Sunday, September 30, 2012

Make Your Own Homemade Pain Relieving Cream

pain relieving lotion

I have a declaration to make today, and here it is:

My 17-year-old son Kell (aka…No. 2 Son) is an amazing kid!

I know, I know…we all think our kids are amazing…but allow me to share just exactly WHY I think this guy is so special.

Kell has had Type 1 Diabetes since 2 years old and wears an insulin pump 24/7 which is basically his “life support”.

He was diagnosed with Celiac’s Disease a couple of years ago and had to learn to live life without pizza, pasta, cakes and cookies or ANYTHING with gluten in it. Tough thing for a teenager!

And on top of all that, about 9 months ago he was diagnosed with a skeletal disorder that causes him a great deal of back pain. But the kid has been a trooper through it all and doesn’t let any of it get in his way.

That’s a whole lot of stuff he has to deal with every single day…and sometimes it will just strike me out of the blue (like today!) how much I admire his courage in dealing with all of it.  So, I just had to share with “the world” how proud I am of him. Thank you for listening.

I also wanted to share something that we’ve come up with that is helping him deal with the back pain. Something maybe you can benefit from as well.

aleveHis doctor has told him Aleve is the best thing to take for pain, but I worry about him taking so much pain medicine. So recently I’ve been on a quest to find a natural topical pain reliever that he can use to help cut back on the pills he needs to take.

Since one of the most effective treatments of his condition is massage to relax the muscles…I decided a lotion or cream of some sort would be ideal.

I was somewhat surprised to discover (or NOT discover) there is very little information out there about making your own natural pain reliever lotion. I did manage to find a few things here are there and realized that all of them contained the same basic ingredients. So armed with that information I set out to make my own formulation.

What I came up with is basically what amounts to a “massage oil”.

pain relieving lotion

Homemade Pain Relieving Cream

Ingredients:

1/2 cup Coconut Oil
2 teaspoons Beeswax pellets
2 teaspoons Camphor crystals or 5 drops Camphor oil
2 teaspoons Menthol crystals or 5 drops Peppermint oil
5 drops Eucalyptus oil

Melt the coconut oil and beeswax together. You can do this in the microwave, in a double boiler, or what I did was set a small saucepan on the stove for a minute or two and then turned the burner off and added the coconut oil and beeswax. Stir until melted.

Allow the mixture to cool for a few minutes, then add the camphor crystals or oil, the menthol crystals or oil, and the eucalyptus oil.

Put in a container and allow to cool completely. When it is completely cooled it will be a solid rather than liquid…but the minute it hits your warm skin…it will liquify again. That’s what coconut oil does, which makes it perfect for massaging onto sore muscles and joints.

pain relieving lotion

This amount of camphor, menthol and eucalyptus seems to be working for Kell…but you can increase the amount of each until you achieve the desired level of effectiveness for you without causing irritation.

pain relieving cream

And finally, if you don’t want to mess with making your own “base” cream….here is a A Super Simple Version of Homemade Pain Relieving Cream.

Just purchase a jar of Vitamin E Cream at just about any grocery, dollar or drug store and add the essential oils to that, and mix. Voila! Done.

Never miss a good thing!
Receive a daily dose of Jillee + bonus newsletters.

276 thoughts on “Make Your Own Homemade Pain Relieving Cream

1. Pingback: Make Your Own Homemade Pain Relieving Cream | One Good Thing by Jillee | Muskegonvegan's Blog

2. Trish

I have to agree, that is one impressive (and handsome) son you have! And thank you also for the recipe for pain relief cream…Kell’s mother never ceases to impress me too :-) Question–is the odor of the cream strong enough that others “know” you have it on? And Kell, how long do you get relief from this cream?

Many thanks,
    Trish in Spokane, Wa

1. Sally

PLEASE look into comfrey. It was called knit bone by native americans, and I will always swear it’s what saved my son’s leg after a bad motorcycle wreck, missing 3.5″ of bone. It has great healing properties. You can make an poultice, (search on youtube) an ointment, a water base infusion, just about any way you want to use it. I have a broken bone in my knee right now, 6 wks old and I’m able to put full weight on it. It’s my ‘go to’ healing herb for many! different things. Blessings

2. laxminaiidu

What. Type. Of. Essential oil can. You. Name. Pls. My mother who. Is. 90 years. Old has lots of pain in her. Legs I am. Scared to give pain. Killers. To her but am. Helpless. Cos. Her old. Fracture pains. Are. Very sevier at. Time pls. Help

3. Anita

I know this is a natural site but many many people I know have been helped by this mostly natural lotion. It’s called 2 OLD Goats. It can be purchased at feed and farm stores.
      go to wwwtwooldgoats.com or call 1-866-324-3787.
      It contains
      LAVENDER
      CHAMAMILLE
      ROSEMARY
      ECCALYPTUS
      PEPPERMINT
      BIRCH BARK
      GOATS MILK

3. Amanda J.

Have you looked into clove oil? With it you’ve just made the recipe for tiger balm. Clove oil dulls the nerves to relieve pain. Also capsicum (or whatever the heat comes from in hot peppers). They’ve done studies using it instead of narcotics post surgery.

1. Spicy Stacie

I’ve heard capsicum can act as a pain reliever somewhere (don’t remember where) but just watch-out using it topically. We work with this stuff everyday (for spice mixes) and it can very easily be a skin irritant. Just to give you an idea, 0.075% Capsicum powder by weight (with other bland food powders making up the remaining 99.925%) will cause sneezing, coughing, etc. And direct skin contact with concentrated capsicum liquid or powder can cause heat rashes (like cutting up hot peppers can but many times worse).

