Hydrogen Peroxide Magic!

Hydrogen Peroxide Uses

Ever since I started using Hydrogen Peroxide to get rid of armpit stains, to clean cookie sheets, as a miracle cleaner in my kitchen and bathroom, and to make my own “oxi clean…I ALWAYS have at least one bottle of the stuff under my kitchen sink, under my bathroom sink, AND in the laundry room. This stuff is amazingly versatile!

But it wasn’t until recently, after doing some IN DEPTH research on the subject, that I came to realize what a “miracle substance” hydrogen peroxide really is! It’s safe, it’s readily available, it’s cheap, and best of all, it WORKS! It works for a LOT of stuff!

Hydrogen peroxide should really be called oxygen water, since it is basically the same chemical make up as water but with an extra oxygen atom (H2O2). Because of this it breaks down quickly and harmlessly into oxygen and water.

Some other interesting facts about hydrogen peroxide:

• It is found in all living material.
  • Your white blood cells naturally produce hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) to fight bacteria and infections.
  • Fruit and vegetables naturally produce hydrogen peroxide. This is one of the reasons why it is so healthy to eat fresh fruit and vegetables.
  • It is found in massive dosages in the mother’s first milk, called colostrum, and is transferred to the baby to boost their immune system.
  • It is found in rain water because some of the H20 in the atmosphere receives an additional oxygen atom from the ozone (O3) and this H2O2 makes plants grow faster.

Next to Apple Cider Vinegar, hydrogen peroxide ranks up there as one of the best household remedies.

Besides the obvious (cleansing wounds), did you know that it is probably the best remedy to dissolve ear wax? Brighten dingy floors? Add natural highlights to your hair? Improve your plants root systems? The list goes on and on!

There are SO many uses for this stuff that I’ve started replacing the cap on the hydrogen peroxide bottle with a sprayer because it’s easier and faster to use that way.

uses for hydrogen peroxide

I have compiled a rather impressive list of uses for 3% hydrogen peroxide that I hope will have you as thrilled and bewildered as I was!

In no particular order…….I present…….

Jillee’s Big List of Uses For H2O2:

uses for hydrogen peroxide

Wash vegetables and fruits with hydrogen peroxide to remove dirt and pesticides. Add 1/4 cup of H2O2 to a sink of cold water. After washing, rinse thoroughly with cool water.

uses for hydrogen peroxide

In the dishwasher, add 2 oz. to your regular detergent for a sanitizing boost. Also, beef up your regular dish soap by adding roughly 2 ounces of 3% H2O2 to the bottle.

uses for hydrogen peroxide

Use hydrogen peroxide as a mouthwash to freshen breath. It kills the bacteria that causes halitosis. Use a 50/50 mixture of hydrogen peroxide and water.

uses for hydrogen peroxide

Use baking soda and hydrogen peroxide to make a paste for brushing teeth. Helps with early stages of gingivitis as it kills bacteria. Mixed with salt and baking soda, hydrogen peroxide works as a whitening toothpaste.

uses for hydrogen peroxide

Soak your toothbrush in hydrogen peroxide between uses to keep it clean and prevent the transfer of germs. This is particularly helpful when you or someone in your family has a cold or the flu.

uses for hydrogen peroxide

Clean your cutting board and countertop. Let everything bubble for a few minutes, then scrub and rinse clean. (I’ve been using it for this a LOT lately!)

uses for hydrogen peroxide

Wipe out your refrigerator and dishwasher. Because it’s non-toxic, it’s great for cleaning places that store food and dishes.

sponges

Clean your sponges. Soak them for 10 minutes in a 50/50 mixture of hydrogen peroxide and warm water in a shallow dish. Rinse the sponges thoroughly afterward.

uses for hydrogen peroxide

Remove baked-on crud from pots and pans. Combine hydrogen peroxide with enough baking soda to make a paste, then rub onto the dirty pan and let it sit for a while. Come back later with a scrubby sponge and some warm water, and the baked-on stains will lift right off.

uses for hydrogen peroxide

Whiten bathtub grout. First dry the tub thoroughly, then spray it liberally with hydrogen peroxide. Let it sit — it may bubble slightly — for a little while, then come back and scrub the grout with an old toothbrush. You may have to repeat the process a few times.

uses for hydrogen peroxide

Clean the toilet bowl. Pour half a cup of hydrogen peroxide into the toilet bowl, let stand for 20 minutes, then scrub clean.

uses for hydrogen peroxide

Remove stains from clothing, curtains, and tablecloths. Hydrogen peroxide can be used as a pre-treater for stains — just soak the stain for a little while in 3% hydrogen peroxide before tossing into the laundry. You can also add a cup of peroxide to a regular load of whites to boost brightness. It’s a green alternative to bleach, and works just as well.

uses for hydrogen peroxide

Brighten dingy floors. Combine half a cup of hydrogen peroxide with one gallon of hot water, then go to town on your flooring. Because it’s so mild, it’s safe for any floor type, and there’s no need to rinse.

uses for hydrogen peroxide

Clean kids’ toys and play areas. Hydrogen peroxide is a safe cleaner to use around kids, or anyone with respiratory problems, because it’s not a lung irritant. Spray toys, toy boxes, doorknobs, and anything else your kids touch on a regular basis.

uses for hydrogen peroxide

Help out your plants. To ward off fungus, add a little hydrogen peroxide to your spray bottle the next time you’re spritzing plants.

wet hair

Add natural highlights to your hair. Dilute the hydrogen peroxide so the solution is 50% peroxide and 50% water. Spray the solution on wet hair to create subtle, natural highlights.

uses for hydrogen peroxide

According to alternative therapy practitioners, adding half a bottle of hydrogen peroxide to a warm bath can help detoxify the body. Some are skeptical of this claim, but a bath is always a nice way to relax and the addition of hydrogen peroxide will leave you – and the tub – squeaky clean!

uses for hydrogen peroxide

Spray a solution of 1/2 cup water and 1 tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide on leftover salad, drain, cover and refrigerate. This will prevent wilting and better preserve your salad.

uses for hydrogen peroxide

Sanitize your kids’ lunch boxes/bags.

uses for hydrogen peroxide

Dab hydrogen peroxide on pimples or acne to help clear skin.

uses for hydrogen peroxide

Hydrogen peroxide helps to sprout seeds for new plantings. Use a 3% hydrogen peroxide solution once a day and spritz the seed every time you re-moisten. You can also use a mixture of 1 part hydrogen peroxide to 32 parts water to improve your plants’ root system.

uses for hydrogen peroxide

Remove yellowing from lace curtains or tablecloths. Fill a sink with cold water and a 2 cups of 3% hydrogen peroxide. Soak for at least an hour, rinse in cold water and air dry.

uses for hydrogen peroxide

Use it to remove ear wax. Use a solution of 3% with olive or almond oil. Add a couple drops of oil first then H2O2. After a few minutes, tilt head to remove solution and wax.

uses for hydrogen peroxide

Helps with foot fungus. Spray a 50/50 mixture of hydrogen peroxide and water on them (especially the toes) every night and let dry. Or try soaking your feet in a peroxide solution to help soften calluses and corns, and disinfect minor cuts.

uses for hydrogen peroxide

Spray down the shower with hydrogen peroxide to kill bacteria and viruses.

uses for hydrogen peroxide

Use 1 pint of 3% hydrogen peroxide to a gallon of water to clean humidifiers and steamers.

uses for hydrogen peroxide 31

Wash shower curtains with hydrogen peroxide to remove mildew and soap scum. Place curtains in machine with a bath towel and your regular detergent. Add 1 cup full strength 3% hydrogen peroxide to the rinse cycle.

uses for hydrogen peroxide

Use for towels that have become musty smelling. 1/2 cup Peroxide and 1/2 cup vinegar let stand for 15 minutes wash as normal. Gets rid of the smell.

uses for hydrogen peroxide

Use hydrogen peroxide to control fungi present in aquariums. Don’t worry, it won’t hurt your fish. Use sparingly for this purpose.

uses for hydrogen peroxide

De-skunking solution. Combine 1 quart 3% H2O2, 1/4 cup baking soda, 1 teaspoon Dawn dish detergent, 2 quarts warm water. (See Cynthia’s comment below)

Whew! That concludes MY list (for now at least!)……

What do YOU use hydrogen peroxide for?

Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter323Pin on Pinterest976,507Google+94

Comments

1. Carrie says

I use hydrogen peroxide to remove blood from fabric…even micro suede furniture! Pour a small amount on the stain, let it bubble for a while, then blot gently. Repeat until the stain is gone.

• Amanda B. says

Yes! Peroxide works great as a blood stain remover, even on WHITE (ugh!) Paramedic uniform shirts.

• bebelee says

I thought I was the only one that knew peroxide removes blood stains, completely. I loved reading all these uses that I wasn’t aware of!

• Ann says

Definitely blood removal. Have also used it on the carpet to get out a blood stain. Even dried blood comes out easily!

• Paulette Powell says

Yes,and it gets that old time macurechrome that kind that is red and stains your skin out of your carpet also

• Melissa says

The best part is that hydrogen peroxide will remove blood stains without damaging most fabrics. It does not weaken fabric like chlorine bleach does, and does not damage/remove the colors, either.

