Make Your Own Headache {and other aches} Pillows

homemade headache pillowLast week I posted about 19 Homemade Remedies for Headache Pain. We have been using Lavender and Peppermint essential oils for headache relief with success in our house. We usually just dab some on our temples, forehead, & the back of the neck.

Then when I posted my most recent installment of “Simple Handmade Gift Ideas“, including this Wheat Bag by A Spoonful of Sugar Designs, it got me thinking about combining the two ideas.

Essential oils for headaches and a nice, warm soothing pillow. Introducing: The Headache Pillow!

Then I got to thinking about (I am an over-thinker, it’s a proven fact) other kinds of “ills” that something like this might help…and the possibilities seemed practically ENDLESS! So I decided to make one other pillow….this one for easing menstrual cramps. I recently read on my sister Rebecca’s blog, Camp Wander, that Lavender, Clary Sage, and Marjoram are good for that monthly ache…so that’s what I used for pillow number two.

homemade headache pillow

homemade headache pillowHere is what you need to make your own

Headache (and other aches) Pillow:

• 1 cotton dish towel (or any fabric of your choice)
  • 4 – 5 cups of rice
  • 5 drops Lavender Essential Oil
  • 5 drops Peppermint Essential Oil

OR

• 1 cotton dish towel (or any fabric of your choice)
  • 4 – 5 cups of rice
  • 5 drops Lavender Essential Oil
  • 5 drops Clary Sage Essential Oil
  • 5 drops Marjoram

Pour rice into a plastic storage bag and add the essential oils. Seal the bag and roll it around several times to allow the oils to evenly coat the rice. Set aside while you make your pillow.

homemade headache pillow

To make your pillow:

homemade headache pillow

homemade headache pillow

How to use:

I decided to make the pillow large enough that if you wanted to you could lay your head on it, but small enough to rest it across your face.  Either way, try to find a dim, quiet room and with the pillow under your head or across your face, take slow deep breaths…inhaling the calming and relaxing Lavender and invigorating Peppermint.

For menstrual cramps…warm the pillow up for 15-30 seconds in the microwave and lay it across your pelvic area. Relax and inhale deeply. The Clary Sage helps ease muscle tension, the Lavender calms and supports normal hormone levels, and the Marjoram helps with fluid retention, and muscle spasms

Now I think it’s time for me to grab one of those bags and go find a dark, quiet place….ironically enough I feel a doozie of a headache coming on!

Share on Facebook487Tweet about this on Twitter22Pin on Pinterest25,878Google+2

Comments

1. Patti White says

Awesome idea! We’ve used rice socks for years for muscle aches and pains. You take a man’s white sock, fill it with rice, secure the end and heat for a minute in the microwave. A doctor told my aunt about this idea. I can see where you could use a sock with the oils too. One other idea(for those of us who don’t sew, shame on us) would be to find a soft two sided place mat, rip open one end, follow your directions, and then hand stitch the end back together, or hot glue maybe. I actually got that idea from your sister Dori about making pillows. I made several pillows from place mats last year. You girls are something else! What did we do before Pinterest?

Thank you again for a wonderful idea.

2. Patti White says

I forgot to mention that the rice socks are so nice to put around your neck for those aching shoulders, and you can just wear it while you work.

3. Sonja says

I’ve used dishtowels for this for several years but i haven’t put in the oils. i may try that the next time one wears out and needs replaced. I keep a couple in the freezer also for boo-boos as well as a couple in the cabinet above the microwave for quick heating.

4. Landon says

Great idea, Jillee! Has anyone used something like this long enough to know how long the EOs will last in the pillow? I was trying to think of an easy way to make it where it could be opened up to ‘refresh’ with more EOs over time. I’d imagine that the menstrual pillow would be more soothing than a heating pad since it would conform to whatever shape or size a person is much better than the heating pad. The little bit of weight from the pillow along with the heat & EOs might be more soothing than the heating pad as well.

I also love that rice sock for the neck idea too, Patti.

5. Sherry says

I make these but not with dishtowels…I just use muslin and sometimes make a Pillow case for them out of a pretty cotton material. One thing about the rice though…I have found that after a time it starts to develop a sour smell. I use flax seed. It heats nicely and never smells off. I have never used the essential oils, I always just use the lavender flowers and herbs….so not sure about the oils with flax. Flax is an oily seed so it mixes very well with the herbs themselves. Anyway, just my observances….they are truly wonderful for head and body aches….or just a comfort for a cold dreary evening.

6. Christine says

I was thinking of an easy opening as well…had thought of sewing in a zipper at the half way mark where she pours the rice in? I had figured that would be best for a couple of reasons, easy open as well as a more seamless look?

On a side note, I love Kevin & Amanda’s fonts. I had actually guessed that was their Ashley Rose font but I can see the difference between those two fonts. Thanks for the name of the one actually used, I like it better than the one I thought it was. They are close…but Vaguely Repulsive is a bit more smooth.

1. […] Depending on the size of your dish towel, cut in half or in fourths. I bought mine at IKEA and it was plenty large to make two pillows out of. Then with right sides together, sew two pieces together, leaving a 3 to 4 inch opening for filling. Turn the pillow right side out, fill it with the rice by snipping off the corner of the plastic bag and pouring it into the opening. Sew up the opening. See full tutorial […]