I think the clove oil sounds neat though. Never heard of that one before.

1. alicia

I too have an autoimmune disorder and have lots of pain and inflammation. I have used clove oil on my gums for nerve pain related to my TMD (temporal mandibular joint dysfunction); it works great! Apply with a Q tip. Based on experience, never apply capsicum (red pepper oil) to broken skin. I had a doctor prescribe it for shingles and it just made a painful condition worse. Emu oil applied topically relieves pain, and I was wondering how hard it is to obtain, although coconut oil is readily available at the grocery store. Thanks so much for this information!

2. Elizabeth

I, too, have used capsicum directly on my skin (knuckles, elbows, other joints) for pain relief. I had a roll-on tube of it, and I got agonizing burns from it…. I wouldn’t take it internally for fear of internal burning, too. Of course, I’ve not used it again. Thanks for some other suggestions!

1. Mark Rich

I use capsicum for everything including stomach ulcers. The myth everybody thinks is that it will cause holes to burn in your stomach. NOT TRUE. Cayenne pepper as, I call it, rushes blood to the damaged sore and helps in healing the problem. Cayenne pepper is the one plant of choice I would have in my First Aid kit if I had only one choice. If you can handle the hotness on a cut, if you put it on the problem area it will heal the cut and cause little to no scar. I personally have used it for what I have been talking about. I also take it internally for low and high blood pressure. It is a miracle plant that used in moderation will greatly be a benefit to a persons life. Do your research on the web and you’ll be surprised at what you can do with it. I use to work at the company that makes Natures Way products in Utah. I got to know the different spices and herbs they use in their product. I was a tablet and capsule maker on the line. Just working in the atmosphere with all the herb dusts, my health became so much better. Back to my cayenne pepper . They use the pepper in their combination formulas because it is used as a support to the formula. I am sorry for my rambling on . As you can see from experience personally I am converted to cayenne (Capsicum) for so many uses of which I have mentioned and even more I have not talked about . It is a natural antibiotic.

2. Alison

Oil of Cloves is also great to relieve a toothache until you can get to the dentist. When you used to get freezing at the dentist you could always taste the cloves!

1. Beth

My son had a real bad toothache and had to go to work that day, so I made an emergency run to the pharmacy to find him something. The pharmacist gave me cloves for him to use, worked wonders, no more pain.

1. April

Last fall, I ended up with a dry socket (blood clot fell out too soon), The dentist’s office used a little pouch that was filled with ground up cloves, had to keep that in the hole & it did wounders for the pain!! And tasted good too :)

3. rananda

Clove oil has done wonders for me for decades. I now make a tincture using whole cloves (the fresher the better) filled to the brim in a jar and then again filled with good vodka. Let it sit, shaking it up every day or two, for at least 2 weeks. Strain, and then pour on top of a very stiff balm such as coconut oil. I also put in a homemade cannabis lotion (or tincture, treated the same as the clove). Then add arnica, celery oil (or tincture, made same as clove), Camphor oil, to get the nice heat from the clove, and the cold from the camphor. I also put ginger and garlic, as anti-inflammatories, as well as their ability to leach OUT what is inside causing the pain. It’s a great mix that smells heavenly, warms, cools, and makes the pain go away for hours, and hours. If you can’t get the cannabis, it doesn’t work as well, but with all the rest, it works magic none the less! I’ve been using it on sciatica, degenerative disks, arthritis, a broken hip that didn’t heal right, fibromyalgia, and lately plantar fasciitis. After rubbing it in for 10-20 minutes for each zone, after about 10 minutes after that, it’s golden for HOURS.

1. Shelly

Can you give exact measurements so I can make this please? Also where do you get all these ingredients, I imagine it isn’t easy to find cannabis for your homemade lotion, which I’d also need recipe for? lol

2. magicwillow

I like your info it is helping me. I was looking for things to go with cannabis oil (or tincture) to help my wife is has a lot of the things you talked about let me know how much you mix of each and do you use medical grade cannabis because they are all different. looking forward to your help

3. Elissa

Rinada, I just stumbled on this page and LOVE IT! I am an esthetician and purchasing Essential Oils can be expensive, plus depending on the brand you buy, (to me) makes a difference. I would love, love, love to learn how to make my own lotions, potions and oils! If you have some time and could just point me in the right direction (a link or so) I would sincerely appreciate it! I’m leaving for Colorado Springs this coming Wed. to see my family but will be able to get online from my mom’s.

Looking forward to “chatting” with you! I’m on FB as well: Elissa Levy-Penn

Thanks!

4. Scott

I guess Rananda never did respond to the measurements of the ingredients that so many asked about. Did anyone follow up on this and have a measurement for each of the ingredients?

1. Gwyn

She probably isn’t ignoring the requests just so you all know. The problem is unless she comes back to check she won’t know that people are asking. Maybe if Jillee has a way to get in touch with Rananda she will for us but I don’t know if she has a way to do that either. It’s too bad because I would love to the details as well.