• Heidi says

I can’t believe that it would not remove colour…I used the de skunking solution on my black lab…who now looks like a Chocolate lab

• Gail says

Definitely spot test a fabric or carpet in a small area before using. It most definitely CAN remove the color in some cases. I use H2O2 a lot as a cleaner, stain remover, and many other things and swear by it as well. But, be sure to do a test area first!

• Gen says

In this case, it would have “bleached” your dogs fur. One of the tips up there ^^ said how H2O2 can be used to highlight hair – which you ended up doing to your pup. It’ll grow back normal!

• Mojo says

IN ACCOUNT OF HIGHLIGHTING HAIR; I used to go to the salon to highlight my hair and also bought different brands home hair color. I ended up with hair that was destroyed, totally lacking luster and feeling like steel wool! My sister who has severe allergies and really bad exzema had been using hydrogen peroxide for years to highlight her hair since she can’t use anything else, recommended I try. It was nothing short of a miracle! I have not been back to the salon for highlights since and the quality of my hair is perfect! I don’t dilute it but put it in a small spray bottle to spritz or soak my hair. If I want faster results I blow dry my hair after. If you soak your hair it might look a bit un-washed but spritzing will not mess up your do. Actually helps to re-fresh it! The results from one spritz treatment is hardly noticeable, so don’t be afraid to try and experiment. I should also add that another friend who suffers from psoriasis on her scalp also tried it and it works wonders for her too. CONCLUSION: This is a safe alternative for people who have low or no tolerance to chemical products. Go try! :D (oh and you can imagine what a money saver this can be!!)

• Alma says

I was a teenager in the 50′s. and we girls used to take a toothbrush and brush it through your hair, It will make it blonde.

Also, whenever we had a cut, mom immediately poured some on cut, it fizzed and killed germs ., then we put band-aid on.

Guess we forgot about this helper. Everyone had a bottle in the medicine cabinet!

• Alsiha says

You’re not supposed to use peroxide for First Aid anymore. It basically kills the healthy cells around the edges of the wound and prevents proper healing. It’s been found to leave more prominent scars.

• K.K. says

I think you may have HP and rubbing alcohol confused. Rubbing alcohol kills healthy cells, and hp only cleans things up.

I used to work with wound care, and we always preferred hp to alcohol.

• NurseTT says

No, she is correct. Hydrogen Perioxide is no longer recommended for wound healing. It actually kills the healthy cells and delays healing. Evidence based research proves that using this product on wounds does more harm than good. Alcohol is used to sterilize but should be avoided on open wounds as much as possible.

• Villainess says

A scrub with soap and long rubbing rinse with lots of water works great for preventing infections even from most cat bites. Calendula cream gently speeds the healing.

• Brenda says

I still think peroxide is a MUCH better option to many of the things used in wound care centers and hospitals, and certainly better than “hand sanitizers” which are laden with chemicals. I use peroxed for EVERYTHING, including laundry detergent, dishwasher detergent, shampoo, body wash, fruit wash, etc. I use food grade peroxide for any food related things. Good stuff, no “data” would put me off from using it.

• Heather says

Yep, she’s correct. We recently had an ICU patient with horrible tissue damage from using Ho on their wounds.

• Myra L. says

I was in Pet Smart and mentioned using HP for wounds. They told me for the first inital cleansing ok, but no more because it promotes scarring. So you would be be layering scarring everytime after the first cleansing. Never had heard that before. Good info here!! Gotta try the highlighting!!

• Zerah says

Well, I used to use h2o2 in wound care, but then it was determined that it debrided the wound too much, even when rinsed with saline. So we started using saline to cleanse most wounds. There is a real old time treatment called Burroughs Solution which is a form of weak bleach solution. Now there are special cleansers for wound care in medical settings, …but at home I still use h202; after all it is only 3% and it can be diluted. I just make sure to rinse it off after a minute or so. (I think you can get 6% in beauty supply places, but I would never use that on the skin). Another thing that is a good wound cleanser is Listerine because of the Thymol content. I always make sure I have vinegar, h202, Listerine, and chlorine bleach in my cleaning supplies along with some other things and some essential oils. Also Grapefruit Seed Extract is VERY good, both externally and internally; as long as you are not on any meds that contraindicate it. Lavender & Eucalyptus oils are good antimicrobials.

• Gibsongirl says

IF you use over and over on the wound site it will destroy skin cells…………..used in one application to cleanse the wound and it will not slow healing. I grew up with this knowledge and proper use as well as using it now with my own nearly grown family. We have never had any slow healing wounds from use with HP. We use one application and do not repeat (it shouldn’t be necessary anyway). All that we have read online concerning research the use of HP for cleaning wounds and any adverse effects have been in repeated use….check out Mayo Clinic (our health care provider). One application is not going to have an adverse reaction or slow healing. “Horrible skin damage” is from irresponsible use of HP…i.e. repeatedly on the same wound site. There are lot’s of folks who think if it is a good thing in a little way, it’s safe to use in volume! Any natural substance can be abused and caused damage……

• Catherine McGovern says

I work for a veterinarian, and we recommend for basic first aide to use HP on an open wound only once to clean it, as it will, indeed, kill the good bacteria with continued use.

• Jeanne says

Sorry KK you are wrong. I am an RN and have done wound care and HP is a HUGE no no in the medical field now. THe first poster was correct.

• Trae Parker says

I took a “new” jet ski out to the lake as soon as I could & didnt realize that the foam on the deck was dried & old & basically turned into sand paper…only I could find a way to get road rash on a lake…the water was cold & didnt realize the major scrapes on my knee’s and shin til I was out of the water for a bit & then the fact I was in a lake kinda made me worry about infection & bacteria aso when I got back home my boyfriend reluctantly poured HP on both knees & shin & OMG it was like someone took a branding iron to me…..I ended up in the Er with 2nd degree burns & it hurt to move, sleep, bath, everything hurt & I think the HP made the injury go from minor to severe rather quickly…Oh & I am a EMT/Firefighter & really should have know better than to use the peroxide but was freaking over getting an infection because of the lake…

• Sandy says

Forget the hp and alcohol for wounds. Both are damaging to skin cells. A much better (and pain-free) option is colloidal silver solution. You can even drink it. It is anti-microbial and will kill parasites, too. You can also use it as an eye rinse. It will immediately stop eye infections such as pinkeye.

• Gette says

The reason you don’t use H202 on wound care is because it basically dissolves the new scab as it forms, re-opening the wound and bringing you back to square one. It is OK to use immediately for disinfecting on a minor wound, especially in the young–the lyzing of the red blood cells will even help stop the bleeding, as in a minor head wound on a child(they tend to bleed profusely even if they are not serious). However I would avoid using it on the elderly at all, as their skin is very thin and the H202 is too strong.

• Sandy says

The hospital had us use 1/2 peroxide and 1/2 bottled water for wound cleansing daily after my husband’s open heart surgery. They said spritz it and use no other dressing. Worked perfectly.

• Leigh, RN says

Jeanne, I, too, am an RN and I am actually currently employed by a wound care center in Philadelphia. While KK might have had his/her facts a little skewed, so do you. Stating that H202 is a big “no no” in the medical field now is misleading. No, it is not recommended for repeated use on an open wound, that much is true, but but to cleanse the area directly after injury occurs is not really a bad option. After all, many people do not have saline solution in their first aid arsenal. I do not believe that one, single application of H202 on an open wound would cause any harm. It is preferable, at least, to neglecting to cleanse the area at all. For venous stasis ulcers and the like, though, I would perhaps avoid use of H202 altogether, simply because the wound is not generally caused by contact with a bacteria-laden object (like, say, a man falling in the garage and his leg landing on a rake.).

My main point of contention with your comment is that you made the same mistake that so many of our brethren in the medical community make, which is assuming that because you went to school for a few years and have an ‘RN’ after your name, that the average laymen couldn’t possibly know as much as you on any one particular medicinal subject. This simply isn’t true. With information so readily available online these days, patients have become quite knowledgeable, especially where it pertains to themselves and where their family members are concerned.

• Alan says

Like many things in the medical field we, I’ve been an RN for over 22 yrs, go way overboard with “the findings” H2O2 used to clean a dirty wound, rinsed the treated with currently accepted methods is fine. Used with the increasingly rare ingrediant of common sense, many of the old remedies are just as good or better and definatley cheaper than the “new, improved findings”

• Petra says

After reading comments about COLLOIDAL SILVER I have to share my experience with you. I even carry a little spray bottle in my handbag to use in an emergency … sore eyes, paper cuts, tooth ache (yes inflamed tooth) till today have not been to the Dentist, etc. Too many uses to mention. I’m NEVER without it.

• betty says

Back in the day, before we knew better, Hydrogen Peroxide was used to bubble out germs. In fact the more bubbling that went on, the better it was working, or so we thought. Today though, we know that Peroxide actually does more harm than good. It damages the healthy cells trying to heal the wound. It can therefore slow down healing, making the wound stay open longer, which can lead to more infections.

Turns out plain old regular (NOT antibacterial) soap and water work the best. That and letting out own bodies cells do what nature intended them to do.

This is vallid info. I had surgery several years ago and got an infection. When I asked the nurse about using peroxide on the wound she told me about the ill effects of it on wounded skin. She said they (the surgeons) don’t even keep it in the office.

Hydrogen peroxide should be used on the injury immediately aftre it has happened. then you shouldn’t use it again. It will destroy the new cells produced during the healing process.

