Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Homemade Mint Hot Chocolate Mix {For Giving or Keeping!}

Mint Hot ChocolateSomeone emailed me recently (and for the life of me I can’t find the email!) and asked about a MINT version of Homemade Hot Cocoa Mix. They didn’t have to ask ME twice! I’ve always been a major fan of MINT and CHOCOLATE!

When I was in college the cafeteria on campus made Mint Brownies that were to DIE for! I’m sure it was responsible for the majority of my “freshman fifteen”! There is just SOMETHING about the combination that is SO appealing!

But I have never made my own Mint Hot Cocoa before! I couldn’t wait to try!

Most of the recipes I found online were for “gifts”, which is great, but I was looking for something I could keep in my pantry and scoop out if I want to make a cup!

Luckily, this recipe works for both!

Homemade Mint Hot Chocolate Mix

Adapted from Meals Matter

Ingredients

3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups nonfat dry milk powder
1 1/2 cups mint-flavored chocolate chips (I used Andes Creme De Menthe Baking Chips)
3 tablespoons crushed peppermint hard candies (my new Blendtec blender made short work of this step! Wow!)

Mint Hot Chocolate

Preparation for gift-giving:

Layer ingredients in the order listed in a 1-quart bottle. Seal with lid and attach a card with these preparation directions:

To prepare: Pour the contents of the bottle into a large saucepan. Add 4 cups milk. Stir over medium heat until all of the candy pieces are melted and the drink is creamy and hot. Pour into mugs. Add some marshmallows and a peppermint-stick stirrer, if desired.

Mint Hot Chocolate

Mint Hot Chocolate

Preparation for making individual servings:

Mix all the dry ingredients together in a bowl, then transfer to a container with a tight-fitting lid.

To make a cup of cocoa: add HOT water or milk to a mug, and then add 3 to 4 heaping tablespoons of the hot chocolate mix. Stir until creamy and smooth. Top with marshmallows if desired.

Mint Hot Chocolate

Find a cozy spot and ENJOY!

Do you have a Mint and Chocolate favorite??

Never miss a good thing!
Receive a daily dose of Jillee + bonus newsletters.

53 thoughts on “Homemade Mint Hot Chocolate Mix {For Giving or Keeping!}

1. Shannon B

Thank you Jillee for the directions for mint hot cocoa! I can’t wait to give this a try! My husband, boys and I love a good mint hot cocoa. We also serve the mint hot cocoa at our annual Christmas party. After reading your post, I may just have to gift everyone a jar of homemade mint hot cocoa or one of your many easy homemade gifts you blogged about the other day. Anyway, LOVE your blog! Thank you for all your wonderful and useful information. Oh! And happy holidays a little early. :0)

2. Patricia Schmidt

I love mint cocoa. I will definitely try this one. A quick tip – if you have to crush your peppermint by hand (I use a lot in my Christmas baking) buy candy canes instead, they are softer and easier to crush up fine. :) Thanks for the recipe!

3. Georgann G

For the recipe for a quart, the direction add milk. For making one cup, directions add hot water. Is this accurate? Sounds delish, I just want to get it right when I try it.

1. Mindy

Georgann, you could use either milk or water either way. Personally, I would use milk (or almond milk would be Fab!) as it would be richer and creamier!

1. Jillee Post author

Mindy…thank you! :-) You are absolutely right. I made mine with water and it was GOOD but if you like yours really creamy…I would use milk as well. Of course the marshmallows add creaminess too. Great idea about the almond milk! yum! :-)

4. Merry

Love your blog and all the tips! I’m starting to acquire a pantry full of gifts for friends and family. Keep them coming since there are always some surprises at the holidays

5. Stacie

My weakness in college was a chocolate chocolate chip cookie ice cream sandwhich that had mint chocolate chip ice cream in the center! They were so good that it’s probably a good thing that now I can’t seem to find them anywhere!

PS Absolutely love your site!

6. ValerieO

Oh, yummmm!!! This sounds fabulous…and it might even be something that I could make for Christmas gifts. LOL
    Thanks for your blog, it is the reason I get up in the morning…well, not really but you know. :-)
    ~V~

7. Linda

Oh, yummy, yummy. I add those little Andes mints to the tops of my brownies while warm and spread them around when they begin to melt. I will be making this recipe for the fast-approaching holidays (one for me, one to give; one for me, one to give…). I read your blog daily and always find the most wonderful things. Thank you for your wonderful tips!

8. Mary

I have great childhood memories of hammering peppermints to mix into melted chocolate. Mint chocolate moulded candy was a winter staple!

I was wondering something though. I’m lactose intolerant. I can handle things like milk chocolate and even yogurt, but actual milk is out of the question. Does anyone know if there is a dry non milk substitute?

1. Mary

Thanks! I looked around my grocery store because they have a good amount of substitutes for vegans but I couldn’t find that. Now I have an excuse to go to a health food store that opened recently!

9. Gia Walker

I can’t wait to make this for Christmas gifts! I love the mint and chocolate combo. You had asked what our favorite mint and chocolate combination are, and for me, it would have to be a chocolate/creme de menthe birthday cake that my grandma used to make. Yum!

