Make Your Own Homemade Pain Relieving Cream

pain relieving lotion

I have a declaration to make today, and here it is:

My 17-year-old son Kell (aka…No. 2 Son) is an amazing kid!

I know, I know…we all think our kids are amazing…but allow me to share just exactly WHY I think this guy is so special.

Kell has had Type 1 Diabetes since 2 years old and wears an insulin pump 24/7 which is basically his “life support”.

He was diagnosed with Celiac’s Disease a couple of years ago and had to learn to live life without pizza, pasta, cakes and cookies or ANYTHING with gluten in it. Tough thing for a teenager!

And on top of all that, about 9 months ago he was diagnosed with a skeletal disorder that causes him a great deal of back pain. But the kid has been a trooper through it all and doesn’t let any of it get in his way.

That’s a whole lot of stuff he has to deal with every single day…and sometimes it will just strike me out of the blue (like today!) how much I admire his courage in dealing with all of it.  So, I just had to share with “the world” how proud I am of him. Thank you for listening.

I also wanted to share something that we’ve come up with that is helping him deal with the back pain. Something maybe you can benefit from as well.

aleveHis doctor has told him Aleve is the best thing to take for pain, but I worry about him taking so much pain medicine. So recently I’ve been on a quest to find a natural topical pain reliever that he can use to help cut back on the pills he needs to take.

Since one of the most effective treatments of his condition is massage to relax the muscles…I decided a lotion or cream of some sort would be ideal.

I was somewhat surprised to discover (or NOT discover) there is very little information out there about making your own natural pain reliever lotion. I did manage to find a few things here are there and realized that all of them contained the same basic ingredients. So armed with that information I set out to make my own formulation.

What I came up with is basically what amounts to a “massage oil”.

pain relieving lotion

Homemade Pain Relieving Cream

Ingredients:

1/2 cup Coconut Oil
2 teaspoons Beeswax pellets
2 teaspoons Camphor crystals or 5 drops Camphor oil
2 teaspoons Menthol crystals or 5 drops Peppermint oil
5 drops Eucalyptus oil

Melt the coconut oil and beeswax together. You can do this in the microwave, in a double boiler, or what I did was set a small saucepan on the stove for a minute or two and then turned the burner off and added the coconut oil and beeswax. Stir until melted.

Allow the mixture to cool for a few minutes, then add the camphor crystals or oil, the menthol crystals or oil, and the eucalyptus oil.

Put in a container and allow to cool completely. When it is completely cooled it will be a solid rather than liquid…but the minute it hits your warm skin…it will liquify again. That’s what coconut oil does, which makes it perfect for massaging onto sore muscles and joints.

pain relieving lotion

This amount of camphor, menthol and eucalyptus seems to be working for Kell…but you can increase the amount of each until you achieve the desired level of effectiveness for you without causing irritation.

pain relieving cream

And finally, if you don’t want to mess with making your own “base” cream….here is a A Super Simple Version of Homemade Pain Relieving Cream.

Just purchase a jar of Vitamin E Cream at just about any grocery, dollar or drug store and add the essential oils to that, and mix. Voila! Done.

Share on Facebook8,320Tweet about this on Twitter106Pin on Pinterest45,531Google+14

Comments

1. Trish says

I have to agree, that is one impressive (and handsome) son you have! And thank you also for the recipe for pain relief cream…Kell’s mother never ceases to impress me too :-) Question–is the odor of the cream strong enough that others “know” you have it on? And Kell, how long do you get relief from this cream?

Many thanks,
    Trish in Spokane, Wa

• Sally says

PLEASE look into comfrey. It was called knit bone by native americans, and I will always swear it’s what saved my son’s leg after a bad motorcycle wreck, missing 3.5″ of bone. It has great healing properties. You can make an poultice, (search on youtube) an ointment, a water base infusion, just about any way you want to use it. I have a broken bone in my knee right now, 6 wks old and I’m able to put full weight on it. It’s my ‘go to’ healing herb for many! different things. Blessings

• laxminaiidu says

What. Type. Of. Essential oil can. You. Name. Pls. My mother who. Is. 90 years. Old has lots of pain in her. Legs I am. Scared to give pain. Killers. To her but am. Helpless. Cos. Her old. Fracture pains. Are. Very sevier at. Time pls. Help