• Brigit says

Our doctor told us not to use it on cuts any more. It does kill the healthy cells. Actually, both HP and Rubbing Alcohol will destroy the healthy cells. He said just use good old fashion soap and water to clean a wound.

• Carol says

Definitely know that hydrogen peroxide on a wound will kill good cells as well as bad ones. My husband burned his leg in a motorcycle incident. We cleaned the wound with hydrogen peroxide to keep it clean and from infecting. The wound got worse instead of better to the point that my husband ended up going to the hospital to get the wound treated. After debriding the wound, the small burn was now a gaping hole in his ankle that was large enough to place a golf ball completely inside of. The hospital told us that the hydrogen peroxide was the cause of the tissue damage. That lesson cost us $5,000. and put my husband out of work for 3 months while he was on a vacuum pump to close the wound.

• Carol says

Sounds like you REPEATEDLY used it, not just once to clean out the debris, as MANY have said here: if you use it ONCE and even DILUTE IT 50/50 with water, it does no harm! USING IT REPEATEDLY is what causes the harm, by destroying the tissue that is ‘rebuilding’: there IS no rebuilding 30 seconds after it happens!

But, hey, if those of you who were admonished not to use it EVER on wounds: DON’T. Those of us who know that using it initially, then not again, is ok, we will continue.

• Vicki says

No it does damage the good cells needed for healing. It inhibits the glandular tissue needed to close a wound smoothly.

• Toby says

Nah, I don’t have any permanent scars and trust me…….my mama used it on us girls all the time and I was the one with all the cuts and scraps, etc.

• Joan says

You are right it destroys cells and drives the infection in. It was used for gingivitis and was no longer recommended.

• Faye says

Funny, a periodontist just ordered my boyfriend to use it gingivitis and mouth urlcers. Sounds like the God’s of Pharmaceuticals are at work protecting their wares.

• Meg says

Sounds more like a poor periodontist. There is a plethora of research that supports the discontinued use of hydrogen peroxide for use on tissue. It slows healing, and destroys healthy tissue. For folk that have had no adverse effects, good for you, you were lucky! I have been cautioned to not use peroxide by dentists and oral surgeons for more than 15 years. As a nurse, I have not used it in wound care for nearly as long, thanks to evidence based practice, not the God’s of Pharmaceuticals. (Google “evidence based practice”).

• Jane Cantoni says

I am an RN and have been using hp for many years diluted with normal saline. I have NEVER seen problems with it. We do, however, have a bevy of drug reps trying to sell us expensive wound care products . Wound care studies are heavily influenced by this industry.

• Joani says

It has been many decades since HP was not recommended, as they said pushed bacteria deeper.
        My Dad was a dentist, but died 50 years ago.

• D. Goodin says

I dont think this is true about peroxide. HP is one of the safest to use with no burning or pain for children. I have used it for years and will continue to do so. Now I’m learning so many more uses.

• VLG says

I wouldn’t say it is painless for children. It works to kill the germs, but it always hurt when I was a kid. I think all kids are different.

• Joani says

It damages hair when used for dyes and bleaching and the more use the more damage —so why would it not damage skin ? Why do you think it removes blood or pus?

• Gette says

H2O2 cannot “push the bacteria deeper” as it is a natural antiseptic. However the main problem with using it in follow up wound care (as opposed to initial wound care) is that it dissolves the scab that is forming (which is nature’s own bandaid or sealant to keep out germs while a wound is healing). It’s OK to use it in initial wound care, at the 3% solution, on the young. On the elderly I avoid it completely, but it would be OK to use it in a very diluted solution for rinsing purposes in initial wound care only. Elderly people’s skin is very thin and fragile and H2O2 is too strong (causes red blood cell to lyse).

This lysing of the red blood cells, by the way, is the reason that Hydrogen Peroxide is so effective in removing blood stains from fabric and other surfaces. It works better and more effectively on unlysed cells–this is why you do not use hot water to rinse the blood out first as the heat causes some of the red blood cells to burst (lyse) and renders the H2O2 ineffective.

• linda says

we learned not to use hydrogen peroxide for first aide anymore too. in fact, i have a government licenced daycare and if that’s found in our first aid kit, it gets written into the report. we’re only allowed to use soap and water mixture, as the hp will kill live cells. secretly, i still use it for a mouth infection if i get one, as years ago that’s what the dentist told me and it worked great..

• Penny says

You are partially right. You can clean a wound initially ONCE and then DON’T put the peroxide on again because it will then kill the new growing cells. (I learned this in the hospital).

• Maria says

We stopped using HP in schools for that reason. Soap and water to clean abrasions/cuts. We don’t use alcohol either.

• SandyL says

The treatment of choice when I was growing up was to soak wounds in very warm salt water for 10-15 minutes. Once the salt is dissolved in water there is no sting, the warmness helped speed up circulation while the salt drew any bacteria and badness out. I even used this on deep puncture wounds (I had a bad habit of stepping in things).

So now that we know that hp is bad for open wounds, is there any new data on using salt water soaks, too?

• Tina says

Oh no I missed that memo. Glad i was parousing Pinterest to stumble upon this article and find your post.

• ED says

still use it but dilute it never had a scar, but now I use Vodka and found its works great, and I always have it around.

• Cori says

Actually, this has been found to be untrue. Hydrogen peroxide is beneficial when used on surface wounds and some hospitals even use it for puncture wounds. It actually creates LESS scarring than other wound cleansers.

• Nancy says

I don’t care what they say about this. In junior high school in the middle of our volleyball tournament I cut the palm of my hand. It became infected and had a dime sized pustule with red streaking. I was afraid to tell my mom(dumb I know) because I figured she would take me to the doctor and I wouldn’t be able to play. My gran told me to use the peroxide. I still remember the bubbly and by the evening the streak was gone. It took a few days but greatly reduced the pain and we won our championship with a killer serve from my peroxide cured right hand!

• sharon says

I was also a teen in the 50′s and my sis and I would dose our hair with H2O2 and then sit in the sun. Those were the days!!

• Ginger says

Very interesting to hear about the exzema on th scalp. My husband has been horriblely plauque with terrible exzema on his scalp is only getting worse. So, I am interested in finding out some more information from you, if you can help. So, do I basically rub this on to his scalp,right? And how long do we leave it on him? Will this really lighten his hair at the same time because he has really dark brown hair. I am really interested in finding out mrore, because it is so bad,that he is starting to lose his hair because it covers his whole scalp so thickly that new hair can not grow back in where thick clumps would come off and leave nasty oosing sores on him where it cames off. Please, any more information would be gratefully appreciated. Thank you! ~G

• keolii says

my sister has very sensitive skin on her scalp and recently started using a baking soda and water solution to wash the hair and apple cider vinegar for conditioning. has done wonders for maintaining the health of her hair, creating more volume and causing zero irritation to her skin. i would recommend! you can probably google for exact solution mixture recipe.

• Tena says

I do this, and it’s not much of a recipe; more of a hit & miss. If your hair feels funny after a wash, you adjust the amount of baking soda up or down. And if you are new to this, it may take up to 4 weeks before your hair stops looking oily, but once you hit that mark, it is wonderful! I’ve been doing this for about a year now, and it is fast and easy. Using the baking soda solution, you rub into your scalp more than your hair. Rinse with water, use the vinegar/water solution to really rinse the scalp & hair, rinse with water again, and you’re done. The vinegar smell disappears very quickly as it dries, and my baby-fine hair has not had ANY split ends at ALL! I grew my hair long to donate to Locks of Love, and hardly even had any tangles after washing it like this. I have had use shampoo a couple of times: my masseuse likes to use a lot of oil, and gets it in my hair, and I just wasn’t able to get a lot of it out with the baking soda/vinegar wash, but it quickly rebounds once back on the BS/V wash. Good luck!

• GWiltz says

That sounds very similar to my sons symptoms. He has seborrheic dermatitis. Your husband may find that a dermatologist.
        I was told to have him was his hair daily with medicated shampoo like Neutrogina 2 in 1 shampoo/ conditioner but what really helps is putting a prescription strength cortisone medication on any open soars in the scalp. Use it very spairenly, because to much it to often can worsen. Good luck.

• GWiltz says

• Lea says

I have also had friends say they use coconut oil and a capsule of coconut oil and it has helped with her husbands exzema. And I use coconut oil on my skin as a lotion. I have problems with regular lotion. And my skin has never felt better.

It sounds to me like a symptom of systemic Candida. I had horrific symptoms of all kinds, and it started on a patch of skin on my hand, and continued popping up in other places, and once I learned with the help of my Naturopath that yeast was the cause, I started down the road to healing it.

Now my food allergies are gone, seasonal allergies are gone, I no longer have joint pain, and my digestive health is better.

I’m developing a website to make growing probiotic food at home easy, and will also (eventually) have a section for Candida. Probiotic food (not pills) is essential to recovery.

Contact me if I can be of more assistance to you.

ProbioticJar.com

I was wondering about this .. I was diagonsed with RA 20 years ago and have been on some heavy meds.. 3 months ago said that I might have RAlung. as well as my Kidney is affected.. so I stopped most of the meds and feeling better but still have some pain especially in the morning.. and tonight as well my hands .. I still work.. but it is getting harder.. thanks for your info..

• Karen says

Am interested in more info. Have digestive probs & unexplained joint pain. Your post caught my attention. Thx.