5. Tricia

Rananda,
        That is a great sounding rub…I would like to try that on my grma who suffers from arthritis and refuses to take medication. I wonder if you have a more detailed recipe and suggestions on where to find some of these items such as the cannabis lotion.
        Thanks for sharing!
        Tricia

6. Peggy

I”m curious about how much cannabis and how is it made into tincture? Like the clove, covered with vodka? Can you give a bit more of measurements? My husband suffers badly from degenerative disk disease, arthritis, cervical stenosis, We have made our own rub but it separates. How does yours do with the coconut oil? Thank you!

4. Ryanps777

I add the clove oil, Cheyenne, and cinnamon oil to mine when I make it. I have also found that using powdered spices works almost as well as the essential oils.

4. Deb

Jillee, first, I want to tell how much I absolutely love your blog (I follow you on Pinterest).

I also want to tell you how much I respect and admire your son, Kell! I also have type 1 diabetes which was diagnosed when I was 17 (I’m currently 52). That in itself is more than enough for anyone to handle, without adding to that his other illnesses and that he’s also had to deal with growing up. It must be so incredibly challenging! He must be an awesome individual and an inspiration to so many. Three cheers for him!

AND I want to thank you and your family. Sometimes I think illnesses are as hard and sometimes harder on those that love “us” leaving them feeling helpless. Quite often, thank God, it is just a fact of our life and we don’t really know any different … Remember just being there is HUGE! Loving us, supporting us, hugging us is quite often all we need BUT not treating us any differently is what is needed most.

I am currently going through a bad patch and I can’t say enough how much I appreciate all the love, support and understanding I’ve received from all areas of my life — family, friends, co-workers, employer, etc. even a couple of my medical team members quite often hug me!

Thanks for sharing his story and your wonderful blog.

5. Andrea Treadwell

My daughter & I are both type 1 (I was diagnosed at 6 and she was at 4) and wear pumps. She is 12 and a cross country runner. This will be great for her achy legs! Thanks!

6. Marielle

Another neat idea of yours I can’t wait to try. Thanks for sharing!
    And…there are gluten free flour substitutes you can make that you can use cup for cup in baking. Jules gluten free has one that can even be used in bread. I have one in a cookbook that can be used in cake & cookies, but not bread. There are gluten free rice pastas, too. And gluten free cake mixes…even Betty Crocker. There are alot of websites with some fantastic gluten free recipes. You don’t need to miss out on favorite foods, just change them up a little by using different flours.

1. Geralyn_D

I first switched to gluten-free products then had to try other things as gluten-free products are so highly refined(equal to white bread) and it tore up my yeast infected guts. I hear the rate of diabetes are going up with gluten sensitivities due to the refined flours and starches that are the gluten-free “norm”.

7. Karen

You have an amazing son, and you are an amazing mom! I have a collagen disorder and deal with pain on a daily basis. I am definitely going to try this out! Also, you might want to research tumeric. It is a common item in Indian food, but it is also a natural anti-inflammatory and is very helpful. :)
    Thanks again!
    Karen

1. Monica

By chance do you have Ehler-danlos syndrome? What else have you found to help? my daughter has had back pain for 18 months, and the rheumatologist suspects Ehler-Danlos but we havn’t seen a geneticist yet.

1. Missie

I was wondering the same thing when I saw this comment. The Orthopedic Dr. I saw after my last gross dislocation strongly suspected EDS. I’m almost 30 anyway and have delt with sublaxations and dislocations for as long as I can remember. So, after ruling out the more dangerous type with an EKG I decided not to go through with the genetic testing. It just wasn’t worth the out of pocket costs to me to put a name on something that wont kill me and has no treatment anyway. That said, I am very intrigued by the disorder and read up on it as much as I can, given the possibility that this is indeed what I may have. I would absolutely love to hear from other people who either have it or are suspected to have it as I’ve never had the chance to meet anyone who does. Like you, I’d be interested in hearing what helps others with the pain. I deal with sublaxations (partial dislocations) of the shoulder joints on a daily basis, so even doing my hair gets painful and I refuse to take otc meds every day. I did recently buy a bottle of turmeric capsules but have not really been taking them religiously. Karen, what has been an effective amount of turmeric for you? I’d love to hear from either of you, spitefulilsprite@live.com. Thanks:)

1. StoneMaven

I take Turmeric, 750mg caps twice daily for my knees (softening of the back of the patella and joint inflammation on both). It is a miracle! I’ve gone from bad limping, climbing stairs left foot up, step up, left foot up, rather than left-right-left, and painful rising from chairs to almost pain free. My joint pain is reduced to the point that I can walk without limping and can manage a flight of stairs normally. I now have my husband on it (torn rotator cuff, both shoulders) and he is sleeping through the night and waking up largely pain free. It took about a week for me to notice the difference. The action is anti-inflammatory rather than analgesic, so relief isn’t like Advil, but it is more lasting. If I skip a day or two, I get achy again, so it is a quick reminder to take it. I’ve also added ginger and bromelian to my regimen and am looking forward to seeing if they accentuate the turmeric.

1. Mary Francis

Where can I find Turmeric Capsules? I have painful knees and joints all over Aleve doesn’t help Advil takes the edge off some. I do steps the way you used to do altho its my right leg first to go down steps in my house ( 2 ) from kitchen I go down backwards as it hurts to bend my left knee

2. Tricia

I have read that adding black pepper helps your body absorb the tumeric by 2000%. Found a great recipe for “honey milk” using tumeric, black pepper…..awesome night time drink
            Tricia

2. Kristin

I was diagnosed with Ehlers Danlos Syndrome 12 years ago, my mother and my children also have EDS. I would be happy to answer any questions you may have, anytime. Funny to find this here! I followed a link here from Pinterest to look for DIY skin and haircare, then this pain reliever caught my eye, and then to find posts about EDS (which is extremely rare, most people have no idea what it is) is unreal!