1. Gia Walker

Ingredients:
        1 (2 layer) chocolate cake mix
        1/2 cup green creme de menthe (divided)
        1 (12 oz) jar fudge topping
        1 (8 or 9 oz) carton frozen whipped topping – thawed

Prepare cake mix as directed, but substitute 1/2 cup of water in the directions with 1/4 cup of creme de menthe. Bake in two round cake pans until cake tester comes out clean. Cool the cakes. Spread the fudge topping over the top of both cakes, and place one cake on top of the other. Refrigerate until firm. Combine whipped topping with remaining creme de menthe (I use a bit more than 1/4 cup) and spread on the cake as icing. Refrigerate until serving time.

1. Landon

Thank you so much! You are awesome. Can’t wait to try it. Someone remind me where to find the green creme de menthe. I remember seeing it somewhere years ago, but don’t remember where.

10. Clara Windmiller

This sounds DELICIOUS!!!!! I also make Mint Chocolate covered pretzels. I buy the bags of Mint Chocolate discs at Michael’s or other craft stores and a bag of small pretzels. I melt the Chocolate in the microwave and just dip the pretzels. I then lay them on wax paper on a cookie sheet and put in freezer for a few minutes. Then I put in jars or tins and give as X-mas gifts, etc. EVERYONE loves them.

11. CTY

Jillee
    This recipe sounds great. It is very similar to my recipe, I see you use sugar (assuming granulated)– I use powdered because I found it dissolves very smoothly. If I had a Blendtec I could make my own. I add about 1/2 tsp salt to my recipe–cannot explain but the salt seems to keep you coming back for more. Maybe it is because of my new salted caramel addiction.
    Can’t wait to try the Andes chips.

12. CTY

My current favorite trick can turn any recipe minty.
    I make mint sugar by pulverizing peppermints 0r candy canes in my food processor and making “peppermint sugar” I think about 20 mints makes 1/2 C peppermint sugar. I then swap out a 1/2 C of sugar in a recipe for 1/2 C “peppermint sugar” and go about business as usual. I do this swap when I make my homemade marshmallows (best marshmallow making tutorial is on Cooking For Engineers) – they come out light pink & make hot cocoa “fit for a princess”. For the men I guess it comes down to– Real Men Eat Pink Marshmallows.
    Thanks for such a great site.

13. Judy Ann

My Hot Chocolate Recipe:
    2 teaspoons of cocoa powder
    2 tablespoons of sugar
    dash of salt
    1 cup milk
    ¼ teaspoon of vanilla per cup of hot chocolate
    Mix sugar, cocoa and salt. Heat the milk 1-1 ½ minutes in microwave
    Gradually add milk to cocoa mixture, and add vanilla.
    Can also add marshmallows or marshmallow cream on top!
    Delicious!!
    ————————————————————————
    My daughter grew up on this, and now my grandsons ask for it (33 & 14) now: We always have it when it get chilly- and anytime a hot beverage is good. I made a bunch of it and store in a glass jar, and it’s ready for use quickly. I cannot wait to try the “mint” addition on the boys.

14. Brandi

This is kind of a weird question but do you know of something to substitute for the cocoa powder? My children and I are allergic to chocolate….I grew into the allergy after “overdosing” on it once Halloween. I love hot chocolate but can no longer enjoy it. We can eat white chocolate and I have tried making it with the white but haven’t found something to substitute for the cocoa powder. Thanks!

15. Landon

Some of these comments about marshmallows added to hot cocoa made me remember my grandmother putting a peppermint starlight mint in my mug when I was little. Can’t remember how it tasted now, but it had to have given it a minty taste. LOL

16. Pingback: On The Go Quilting » Fabulous Friday Finds

17. Christy

Hi,
    I just want to let you know I made this and was very happy with the flavor. My brother-in-law is sensitive to the smell of mint so I gave a little to my sister to try while he was at work. She forgot about it and this morning was out of coffee creamer when he husband suggested she add some of this to her coffee. She told me it was delicious in her coffee and the mint wasn’t very strong at all as her husband barely even smelled it :) Passed this on to her so she could make herself some more.

18. CTY

Okay- so I guess I spend a lot of time & energy on perfecting Hot Cocoa recipes. Here’s my latest experimentation. I used to drag DH into the Godiva Chocolate store in the mall. Don’t get me wrong, he loved it as much as I did. They would make him a Raspberry Hot Cocoa that left him wanting more. So I figured I needed to come up with one. Chocolate raspberry chips weren’t “fruit” enough and adding raspberry hardtack candy sticks were way to expensive. The M&M’s need to processed in food processor so they melt in the cocoa. Then I found Raspberry M&M’s. Here’s my recipe:
    2 ½ C nonfat dry milk powder
    1 C powdered sugar
    ½ C unsweetened cocoa powder
    8 oz bag raspberry M & M’s
    1 Box instant chocolate pudding (3 oz)
    ¼ tsp salt
    Mix all ingredients into processor and process until finely ground. Transfer to an airtight container. Store in the airtight container for up to 3 months.
    To make the hot cocoa drink, mix 1/3 cup of the cocoa mix with 1 cup hot water.
    Replace water with steaming milk for an extra creamy texture.
    He’s loving it– no more $6 Hot Cocoa.

19. Pingback: 14 Homemade, budget-friendly Christmas gifts | The Survival Mom™

20. Pingback: 14 Homemade, budget-friendly Christmas gifts | Survive the Aftermath

21. Pingback: Simple Handmade Gifts – Part Eight | One Good Thing by Jillee