My son had mild eczema on his skin & was prescribed cortisone cream by his allergist, which didn’t help very much. I tried using A & D cream on it a few times a day & that cleared it up after a few days. I’d try A & D before I’d try HP. It won’t bleach his hair & I think it would be more gentle on his scalp too.

• Ann says

Dairy products exacerbate eczema, didn’t know I had it until I saw a Functional Physician who did allergy tests and recognized the eczema. Cut out all but hard cheeses, except for an occasional treat, it clears right up, if I have too much, it comes back.

• Joanne says

I use to have very bad acne that continued well into adulthood. After several treatments by both GPs and dermatologists that included hormone therapies and Roaccutane. (once when I was 20 and again at 31, which I believe caused some liver damage at the time). Despite all these treaments nothing helped.

At 34 I met a friend who told me to try something that he called a “heal-all”. He told me to dilute 10ml of 3% hydrogen peroxide in 2 litres of water and have half a glass of this water every day until I feel that I don’t need it any more. At first I thought he was crazy and everyone else told me that I would be out of my mind to DRINK peroxide, but I was at the end of my rope, so I tried it.

After a month of drinking this solution as he advised my skin had cleared, with the occasional breakout here and there, but after the 3rd month my face, chest and back was completely clear. It is now 6 years later and the I have not looked back since. I think my body reached a balance after the 4rd month when I felt that I didn’t need it any more and I stopped drinking it on a daily basis.

The “side effects” are also quite remarkable. I flet more energized, clear and best of all my allergies (dust and animal hair) were so much better.
        I’m not saying that it will work for everybody, but I wished that I this advice 20 years ago, it would have saved me loads of tears and scars.

• Chris Rossi says

Joanne
        You are diluting the 10 ml of HP to the point it is basically water but if you accidentally drink a little stronger concentration of HP it could kill you and has killed many people with an oxygen bubble in the blood. You know it’s OK to challenge the research that comes from universities and medical research hospitals but don’t dismiss the research. It has more truth than antidotes from people who try something a few times. Legitimate research facilities have tools like scanning tunneling microscopes that allow them to look at a process in much more detail. They also have peir reviews that allow other professionals to challenge their claims. Regarding your advise people will naturally think “if 10 ml helps a littlemaybe 20 ml helps more”. I know you have good intentions but be careful doling out advise, you could kill somebody.
        Chris

• April says

Hi Chris,

When I was in my 20′s I was trying to unclog my ear using HP and left a 1/2 cup of HP in a cup on my bathroom sink. In the middle of the night I wandered into my bathroom then drank the leftover HP thinking it was water. Now fully awake and realizing what I drank I called poison control and they said there was nothing to worry about even if I drank a whole bottle of HP the worst that would happen would be diarreah but 1/2 cup ensures I have a clean colon.
        I am sure some folks will read my post and think what the..this has to be made up.I assure you the story is real and I can be that foggy when I am waking up.

• Pat says

10 ml is a very small amount in that much h2o. I don’t think it could hurt you. I’m so glad you found something that helps. I’ll tell my daughter. she’s mid 30s and still has bad breakout.

• April says

My son has the same thing as your husband. It might sound strange, but we found a tip to spray his scalp after showers with Listerine (the original gold color one). it has worked great so far. we’ve been doing this for a few months now and the scab like this on his scalp are almost completely gone.

• Pat says

old Listerine ads use to say to you is on the scalp for dandruff treatment too (in the 1920s & 30s). Of course back then they told women to douche with Lysol, too!

• Martha Lucia says

My son gets bad eczema on his head and I use Melaleuca’s tea tree oil shampoo on it. It helps so much-I don’t use any other shampoo on him.

• Pat says

Trader Joe’s sells a Tea Tree Oil shampoo, too. very effective and much, much cheaper!

The best think for scalp is listerin in flavored. Works awesome a littleredness gfor 30 mins but clears right up ears face scalp.

• Barry says

Ginger, I know your husbands pain. I have Morgellons and am having major scalp broblems and now I am starting to lose it as it gets choked out. If you find anything, please let me know.
        Good luck!
        Barry

• Barbra says

DON’T rub it on your husband’s hair unless he is naturally a platinum blonde. It will bleach his hair. It’s the active ingredient in many blonde hair dyes for a reason. Plus it turns hair into straw.

Once long ago in middle school a girl in my class with long dark hair got lice. Her mother poured HP on her scalp to kill the lice and it bleached it horribly. That girl had to live with it too, her mom wouldn’t dye her hair back.

it will bleech you hair fast. My daughters has exma in her hair and the dr gave her a fungus shampoo that helped. when it starts to flare i went to the dollar tree and got some fungus cream and it helps alot.

• johnathon says

it will turn the hair a yellow color… but it might work… i would try using Eucerin dry skin calming body wash too. Also anything for psorisis

• Dawnelle Carroll says

I have Suffered with Psoriasis for 20+ years with it covering 85% of my body. It can be extremely painful and uncomfortable. I have tried just about every treatment known, from natural to prescriptions.
        What most people do not understand about Psoriasis is that it comes from within our system. People with it have a high white blood count which we produce 8-10 faster than a person with normal skin. therefore the white blood cells which are our healers and skin builders over produce and over react causeing dead skin to build up. If you get a cut or scrape it usually turns right into Psoriasis quickly. Stress, Illness, lack of sunlight, damp rainy areas, sun burns can cause flare ups on the skin.. Try and lower you stress level by destressing your life as much as possible.. it truly helps. Hydrogen peroxide will help fellow Psoriasis suffers with cuts, fungus under nails, scalp, etc..as our body can handle it killing all the extra.. We already suffer from permanent scaring due to this skin condition. For severe scalp suffers I recommend applying an oil to the scalp by taking small sections at a time and follow the part line at the scalp with the oil you choose. I use to use baby oil back in the day. When finished use a shower cap to cover the head and leave on several hours 4-8.( I would do this at night and sleep with the cap on and cover my pillow with a towel so it would not damage it, then wash it out in the morning.) Use a clarifying shampoo to help get the oil out of the hair. Use a fine tooth Comb like stylist use and gently comb through hair dragging comb across the scalp until all off. Be careful not to cause bleeding to the scalp, add oil to the stubborn areas while finishing the rest. Your scalp will be sensitive after but feels so good, like your scalp can breath again, plus it helps the hair get moisture it lacks due to the low oil production caused by Psoriasis.. I have many more answers to ease other suffers, feel free to ask

• monica says

I have used HP to remove mildew from clothing. My son brought home clothes from camp that had been repacked while damp. Worked wonders!

• Martha Judge says

I use a shampoo that I got in CVS calledT/SAL. I wash my hair in the shower first thing…leave it on while you finish showering…then rinse. i was also losing my hair from the clumps of dry skin on my scalp (I have scoriasis and excema) but the hair is growing back and a lot less is falling out.

• Debbie B says

My son have very bad eczema on his scalp as a young child. The doctors tried everything to no avail. My mother told me to use wheat germ oil. I was very skeptical but it worked and I noticed a difference in less that a week. Rub it on, leave it on awhile especially if just sitting around the house. Do it everyday. My sons head was healed. The doctor was amazed the next visit which was a month away. he now has a full, beautiful head of hair. Good Luck.

• Joy2U says

I’ve had the degree of eczema you describe. My arms felt like alligator hide. A wonderful nurse told my daughter, “My baby had eczema.. Tell your mom to get Safe Guard soap.” I would never consider using such strong soap on my skin, and, at first I had to lather up outside of the shower because the smell made me sneeze… BUT, it worked! I had to wash once a day for a long time. But if you are persistent… I think the bacteria on the skin adds a lot to the itching and the soap kills the bacteria. I still use this soap. But today I have only small problems with eczema. I hope this helps! I’m sorry your husband suffers… that is hard.

• Nell says

I have eczema on my scalp sometimes and Nizerol is the only thing to take it away! It’s a shampoo and quite expensive but it work awesome!! I want to try the HP but I have dark hair I don’t want to lighten. Will a diluted solution help?

• Ra says

Look up candida on skin and scalp from candida overgrowth/ candidiasis. I’m 24 and had acne since I was 16. I had all these symptoms of multiple sclerosis, fatigue, acne that nothing would cure, my hair started to fall out due to scalp “acne”. My tongue was white “oral thrush”. I found out it was candida overgrowth. Doctors won’t normally diagnose people with it unless they have an autoimmune disease but antibiotics and a lack of probiotics causes it. I did the humaworm candida detox (but I made my own rather than buying theres) and I cut out sugar and carbs for about a month and increases probiotics in my diet (would buy kefir that contained like 12 probiotics and would drink one every other day). I also did a colon cleanse. And took small amounts of diatomaceous earth. My life immediately changed. My skin healed dramatically, my hair started to grow back. I was not tired anymore and felt like how I felt when I was a kid. I was so shocked because I had no idea how horrible I was until I actually healed. I feel so great. I got back to eating carbs and sugars but I make sure I limit it and take in more probiotics like yogurt or cabbage rejuvilac because I never want to experience living like that again. My brain fog is gone. It’s amazing how your digestive tract is 80% of your immune system. Read more about this on curezone. Com. You will be surprised. Don’t let him take antibiotics and try naturally healing it. Iv been to doctors over and over taking antibiotics and it would temporarily help it then come back worse.

