Monday, December 17, 2012

Coming Out Of The Medicine Cabinet…17 Alternative Uses for Alka-Seltzer!

uses for alka seltzer Tis the season for over-indulgence.

If you happen to indulge in a little too much food or drink this holiday season…a couple of Alka-Seltzer can be your best friend.

But did you know that these fizzy little tablets can do a lot more than ease a hangover or an upset stomach?

Alka-Seltzer is made up of aspirin, citric acid, and baking soda which make it not only useful for medicinal purposes but a great cleaning product as well!

Here are some OTHER uses for the “plop, plop, fizz, fizz” you might not know about (I sure didn’t!):

Safely Unclog A Drain
A great natural solution for unclogging the drain!  Just drop four Alka-Seltzer tablets down the drain, followed by a cup of white vinegar and allow to stand for about ten minutes. Flush with a pot of boiling water. Doing this on a regular basis can help keep that drain clear. This also works to deodorize the drain.

Clean a Toilet In A Hurry
Drop two tablets in the toilet, wait 20 minutes for the citric acid to loosen the grime, scrub and flush. The bowl will be clean, shiny, and deodorized. Handy for a quick clean in case of uninvited, unannounced, surprise guests.

An All-Purpose Cleaner
Alka Seltzer can also be a good all around cleaner.  Plop three tablets into 8 ounces of warm water. Once the fizzing stops, dip a sponge in the water (or you could fill a spray bottle) and wipe down counters, tiles and tubs. You can even place some in your sink and use as mop water. Just add five tablets to one half gallon of water.

Soothe Insect Bites
Drop two tablets in warm water, then soak a cotton ball in the solution. Place on the bite for 30 minutes for relief from the insect bites.

Catch a Fish
Fish love bubbles. Break a tablet in half and throw it out near your fishing line, or put a tablet inside your tube jig and cast off. The fish won’t be able to resist the stream of bubbles.

Remove Burnt On Food From Bakeware
Drop 5 tablets into a sink full of hot water and let your cookware soak for an hour or so. The burnt food will come off with ease.

Whiten and Brighten Your Laundry
To get rid of dingy yellow color on white cotton, soak your whites in a solution of a gallon of warm water and two Alka Seltzer tablets. Then hang your whites in the sun to dry to get rid of any lingering stains.

uses for alka seltzer 9
Deodorize the Fridge
For a clean, fresh smelling refrigerator, drop an Alka-Seltzer tablet in a cup of water and leave it in the refrigerator for a half hour. If there is still a smell in the refrigerator, then wash down the inside of the refrigerator with another Alka-Seltzer tablet in water.

Clean a Glass Jar, Flower Vase or Thermos
For those difficult to clean vessels with narrow-necks, and hard to reach places, drop two Alka-Seltzer tablets in, add hot water and swish it around until the tablets are dissolved and let it sit for an hour. Rinse, and the glass jar, vase or Thermos will be as clean as new.

Restore Stained Plastic Containers
Got spaghetti sauce stains on your plastic containers? Simply fill your container with warm to hot water and depending on the size drop 1-2 tablets into the water. Let sit for 30 minutes and the stains will disappear before your eyes.

Polish Your Jewelry
Drop two tablets in a bowl of warm water. Let your jewelry soak for about 20 minutes. It will look new again! (Note: This is not safe for pearls or opals.)

Build Rockets For Kids
Entertain little ones by heading outside with an empty film canister, filled halfway with warm water. Drop in half a tablet, snap on the lid and place the canister upside down on the sidewalk or driveway. Take a step back and watch your rocket blast off!

Clean Your Coffeemaker
Fill the water chamber of the coffeemaker and then drop in three tablets. When the Alka-Seltzer has dissolved, put the coffeemaker through a brew cycle. This will clean out all the internal components. Run through another plain water cycle before using the machine again for coffee.

