever you normally wash your face, and simply sprinkle some into the palm of your hand along with whatever you wash your face with.

exfoliation

Body

Based on the number of BODY SCRUBS I see pinned on Pinterest, I’d say a LOT of you are using them fairly regularly. This is a good thing.  If you use sunscreen or other types of lotions regularly, then exfoliation is important so that your pores don’t become clogged by the ingredients. While there are some good commercial body scrubs out there….I think the homemade scrubs are by far the best! (Not to mention the most economical!)

exfoliation

Armpits

Even if you regularly SHAVE your armpits, they can end up looking dark due to the accumulated residue from perspiration and deodorant or anti-perspirant. Regular exfoliation is necessary to rid the residue and keep the area clean, and may help remove ingrown hair. Once again, since this part of your body is more delicate, use a FACIAL scrub or a loofah instead of your body scrub.

exfoliation

Elbows & Knees

When exfoliating your body, don’t forget to pay special attention to your elbows and knees. Your regular body wash or soap alone just won’t cut it on these more stubborn areas.

exfoliation

Feet & Heels

A much-neglected area. If you get regular pedicures, then you’re probably already getting the exfoliating treatment on your feet. But for those of us who don’t, remember to extend your body scrub to your feet and heels as well. A pumice stone works well on rough heels, but I think a good scrub is SO much nicer!

You might want to try this DIY Hot Salt Scrub recipe from Viva Woman, or you can purchase the original Bliss Hot Salt Scrub online. So nice!!!

exfoliation

Cuticles

Hands in general don’t need much exfoliation because we are always washing them. However, dead skin does accumulate around the cuticles. Since I’ve never been one to clip my own cuticles (I would probably sever an artery if I tried!) I prefer to gently push them back and then use my regular body scrub to get rid of any dead skin buildup. Toes cuticles get the same treatment with foot scrub.

Keep in mind that while exfoliation is important, you don’t need to exfoliate every day.  After all, the purpose is to slough off dead skin cells and if you have already scrubbed them off there is no point in scrubbing further. Too much exfoliation will obviously damage the healthy cells, so keep it to a routine of about once a week.

HAPPY SCRUBBING!

Are you an exfoliating SAINT or SLACKER?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Share on Facebook60Tweet about this on Twitter4Pin on Pinterest20,750Google+1

Comments

Great information! I don’t exfoliate very often but I have started a new dry-brushing regimen. In a nutshell, you brush your entire body with a medium-bristled brush always brushing toward the heart (following the flow of the lymph). It’s said to help the same way that exfoliation does with added benefits of stimulating the lymphatic system, releasing toxins, and helping with circulation.
    I think I will add your suggestion for the sugar shaker to my shower routine.

I think the sugar granules would be too big for a regular salt/pepper shaker. Get the little stubby shaker with bigger holes used for parmesan cheese and red pepper flakes, like you see in pizzerias.

I stopped buying exfoliating products (namely, face wash) a few years ago. Instead I now use a regular washcloth. I use it on my face, arms and legs when I think of it (usually every couple of weeks). I use a pumice stone on my feet almost every day. I also put lotion on my feet after every shower. No icky, crusty heels for me! My hands are another story. They were – until very recently – a hot mess from washing dishes without gloves. It was pure laziness on my part in that I just didn’t feel like taking that extra step to put on a pair of gloves. I finally got tired of looking at my ragged cuticles and decided to do something about it. I remembered that my sister’s nurse (when she was injured at work) mentioned that she uses grapeseed oil on her fingers. I bought a bottle at Walmart for $3.99 (I found it near the cooking oils) and started rubbing it on my nails and cuticles a few times a day. I also rubbed the oil onto my hands. It’s pretty oily but I was desperate. It helped but not as much as I would have liked. A week ago I bit the bullet, pulled out the rubber gloves and started wearing them every time I washed the dishes. I also bought a package of orange sticks to gently (I stress the word gently) push back my cuticles after my shower. The orange stick should only be used after your skin has softened in the water. I’m not kidding – within days of wearing gloves while doing dishes my cuticles have healed. My hands look 99% normal again. (in another day or two I expect them to look fabulous!) One thing to mention is according to everything I’ve read in my quest to have nice hands, is that you should never clip your cuticles. I haven’t touched mine other than to push them back every few days with the orange stick. All the ragged-ness healed itself just by doing the few things I’ve mentioned.

4. Janet says

I use an exfoliating wash cloth every day on my entire body (one for my face/one for my bod), pumice on my heels. No special scrubs or soaps. I am now going to use gloves when doing dishes thanks to Judy’s comment!
    : ) My cuticles are trashed and now I know it’s from not wearing gloves when I do dishes. Love the comments and website!

Janet, glad I could help! Expect it to take a week or two to see results. I have one finger in particular that took the most abuse from dish washing (middle finger, right hand from using a scrubby sponge). That finger still looks a tiny bit ragged but the average person looking at my hands wouldn’t notice it. It looks 100 times better than it did two weeks ago before I started the mission to repair my hands.

6. Andrea says

I disagree with your comment that we don’t need to exfoliate our hands. I use a fancy exfoliant with oil. It was a gift but i don’t want to use it in the shower cause oil+ shower = fall in my house. So I keep it by my bathroom sink and use on my hands once a week. Makes them much softer. (and hands age first on the body so they need lots of help!

Good point Andrea! I guess that’s why I LOVE my Gardener’s Hand Scrub. I never really thought of it as an “exfoliant” before. duh! :-)

8. Kate says

Just wanted to say thanks for all the good things that you share! Also, love the new header look on your website! ( :

9. Sue says

I use sugar mixed with olive oil for my hands. I work with silk and if you have rough skin, they will stick to your hands. I mix it in a jar, more sugar than oil. I read somewhere that sugar was better because if you have any little cuts, salt will sting. You can use it in the shower but have to be careful because the oil can make the bottom of the tub slippery. I use baking soda on my face and body in the shower and then rinse it off and it leaves you skin really soft. I just keep one of those shakers for the baking soda in there. Every so often, I also use it on my hair to remove excess product, then rinse it out and shampoo as normal. I used to cook rosemary leaves into a strong tea and mix with egg whites and use as a face mask, but haven’t done it in awhile. I just remembered it as I was writing this. It was in a book by Helen Gurley Brown, who was famous in the 70′s for cheap remedies for the working woman.