• Sue says

I have a Chocolate lab (Sadie). Used to have two, old age got our male (Hershey). We love ours with all our hearts, so Congrats to you on your Chocolate. LOL! :)

• Dawn says

Hi, I’ve used the deskunking solution for years. It works great because you actually neutralize the chemical in the skunk spray. I too turned my black German shepherd brown but the result were worth it. When she blew her coat a few months later her beautiful black fur was back to normal.

On a side note it doesn’t get rid of the smell 100% but it makes them smell like they got sprayed two weeks ago instead of that day. The sooner you treat the animal the better the results and use only a fresh bottle of peroxide.

• Marsha Kelly says

Our dogs are always getting skunked and rather than changing your dogs hair color, keep a bottle of cheap hair conditioner around. Rub the dog down with it, leave for a few minutes and rinse. The smell is gone! Works better than anything we have ever tried!!

• Celeste says

This is my go to solution for our annual dog de-skunking. It’s the difference between them being banned to the outside, and being able to come in the house. If you put your nose in their fur, you still smell the remains, but a second go the following day usually tames even that down. I have recently discovered the multiple uses of hydrogen peroxide. I put it in all laundry that isn’t dark to brighten and make it smell fresh. I can be used on carpet stains—just spray straight on and the stain just ‘evaporates’ . Great post.

• Sally says

I guess if it will give natural highlights to human hair, it would do the same for an animal!! :-)

• shelbey says

yes your puppy’s fur is much like your hair..if you use it on ur hair it will lighten it and if you use it on your puppy ( and not get it all washed out) will for sure lighten his “hair” :)

• alyssa says

The H2O2 does not discolor fabric. The H2O2 is also used as a hair bleaching solution. It kills the skunk smell while giving your dog (in this case) a free hair lightening job. They use this in salons to give people blonds highlights. It is not permanent.

• kathy says

You do have to be careful with dark colors. I used it on blue jeans my husband bled on. I lightened the area slightly, but not enough to be noticeable unless you are looking for it.

• johnathon says

that is because you used it on hair… hence the natural highlight solution

• Shannon says

Well it works as a natural hair hi-lighter, don’t worry he will have black roots soon. Unless you don’t want his roots to show just keep using the peroxide too cover them. :D

• diana says

Hi, I use to live where their were a lot of skunks and had a little white dog who got sprayed allll the time, usually twice a week. I washed him in tomatoe juice, worked great but was creepy having a little red dog

Yep! As a doula/midwife assistant, we have our clients put this in their home birth kit. Works like a charm to get blood out of even light-colored carpet.

Was about to add this exact same tip on using hydrogen peroxide to remove blood stains – something I learned when I was at an all-girls high school and someone was always having an “accident.”

Thanks for this list, really enjoying your blog!

• Kaylee says

Peroxide is also GREAT for getting mulberry stains out, I have several trees and they taste wonderful, but boy do they turn your fingers dark purple, not to mention if you get any on your clothes – bleach won’t touch these stains. So I was thrilled when I tried peroxide to find it worked like a charm.

• ann says

what is the safest way to remove blood from leather without damaging the leather ????????????? ty

• Ken says

add a little salt to the h202 helps in cleaning the blood. Have also used on coffee stains.

• Diane says

Carrie~~Thanks so much for the great tip! I have micro-suede furniture that has seen better days! LOL I will most definitely try your tip. Thanks so much for sharing!

2. Penny Hannah says

I’ve always known peroxide was a wonder liquid, but there were one or two things in your list there I had forgotten about. I wonder why municipal water suppliers wont use it for purifying water instead of adding loads of chemicals? – too simple and cheap I suspect.

• Heather says

My husband works for a waste water plant – and they do use it for odor and sulfide control at the lift stations. As far as using it within the plant itself — it would adversely effect the “ditch” which is full of beneficial bacteria and other bugs to “eat” the solid waste that comes into the plant via the sewer system. Not sure about fresh water into the drinking supply though. I would have to ask more questions. I personally wouldn’t want to drink water with peroxide in it -and it probably wouldn’t be cost effective to remove the peroxide prior to sending it from the water plant out to the homes. Water isn’t simply pulled from sources and sent directly to homes in city water systems – it has to be treated to an extent as well before chlorine is added to keep it from growing new bacteria. If you live in a small city/township – you may be able to tour both water and waste water facilities to see how they process it before and after it’s in your home. It’s very informative and much “cleaner” than most people would think. The water that is discharged from the plant my husband works at supports a creek that is full of fish! They love to show off the creek to the inspectors that come in periodically for audits.

• Rob says

Hydrogen Peroxide dissociates. H2O2 -> H2O and O. O2 and O3 are created. This is used to kill bacteria that are anaerobic (live in oxygen deprived environment). These are the bacteria that give off that wastewater smell. H2S + 2 O2-> H2SO4

• Doc says

Thus it vanishes from the water. Chlorine is very toxic too – it was one of the gases used in WWI trench warfare.

• Leah says

Like many things in life, something which is toxic in condensed/large quantities can be perfectly safe in small quantities. Most people can quite happily swim in a chlorinated pool with no problems but obviously chlorine gas is awful. A little bit of chlorine in your water isn’t going to kill you. The amount of fat, salt, sugar etc in the rest of our diet is probably more of a problem than the chlorine in your water.

• shalom says

Even the little bit left in the water does cause cause problems over time. My doctor recommends drinking chlorine-free water as part of diabetes control as well as other health issues. My mom would get out of the shower all red due to the chlorine. When I was in photography in high school we had to let water sit so the chlorine could evaporate before using it to develop film in. Now some cities (like mine) use chlorimine which is just as bad, but it doesn’t evaporate out. It is harder to get out.

• Joani says

Chlorine needs to be evaporated out of water used for aquariums— let it sit 24 hrs. Vinegar or lemon juice will help remove from the glass of water you drink. Alkaline products make chlorine last longer [used for hair bleaching along with HP] I am sure how to remove chloramine other then a charcoal filter or something to remove chemicals.
        “Chloramine
        Chemical Compound
        Chloramines are derivatives of ammonia by substitution of one, two or three hydrogen atoms with chlorine atoms. Monochloramine is an inorganic compound with the formula NH2Cl. Wikipedia
        Formula: NH2Cl
        Molar mass: 51.48 g/mol “

• jennifer says

chlorine in your water isn’t going to kill you today, but there are most definitely hazards to using it over the span of your life. People think that if it’s in small doses, its OK. Would you take small doses of cyanide? Arsenic? No! We as citizens of this earth, need to stand up to our government official and DEMAND that they take our health more seriously!!

• Kaylee says

Actually chlorine IS pretty bad for us, I have hypo thyroid and Chlorine and bromide are two chemicals which adversly affect the thyroid. I was ok when I was on well water, but when I moved and was on municpal water I got sicker and sicker and after 12 years of unexplained problems was finaly DX’s with thyroid, 7 nodules and a goiter.

• Vicky says

Actually I do take arsenic daily. So does hundreds of thousands of others. It’s found in blood thinning medications. Cardiac patients and people with genetic blood disorders that cause blood clots continue to live due to small quantities of arsenic daily. Arsenic and Cyanide are both also found in many popular fruits. Avocados, peaches and apples I am sure contains these naturally occurring chemicals. General rule…if it has a pit or seeds you will most likely find these chemicals near the seeds.

• Lynne says

I read a report just a couple of years ago where they did find that chlorine in our water is causing bladder cancer. It accumulates in our bladders over time. Even just taking showers in chlorinated water gets into your bladder. So you can imagine what a chlorinated pool is doing. A lot of people we know with backyard pools are going with the salt water pools. My husband cannot swim in a chlorinated pool. The chlorine affects his breathing and his eyes. If the water is not chlorinated, he doesn’t have any problems. If the pool is indoors (like at the YMCA), I have trouble breathing just standing in the room, not getting in the water. At home, we filter our water. If we go somewhere, we take water from home with us.

• Pat says

That Chlorine was Chlorine Gas. Mix bleach and ammonia and you get chlorine gas. Nasty stuff. I know from personal experience that if you put chlorine water and ammonia water in side by side sinks…..you also make chlorine gas when the fumes mix. You don’t do that more than once.

• Shannon says

I think the reason it is not used in water treatment and chlorine is, is because you need to have residual chlorine in the water so that any bacteria/ others are killed along the way in the pipes that are used for distribution. hydrogen peroxide breaks down too fast and you won’t have any of it left in the water by the time it reaches your house, so it will be more likely to have bacteria/others floating around.

3. Shirley says

Back in the day when I was a nurses aide I was the clued into this special product- peroxide. It does take out protein stains out good. Now I work in hotels and I find that white ivory type soap and cold water works for sock stains.

4. Tanicka says

I have also used it as a stain pre-treat and cleaning booster when steam cleaning my carpets. Works great on the “it wasn’t me” stains from my kids and dogs. **Note: Color test in a small out of sight spot before using on the rest for discoloration in your carpet!!

• Jackie B says

I have tried that and really soaked it. When the carpet was dry and I stuck my nose (yes I did!) down to the carpet, I still smelled the dog urine. I have researched and researched and you have to use enzymes to totally and completely get rid of the dog (or cat or human) urine. Enzymes completely break it down and then you can vacuum it up after it has completely dried. Enzymes are tiny little organisms that “eat” the urine and then the die and you can vacuum them up. You can get the stain from the urine out quite easily, the smell is another thing. Most any product can get the stain out. Also, the enzymes must get down into the padding and even the subfloor if you dog really did a number on it. The enzyme formula has to stay wet long enough to work and sometimes that may be a few days. You can put plastic wrap over the area that has been treated with the enzyme formula. I use SCOE10x. It is expensive and I have yet to find ANYTHING that works besides this product.