Help For Nicotine Addiction
If you’re trying to quit smoking Alka-Seltzer can help. Take two tablets three times a day to relieve nicotine withdrawal symptoms and curb cravings.

Cure Urinary Tract Infections
Showing signs of a urinary infection? Take two tablets in a glass of water as soon as you notice symptoms. Results are almost immediate. Keep in mind that Aspirin is a main ingredient in Alka-Seltzer so those with Aspirin allergies shouldn’t use it.

Clean and Deodorize A Cooler

After an outing or trip, add about 1 inch of water to the bottom of your cooler, drop 4 tablets in, and let sit for an hour. After an hour, rinse and dry. All smells will be gone and it will be clean and ready for its next use.

Clean Dentures
Drop an Alka-Seltzer tablet into a glass of warm water, and then drop your dentures into the glass for about ten minutes. The citric acid and carbonation will remove the toughest stains from your dentures and other prosthetic dental work. This is an excellent substitute for more expensive denture cleanser products.

Have you tried any of these?

Be sure to check out the new

One Good Thing By Jillee FORUM!

Start a conversation…meet a new friend…discuss an idea…or just hang out!
See ya there!

Never miss a good thing!
Receive a daily dose of Jillee + bonus newsletters.

71 thoughts on “Coming Out Of The Medicine Cabinet…17 Alternative Uses for Alka-Seltzer!

1. Terri

I’ve been using denture tablets for about a year or so now to do a lot of these cleaning tasks. It’s good to know that Alka Seltzer will do the same thing, so now when I need a new box of “bubbly” I can check to see which one is the cheapest that week. You got me on the “Cure Urinary Tract Infections” one. Does it really CURE it or mask the symptoms until you can get to a Dr? How often should you take it?

Thanks to Jillee I feel like I’ve learned something new everyday!

1. Katherine

It can only mask the UTI symptoms because a UTI is caused by bacteria. Alka Seltzer doesn’t contain antibiotics. It says it contains aspirin, so it is only going to help with the pain.

1. tina

apple cidar vinegar is the very best thing for uti if you wake up w uti symtoms take abt a shot of vinegar w a glass of water as soon as you get up thn again befor you go to bed the next morning you will fill much better i usually do it for abt 2days thn whn im beter i usually at least drink vinegar and water 1ce a wk because i drink alot of DT MT DEW

2. Rachel Bennett

Also, the citric acid (vitamin C) will help increase the acidity of your urine, which helps kill the bacteria. You could take some Vitamin C by itself, as well. I am a nurse, and took care of a lady once who was VERY prone to UTI’s and her doctor had told her to take 4000 mg per day to keep them at bay. You cannot overdose on vitamin C, since it is water soluble — your body gets rid of the excess in your urine! It won’t hurt you and it might help you avoid UTI’s. If it doesn’t work, you can still go to the doctor. The vitamin C will not have hurt anything.

1. Chefmary

As a nurse, I was also taught that vit c was benign. I advocated for large doses of vit c especially in the cold season. Until…. My husband got kidney stones secondary to vit c and green tea intake. In big doses, vit c will precipitate out as stones. So… If you take large doses of vit c, don’t drink green tea.

1. Mitch

Yes same thing happened to me. I was told “you can’t take too much, you’ll just pee it out”. I was getting a lot of colds so I started taking massive amounts of Vitamin C daily. About 6 months after I started the high dose Vitamin C regimen, I had a kidney stone. After some research I realized it was probably the Vitamin C. 10 years later and no stones other stones.

2. Lily

Your reply makes it apparent you’ve never seen anyone overdosed on vitamin c. Diahrrea, vomit, dehydration, and abortion are common in vitamin c overdoses. Some nurse you are!

3. Kim

Rachel,

I found your reply interesting. However, I would strongly urge you not to give general medical advice online as it may give readers the impression that they do not need to seek medical care. This is a friendly post, from one nurse to another.

