Super Simple Championship Chili! {church cook-offs count, right?}

championship chili 5I had such a fun afternoon yesterday! Not only did I get to meet some awesome up-and-coming bloggers (more about that later), my business partner and nephew Scott put on his chef’s hat and cooked us up a huge pot of his “Championship Chili”! I just love mixing business with pleasure.

(In the spirit of full disclosure….Scott did admit that his “prize-winning” took place at church cookoffs…but in the spirit of being a nice Aunt, I’m going to humor him on the recipe’s name. lol.)

But honestly, this chili would win a cookoff at MY house for several reasons!

It’s super SIMPLE and FAST to throw together (great meal for those crazy, busy weeknights), it’s economical, and it’s a definite crowd-pleaser!

It’s also a great basic recipe that you could tweak in a myriad of ways to suit you and your family’s own tastes. Although all you Texans who say BEANS don’t belong in chili might not agree. :-)

Scott’s Championship Chili

28 ounce can Bush’s Baked Beans
12 ounce can kidney beans (drained)
12 ounce can black beans (drained)
20 ounce can diced tomatoes
2 packages McCormick’s chili mix (1 hot, 1 mild)
1 pound ground beef
1 onion, chopped
6 to 9 ounces brown sugar (depending on how “sweet” you like it)

Brown ground beef and onion together.  Transfer beef and onion mixture into a large stock pot, and add the rest of the ingredients.  Mix together and simmer for 15 to 30 minutes.  Serve with your favorite toppings.

Scott highly recommends throwing some crushed up nacho-flavored Doritos in it.  I’m more of a cheese and a little sour cream kinda girl.

championship chili

That’s it! I told you it was super simple!

Since we were feeding a pretty big crowd…Scott doubled this recipe. Doubling it makes a nice, BIG pot of chili!

championship chili

It went GREAT with this yummy cornbread recipe I posted about earlier this year. A winning combination!

I thoroughly enjoyed this chili…and I’m not just saying that because I’m related to the cook. My new friends over at SmallFryBlog.com were in agreement as well.

me and the girls

Emily, Nicole, Jenna and I “talked shop” while sharing a bowl on the back step of Scott’s home. (Jenna even “cheated” on her Paleo regime to join us! But don’t tell her I told you that!)  By the way, if you have kidlets you’ll definitely want to check out their blog. It’s a charming mix of all things cool, cute, and clever for little ones!

Thank you Scott for introducing me to the women of SmallFryBlog.com AND for the wonderful meal. So what’s on the menu for NEXT WEEK’S meeting? :-)

championship chili

Share on Facebook88Tweet about this on Twitter13Pin on Pinterest2,467Google+0

Comments

1. kjackson says

I love reading your blog. My father in law used to make chili every time he thought about it. And it was family’s one of the favorite dish he used to create. He passed away in 2009, and since then, we haven’t have chili. (When you were spoiled by something great, you don’t want just anything… you know?) But your nephew’s chili sounds tasty like how I remember… I will try to make this recipe and hopefully I can win my family’s chili loving heart.

YUM- ours looks so similar to that. Only we don’t add the sweet stuff (brown sugar & baked beans) We do however add things like red wine, lots of garlic & a touch of habanaro. Oh I can’t wait for it to cool down a bit more so we can start making chili.

3. Landon says

That sounds tasty! I always put 2 cans each of pintos, kidney beans & dark kidney beans, diced tomatoes to a lb of ground beef in my chili. Never thought of black beans, but I love them. Beans are a great, inexpensive way to make chili spread much farther. The 4 of us can eat at least 3 meals off a crock pot of chili. And the brown sugar. I’m going to have to add that to mine & see how we like it. Thanks for the ideas for tweaking my own recipe. =)

4. KimH says

All the Texans I know (and thats a lot!) use beans in our/their Chili… we only use pintos though.. not kidneys, black beans or white beans. Thats the only difference I’ve ever noticed regarding beans. ;)
    Love your blog & always enjoy it!
    Have a great day!

• Shauna says

I made this the other night as part of a mini chili cook off at my house.. was VERY good!! Only thing I did wrong was the brown sugar.. I wasn’t sure of the 6-9 oz. was weight or measurement.. so I did it as a measurement..I thought.. 8 oz in dry measure is a cup, thought it was too much, decided to do 1/4 cup and it still looked like to much, decided to just eyeball it, and I think I still used too much! LOL! And I do like sweet chili.. so next time.. I may just do a couple tablespoons!! But… my husband LOVED this chili and we will definitely be making it again!!