• Jennifer says

I swear by a product called Bac-Out by Biokleen. I have used it for years, and it’s awesome! When one of my dogs has an accident, I soak up the urine, then pour some of this enzyme cleaner on it, let it sit a couple of minutes, then soak it up. Done! Scent is GONE! I have found so many things this stuff is good for. I use it for sour towels or just as a “febreeze” on the furniture. Biokleen’s products are all great!

• Villainess says

BacOut and SCOE10x are not made from organisms that eat things! (Jackie’s comment.)

Enzymes are non-living biological molecules that help speed metabolic conversions (building or breaking down the molecular forms of atoms). All cells/organism make them from their DNA and depend on them for life processes and we can use some to break down the offending molecules in cat piss, a very stinky and enduring biological product.

After trying peroxide & baking soda,natures miracle Bissells pet stain & odor removal,& many other cat urine removal products fron pet stores & catalogs, I finally got smart & asked my veterinarian what they used!
        They told me about The Equalizer made by Vetoquinol out of Fort Worth,TX.It removes organic stains & odors such as vomit,feces,urine,fresh blood,food,etc. Of course you pick up any solid material first.It uses enzymes to do the trick
        You simply spray on until stain is totally covered,spot will be gone in seconds.Blot up excess liquid, wait 24 hours to see if a 2nd application is needed. I have a dog who vomits,leaving colored stains, a rescued big Norwegian Forest cat that was urinating over the top of his high litter box,I since made my own from huge storage totes.
        The odor where his urine had leaked out was still there by odor after 5 years. I used the equalizer & it was gone.
        I’m now getting new carpet & flooring & I was told if the floor under the od carpet & pad has a smell to paint it with an oil based paint to seal in the scent.I’m also getting a Stainmaster carpet pad underneath with a waterproof barrier & antimicrobial agents sprayed into it so it will eat up with enzymes any stains that may happen as my pets age.

• Julie says

Would you be willing to share a pic of your litter box solution? My cats were either missing the box or going right beside it and I’ve no clue why. I’ve started looking into new boxes (currently using medium storage Rubbermaid type bins), and I’d love to know what you found to help.

Our cat will not go into a litter box with litter that “smells” good to us. If I use the more expensive litter brands she will not use it. I buy the cheap stuff that comes in big bags and she always uses her box. My DIL googled this information after our cat started not using her box and sure enough it was the reason why. Last week I had to buy the good smelling stuff at Walmart as I didn’t get to the store to buy the cheap stuff and the cat used the floor instead. I bought the cheap stuff and covered the good smelling brand as i did not want to waste it and she used it. just a heads up on why your cat may not use its litter box.

• Diane says

Hello to everyone, especially ones with a cat. By using cat litter that has an added fragrance, you are inviting bladder/kidney infections to your cat. It’s the way they lower themselves to the litter. It won’t prohibit infections but it is a lot safer to buy the non-fragrance litter.

Judy, I just came across your comments regarding urine odors. I, too, had a big rescued Norwiegen Forest Cat…and he was too tall for his box and thus the urine often ended up on the floor until, like you, I used a big plastic storage box with taller sides. A friend cut an opening in the end and it served well for many years. Now, with another aging male cat (also rescued) he is having some issues and I need to find the product you mentioned. Do you still feel it worked as well as you hoped? AND where can I find it? Thanks so Much.

I use Nature’s Miracle (and once Pee-Ewww!, which worked well, too) enzyme cleaner on cat pee in the carpet – that stuff is indeed MIRACULOUS.

• Shelley says

I swear by Nature’s Miracle for getting rid of the odor. Unless the odor is gone, the animal will go right back to that spot!
        Can’t wait to try some of the other uses for H2O2!

• Lori says

I too swear by Nature’s Miracle. I had a cat with feline cystitis that associated the litter box with pain, so he went anywhere but. I would just soak the carpet with Nature’s Miracle and let it sit and soak right down to the pad underneath. The stain and smell always came out. And it is clear, so it doesn’t foam and leave that annoying white (too clean) spot on your rug. And it smells great, too!

• marianne says

baking soda works wonders on pet urine smell…sprinkle directly on the wet urine stain and it soaks it up, the baking soda will turn yellow, once it has, vaccuum it up and voila!
        The straight hydrogen peroxide worked out a dried urine stain like magic :)

• Marian says

I used the baking soda trick all the time when we lived with carpet. After I vacuumed I would then pour vinegar on to bubble up the rest/leftover. I also used straight hydrogen peroxide. The pets never went to the same spot with either. When I carpet cleaned (very light carpet in the apartment, why apartment complexes use light carpet IMHO is so they can charge you your deposit when the carpet shows use…) I sprinkled baking soda and poured peroxide on major spots and used the carpet vac cleaner. I got my deposit back…. ;)

• Cathy says

Yes, you must use enzymes for urine and feces stains and odors. Simple Solution or Natures Miracle are both found at major pet store chains. You must let it air dry though for the enzymes to work!!

• Toni-Marie says

There is a website http://www.catsofaustralia.com They have a recipe for completely getting rid of cat urine odor ………………………..ABSOLUTELY THE BEST FIND EVER!!!!!!!!! I had taken in a cat that my father had asked me to because Mom wouldn’t take him in (the cat)… Not a cat person here, so I did, and on Christmas eve, we let him out of the cage (the kids did) and he ended up peeing in the middle of my daughter’s bed. Needless to say I was beside myself….I found the recipe at this website, followed instructions to the tee, and you could put your nose smack dab up to where the stench was and it is completely gone……..I would never believe it unless I experienced it, as cat urine is the nastiest stuff on earth……..but it works!

• Joani says

Use a large hypodermic syringe to get enzymes into padding in several areas. It will smell until enzymes work. As water evaporates stains follow to surface of carpet and backing and padding make cause stains/ water marks on surface.

• Rondamom says

When we got our new puppy a year ago, we tried several things to clean up the urine. Finally, we found a trick that really did the job. A little time consuming but great for dog/cat/kid messes. Use 1/4 cup of baking soda to one 32oz bottle of peroxide, add a tbsp of dawn dish soap and mix well. This will be a bit foamy at first. Use in a sprayer or directly out of container. Saturate the area well and either blot or shop-vac the area after 15 minutes. The dishsoap breaks down the enzymes while the baking soda and peroxide act as an “oxy” agent. For the carpet, we also followed this with a rinse of vinegar and then hot water. For the walls (gotta love tom cats) we just used the sprayer and rinsed with water. This mix also works great with items that can go in the washing machine.

• Andrea says

Actually, dish soap should not break down enzymes. If it did, septic systems and tings of that nature, wouldn’t work. But… if your method is working… more power to you! :) A less-expensive-than-most solution that actually has the right stuff to neutralize the odor and the possible stain is Nature’s Miracle. We’ve used it through several pups over the years, those same pups in their elder years, a couple cats, and even one very upset raccoon. I have to say, every single time I’m a little amazed by the job it does.

• Terri says

I have a similar method I’ve been using on pet accidents for years. I’m told our local animal shelter uses it. Mix 1 cup hydrogen peroxide, 1 tsp baking soda, and a squirt of antibacterial hand soap. Pour it on the stain (old or new) and let it be. Don’t sop it up. Let it soak down to the pad and dry on its own. Test it on a hidden area of your carpet first. My carpet is tan and it’s fine

• Kris says

I have found a wonderful product for any type of stain (although, I use it mainly for dog urine)it is called FOLEX. You can get it at Lowes,HomeDepot and I think Target. It is non toxic,Non magnetic (spot will not reappear after cleaning), Non Flammable, Odor Free, No VOC’S, CFC, and Petroleum free. I swear by it, as I have 10 dogs (all inside), and on occasion, have woken up to vomit and urine. Hope this helps…

• Wendy says

I have 4 dogs and white carpets (we bought the house with that color carpet). I used this on a lot of old accidents last month and they are still looking clean and white. Better yet, my dogs don’t sniff around those spots any more! This is better than any commercial product I’ve ever used!!

• Miss says

I use this too for dog urine on carpet. I just pour it on the urine and soak up with a towel. Then I put a dry towel on the spot and put something heavy on top of that to help soak up the stain. It works wonders!

5. Paula says

When you add the hydrogen peroxide to water, won’t it become water itself, defeating the purpose?

• Tonya says

Actually the 3% Medical grade Peroxide that we buy at the store is diluted with water. It is only 3% H2O2 and 97% H2O.

• Wendy says

The extra oxygen molecule likely transfers between the H2O and the H2O2, so while the same molecule may not remain H2O2, another molecule will become that. It’s also possible that the oxygen doesn’t transfer… it’s been awhile since Gen Chem.. but regardless, no, it wouldn’t simply just become water itself.

• Yaneli says

It won’t become water. H2O and H2O2 don’t react with each other so H20 stays H20 and H2O2 stays H2O2
        Gotta love chemistry :)

• D says

BUT H2O2 will degrade/decompose readily into water and O2, which is why it should be kept cool, in a dark bottle and not shaken.