4. Ram

It has been specifically proposed that megadoses of vitamin C increase oxalate production (thereby increasing the formation of renal stones); competitively inhibit renal reabsorption of uric acid; enhance the destruction of vitamin B12 in the gut; intensify the enteric absorption of non-haem iron, thus leading to iron overload; result in mutagenic effects; and increase vitamin C catabolism that would persist after returning to lower intakes of the vitamin (Combs, 1992). These and other possible effects of high doses have been reviewed by Hornig and Moser (1981) and Rivers (1989), who conclude that ingestion of even massive amounts of vitamin C (up to 10 g/day) does not usually constitute a health risk for humans. Nevertheless, large doses are contraindicated in cases of renal insufficiency, chronic haemodialysis, unusual forms of iron overload, and in oxalate stone formers.

3. KELLY

ON THE PLUS SIDE, IT MASKS IT EXTREMELY WELL AND TAKES THE PAIN AWAY LONG ENOUGH FOR YOU TO GET IT CURED (CRANBERRY JUICE, WATER, OR MEDS) I USED TO KEEP AZO (AS A RECOVERING MT. DEW ADDICT I KEPT ONE) BUT I HATED THE STAINS IT COULD LEAVE. WHEN I FOUND OUT ABOUT ALKA SELTZER I WAS STUNNED AND HAVE BEEN USING IT EVERY SINCE AS IT WORKS JUST AS FAST AS AZO.

4. Jen McL

I haven’t tried the UTI cute, but my grandmother gets them all the time, and I will be checking this out! It makes perfect sense if you think about alkaline vs acid environments in the body. Wish I knew this sooner. Thanks!

2. Vicky T

I have done several of these using denture cleanser tabs. I have no doubt these work but I certainly would try using “store-brand” or generic brands since Alka-Seltzer is quite expensive, especially when used in large amounts. Still do love the uses though. Great!!

3. Kris

I make my own fizzy tablets when I’m making bath bombes! Just mix 2:1 Baking soda and citric acid, spritz with enough water to make it hold together, and pack into small ice cube tray / candy mold. No asprin, and cheaper if you already have the citric acid!

4. CTY

Keep out of reach of Children: Somehow once as a kid, one of us got hold of some travel size two packs. We broke them up and took turns foaming at the mouth like a rabid dog. My brother was the best (as always), he put a whole one in his mouth because he wanted to foam the most, & kept his mouth shut. Yep, you guessed it- it came through his nose.
    Since the digital age–where can I get film canisters?

1. Jillee Post author

Just look for a little button at the bottom of my posts that says “Clean Print”. If you click on that a window will pop-up that allows you to choose which parts of the post you want to print.

5. Shelley

I ABSOLUTELY WILL be buying a box of Alka-Seltzer when I go to the store next time. I have known about the jewelry cleaning and toilet bowl cleaning, but had no idea of the ability of the product to remove stains from plastic containers! I am allergic to aspirin snd do not normally keep it in the house, but I intend to from now on for its cleaning abilities! Thank you for sharing all of the tips especially considering the high cost of most cleaners!

1. KELLY

SHELLY- BAKING SODA HAS A LOT OF THE SAME CLEANING POWERS AS ALKA SELTZER (NOT SURE IF IT’S AS GOOD) BUT IF YOU’RE HIGHLY ALLERGIC TO ASPRIN YOU MAY WANT TO TRY THAT FIRST.

6. Bell

I will have to put Alka- Seltzer on my list as well. I have read about the UTI use and I will add a box to my daughter’s stocking as she has UTIs often. I never buy the stuff because for me it is just a vomit inducer.

7. North of Nowhere

I use Alka Seltzer as I have frequent UTI…it usually works for me. I use it to prevent it happening in the first place. Before date night with hubby, pre-dose with it!

