Grandma’s Fruit Salad – By Special Request

Wasn’t even planning on posting this….but Facebook fans were insistent! ;-)   So here it is!  My Grandma’s Fruit Salad recipe that I’ve had at every Thanksgiving that I can remember. Somehow I became the designated fruit salad-maker in the family about 10 years ago…which suits me just fine. I love it. :-) Enjoy!

Grandmas fruit salad recipe

Grandmas fruit salad

Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter5Pin on Pinterest1,092Google+0

Comments

1. Landon says

Thank you for this, Jillee. My Nanny passed away a couple of years ago & she made this every year. She called it ambrosia. I plan to make your recipe this Christmas in honor of her.

2. Alice says

What do you do with the pineapple from the can whose juice goes into the dressing? Does it go into the salad along with an additional two cans of pineapple?

3. Diana says

Jillee,
    I know this isn’t directly related to today’s post but if you keep all of your pop up ads, I can’t come to your site anymore and the thought kills me since I love your site. I get so angry when they pop up because it is so hard to close the pop up and takes forever to load so I can close it. I am all for u making money for an awesome site but it is driving me bonkers because it takes so long to finally get to your daily posts. Please fix this if you can because I love your site

• Landon says

If you use Firefox browser get an add-on called Adblock Plus. I don’t see any popup ads & can block images from sites I frequent. Being on dialup it is a huge time saver.

• Jessica says

I don’t have any problems with pop-up ads on this site.. perhaps they’re coming from somewhere else?

Diana…I feel your pain! I honestly do! It’s driving ME bonkers too! The crazy thing is we are trying to figure out just where it is coming from. (Long story.) Once we do….trust me…it will be gone!
      Just one of those nutty things that I really can’t explain. So please be patient! I’ve been working on this all day….we are bound to get to the bottom of it eventually!
      FYI…it only seems to be on mobile devices. It doesn’t come up on the desktop/laptop.

• Susan says

I have an iPhone 4S (just I case that matters lol) and I have gotten one popup in a month. Totally something I can handle. I wonder if it is the user? The more you touch the pop ups, the more they appear? I have no idea, just trying to help. :/

4. Jo Ash says

I have to second the comment by the previous person. I love, love, love your site but the pop up ads are tough to deal with. Thank you again for all your great work. Happy Thanksgiving!

5. Lora says

Just ran to the store & bought all the stuff to make this. Have it done now. I did the 20oz cans of pineapple, 4 Gala apples & 5 bananas. My fruit cocktail was the 15.25 oz cans. For me, this amount FILLED one of the large 3L GLADWARE bowls.

From looks (haven’t tried it yet), it’s a very LIGHT colored salad….think about it, peaches, pineapple, apple, banana; there aren’t very many cherries in the fruit cocktail so they don’t really add color.

I would think if you want more color you might want to go with a can of peaces & some cherries instead of the fruit cocktail (only if you’re willing to deviate from recipes). Ooh, or what about some berries, blue, black, rasp???? Limetless potential with this base.

6. Stephanie West says

Thank you so much for posting this! I was one of the many request on facebook and I am so glad you posted its going to be so good to eat at tomorrows function.

7. Deborah Jennings says

My grandmother made a fruit salad also. She used all kinds (any kind) of canned fruits (drained) or fresh. She then mix in an 8 oz carton of sour cream and some mini marshmallows. You can add nuts and/or coconut if you want. If you make this the day before, cover and refrigerate it, it is so much better than fresh made. And believe it or not, the sour cream gives it a wonderful flavor.

My grandmother was born in 1901, and lived to be almost 102. She would make this every Thanksgiving and Christmas. We all looked forward to it.

• joanne says

Deborah, this salad sounds great.. How many cans of fruit did she use – would you share her recipe?
      Would love to make it for Thanksgiving.
      joanne

8. Sheryl says

Jillee, for a quick version of this, I use a can of Peach Pie filling (2 cans if you are making a large fruit salad) I cut the peaches in the pie filling into bite size pieces, and then add any fruit you want to the peach pie filling for your fruit salad. The pie filling keeps the bananas and apples from turning brown, just be sure and drain any canned fruit you use really well, like pineapple and pears.. I tasted this the first time at a church social and loved it so much that I have been serving it at family gathering and picnics for over 25 years now. It goes very well with angel food cake and pound cake…enjoy!