6. Mabel says

que buenos consejos,pero tengo algo que acotar sobre el enjuague bucal OJO!!! el abuso puede provocar sensibilidad dentaria, y se quedaden forma permanente. por eso no son buenos los enjuagues con PERIOXIDOS, la blancura en los dientes ,no debe priorisarse ante la salud-
    Este dato me lo dio mi dentista y tiene mas 30 años de experiencia, desde ya muchas gracias!!!

Good information Mabel. :-)

Here is some advice from a dentist on how to use hydrogen peroxide safely as a mouthwash:

How to use Hydrogen Peroxide Safely:
      1. Mix equal amount 3% hydrogen peroxide and water.
      2. It is more effective if you brush the teeth first
      3. Gently swish solution for 30- 60 seconds, and spit it out.
      4. Be careful not to swallow.
      5. Only use the diluted 3% over the counter product.

So, anyone who wants to continue hearing about uses for peroxide should stop reading right now because below this all comments are nothing but badgering and bickering….ease up folks, this isn’t Facebook!

• AlohaGrama says

OMGosh!! You are SO right!!
        Gargle with Hydro and Listerine for a sore throat. Kills the germs and a little bit of numbing for the pain.

• Jin says

Lol you are funny the most commun languages in America is English and Spanish so if you don’t understand her maybe you should learn your country’s second language….. Cause all in all it’s very embarrassing for you not to understand your country’s main languages lol

• Imperatriz says

Please leave politics out of Pinterest! By the way if you mean the USA when you said America and not the Americas, then you should know the law here is that there is only one official language. English. Ask all those from China, Vietnam, Russia, Hungry, Norway, etc. who learned our language when they came to the USA so they could become Americans and not did want to maintain their former countries allegiance. You can not have it both ways.

Read history and use Pinterest for fun!!!

• Kaylee says

Actually the USA does not have an official declared language, even though english is our natural language. But as I am sure someone pointed out, people from around the world may read this, I was interested in what it said so I just used google tanslator to convert it to english.

• Laura says

all she pretty much said was, “good article but please be warned that the overuse of H2O2 as a dental wash could result in damage” i didn’t do a direct word to word translation, but I do speak Spanish, I just can’t write it… said she got that warning from an experienced dentist.

• Melissa says

Using 3% concentration by volume hydrogen peroxide is safe for daily use on teeth. Your dentist may have been warning against using a stronger concentration. Always check the labels.

Mabel…please speak English on this site. We are AMERICANS here and we speak English here. If you live here in America, speak our language!

• Jacqueline says

This comment is unkind and unnecessary. Most sites have followers from many countries outside the U.S. I’ll bet everyone is welcome here.

• Brocky says

Peg-don’t include all of us in your statement that” WE”are Americans. I am proud to be an American but I am not proud of people using a great site like this to be a bully and misrepresent the rest of us on this site. Right now I am an embarrassed American-sorry Mabel y muchas gracias para tu palabras!

• Sasha says

RUDE! She is free to speak whatever language she wants to. Even AMERICANS can speak Spanish! I know quite a few who predominately speak Spanish. You are a very poor representation of our country and it seems you are quite closed minded. I think we should be promoting unity and not discrimination!

• Nancy says

I am sure all countries have their share of people that make rude comments. Hopefully, she didn’t realize just how bad it sounded, but either way, this was not a representation of Americans in general… just as I’m sure you were not intending to insult all Americans by indicating we are not as nice as Canadians. I too am very proud to be an American, however I do not agree with everything that every American says. Just wanted you to know, there are a lot of really nice Americans out there also.
        With that having been said, this really is an awesome site! So glad it can be useful to so many people not only here, but in other countries as well.

• Schteveo says

Rikki beat me to the punch on that one.

Me,
        I used to regularly work in 3 Canadian Provinces when I was still working, Ontario, Quebec and B.C. And contrary to your remark, there are just as many nasty Canadians as there are Americans. I’ve been all over the world in fact, 30 different countries total, I’ve never found nasty or nice to be tied to a language, a country, or a skin color.

Nasty, much like foolish or mouthy, is ubiquitous.

• Shelli says

Are you serious? We are not in England. If you want to be stink about it, maybe learn a language that has been here way before English. Natives have many languages and I bet you haven’t bothered to learn any of them.

• Tori says

Well that was rude. I’m glad Mabel made her comment bc I have sensitive teeth (and I know how to copy/ paste into translate.google.com).

• Luisa says

OMG! Discrimination is still around in plain 20th century…you should learn spanish….Nowadays everybody AT LEAST, knows two languages ….. I am a Mexican Citizen and know my English quite well…I appreciate Jillie and Melissa for helping Mabel…
        you are great!

• lcaneer says

And no, not everyone one knows two languages. Some of us don’t have the ability or the opportunity to learn a second language

• Mary says

Has anyone else noticed that the rest of the world not only speak their native younger, but also English as well, if not a third and/or fourth language? Only in America are we so judgmental that we believe that everyone else should conform to us, not visa versa. Other ethnic groups (deemed to be less superior to the all mighty American) have taken the time to learn a second language, but not the lazy ‘American’. I wish I had been given the opportunity to learn Spanish (as a required subject) in school, rather than French (because unless you live on the northeastern part of the country near Canada, French just isn’t spoken as a rule, whereas Spanish is). I am sorry Mabel for the ignorance, and the supposition that all who are on the web speak English as their first language.

• Mary says

That should be native tongue in the first sentence, not younger. Sorry, darn correct-a-word.

• Heather says

I wish I could like all the positive on here. But want to say a Big Thank You to Jacqueline, Shelli, Me & Luisa. No I don’t know Mabel. Mabel no dejar que la gente que pase por poner las cosas aquí. Somos todos iguales. Nos enseña y ayudar a otros a los que les encantaría aprender. Yo no te conozco, pero muy orgulloso de ti.

• Megan says

Wow how rude of a person you are. Just because you live in America doesn’t mean everyone else does. And she “Mabel” can write whatever she wants and in whatever language she wants. And whoever said America’s language in English? You obviously haven’t traveled much? There is a lot of languages being spoke here.

Mabel no te preocupes deja tus comentarios adonde quieres. Aye gente asi me enojo mucho cuando una persona no tiene los derechos a decir algo.

• Pam says

OMG, Peg Close that is an incredibly rude and unnecessary comment. The internet is international … there are online translators that YOU can use if you choose to read her comment. Your attitude is why Americans are perceived as bullies around the world. A little tolerance goes a long way. If you can’t say something nice, keep your mouth shut please.

• Vanessa says

SERIOUSLY. Hey, Peg, in case you haven’t realized, people from ALL OVER THE WORLD are posting on this site. Your comment was rude and disgusting. Not everyone here is American, and thanks for making the rest of us Americans look as ignorant as you are. It’s no wonder the world looks down on us.

• Monique says

How do you know that Mabel lives in the U.S.? There are readers from all over the world. That aside, even if Mabel is an American, your closed-minded comment is unnecessary and downright rude.

• Britta Nystul says

You know, there’s plenty of translating tools here on this great WORLD wide web… I suggest looking into them.

• Janell says

Lmao, I am seriously blushing for YOU right now. I can only hope that you realized your mistake & unfortunately your access to the Internet has somehow become blocked, therefore, although you so badly want to recant your ignorance & apologize to EVERYONE who had to read your asinine embarrassing comment you have been unable to. I know that any half decent human being, regardless of what country they live in or what language the speak, would realize what a grave error they made & try to remedy the situation immediately. I feel so sorry for your mother, it would break my heart if I found that cold, bitter heart in any of my children. You should definitely take a trip to Mexico sometime very soon. Please speak ONLY Spanish while visiting THEIR country. Anything else would be completely unacceptable to YOU right? I could go on for hours but I’m afraid your probably not going to be able to comprehend much of what I am saying, I’m not saying that to be rude or without cause. My 4 year old could most definitely not read nor understand the majority of this post yet he is COMPLETELY aware of the fact that the Internet is a means of connecting the WORLD! Considering that you were obviously completely oblivious to that fact I have probably just wasted a lot of time. Make today a fabulous day & try to worry about you more & your neighbors less, this world needs less of your views. :)

• tj says

Actually, Mabel, if she lives in the America’s, is more a true American than you if you are descended from Europe. Also, since you are living up to the ‘ignorant American’ stereotype, there is no official language in the USA so Mabel should feel free to continue to express herself as she wishes. I truly hope you can try to be a little less shockingly rude and demanding on a website that is not even your own. Try as little compassion and kindness.. it makes the world a better place.

• Dee says

Excuse me, I am Tsalagi. That is Cherokee for those of you who do not speak my language. Although my people firmly believe that OURS is the official language of North America, alas, we were told by the United States of America’s executive branch of the government that ENGLISH is the OFFICIAL language of North America. So when in the USA, please speak English. When in Spain – speak Spanish. When in France – speak French. When on the world wide web (WWW. (internet) !!) speak whatever your first language is and let others translate if THEY want to know what you said.

• Kaylee says

Sorry the USA does not have an offical language, although I totally agree with you, when in Rome…………speak Italian, and even though we do not have an “official” language I am sure everyone would agree English is the unofficial, offical language of the US. But as this forum can be read anywhere by anyone.
        I personally find it very irritating when I have to press 1 for english………..do people in other countries have to press 1 for their language? Have never been able to figure out why it isn’t press 1 for spanish or other languages since the majority, though not all, here do speak english – just an oddity – eh?