I know a lot about oils and some are a lot stronger than others. perfume vs strong medicine. I can actually help a great deal with his pain and bone disorder if you would like me too. just email me. I’m here. ~Tina

• jangi says

My wife has a lung cancer and now a days a frozen shoulder where she cant wear her cloths” please advice which oil or ointment to use to get rid of of i dont know is it arthiritis or gas or due to coughing has triggered off this shoulder pain? please give me your good advice at my email id -i will be hugely thankful! Respectfully Yours_Jangi
        Email: jangibakshi@gmail.com
        Skype: jangibakshi

I know of some oil blends that will replace the pain killers email me I will send you a list. hugs~Tina

• Anita says

I know this is a natural site but many many people I know have been helped by this mostly natural lotion. It’s called 2 OLD Goats. It can be purchased at feed and farm stores.
      go to wwwtwooldgoats.com or call 1-866-324-3787.
      It contains
      LAVENDER
      CHAMAMILLE
      ROSEMARY
      ECCALYPTUS
      PEPPERMINT
      BIRCH BARK
      GOATS MILK

2. Amanda J. says

Have you looked into clove oil? With it you’ve just made the recipe for tiger balm. Clove oil dulls the nerves to relieve pain. Also capsicum (or whatever the heat comes from in hot peppers). They’ve done studies using it instead of narcotics post surgery.

I’ve heard capsicum can act as a pain reliever somewhere (don’t remember where) but just watch-out using it topically. We work with this stuff everyday (for spice mixes) and it can very easily be a skin irritant. Just to give you an idea, 0.075% Capsicum powder by weight (with other bland food powders making up the remaining 99.925%) will cause sneezing, coughing, etc. And direct skin contact with concentrated capsicum liquid or powder can cause heat rashes (like cutting up hot peppers can but many times worse).

I think the clove oil sounds neat though. Never heard of that one before.

• alicia says

I too have an autoimmune disorder and have lots of pain and inflammation. I have used clove oil on my gums for nerve pain related to my TMD (temporal mandibular joint dysfunction); it works great! Apply with a Q tip. Based on experience, never apply capsicum (red pepper oil) to broken skin. I had a doctor prescribe it for shingles and it just made a painful condition worse. Emu oil applied topically relieves pain, and I was wondering how hard it is to obtain, although coconut oil is readily available at the grocery store. Thanks so much for this information!

Clove oil can be a serious mucous membrane and dermal irritant too. Keep at very low %’s. There are soo many safer pain relieving essential oils.

• Elizabeth says

I, too, have used capsicum directly on my skin (knuckles, elbows, other joints) for pain relief. I had a roll-on tube of it, and I got agonizing burns from it…. I wouldn’t take it internally for fear of internal burning, too. Of course, I’ve not used it again. Thanks for some other suggestions!

• Mark Rich says

I use capsicum for everything including stomach ulcers. The myth everybody thinks is that it will cause holes to burn in your stomach. NOT TRUE. Cayenne pepper as, I call it, rushes blood to the damaged sore and helps in healing the problem. Cayenne pepper is the one plant of choice I would have in my First Aid kit if I had only one choice. If you can handle the hotness on a cut, if you put it on the problem area it will heal the cut and cause little to no scar. I personally have used it for what I have been talking about. I also take it internally for low and high blood pressure. It is a miracle plant that used in moderation will greatly be a benefit to a persons life. Do your research on the web and you’ll be surprised at what you can do with it. I use to work at the company that makes Natures Way products in Utah. I got to know the different spices and herbs they use in their product. I was a tablet and capsule maker on the line. Just working in the atmosphere with all the herb dusts, my health became so much better. Back to my cayenne pepper . They use the pepper in their combination formulas because it is used as a support to the formula. I am sorry for my rambling on . As you can see from experience personally I am converted to cayenne (Capsicum) for so many uses of which I have mentioned and even more I have not talked about . It is a natural antibiotic.

• Alison says

Oil of Cloves is also great to relieve a toothache until you can get to the dentist. When you used to get freezing at the dentist you could always taste the cloves!

• Beth says

My son had a real bad toothache and had to go to work that day, so I made an emergency run to the pharmacy to find him something. The pharmacist gave me cloves for him to use, worked wonders, no more pain.

