Make Your Own Homemade Pain Relieving Cream

pain relieving lotion

I have a declaration to make today, and here it is:

My 17-year-old son Kell (aka…No. 2 Son) is an amazing kid!

I know, I know…we all think our kids are amazing…but allow me to share just exactly WHY I think this guy is so special.

Kell has had Type 1 Diabetes since 2 years old and wears an insulin pump 24/7 which is basically his “life support”.

He was diagnosed with Celiac’s Disease a couple of years ago and had to learn to live life without pizza, pasta, cakes and cookies or ANYTHING with gluten in it. Tough thing for a teenager!

And on top of all that, about 9 months ago he was diagnosed with a skeletal disorder that causes him a great deal of back pain. But the kid has been a trooper through it all and doesn’t let any of it get in his way.

That’s a whole lot of stuff he has to deal with every single day…and sometimes it will just strike me out of the blue (like today!) how much I admire his courage in dealing with all of it.  So, I just had to share with “the world” how proud I am of him. Thank you for listening.

I also wanted to share something that we’ve come up with that is helping him deal with the back pain. Something maybe you can benefit from as well.

aleveHis doctor has told him Aleve is the best thing to take for pain, but I worry about him taking so much pain medicine. So recently I’ve been on a quest to find a natural topical pain reliever that he can use to help cut back on the pills he needs to take.

Since one of the most effective treatments of his condition is massage to relax the muscles…I decided a lotion or cream of some sort would be ideal.

I was somewhat surprised to discover (or NOT discover) there is very little information out there about making your own natural pain reliever lotion. I did manage to find a few things here are there and realized that all of them contained the same basic ingredients. So armed with that information I set out to make my own formulation.

What I came up with is basically what amounts to a “massage oil”.

pain relieving lotion

Homemade Pain Relieving Cream

Ingredients:

1/2 cup Coconut Oil
2 teaspoons Beeswax pellets
2 teaspoons Camphor crystals or 5 drops Camphor oil
2 teaspoons Menthol crystals or 5 drops Peppermint oil
5 drops Eucalyptus oil

Melt the coconut oil and beeswax together. You can do this in the microwave, in a double boiler, or what I did was set a small saucepan on the stove for a minute or two and then turned the burner off and added the coconut oil and beeswax. Stir until melted.

Allow the mixture to cool for a few minutes, then add the camphor crystals or oil, the menthol crystals or oil, and the eucalyptus oil.

Put in a container and allow to cool completely. When it is completely cooled it will be a solid rather than liquid…but the minute it hits your warm skin…it will liquify again. That’s what coconut oil does, which makes it perfect for massaging onto sore muscles and joints.

pain relieving lotion

This amount of camphor, menthol and eucalyptus seems to be working for Kell…but you can increase the amount of each until you achieve the desired level of effectiveness for you without causing irritation.

pain relieving cream

And finally, if you don’t want to mess with making your own “base” cream….here is a A Super Simple Version of Homemade Pain Relieving Cream.

Just purchase a jar of Vitamin E Cream at just about any grocery, dollar or drug store and add the essential oils to that, and mix. Voila! Done.

Share on Facebook8,107Tweet about this on Twitter106Pin on Pinterest43,373Google+15

Comments

1. Trish says

I have to agree, that is one impressive (and handsome) son you have! And thank you also for the recipe for pain relief cream…Kell’s mother never ceases to impress me too :-) Question–is the odor of the cream strong enough that others “know” you have it on? And Kell, how long do you get relief from this cream?

Many thanks,
    Trish in Spokane, Wa

2. Amanda J. says

Have you looked into clove oil? With it you’ve just made the recipe for tiger balm. Clove oil dulls the nerves to relieve pain. Also capsicum (or whatever the heat comes from in hot peppers). They’ve done studies using it instead of narcotics post surgery.

3. Deb says

Jillee, first, I want to tell how much I absolutely love your blog (I follow you on Pinterest).

I also want to tell you how much I respect and admire your son, Kell! I also have type 1 diabetes which was diagnosed when I was 17 (I’m currently 52). That in itself is more than enough for anyone to handle, without adding to that his other illnesses and that he’s also had to deal with growing up. It must be so incredibly challenging! He must be an awesome individual and an inspiration to so many. Three cheers for him!