There are 8 types of EDS, and there are only a couple of tests for (at this time) two of those types. Please be warned an EKG cannot rule out any of the types of EDS, especially not vascular. It can only rule out any immediate danger of a aortic fissure or tear. That is why we have to be tested every year to keep track of any changes (and I don’t even have the vascular type.) There are very serious problems that can arise with all types, and this is a progressive disorder- if you are showing symptoms, then you unfortunately can be assured that they will progress with age. And although unfortunately there is no cure, symptoms can be managed.

Anyway, nice to meet you, and blessings on finding answers!

1. Lewann Rice

Kristin,
            Hi My 16 year old daughter has just been diagnosed with EDS w/hyper mobility. She has always been such an active child and within a very short time she has become unable to use/ put weight on her left leg. She is in so much pain it is killing me watching her suffer so much. I understand how much pain effects your life. I was in a severe car accident in 05 and I suffer from Fibromyalgia, Chronic neck and lower back pain. I also have PCOS and Celiac Disease. Fun I know! LOL

My daughter is having a very hard time being in so much pain. She needs someone to talk to about it with someone around her age that is going through the same thing. I know this is not something that is usually asked of you but would you mind emailing me and my daughter???

My email is lulurice79@gmail.com

If this is too weird I understand. I am just trying to get my baby any support possible!

Thanks!
            Lewann

2. viagra

I am really loving the theme/design of your website.
      Do you ever run into any internet browser compatibility issues?
      A handful of my blog readers have complained about my website not working correctly in Explorer but looks great in Chrome.
      Do you have any tips to help fix this problem?

8. amy

I too have a son to be very proud of :o) he was diagnosed with crohns disease at 8, he’s now 16 and if that hasn’t been enough of a life path to travel…last labor day, 2011, he broke his neck at c6….and through my two bad marriages he has had to step up and be the man of the house…he is a special person to say the least…and I love him very much….thank u also for listening….and thank you for the pain relieving cream, we will use it on hos back and neck to hopefully relieve the ongoing pain and aches he has from the neck injury…..sincerely and blessing for ur family,Amy :o)

1. Susan

Amy,
      Pain responds well to acupuncture. Community Acupuncture Network is a growing movement across the world (not just the US). It offers affordable acupuncture in a group setting on a sliding scale. Anywhere from $15-30 session. Having acupuncture freqeuntly, initially allows your body to become pain free. It has been a lifesaver for me! here’s a link to find a clinic near you. Also, the movement is spreading quickly, so if there isn’t a clinic near you now, there may be one soon. http://www.pocacoop.com/

9. Anna

I do not want to seem alarmist, but I do feel obligated to take a minute to comment on one of the ingredients in your pain relieving balm. Please use caution (and encourage your readers to do the same) with use of camphor. I recently learned (in a nursing class that I am taking at Arizona State University) that camphor is not as safe as it once was thought to be. Camphor is very poisonous if swallowed. It is the main ingredient in many types of moth balls and pesticides. It contains chemicals which are known by the FDA to be carcinogens. The American Academy of Family Physicians and the American Academy of Pediatrics both warn against the use of camphor products. Camphor contains chemicals which can be absorbed through the skin and have been linked to cancer, birth defects, and stillbirth. Camphor overdose, which can occur via ingestion or use on the skin, can cause seizures and respiratory distress, and death in children and pets. In smaller doses, Camphor toxicity is expressed through nausea and agitation. There are also researchers at present who think that Camphor may be implicated as a cause of certain nerve disorders.

Here is some more information on the known dangers of Camphor: http://www.nyc.gov/html/doh/html/epi/camphor.shtml

1. Juju

Just an FYI about camphor safety…it is FDA-approved as a topical painkiller in 3-11% concentrations. So exercising our math brains may be in order to keep us safe from harm. By my calculations (you may want to make your own calculations just to be safe), Jillee’s recipe makes a 6.67% preparation (using the crystals), so it is well within the FDA-approved range. It is also important to remember that camphor should never be taken by mouth nor put on broken or injured skin due to its rapid absorption. Toxicity can occur quickly within 5-90 minutes. Signs of toxicity include burning mucous membranes of the mouth and throat, nausea, vomiting, seizures, respiratory distress and unconsciousness. And as always recommended, keep out of reach of children.

Jillee…just love your blog! I am printing out my favorites and keeping them in 3 fancy designer-look notebooks with dividers: one for recipes, one for hints, and one for crafty ideas. I have shared so many of your “good” things with my friends, family, and co-workers. They can’t wait to see what you are coming up with next! *Kudos!* to you for being a great inspiration, especially to your kids!

1. Anna

Like I said, I’m not trying to be alarmist, but I just felt like readers of the blog should be aware of this issue. Obviously Jill’s son is old enough that he’s not going to be accidentally ingesting the cream, but readers with younger children may need to make sure that they aren’t using the cream on a young child, nor keeping it within reach of a child. Also, the container that you keep your cream in should be labeled and contain a written warning. It’s also important to pay attention to your concentrations when making this, and it would probably be wise for pregnant women to avoid it altogether. This is definitely worth noting I think.

