Thursday, October 18, 2012

Make A Quick and Easy Window Valance . . .
Plus, An Exciting Announcement!

simple window valance Do you ever have an idea that you don’t really think will amount to much but then turns out to be something kind of special? Well, that’s how I feel about today’s post.

It all started when I saw a picture on Pinterest of this cute over-the-kitchen-sink valance from The Lettered Cottage. I hadn’t really considered putting a valance there before…but after seeing the picture, I could totally picture it above my sink as well.

Since I’m currently in the midst of playing “musical bedrooms” at my house and creating a home office for myself…I filed this idea away in my head for something to do “down the road”.

Then a couple of funny things happened “down the road”.

First, out of the blue, I discovered a random tension rod in my craft closet that was just the right length for above MY kitchen sink. Kinda weird.

Second, I re-discovered a small vintage tablecloth I had picked up at our local thrift store a LONG time ago. It just sorta “showed up” in my laundry room one day. Again, kinda weird!

And finally, rummaging through my craft closet looking for some jute twine to tie around a loaf of my Amish Friendship Bread, I found some leftover shower curtain clips from my Window Covering Makeover post. OK, this got my attention. I think someone was trying to tell me I needed to give this kitchen sink valance thing a try.

So I DID…and this is what I came up with! Not a stitch of sewing involved, and the most difficult thing I had to do was find a pair of scissors & cut the tablecloth in half lengthwise.

simple window valance

After cutting the tablecloth into two sections, I decided  the length I wanted the valance to be, and then folded each piece down once on the cut side and added the shower curtain clips (which were about $6 for 8 clips at Walmart).

simple window valance

Only thing left to do after that was thread the rod through the rings and put the tension rod in place over the window and between the two cupboards.

simple window valance

That is it! The easiest valance you’ll ever make! Honestly, I don’t know how it could possibly have been ANY easier.

simple window valance

As a matter of fact….this might be one of the shortest posts I’ve ever done.  What should we talk about NOW???

hmmmmmmm. :-)

simple window valance

OH WAIT!!  Before you go….I know something we can talk about!  One Good Thing By Jillee has an exciting new feature….we are officially opening the virtual doors to our One Good Thing By Jillee FORUM today! If you look up at the top of the page you will notice a new “button” on the navigation bar…yep….the one that says FORUM. :-)  Go ahead! Click on it!  You know you want to!

Jillee Forum

Over the last several months I have had many requests to create a space like this where people can go to “continue the conversation” about things on this website….or anything ELSE you want to talk about.

I hope you will take a minute and click on over to check it out. It only takes a few seconds to register and then you can introduce yourself….start a conversation….ask a question….whatever strikes your fancy!

I’ve always believed that one of the most valuable things about this blog is all the content that YOU provide through comments and emails!

It’s my hope this forum will be another way for us to SHARE what we know with each other…and ASK when we DON’T know something. Not to mention become Best Friends Forever! :-)

So let’s get started!   Meetcha over there!

Never miss a good thing!
Receive a daily dose of Jillee + bonus newsletters.

26 thoughts on “Make A Quick and Easy Window Valance . . .
Plus, An Exciting Announcement!

1. Amber

I did this about 8 years ago with dish towels that match my kitchen. I cut the towel in half, added some bias tape on the cut edge and used clips like you show. I have had so many compliments on these little curtains over the years! So cheap, fast, and easy!

2. Michelle

OMGosh your valance is so cute! I’d never be able cut once of my vintage tablecloths to make this though. Love your blog keep up the great work!

Michelle
    Huntsville, Alabama

1. Jennifer

You can also just fold it in half/thirds/quarters and pin it or tack it (i know sewing, ewe) so it stays put then hang it up. Just watch the sun fads the older fabric fast.

3. MSBradshaw

I’ve been using dishtowels, napkins, etc., for a few years–to the point that, having moved two years ago, the only window treatments I’ve done since then (other than blinds) are either dishtowels or tablecloths; it’s just too easy!

4. cindy

Sooo pretty. I love the juxtaposition of the pink next to the “yellow” in the cabinets- A softer version of the super hot magenta/yellow combination. It was certainly meant to be Jillee- it’s smashing:)

5. Denise

Great idea!! I only have a mini blind above my sink window and this would be so cute! Thanks for another great idea!! I also love that you try it out before presenting it to us. :)

6. Chris

This is really cute. Over the years I’ve made loads of curtains. Now my house consist of easy to put together window treatments. Can’t do this in my kitchen as someone who owned my home before me, put an addition on that made the window in the kitchen a part of the interior of the house. I have a large sunroom on the back of my house, which in Florida seems to be a big thing now days. It has loads of glass panels, not true windows as they don’t open and close. I am at the cross roads of trying to figure out some type of window treatment for these glass panels. The mini blinds that are there now are worn out and they are an odd size, so very expensive to replace.

I have several bolts of old fashion muslin and I’m thinking about making panels that will fit inside via a tension rod on the top and one on the bottom. Still in the thinking process though and not sure what I’m )going to do. There are five glass panels (33×72) and two larger than standard sliding glass doors that I’ve got to do some type of window treatment on and it’s got me dumb founded as to what to put up. Oh well maybe one day I’ll get it all finished.

I’m pretty crafty so if any one has a good inexpensive idea please feel free to send it back at me.

7. Jen

I love me a creative window valance. I did one once with table napkins – just clip them in the middle (or you could do it on a corner) with a clippy-ringy-thingy and hang. Use as many or as few as you like.

I also did one once with little girls’ baby dresses. You just thread the rod right through the sleeves of the dresses, and there you go, a sweet little valance.

I’m sure googling would yield even more inventive ideas. I have to say – yours looks fabulous!

8. LUCY

OH MY! I WOULD NEVER THOUGHT OF THIS TRICK. THANK YOU SOO MUCH FOR THIS INFORMATION. I,M LIVING ON A TIGHT BUDGET AND THIS IDEA HELPS ME TO BE ABLE TO DECORATE MY WINDOWS WITHIN MY BUDGET. THANK YOU AGAIN.

I JUST LOVE ALL YOUR IDEAS

9. Pingback: Simple Decorating Ideas With Big Impact + A Mohawk SmartStrand Carpet Giveaway!One Good Thing by Jillee | One Good Thing by Jillee

10. Pingback: 21 Inspiring Thrift Store Transformations - An Oregon Cottage