• April says

Last fall, I ended up with a dry socket (blood clot fell out too soon), The dentist’s office used a little pouch that was filled with ground up cloves, had to keep that in the hole & it did wounders for the pain!! And tasted good too :)

• rananda says

Clove oil has done wonders for me for decades. I now make a tincture using whole cloves (the fresher the better) filled to the brim in a jar and then again filled with good vodka. Let it sit, shaking it up every day or two, for at least 2 weeks. Strain, and then pour on top of a very stiff balm such as coconut oil. I also put in a homemade cannabis lotion (or tincture, treated the same as the clove). Then add arnica, celery oil (or tincture, made same as clove), Camphor oil, to get the nice heat from the clove, and the cold from the camphor. I also put ginger and garlic, as anti-inflammatories, as well as their ability to leach OUT what is inside causing the pain. It’s a great mix that smells heavenly, warms, cools, and makes the pain go away for hours, and hours. If you can’t get the cannabis, it doesn’t work as well, but with all the rest, it works magic none the less! I’ve been using it on sciatica, degenerative disks, arthritis, a broken hip that didn’t heal right, fibromyalgia, and lately plantar fasciitis. After rubbing it in for 10-20 minutes for each zone, after about 10 minutes after that, it’s golden for HOURS.

• Shelly says

Can you give exact measurements so I can make this please? Also where do you get all these ingredients, I imagine it isn’t easy to find cannabis for your homemade lotion, which I’d also need recipe for? lol

• magicwillow says

I like your info it is helping me. I was looking for things to go with cannabis oil (or tincture) to help my wife is has a lot of the things you talked about let me know how much you mix of each and do you use medical grade cannabis because they are all different. looking forward to your help

• Elissa says

Rinada, I just stumbled on this page and LOVE IT! I am an esthetician and purchasing Essential Oils can be expensive, plus depending on the brand you buy, (to me) makes a difference. I would love, love, love to learn how to make my own lotions, potions and oils! If you have some time and could just point me in the right direction (a link or so) I would sincerely appreciate it! I’m leaving for Colorado Springs this coming Wed. to see my family but will be able to get online from my mom’s.

Looking forward to “chatting” with you! I’m on FB as well: Elissa Levy-Penn

Thanks!

• Scott says

I guess Rananda never did respond to the measurements of the ingredients that so many asked about. Did anyone follow up on this and have a measurement for each of the ingredients?

• Gwyn says

She probably isn’t ignoring the requests just so you all know. The problem is unless she comes back to check she won’t know that people are asking. Maybe if Jillee has a way to get in touch with Rananda she will for us but I don’t know if she has a way to do that either. It’s too bad because I would love to the details as well.

• Sonia says

Thank you,I would be very grateful if you could let me know ,if possible,how much of each oils you use.

• Tricia says

Rananda,
        That is a great sounding rub…I would like to try that on my grma who suffers from arthritis and refuses to take medication. I wonder if you have a more detailed recipe and suggestions on where to find some of these items such as the cannabis lotion.
        Thanks for sharing!
        Tricia

• Peggy says

I”m curious about how much cannabis and how is it made into tincture? Like the clove, covered with vodka? Can you give a bit more of measurements? My husband suffers badly from degenerative disk disease, arthritis, cervical stenosis, We have made our own rub but it separates. How does yours do with the coconut oil? Thank you!

• Ryanps777 says

I add the clove oil, Cheyenne, and cinnamon oil to mine when I make it. I have also found that using powdered spices works almost as well as the essential oils.

3. Deb says

Jillee, first, I want to tell how much I absolutely love your blog (I follow you on Pinterest).

I also want to tell you how much I respect and admire your son, Kell! I also have type 1 diabetes which was diagnosed when I was 17 (I’m currently 52). That in itself is more than enough for anyone to handle, without adding to that his other illnesses and that he’s also had to deal with growing up. It must be so incredibly challenging! He must be an awesome individual and an inspiration to so many. Three cheers for him!

AND I want to thank you and your family. Sometimes I think illnesses are as hard and sometimes harder on those that love “us” leaving them feeling helpless. Quite often, thank God, it is just a fact of our life and we don’t really know any different … Remember just being there is HUGE! Loving us, supporting us, hugging us is quite often all we need BUT not treating us any differently is what is needed most.