1. karen

thanks for thanks for the warning.as i DO have little ones who would try to eat it. i reading this and thinking how it might help my husband with his back pain.but my youngest would try yo eat it so i think it be best to hold off until he older.

2. Denise

I use camphor in my homemade “vicks”. I am currently in a masters Herbalist class and it is fine. FDA approved and herbalist approved. Just dont eat it. ;) you said… “It contains chemicals which are known by the FDA to be carcinogens.” thats a new one one me. I will present this to my instructor and fellow students both past and present to see what they have to say about that. And not for nothing, you were at a federally and state funded universary. they are very much against herbs and natural treatments and are all for the pharmacology and synthetic drugs. i would take what they say about natural products with a grain of salt.

1. Tasheena

I personally would keep the whole block of salt handy, a lot of suffering for greed. You’re going to help a lot of people Denise. The need is so great! You are doing a nobel thing and taking a great risk, I just wanted to commend you for it. Some friendly advice, focus your energy on educating your patients and empowering them to take responsiblity for their own health. “There are no Incurable Dieseases just Incurable People” Dr. Christopher

1. Sophie

Really evil statement. I have an Incurable disease it’s not because I’m an in curable patient I take responsibility for my disease and try most things that may help none have, yet but I do not need anyone making me feel its because I’m not trying hard enough. . Her son is also not an incurable patient but he has an Incurable disease it’s treatable and maybe diet ect will help a lot but if it doesn’t cure him its not down to him.

1. Gwyn

Thank you Sophie. I don’t think it was really Tasheena’s intent (I think her intention was all good) and I don’t know if the quote comes across differently in full context but I too take personal offense to the quote the way it is.

10. Brenda

Jillee, first of all, I agree, you one amazing son there!!!! He has had more to deal with in his 17 years then most of us have to deal with in a lifetime!!!! Kudos Kell!!! I also have a pretty amazing son (and Daughter-in-Law)!!! 7 years ago, they were BOTH hit by a car while crossing the street in a crosswalk!!! The driver claims she didn’t see them due to morning sun. That may very well be true, BUT, she passed a line of cars tat had already stopped for the redlight!!! My son, who had to be revived on scene, had a broken neck, fractured ribs, a compound femur fracture, and, had to have emergency plastic surgery to reconstruct his left cheekbone, and eye socket!!! His then High School sweetheart (He was 18, and, she 16) had a long list of injuries also!!! 7 years later, they are happily married, and, just welcomed their second child, a son!!! They are in constant pain!!! I am going to make this for them, for the obvious reason that they are also comcerned about taking so much medication, BUT, this will also be perfect for my Daughter-in-Law!!! You see, even though it means she can not take pain meds, putting her in immense daily pain, she INSISTS on breast feeding her babies until they are at least a year old, for their benefit!!! This is perfect for her!!! Thank you for yet another amazing DIY formula!!!

11. Liz

What an amazing and handsome son you have! And what enviable strength you have as a mother to stand by and encourage when you can’t ‘fix’ it for him.

I have to share a recent discovery on pain. Magnesium lotion or oil is as good as, if not better than, any OTC pain meds. You can purchase it on Amazon and a number of other sites. I have even found it at some health food stores. The only side effects are that it is good for you. There’s tons of research online to support that claim. There’s also a ‘recipe’ out there to make your own, but I can’t put my hands on it right now.

I am not a doctor or health professional. I just know what works for me as a Type 2 with continuing back pain from a broken neck years ago. I’ve ‘blind’ tested it on quite a few friends/acquaintances with very positive results just to make sure it wasn’t a placebo effect. I’ve tried lots of creams, pills, exercises, adjustments, etc. over the years and nothing comes close. It even ‘healed’ a shoulder issue when the docs said surgery was the only choice. I am still angry that I didn’t know about this sooner.

With all the wonderful things you have shared with me, I felt I had to tell you about this so you can help your son. Thank you for all you do and best wishes to you and your family!

12. Carol Samsel

Your son is amazing which is no surprise considering his parentage! I suffer from cronic pain ans am concerned with all of the meds they prescribe for me too. I have found an orderless pain cream that I purchase at my chiropractors office. It’s called Traumeel. I have also purchased it on Ebay before too. It does not heat up but I find it very effective and the order less quality is great for me.

13. Lucy

Thank you for your DIY! Having been diagnosed with an autoimmune disease and subsequently going gluten free as part of my treatment, I feel for your (amazing!) son! (Boy do I miss pasta.)

Because I have seen such improvement, I just have to share this. I know there are so many gluten free options out there, but what I have found through my doctor and my own research, is that all grains (including rice and corn, common “replacements” for wheat flour) contain some level of gluten protein, and depending on your level of illness, can hold back recovery. Again, this depends on your level of intolerance and low gluten levels may not affect everyone, but I know if I were still eating rice or corn products, I wouldn’t be where I’m at today. Just something to think about. It’s helped me greatly and I couldn’t NOT share.

Love your site, I check it everyday!!

1. Laura Pustejovsky

Yes, Lucy is right. So many of the “gluten free” websites, recipes and most importantly, processed foods contain either rice or corn products. I am only a year and a half into my gluten intolerance diagnosis and although my ailments are not nearly as serious as an autoimmune disease, diabetes, crohns, or celiac, my doctor (and countless websites) stresses the importance of a True Gluten or Grain Free diet. It is not easy as hidden sources of corn or grain are in many items – canned foods, processed gluten free foods and condiments containing white vinegar or vanilla. I was introduced to this blog by a friend and although I haven’t had the time to complete all the projects I have saved, I enjoy reading them and am not only impressed with you, Jillie but am amazed at the strength and perserverance of your son. Looking forward to this pain relieving cream – wish I had this through my older (now 18) son’s many sleepless nights of growing pains.