• Eveline says

In Belgium, we do have to press 1 for our regional language. Actually, in Belgium there are three ‘official’ languages: Dutch in the Northern region (Flanders), French in the Southern region (Wallonia) and German in the East (East Cantons, near the German border).

Besides these 3 official languages, we -ofcourse- also speak English (taught in secondary school) and a lot of us also know a fifth and sixth language such as Latin and Greek or Spanish, Italian…. Besides the language from our region we then also know the dialect from that region (which people from other regions often can’t even comprehend e.g. people from the Northeast of the country would NEVER understand someone from the Northwest when speaking in their dialect, the other way around they would understand a lot more, but there are some words that are very vernacular).

When going abroad, we never have much difficulty understanding the local languages, because we have such a large vocabulary (Dutch being like a mixture of German and English with a lot of French influences – so Germanic and Romanic influences).

What is said here about not having the chance or opportunity to learn a different language, I think everybody always has the oppportunity to learn another language. Just buy a book and/or turn on foreign television chanels. Write e-mails/letters/correspond with someone from another country…..There are a lot of options if you really want to do something about it.

Anyone care to learn Dutch?? :)

Yep, Belgium is a very tiny country, but BIG at the same time :))

• Joani says

Dee you are right Spanish and Native American dialects w, which is ere here centuries before American English made up from many words adopted from other languages like Colorado, Spanish meaning Colored red.

• Terry says

Peg, take it easy. why is tolerence so hard nowadays. its not hurting you if she writes it in another language. I can accept her as an american more easily than I can acccept you being a racial bigot.

• Misty says

You’re on a website. There is nothing that says only Americans are allowed. Get over yourself. Really, how rude and uneducated can you be?

• Ms. Education says

Perhaps Peg should have done a bit of research before allowing the rest of the bullies here to run her off.
        English as a global language~courtesy of Wikipdia

See also: English in computing, International English, World Englishes, World language, and English as a foreign or second language

Because English is so widely spoken, it has often been referred to as a “world language”, the lingua franca of the modern era,[19] and while it is not an official language in most countries, it is currently the language most often taught as a foreign language. It is, by international treaty, the official language for aeronautical[64] and maritime[65] communications. English is an official language of the United Nations and many other international organizations, including the International Olympic Committee.

English is the language most often studied as a foreign language in the European Union, by 89% of schoolchildren, ahead of French at 32%, while the perception of the usefulness of foreign languages among Europeans is 68% in favour of English ahead of 25% for French.[66] Among some non-English-speaking EU countries, a large percentage of the adult population claims to be able to converse in English – in particular: 85% in Sweden, 83% in Denmark, 79% in the Netherlands, 66% in Luxembourg and over 50% in Finland, Slovenia, Austria, Belgium, and Germany.[67]

Books, magazines, and newspapers written in English are available in many countries around the world, and English is the most commonly used language in the sciences[19] with Science Citation Index reporting as early as 1997 that 95% of its articles were written in English, even though only half of them came from authors in English-speaking countries.

This increasing use of the English language globally has had a large impact on many other languages, leading to language shift and even language death,[68] and to claims of linguistic imperialism.[69] English itself has become more open to language shift as multiple regional varieties feed back into the language as a whole.[69]

• Ms. Education says

English in Computing~
        The English language is sometimes described as the lingua franca of computing. In comparison to other sciences, where Latin and Greek are the principal sources of vocabulary, Computer Science borrows more extensively from English. Due to the technical limitations of early computers, and the lack of international standards on the Internet, computer users were limited to using English and the Latin alphabet. However, this historical limitation is less present today. Most software products are localized in numerous languages and the use of the Unicode character encoding has resolved problems with non-Latin alphabets. Some limitations have only been changed recently, such as with domain names, which previously allowed only ASCII characters.

• Leah says

Ms Education – what, exactly, is your point? That English is the most common language in the world? I think we already knew that. (Interestingly, while it is the most widely spread language, it is not the most spoken language. Due to their population, Chinese is.) It is not, however, the only language in the world. Nor is it commonly spoken in every country of the world. The fact it is the primary computing language is irrelevant.

I live in an english-speaking country and I do object to people coming to live here and refusing to learn English. You should learn the language of the country you live in. But this is the internet. There are no internet rules saying you have to speak English on the internet. People from all over the world can view virtually any website they like (political censorship aside). There is no obligation to speak English on the internet.

• Villainess says

Even the billion-or-so people that speak what we refer to as “Chinese” speak different related and often mutually unintelligible languages such as Mandarin, Wu, Cantonese, etc. This aurally, is more like the related Romance/Latin dialect languages of Latin, Italian, Spanish, French, etc.

But, if you ever watch Chinese TV, you might notice they almost always use subtitles so they can better understand eachother in the various regions. Their characters, which are a sort of meaning based pictograms, evolved much slower, so even though different words are spoken and heard, they none-the-less can use the same characters and all read the same basic writing. I always wished they would give me English subtitles so I could understand too!

• Becky says

We are justified in enforcing good morals, for they belong to all mankind; but we are not justified in enforcing good manners, for good manners always mean our own manners.
        Gilbert K. Chesterton

Two wrongs don’t make a right.

• pamela says

peg close, there is no need to be so rude. I have seen other languages used and of course… I can’t read them. Just overlook if unable to understand.

• M C Richardson says

One word :Ignorant!

The world is more than the USA ,maybe you should only use local internet,designed just for you,no one will be able to get to you ,I’m sure that is more your speed!

• Leah says

Actually, Peg, this is the internet, not America. People from all over the world and all different languages can read this blog. There are no internet rules stating you must only speak English on the internet.

• jennifer says

It is so sad that miserable people like you (Peg Close) feel the need to spread their negativity on other people. Ive come across too many people like this on the net lately. They can turn a helpful, sharing conversation into a negativity fest in seconds-and it rubs on on others-like me, now Im angry at someone i don’t even know and it’s a vicious cycle. Like mommy used to say, “If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all”!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Rayah says

Sounds like y’all are arguing with a troll! Let the lame be lame and you can be your sweet and positive selves :)

Down with the trolls!

7. Sharon says

I always used peroxide to remove blood stains from pillows and sheets from poking little fingers at night. I still keep a bottle in the laundry room.

8. Jess C says

I’ve always used a straight peroxide wash for cleaning the wax from my ears. It works great! But I’m curious as to what the oil’s purpose is in your recipe. I’ve never used it and never had a problem. Could you possibly fill me in?

• Dianne says

The Olive oil is used to moisten any hardened wax and help loosen it.. they Hydrogen Peroxide then “bubbles” and breaks it out of the canal… safe and effective! :)

• MI Gal says

Please only put any liquid in your ear canal if you are 100% sure the eardrum is completely intact. Even the tiniest pinhole will allow the liquid in to a space that should only contain air; dangerous and very painful. Remember, cotton swabs only push wax deeper in to the bony part of the canal, where it can grow bacteria, etc., which can cause a very painful infection. Earwax, cerumen, serves important purposes for eardrum health! Glands in each canal secrete wax to maintain a certain humidity for eardrum health and can catch insects, dust, etc before it gets to the eardrum. Over time, the wax, which starts out closer to a light brown liquid, dries to a darker brown and flakes out of the ear canal on its own. This is a self-cleaning system for most ears.

• Mary Alice says

Our pediatrician recommended that I use oil (she suggested baby oil but I suspect that many oils are fine for this purpose) and hydrogen peroxide. It is quite effective.

• Crickett says

Actually, Mary Alice, Olive Oil works quite well and is better for the skin.

Love your uses for peroxide!
    I keep a bottle with spray top as you do, plus a spray bottle of white vinegar. There was a study done years ago at Virginia Tech about the use of Peroxide & Vinegar to kill germs, etc. If you Google it you will find tons of sites with the information.
    Basically, they work better in conjunction. You don’t mix them together in one bottle, rather you have each in a separate bottle. Then you spray them one at a time on the surface you want to clean, and wipe dry.
    I have also used the one-two method to clean fruits & veggies, being sure to rinse well!

Rhonda….I read something about that too in my research. Apparently using the two together is more effective at killing e-coli than chlorine bleach! Thanks for sharing!

• Cathy says

I use this method to clean my cutting boards etc. If you spray the vinegar first and follow with the peroxide then you do not have to rinse because the peroxide turns to water when it hits the vinegar. I read this information in a green housekeeping book a couple of years ago. I remember the book saying that it was also safe to use on meats and vegetables or fruit, too.

Great blog, Jillee! I’ve tried a number of your ideas with great success. Thanks!

• Alice-Ann says

If you spray vinegar first and then the peroxide, which turns to water, what would be the purpose of the peroxide?

• Chris says

Mixing Vinegar and Hydrogen Peroxide creates peracetic acid which is a very powerful sanitizer. At high concentrations it is corrosive and harmful to the skin, lungs, and eyes. Use caution with this mixture.
        Most internet recipes are examples of web rumors. The best way to tell is if you see websites telling you to make mixtures such as “vinegar and baking soda” or “vinegar and ammonia” you know they have false facts (since these mixtures neutralize each other).

• Melissa H. says

The only thing I would worry about in leaving a sprayer on the bottle instead of a lid, is would some of the oxygen evaporate?? I remember taking physical science in 7th grade(many years ago, so forgive me if I’m way off base here) and we learned the the extra oxygen molecules in hydrogen peroxide would evaporate if you didn’t have a lid on the container. I’m not sure a sprayer attachment would be airtight enough to prevent this from happening…