I am currently going through a bad patch and I can’t say enough how much I appreciate all the love, support and understanding I’ve received from all areas of my life — family, friends, co-workers, employer, etc. even a couple of my medical team members quite often hug me!

Thanks for sharing his story and your wonderful blog.

4. Andrea Treadwell says

My daughter & I are both type 1 (I was diagnosed at 6 and she was at 4) and wear pumps. She is 12 and a cross country runner. This will be great for her achy legs! Thanks!

5. Marielle says

Another neat idea of yours I can’t wait to try. Thanks for sharing!
    And…there are gluten free flour substitutes you can make that you can use cup for cup in baking. Jules gluten free has one that can even be used in bread. I have one in a cookbook that can be used in cake & cookies, but not bread. There are gluten free rice pastas, too. And gluten free cake mixes…even Betty Crocker. There are alot of websites with some fantastic gluten free recipes. You don’t need to miss out on favorite foods, just change them up a little by using different flours.

• Geralyn_D says

I first switched to gluten-free products then had to try other things as gluten-free products are so highly refined(equal to white bread) and it tore up my yeast infected guts. I hear the rate of diabetes are going up with gluten sensitivities due to the refined flours and starches that are the gluten-free “norm”.

6. Karen says

You have an amazing son, and you are an amazing mom! I have a collagen disorder and deal with pain on a daily basis. I am definitely going to try this out! Also, you might want to research tumeric. It is a common item in Indian food, but it is also a natural anti-inflammatory and is very helpful. :)
    Thanks again!
    Karen

• Monica says

By chance do you have Ehler-danlos syndrome? What else have you found to help? my daughter has had back pain for 18 months, and the rheumatologist suspects Ehler-Danlos but we havn’t seen a geneticist yet.

• Missie says

I was wondering the same thing when I saw this comment. The Orthopedic Dr. I saw after my last gross dislocation strongly suspected EDS. I’m almost 30 anyway and have delt with sublaxations and dislocations for as long as I can remember. So, after ruling out the more dangerous type with an EKG I decided not to go through with the genetic testing. It just wasn’t worth the out of pocket costs to me to put a name on something that wont kill me and has no treatment anyway. That said, I am very intrigued by the disorder and read up on it as much as I can, given the possibility that this is indeed what I may have. I would absolutely love to hear from other people who either have it or are suspected to have it as I’ve never had the chance to meet anyone who does. Like you, I’d be interested in hearing what helps others with the pain. I deal with sublaxations (partial dislocations) of the shoulder joints on a daily basis, so even doing my hair gets painful and I refuse to take otc meds every day. I did recently buy a bottle of turmeric capsules but have not really been taking them religiously. Karen, what has been an effective amount of turmeric for you? I’d love to hear from either of you, spitefulilsprite@live.com. Thanks:)

• StoneMaven says

I take Turmeric, 750mg caps twice daily for my knees (softening of the back of the patella and joint inflammation on both). It is a miracle! I’ve gone from bad limping, climbing stairs left foot up, step up, left foot up, rather than left-right-left, and painful rising from chairs to almost pain free. My joint pain is reduced to the point that I can walk without limping and can manage a flight of stairs normally. I now have my husband on it (torn rotator cuff, both shoulders) and he is sleeping through the night and waking up largely pain free. It took about a week for me to notice the difference. The action is anti-inflammatory rather than analgesic, so relief isn’t like Advil, but it is more lasting. If I skip a day or two, I get achy again, so it is a quick reminder to take it. I’ve also added ginger and bromelian to my regimen and am looking forward to seeing if they accentuate the turmeric.

• Mary Francis says

Where can I find Turmeric Capsules? I have painful knees and joints all over Aleve doesn’t help Advil takes the edge off some. I do steps the way you used to do altho its my right leg first to go down steps in my house ( 2 ) from kitchen I go down backwards as it hurts to bend my left knee

• Tricia says

I have read that adding black pepper helps your body absorb the tumeric by 2000%. Found a great recipe for “honey milk” using tumeric, black pepper…..awesome night time drink
        Tricia

• Kristin says

I was diagnosed with Ehlers Danlos Syndrome 12 years ago, my mother and my children also have EDS. I would be happy to answer any questions you may have, anytime. Funny to find this here! I followed a link here from Pinterest to look for DIY skin and haircare, then this pain reliever caught my eye, and then to find posts about EDS (which is extremely rare, most people have no idea what it is) is unreal!