2. Angel

Maybe that’s why my chiropractor proposed the paleo diet. I was diagnosed with RA 21 years ago and he believes that would help me. I’m taking one day at a time and eliminating foods slowly. Right now, I’m going gluten free and probably in about 4 months, I’ll be grain free. I think the thing I’ll miss the most is chips and salsa :(

Yes, thanks for informing us about the grains. I didn’t know that either.

14. Sue Weiss

Hi. I love your blog ideas! FYI, the BEST all-natural pain relief cream I’ve ever used is from EvergreenOrientalMedicine.com . It is called Five Flavors Balm. It smells like spice drop candy to me. It penetrates deeply and releases tight muscles. My sister-in-law with debilitating fibromyalgia tried it at my house years ago. She says she will never be without it because it truly works.

15. Linda

I hate to hear stories of young people having to go thru so much medical issures, it is bad enough as we get older and the aches and pains and other issues attack your body. He sounds like a great kid and a lot has to do with who raised him, so pat yourself and dad on the back too. Also stories like this make me realize I am not the only one going thru issues and just have to learn to live with it. I have also noticed that my pain tolerance level has gotten higher as I have gotten older. At 73 I just am glad I have my mind (most of the time) and can get around even though I am slow and have caught my gteat-grandchildren copying my walk LOL. And you know what if you use a cane or walker, people are so much nicer to you, which is another topic, why aren’t they nice to all people? LOve your blog, read it first thing everyday and wonder how you have time to do all you do. I get the opinon you work at an outside job and the blogg and family. You go girl!!! Take care.

16. Adrienne White

Look into dmso cream/gel. I’ve recently started using this with very good results. I purchased pre-mixed at the health food store, but you can also mix your own using 100% aloe with pure dmso. It’s very smelly (like garlic) so I use at night and wake up with affected area feeling great!

1. Melissa m

Lol… Well that explains my 3rd child! Couldn’t figure out why the birth control failed but I was taking St. John’s wort at the time so your post is an eye opener to me!

17. Helen Verte

I have been following your blog for a couple weeks now and it is amazing. I originally found it through FB links. Someone posted your “how to make detergent” link.

I was drawn into comment today about your son. He is such a handsome young man, so courageous and what a positive attitude he has! I am walking away today with a lesson from him. :-)

18. Loren

Since discovering your site a couple months ago, I have fallen in love with almost everything that you have here.

I thought I would give back and pass on some information I heard on NPR the other day. This lady is a British Scientist that has had some discoveries and breakthroughs that might be of interest to you. I don’t know if this information will help your son but here it is anyway just in case.

http://www.npr.org/2012/09/27/161888074/british-scientist-driven-to-find-spark-of-life. She talks about how she found the connection between natural body electricity and how the pancreas secrets insulin for people born with diabetes. As I said, I don’t know if this information will be helpful to you and your son but the information is worth sharing.

Good Luck to you and yours.

1. Jillee Post author

thank you Loren! I am ALWAYS interested in new research regarding Type 1 Diabetes. When Kell was diagnosed 15 years ago…they said that within 10 years there would be a cure. We’re still waiting….

1. Loren

OMGoodness Jillee, there was no thanks needed. All that you give to us on a regular basis, passing on information is the least I can do. I hope in the long run that it will be helpful to your GORGEOUS and incredibly STRONG son.

19. Nancy Reynolds

Hey Jill, What a handsome young man Kell is turning out to be. (can’t help it with pretty parents ^,^) And what a tropper. That smile is worth a million dollars.
    Like most of your other recipes this one looks like a winner so I am going to try this one out. Question – does this cause any skin burning? I have used arnica oil successfully for joint pain since it causes no burning. Maybe I’ll add it to this mix when I try making it.
    You are quite an inspiration. My house has never been cleaner – it’s so much more fun to clean when we make our own cleaners and know the ingredients (and choose our own smells). Thanks so much and keep it up. I am directing people to your site like crazy.
    PS – I have a beautiful 17 year old daughter who siad “…Whoa !!…” when she saw Kells picture.

1. Jillee Post author

Kell has never mentioned it causing any burning at all. I have tried it on my hands and haven’t felt any burning either.
      hehe about your daughter. ;-) I’m sure Kell would have the same reaction to seeing her! 17 year olds! ;-)

20. Simone Zoe

Hi Jillee, I suffer from chronic pain for which I need to take narcotic pain medication several times a day. I recently saw a physical therapist for an evaluation, and she suggested Bowen Therapy. I’d never even heard of it before, but I looked it up online (there are quite a few videos on youtube) and decided to give it a go. The best way to describe it is like a chiropractor, but for your muscles. (I won’t blather on into detail since you can find plenty of information online if you are interested.) It isn’t painful at all, it just gently re-aligns your muscles back to where they’re supposed to be. I can honestly say it has helped me more than any pills, creams, or other physical therapy has. I don’t know if this will be helpful to your son (or any others reading this that are in pain) but I strongly suggest at least checking it out. Take care, SZ :) (p.s., love your blog!)