AND I want to thank you and your family. Sometimes I think illnesses are as hard and sometimes harder on those that love “us” leaving them feeling helpless. Quite often, thank God, it is just a fact of our life and we don’t really know any different … Remember just being there is HUGE! Loving us, supporting us, hugging us is quite often all we need BUT not treating us any differently is what is needed most.

I am currently going through a bad patch and I can’t say enough how much I appreciate all the love, support and understanding I’ve received from all areas of my life — family, friends, co-workers, employer, etc. even a couple of my medical team members quite often hug me!

Thanks for sharing his story and your wonderful blog.

4. Andrea Treadwell says

My daughter & I are both type 1 (I was diagnosed at 6 and she was at 4) and wear pumps. She is 12 and a cross country runner. This will be great for her achy legs! Thanks!

5. Marielle says

Another neat idea of yours I can’t wait to try. Thanks for sharing!
    And…there are gluten free flour substitutes you can make that you can use cup for cup in baking. Jules gluten free has one that can even be used in bread. I have one in a cookbook that can be used in cake & cookies, but not bread. There are gluten free rice pastas, too. And gluten free cake mixes…even Betty Crocker. There are alot of websites with some fantastic gluten free recipes. You don’t need to miss out on favorite foods, just change them up a little by using different flours.

6. Karen says

You have an amazing son, and you are an amazing mom! I have a collagen disorder and deal with pain on a daily basis. I am definitely going to try this out! Also, you might want to research tumeric. It is a common item in Indian food, but it is also a natural anti-inflammatory and is very helpful. :)
    Thanks again!
    Karen

7. amy says

I too have a son to be very proud of :o) he was diagnosed with crohns disease at 8, he’s now 16 and if that hasn’t been enough of a life path to travel…last labor day, 2011, he broke his neck at c6….and through my two bad marriages he has had to step up and be the man of the house…he is a special person to say the least…and I love him very much….thank u also for listening….and thank you for the pain relieving cream, we will use it on hos back and neck to hopefully relieve the ongoing pain and aches he has from the neck injury…..sincerely and blessing for ur family,Amy :o)

8. Anna says

I do not want to seem alarmist, but I do feel obligated to take a minute to comment on one of the ingredients in your pain relieving balm. Please use caution (and encourage your readers to do the same) with use of camphor. I recently learned (in a nursing class that I am taking at Arizona State University) that camphor is not as safe as it once was thought to be. Camphor is very poisonous if swallowed. It is the main ingredient in many types of moth balls and pesticides. It contains chemicals which are known by the FDA to be carcinogens. The American Academy of Family Physicians and the American Academy of Pediatrics both warn against the use of camphor products. Camphor contains chemicals which can be absorbed through the skin and have been linked to cancer, birth defects, and stillbirth. Camphor overdose, which can occur via ingestion or use on the skin, can cause seizures and respiratory distress, and death in children and pets. In smaller doses, Camphor toxicity is expressed through nausea and agitation. There are also researchers at present who think that Camphor may be implicated as a cause of certain nerve disorders.

Here is some more information on the known dangers of Camphor: http://www.nyc.gov/html/doh/html/epi/camphor.shtml

9. Brenda says

Jillee, first of all, I agree, you one amazing son there!!!! He has had more to deal with in his 17 years then most of us have to deal with in a lifetime!!!! Kudos Kell!!! I also have a pretty amazing son (and Daughter-in-Law)!!! 7 years ago, they were BOTH hit by a car while crossing the street in a crosswalk!!! The driver claims she didn’t see them due to morning sun. That may very well be true, BUT, she passed a line of cars tat had already stopped for the redlight!!! My son, who had to be revived on scene, had a broken neck, fractured ribs, a compound femur fracture, and, had to have emergency plastic surgery to reconstruct his left cheekbone, and eye socket!!! His then High School sweetheart (He was 18, and, she 16) had a long list of injuries also!!! 7 years later, they are happily married, and, just welcomed their second child, a son!!! They are in constant pain!!! I am going to make this for them, for the obvious reason that they are also comcerned about taking so much medication, BUT, this will also be perfect for my Daughter-in-Law!!! You see, even though it means she can not take pain meds, putting her in immense daily pain, she INSISTS on breast feeding her babies until they are at least a year old, for their benefit!!! This is perfect for her!!! Thank you for yet another amazing DIY formula!!!