There are 8 types of EDS, and there are only a couple of tests for (at this time) two of those types. Please be warned an EKG cannot rule out any of the types of EDS, especially not vascular. It can only rule out any immediate danger of a aortic fissure or tear. That is why we have to be tested every year to keep track of any changes (and I don’t even have the vascular type.) There are very serious problems that can arise with all types, and this is a progressive disorder- if you are showing symptoms, then you unfortunately can be assured that they will progress with age. And although unfortunately there is no cure, symptoms can be managed.

Anyway, nice to meet you, and blessings on finding answers!

• Lewann Rice says

Kristin,
        Hi My 16 year old daughter has just been diagnosed with EDS w/hyper mobility. She has always been such an active child and within a very short time she has become unable to use/ put weight on her left leg. She is in so much pain it is killing me watching her suffer so much. I understand how much pain effects your life. I was in a severe car accident in 05 and I suffer from Fibromyalgia, Chronic neck and lower back pain. I also have PCOS and Celiac Disease. Fun I know! LOL

My daughter is having a very hard time being in so much pain. She needs someone to talk to about it with someone around her age that is going through the same thing. I know this is not something that is usually asked of you but would you mind emailing me and my daughter???

My email is lulurice79@gmail.com

If this is too weird I understand. I am just trying to get my baby any support possible!

Thanks!
        Lewann

I am really loving the theme/design of your website.
      Do you ever run into any internet browser compatibility issues?
      A handful of my blog readers have complained about my website not working correctly in Explorer but looks great in Chrome.
      Do you have any tips to help fix this problem?

7. amy says

I too have a son to be very proud of :o) he was diagnosed with crohns disease at 8, he’s now 16 and if that hasn’t been enough of a life path to travel…last labor day, 2011, he broke his neck at c6….and through my two bad marriages he has had to step up and be the man of the house…he is a special person to say the least…and I love him very much….thank u also for listening….and thank you for the pain relieving cream, we will use it on hos back and neck to hopefully relieve the ongoing pain and aches he has from the neck injury…..sincerely and blessing for ur family,Amy :o)

• Susan says

Amy,
      Pain responds well to acupuncture. Community Acupuncture Network is a growing movement across the world (not just the US). It offers affordable acupuncture in a group setting on a sliding scale. Anywhere from $15-30 session. Having acupuncture freqeuntly, initially allows your body to become pain free. It has been a lifesaver for me! here’s a link to find a clinic near you. Also, the movement is spreading quickly, so if there isn’t a clinic near you now, there may be one soon. http://www.pocacoop.com/

8. Anna says

I do not want to seem alarmist, but I do feel obligated to take a minute to comment on one of the ingredients in your pain relieving balm. Please use caution (and encourage your readers to do the same) with use of camphor. I recently learned (in a nursing class that I am taking at Arizona State University) that camphor is not as safe as it once was thought to be. Camphor is very poisonous if swallowed. It is the main ingredient in many types of moth balls and pesticides. It contains chemicals which are known by the FDA to be carcinogens. The American Academy of Family Physicians and the American Academy of Pediatrics both warn against the use of camphor products. Camphor contains chemicals which can be absorbed through the skin and have been linked to cancer, birth defects, and stillbirth. Camphor overdose, which can occur via ingestion or use on the skin, can cause seizures and respiratory distress, and death in children and pets. In smaller doses, Camphor toxicity is expressed through nausea and agitation. There are also researchers at present who think that Camphor may be implicated as a cause of certain nerve disorders.

Here is some more information on the known dangers of Camphor: http://www.nyc.gov/html/doh/html/epi/camphor.shtml

• Juju says

Just an FYI about camphor safety…it is FDA-approved as a topical painkiller in 3-11% concentrations. So exercising our math brains may be in order to keep us safe from harm. By my calculations (you may want to make your own calculations just to be safe), Jillee’s recipe makes a 6.67% preparation (using the crystals), so it is well within the FDA-approved range. It is also important to remember that camphor should never be taken by mouth nor put on broken or injured skin due to its rapid absorption. Toxicity can occur quickly within 5-90 minutes. Signs of toxicity include burning mucous membranes of the mouth and throat, nausea, vomiting, seizures, respiratory distress and unconsciousness. And as always recommended, keep out of reach of children.

