DIY Hair Detox

sea salt shampoo I have been having a “hair crisis” of sorts lately.

As I get older my hair is getting thinner, and so to COMPENSATE I’ve been using more and more hairspray! Not only am I using MORE hairspray…but I’ve even starting buying the “industrial strength” hairspray!  Can you say “Helmet Hair”?? :-)

Anyway, my hair has been feeling weighed down lately, and looking tired. Regular shampooing hasn’t helped, so I started looking around for something to detoxify and revive my wilted hair. Little did I know how simple it was.

All you need is:

Course Sea Salt    &   Your Favorite Shampoo

Full of minerals, sea salt de-greases hair, removing dead skin cells and dirt, without stripping natural oils. It also removes PRODUCT BUILD-UP which gives hair a LIFT. Perfect for hair in need of a boost….like MINE!

big shampoo

Sea salt is also the main ingredient in the very popular shampoo BIG by Lush which is $26.95 for 11.4 ounces!!!!!  We can do better than that! :-)

To make your own Sea Salt Clarifying Shampoo for PENNIES….just mix 3 parts course sea salt with 2 parts of your favorite mild shampoo. (In hindsight I would probably try adding a little coconut oil next time for some added softness. Seems like EVERYTHING’S better with Coconut Oil!)

sea salt shampoo

sea salt shampoo

Wash hair with mixture and then thoroughly rinse with water. I like to finish with a COOL WATER rinse. As cool as I can stand without starting to shiver! ;-)

This is NOT a shampoo for daily use. I would recommend using once a month for a thorough cleaning. Using too often could be drying to your hair and scalp.

sea salt shampoo

I was really pleased with this shampoo. It felt GOOD to actually use something on my scalp that had a big of an exfoliant action to it. My scalp felt tingly and clean. I DEFINITELY noticed more volume and lift to my hair after using. All that hairspray was really doing a number on my limp locks.
I was also pleasantly surprised at how SHINY my hair was!  I guess all that caked-on hair product wasn’t allowing my flaxen strands to shine through. ;-)  Now you pretty much have to wear shades to even look at my hair! lol. Not really. But it’s definitely shinier and bouncier….which is EXACTLY what I was hoping for!

Print Friendly
Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter27Pin on Pinterest50,902Google+0

Comments

Amazing tip, Jillee! I’ve never tried this before, only the ACV soak which does a pretty good job of detoxing the hair and scalp… but the smell is a turn-off.

• Megz says

Hey that sounds great!! Will try!
      But I have a question?

And hey with the hair detox first recipe the one with
      Morton’s course sea salt
      Favorite shampoo
      Ext..
      I will add coconut oil ( agree it does help w/ everything)
      So after you rinse with cold water do you use conditioner after or no?

To remove product build-ups, I add baking soda to my shampoo, rinse off and use conditioner afterwards. I do this once a month.

• Dora Arthur says

What I’ve learned is that our hair needs to detox, which can take several weeks to do. During the detox stage your hair will be very dry. Natural clays help detox hair to leave it shiny and thick without the need for chemicals. thinning hair growth

• Kelli says

I went to beauty school some… “20 Years” ago….. I was told to put enough shampoo to fill the palm of you hand (literally and YES… this is a lot). Cover the entire amount of shampoo with baking soda( Generic is fine). I do this once a month. My hair is down to my waste and is very thick, so, you may only need half this amount…. I leave it on for about five (5) minutes. It “will” smell kinda like “BLEACH” and FOAM UP…. This “IS” the working process. Your hair will also feel like “straw”…. BUT…. no worries. When you apply you conditioner, it will absorb more readily. I am “48 Years old” and my hair is very healthy and LONG…. Enjoy!

I’ve got butt-length hair that is curly/frizzy and annoying to wash more than once or twice a week, depending on summer/winter, so I like to use the baking soda about every other time. It really helps with dandruff too! You’re right about the smell, it warps the scent of any shampoo I use, pee-yew!

• Karen says

I use coconut oil in my hair all the time, it is no way drying. I use it lightly as a leave in on the dry fly away parts of my hair, it works great. Too much though and it is weighed down and greasy.

• Jane says

Drying oil? That makes absolutely no sense. Please explain what exactly that means. I’m married to a chemist & he even chuckled at this notion.

• Chanda says

I have found coconut oil to be the exact opposite, very moisturizing for both my hair and skin. It may seem drying on the skin because it absorbs so well an leaves no film. It doesn’t have the effect of lotion that leaves your skin feeling silky and creamy but its amazing for sunburns, chafing, gardening dry out…and I have replaced my conditioner w/ it and have never had such smooth shiney bouncy hair!

• Tracy says

Actually, it may be castor oil that you are thinking of. I have heard on some sites I visited years ago that washing your face with castor oil can dry the face. I do wash my makeup off with castor oil and don’t find it drying at all. I now rub coconut oil on it though for it’s healing and moisturizing properties.. mmmm, coconut oil.

3. Diana says

For those with blood pressure issues – do not do this. Salt soaks into your skin. Not with baking soda either. Since someone mentioned cider treatment – maybe this should be worked towatds.

• Denise says

This amount of salt and it being on your scalp wouldnt really effect blood pressure one way or another. It’s not like being left there to soak in.

• Megz says

I know right!! Lol death by shampoo haha everything has sodium in it almost everything including beauty products! I’m in my 3rd year med school and i guess I missed the day we discussed warning patients w/high blood pressure not use shampoo and bath salts ( real ones) haha

• Jen says

I had to laugh at this, it’s not like you are leaving the salt on your scalp or eating it. Almost every beauty product contains some kind of salt.

4. Michelle says

If you’ve had a keratin straightening treatment on your hair you don’t want to try this one. It will strip your expensive process right off!

Like I told Pat, Crystal…This will not hurt your colored curls! :) I work at a hair studio, and nothing is really gonna take it out except lemon and bleach :) lol

5. Deborah Jennings says

Did you also know that to get rid of the chemicals (from taking medicines), you can use baking soda with your shampoo and it will strip your hair of the chemicals? This is what a beautician told us when she used it on my MIL’s hair right before she was to get a perm. Still cool to know. I do this about every two months or so. No perm for me, though. My hair is really short.