I’m a bean in the chili ~ and hubby and son are not. Guess what kind I make? With beans!! lol My son just said yesterday, “Mom, it’s time for a chili cook off.” We’ve never done one in the family and I’m thinking he just may be right.

6. Cynthia says

Thanks for sharing, Jillee. And thank your nephew for sharing the recipe as well.
    This sounds delicious, and I may have to beg and plead with my mother to go outside the box and try this chili. We have made the same boring chili recipe for years, and ours is more like a thin stew (as Rachel Ray would say, a “stoup”). This looks thick and hearty and yummy as all get-out. Hope my plan to get her to make it works!

7. Myrna says

Hi Jillee! Made the chili yesterday and it was great and SO easy! Thanks for a great website! You are now my “go to” in the morning with my coffee! I also made the laundry detergent and the dishwasher detergent! So far, so good! Thanks a million!!!!!!!

8. Beth Norred says

Ahhhhh Chili… Gotta love ♥ some Chili.. Yummy Yummy l♥ve in my Tummy.. I am a happy girl when it chills down enough to cook and EAT some Chili.. i agree, his Chili Recipe looks amazing. I actually saw a recipe a couple of years ago that also used large (Limas) Butter Beans in a 5 bean Chili.. I tried it and it was delicious. Of course, I love to explore all new recipes I come across. Never know what you might find. My friend is having a Halloween party at her house in a couple weeks, she is having a Chili cook off as the Main Course. =) Cant wait to try this recipe out. thanks, We love your blog.. got my daughter n laws (both) loving it too. Such AWESOME ideas and Home made recipes for everything.. Beth♥

I made this for dinner last night. It is delicious and so quick with pantry items I generally have…a perfect weeknight meal. I didn’t have diced tomatoes so I substituted a can of crushed tomatoes. The results are thick and rich and tasty! I brought some to work with me today and I bet it will be even more delicious. Lunch time cannot get here quickly enough! Thanks!

10. Leslie says

Texan here…beans totally belong in chili!!! It’s not chili without ‘em ;). Maybe I’m just a strange Texan. This is actually pretty much how I make my chili on he fly, but if only adults are eating it has to be 4 or 5 alarm chili mix. Chili is great over tamales (better with homemade tamales or from grocery store deli). That is our Texas Christmas Eve dinner. ¡Fantastico!

11. jennifer says

Just made this for dinner tonight. Great mixture of sweet and with the hint of heat. Waiting on hubby to get home to find out his opinion. My two youngest wasn’t to fond but they don’t like Chili in the first place.(guess they r used to me making it spicy)

12. allie says

This was super easy to make and quite inexpensive. I try to watch my sodium and sugar intake so I made the following tweaks:

Picked up a pound of ground beef on mega sale
    I had a can of Rotel with green chiles already in my pantry, used instead of diced tomatoes – added a nice kick
    Low sodium kidney and black beans
    Only a package and a half (instead of 2 packages) of the chili packets
    Added a couple drops of hot sauce
    Eliminated the brown sugar – added just a small packet of Truvia instead

So good! Once a month I help a local organization and we feed up to 200 homeless people a night, and this would be an easy dish to make in large quantity, and yes, the beans do a lot for bulking up the dish without sacrificing flavor.

• allie says

Also noted that there was no mention of draining the fat after the beef is browned in the recipe above. I did scoop out all the droppings after browning the beef, but once I added in all the other ingredients, I added a scoop back in just for a bit of flavor.

13. Lisha says

I was looking for some dinner ideas and came across this recipe – looks delicious! However, I also have Celiac and McCormick’s chili seasoning has wheat flour in it. I just did a google search on it today, so maybe it has changed since this was posted.

14. Elaine says

This is the best chili I have ever had…anywhere! I used one can of dark red kidney beans and one can of light red instead of the black beans. Simmered a good hour. Easy to make and a great combination of spicy and sweet. Thanks for a permanent addition to my family recipe collection!

15. Leonora Blyler says

Kidney red beans are commonly used in chili soup chili con carne and are an integral part of the cuisine in northern regions of India. Red kidney beans are used in New Orleans and much of southern Louisiana for the classic Monday Creole dish of red beans and rice. The smaller, darker red beans are also used, particularly in Louisiana families with a recent Caribbean heritage. Small kidney beans used in La Rioja, Spain, are called caparrones.*;*’

http://healthmedicine101.comHave a nice day

16. Chris says

I put in any leftover salsa and spaghetti sauce from the frig. Great way to use those up. If I don’t have leftover spaghetti sauce I put in a whole jar of Prego sauce. Also like some white kidney bean besides the chili beans and some green pepper. I’m eager to try the McCormick chili mixes. I like tortilla chips instead of saltines to go with chili.