1. Diana H.

Simone, my fiance suffers from chronic back pain and is also on narcotics. I am looking into Bowen Therapy now that you have suggested it. Can you give me anymore information on it and how effective it is for you? He is looking to detox but he is going to need something to help him manage his pain. I’m going to try this creme, however I don’t think it will completely do the trick. flipflopdismount@gmail.com

21. Lou

Wow, your son really is an inspiration!
    I would echo the previous commenter who mentioned arnica – I have a (German) store bought pain relieving cream of arnica and eucalyptus that I use when I have been doing endurance events and my muscles ache. Also, my dog, who cannot take conventional medicine because of weak kidneys and has a fractured leg, is taking homoeopathic arnica drops to relieve the pain he is in.

22. ruth

well, everything that I could say has been said so I will just add dido to them all. I also copy your reciepes and have ring binders and use page protectors for them all. I put on the outside what is in the binder ie household hints, medicine, laundry. I would like to also say I am using your dishwasher reciepe and it is great going to make it for presents to my family, this year . I always make a basket for each family. Very awesome son you have.
    ruth

23. Sandy

First let me say Jillee – I love your website and have used many of your post in the last couple of weeks – Homemade laudry det. is great, when I read your post today about homemade pain relievers – I told my husband I knew it was going to contain Camphor and this is a wonderful agent to use to help with pain and inflammation – I am a Nurse and I broke my foot approx 9 weeks ago – I have had alot of pain and I can’t take pain meds without getting sick to my stomach – a patient of my told me about Camphor and how to use it as a pain rub – like others have posted it can be harmful if swallowed or if too much is mixed in with your oil – if used properly it is a wonderful herbal analgesic rub (my husband has also been using it for a twisted ankle – with much relief noted) Like you Jillee, we are trying to get back to the basic and live off the land and with what we have on hand – Again I love, love your site – Please keep up with the great tips and ideas.

24. Ana Reyes

Wow! Your son is so beautiful. His eyes show so much light. Thanks for sharing his pic with all of us.
    My wishes for strength and health to go him. I’ll give a try to this new recipe of yours.
    I have my own simple formula for my pains (neck and back)… It took me some time to find something I could take to the office and not having people complaining about smells of lavender, eucaliptus, rosemary and so on… (smells I looooove!) I always carry a little bottle with me just in case pain shows up unexpected.
    It is a very simple formula…
    1 l. of baby cologne (it is supposed to be soft to the skin)…
    FRESH Rosemary leaves (let’s say a handful)
    2 Table spoons of camphor crystals.
    Mix vigorously all together and let it sit for a week (minimum)
    After this time pass it through a sieve and TADAAAAAAH.
    I’ve discovered this “cologne” lasts more than a year. But to be honest as I use it very often I have to make several batches a year. For my personal use and for family and friends… They love it.
    All you have to do is apply it with a massage. Soft or intense.
    Recently I also found out that it aliviates my legs during the summer. It really soothes the burning sensation. But it is advisable to apply some cream or mosturizing lotion afterwards.
    Sending you lots of love
    Ana

25. Ashley

I have seen you use doterra essential oils before. Have you ever used the oil blend called deep blue. I also think your son would benefit greatly from there lifjust e long vitality pack. I follow your blog everyday and have just feel in love with all the neat things you post. I hope you look into this if you have not allready done so. Thank you and God bless your family.

26. AnnW

Magnesium also works to ward off or lessen the severity of migraines. There have been some pain studies but I don’t have a handle on them. I have had chronic pain and found acupuncture and massage to be really helpful. I would look into community acupuncture right away. It is reasonably priced and rapidly growing. I went to a continuing education seminar recently highlighting a pain specialist. He said he would not take on fibromyalgia patients unless they agreed to do water aerobics several times a week. I can attest to its efficacy. I have improved my bone density with water aerobics alone. Ann W RPh.

1. Jillee Post author

Thanks Kristin. :-) Even though he can test my patience to its’ limits sometimes (he IS 17 after all! lol) I do think he’s pretty cute! Course I’m ALL kinds of prejudice. ;-)

27. Jillee Post author

I just wanted to send out a heartfelt “THANK YOU” to everyone who took time to leave a comment today. It really meant a lot to me (and Kell, although I’m sure he won’t admit it! lol). It’s not always easy to share personal struggles and challenges…but inevitably when I do I am always so moved and grateful for those of you who share back. So thank you. Again.

28. Tiffany

In aromatherapy camphor oil is considered toxic. Rarely used in massage because of its toxicities. Best used for vapor therapy. Camphor oil is classed as a convulsant and neurotoxin and the brown and yellow varieties are considered carcinogenic. Overdosing can cause convulsions and vomiting and pregnant women as well as people suffering from epilepsy and asthma should not use it. Eucalyptus can also make extra work for the liver when used longer than 2 weeks at a time. Certainly not trying to be a fearmonger but your beautiful boy already has his fair share of challenges…and eliminating toxins is one of them with the type 1 diabetes and celiac both. There are much safer essential oils for pain. Wishing you both the best…

29. Amanda

hi jillee!
    your son is amazing!(and a cutie:) I’m also 17 and I can’t imagine dealing with everything I already do in life, plus having constant pain. thank you for writing this, it makes me feel entirely more grateful for my body, despite imperfections. I love your blog, it’s bookmarked on my phone:)

30. Marita

I have to admit I’ve never thought of making any kind of skin cream myself either! But there is a lot of other things you can do for natural pain relief. As for myself, I’m allergic to just about every Aleve or Advil type pain reliever out there so I’ve always had to look for alternatives. One of the best pain relievers are enzymes marketed as such (check vitacost for several different ones). My favorite one is Wobenzym. It’s been around for decades! You have to take it on an empty stomach and it kills off any kind of inflammation in your body. It’s just been a life saver for me. It’s also great if you accidentally eat gluten when you’re allergic to it (I don’t have celiac but am allergic to gluten) – I take a couple of the Wobenzyme pills and it gets rid of all the inflammation that the gluten has caused. Like I said, it’s been a life saver for me!