Jillee…just love your blog! I am printing out my favorites and keeping them in 3 fancy designer-look notebooks with dividers: one for recipes, one for hints, and one for crafty ideas. I have shared so many of your “good” things with my friends, family, and co-workers. They can’t wait to see what you are coming up with next! *Kudos!* to you for being a great inspiration, especially to your kids!

• Anna says

Like I said, I’m not trying to be alarmist, but I just felt like readers of the blog should be aware of this issue. Obviously Jill’s son is old enough that he’s not going to be accidentally ingesting the cream, but readers with younger children may need to make sure that they aren’t using the cream on a young child, nor keeping it within reach of a child. Also, the container that you keep your cream in should be labeled and contain a written warning. It’s also important to pay attention to your concentrations when making this, and it would probably be wise for pregnant women to avoid it altogether. This is definitely worth noting I think.

• karen says

thanks for thanks for the warning.as i DO have little ones who would try to eat it. i reading this and thinking how it might help my husband with his back pain.but my youngest would try yo eat it so i think it be best to hold off until he older.

• Denise says

I use camphor in my homemade “vicks”. I am currently in a masters Herbalist class and it is fine. FDA approved and herbalist approved. Just dont eat it. ;) you said… “It contains chemicals which are known by the FDA to be carcinogens.” thats a new one one me. I will present this to my instructor and fellow students both past and present to see what they have to say about that. And not for nothing, you were at a federally and state funded universary. they are very much against herbs and natural treatments and are all for the pharmacology and synthetic drugs. i would take what they say about natural products with a grain of salt.

• Tasheena says

I personally would keep the whole block of salt handy, a lot of suffering for greed. You’re going to help a lot of people Denise. The need is so great! You are doing a nobel thing and taking a great risk, I just wanted to commend you for it. Some friendly advice, focus your energy on educating your patients and empowering them to take responsiblity for their own health. “There are no Incurable Dieseases just Incurable People” Dr. Christopher

• Sophie says

Really evil statement. I have an Incurable disease it’s not because I’m an in curable patient I take responsibility for my disease and try most things that may help none have, yet but I do not need anyone making me feel its because I’m not trying hard enough. . Her son is also not an incurable patient but he has an Incurable disease it’s treatable and maybe diet ect will help a lot but if it doesn’t cure him its not down to him.

• Gwyn says

Thank you Sophie. I don’t think it was really Tasheena’s intent (I think her intention was all good) and I don’t know if the quote comes across differently in full context but I too take personal offense to the quote the way it is.

This recipe sounds very much like a vapor rub recipe – I would consider it for both pain & congestion relief! Great post, Jillee! Love your blog!

9. Brenda says

Jillee, first of all, I agree, you one amazing son there!!!! He has had more to deal with in his 17 years then most of us have to deal with in a lifetime!!!! Kudos Kell!!! I also have a pretty amazing son (and Daughter-in-Law)!!! 7 years ago, they were BOTH hit by a car while crossing the street in a crosswalk!!! The driver claims she didn’t see them due to morning sun. That may very well be true, BUT, she passed a line of cars tat had already stopped for the redlight!!! My son, who had to be revived on scene, had a broken neck, fractured ribs, a compound femur fracture, and, had to have emergency plastic surgery to reconstruct his left cheekbone, and eye socket!!! His then High School sweetheart (He was 18, and, she 16) had a long list of injuries also!!! 7 years later, they are happily married, and, just welcomed their second child, a son!!! They are in constant pain!!! I am going to make this for them, for the obvious reason that they are also comcerned about taking so much medication, BUT, this will also be perfect for my Daughter-in-Law!!! You see, even though it means she can not take pain meds, putting her in immense daily pain, she INSISTS on breast feeding her babies until they are at least a year old, for their benefit!!! This is perfect for her!!! Thank you for yet another amazing DIY formula!!!