Anyway good luck to you and Kell! Oh yes, for topical pain relievers you can also try anything that’s homeopathic which works great too; anything with arnica in it, or hypericum is great for bruising pains and such. Oh yes and Biofreeze gel is amazing too. It has similar ingredients to what you’ve used here.

31. Cynthia

Thanks so much, Jillee, for this post.
    We all have moments when we need a nice muscle rub, and I like the idea of this because you know what’s going into it. My fiancee has been using IcyHot like crazy lately, because he has a lot of knee and ankle issues. I’m going to make this for him very soon.
    I think the rest of your readers will join me in saying Hello to Kell and Way to go, kid! You’re right, in that not a lot of people have his strength and courage to make it through life with such issues and setbacks. I know I don’t. Last year, I had appendicitis and that was tough enough for me.
    I think I’ve mentioned before that my older sister, Melissa, has type 1, and she just turned 39. She was diagnosed at 19. Since I was 3 at the time, I grew up watching her deal with and learn to live with the disease. My cousin, Josh, who is my age (23), is also type 1. Both use the pump, though Josh has been on it longer. Melissa has struggled with her weight and regulating her levels for years. And, most recently, it has affected her ability to start a family. Given that she is nearing 40, she is giving up on having a baby; which breaks my heart. I wish more than anything that she could have a child of her own. She was nearly like a mother to me, and she has so much love to give. I keep telling her that she isn’t having success with a child of her own so that she can play mother and spread her love to many more children. She loves to babysit and volunteer in the nursery at church and has, in the past, worked at daycare centers.
    My sister has served as one of the biggest inspirations in my life. The summer I turned 18, she was hospitalized for a Urinary Tract Infection, and was treated like dirt by the hospital staff. She was constantly given the wrong amount of insulin and the wrong ratio of carbs for the amount of insulin they gave her. The following September, for her birthday, I made her some Biscotti with Splenda, and announced that I had enrolled in culinary school for Baking & Pastry Arts, with the intention of opening a bakery to specialize in sugar-free confections. Through my classes, I learned a lot about Celiac Disease and decided to do several gluten-free options in my baking as well.
    Needless to say, culinary school was the most difficult thing I’ve ever done. And, while I am still working to come up with recipes and ideas as I pay off my student loans, my enthusiasm for this cause has not diminished a bit! It’s kids like your Kell that keep me going and working toward my goal!
    Jillee, you have to promise that when I open my storefront that you and Kell will come and pay me a visit! I’d LOVE to meet you all! Thanks so much for your inspirational story.

32. Leigh

I found the link to your home remedy on Pinterest. Wow – when I saw the picture of Kell and read about him, I am truly amazed! He is a precious young man in the picture. I had gestational diabetes with my first child and only dealt with that horrible disease for 3 months, so each and every person living with diabetes is a personal hero of mine. I am praying for a cure!

33. Heidi

Thanks so much for you website Jillee! I discovered it a couple months ago and have been using and tried some of your ideas and recipes. I too am a Type 1 Diabetic with Fibromyalgia and Psoriatic Arthritis. Waking up everyday is a struggle for me and although I am fairly young (mid 40′s), I feel like I’m 90 yrs old sometimes. I’ve been Type 1 since 2001 and have struggled with a rollercoaster of high and low blood sugars ever since, even with an insulin pump. Anyway, cudos to your son and his courage of living with Type 1. He is a real inspiration to me!

34. Lynn

What an awesome and handsome young man your son is…and he has a pretty awesome mom too! LOVE your blog and can’t wait to try this salve. Is there any particular reason you didn’t use doTERRA essential oils in this?
    Thanks for sharing this ‘recipe’ as well as all the other lotions, potions and great ideas you bring us!

35. Jen

Just wondering…if adding turmeric (spice) to the mix if that would help any??? Also, a friend of mine, who is diabetic, has been taking an apple cider vinegar / honey mixture daily and he has noticed that his pain has nearly disappeared!

36. cindy

thank you for the recipe.i am going to try it..as i have a serious back injry so i do know what your son going through,u cant ease back pain.as my muscles swell in my leg and lumbar from siactia putting more pressure on the nerves.bless you and your son.strong young man and a great mom by his side.good luck!

37. Denise

Hi Jillee! Thank you for sharing your story. What a good looking and amazing young man you have there! I was just here thinking who I could hook him up with! lol ;) I was wondering if you knew the shelf life of the cream. I am going to make some and split 1/2 of it between my mother and I and was just wondering what to tell her about how long she can use it for. Thanks again many times over… and over… and over… for all your great posts!!

1. Denise

Since you do not add any water to it (something about reduces the shelf life, but I do not remember exactly why), and since there are no citrus oils (they break down faster than other oils), a batch of this should be good at least 6 mos-1 year. I would even be comfortable using it beyond this time frame. Remember it will be liquid or at least runnier at a warmer temp, so keep it in a cool place, maybe even in the fride in the summer.