8. Jo

Great ideas Jillee (as always)!
    Like Terri in the first comment I have been using denture tablets for a lot of this. Since I didn’t have any (no need for them) I bought a small box of cheap walmart brand and they work well. I used it to clean out lime scale in my kettle. Perfect!
    Also…an idea that I haven’t tried but have seen it done…cleaning large living room curtains…
    Fold the curtain. Dissolve 3-4 denture tablets in a basin with warm water. Keep the curtain folded and put in the water. Knead the curtain under the water. Place curtain, still folded, into clear warm water for rinsing. Then put the curtain, still folded, on a large dry towel and roll it up. You can push hard on the towel or even stand on it to get the extra water out.
    Then unfold and hang it up to dry. You shouldn’t have to iron it this way (i guess that depends on the fabric your curtains are made of).
    Both of these ideas came from a TV show that I used to watch called “How Clean is Your House”. The two women went to different homes and showed the home owners how to do cleaning with natural homemade products (at least the shows filmed in the UK had those types of cleaners, the shows filmed in the US used chemical cleaners, but still cool ideas). You can still watch episodes on the internet.
    I’m thinking that Alka-Seltzer would do the same thing!

9. Muriel

I have used Alka Seltzer to ward off urinary tract infections if I feel one may be coming on. I’ve been doing this for several years and I’m a believer! I think the key is to take the Alka Seltzer the VERY SECOND you suspect you may have a UTI. In my experience, the one time I ended up with a UTI and tried to heal it myself (not a good idea, by the way) the Alka Seltzer cure wasn’t strong enough for a full-blown infection. Love your site btw.

10. Christina

Just wanted to let you know that this will NOT cure UTIs!! A urinary tract infection is caused by a bacteria that you have to take antibiotics to get rid of. All the Alka-Seltzer does is eliminate the pain. This can be dangerous! It may cause you to forget about the infection or assume that it is gone. Doing this could lead to sepsis! I’ve been on the verge of that once before. It’s NOT fun! So, use it to get rid pain not to treat an infection.

1. Rita

OMG! Christina, I don’t want to argue with you, but I an am R.N. The damage antibiotics do is a great reason to use an alkalizing product like baking soda or Alka-Seltzer. It absolutely works for UTI’s. If it doesn’t, then one can go to the doctor. It doesn’t take long to find out. Natural cures are USUALLY so much safer than drugs. Many tried and true home remedies that our grandparents used work just fine. Cheaper and without side effects. Just my take.

1. Sarah

Alka-Seltzer *is* a drug. It contains aspirin. If you seriously think most natural products are without side effects I don’t even know what to say. That’s blatantly false.

2. Ann

Have to disagree with you Christine. I am a renal patient under the care of a renal physician and he insists I take baking soda daily to prevent acidemia. As he pointed out, one of the pleasant side effects is no UTI’s…I have had blood in my urine which did not turn to a kidney infection or sepsis , and this was all tested for and proven. Take the alka seltzer ladies, or just use 1/2 tsp baking soda in water daily…

11. Robyn

It does work for UTI’s. I have used it at the onset of symptoms and by day two it was completely gone. Also since we are all talking about UTI’s, If you take the cranberry pills regularly it causes the lining of your blatter and urinary tract to repel the bacteria that causes the infections. The bacteria can’t attach and therefore can’t cause problems.

12. Nicci

Here’s one not mentioned above. My son gets cold sores on his lip. He says it tingles before it erupts. I gave him 2 store brand Original Alka-Seltzer tablets in 4 ounces of water every morning and night for three to four days. The cold sores never developed. Now, every time he feels one coming on, he grabs the Alka-Seltzer. He hasn’t had a cold sore since. P.S. You must do it when you first feel the tell tale tingle. If it is already appearing, it won’t work. It’s too late.

1. KELLY

OH WOW NICCI! THANKS FOR THIS HINT! I HAVE SUFFERED FROM COLD SORES ALL MY LIFE AND THEY ARE MISERABLE! I’LL BE SURE TO TRY THIS THE NEXT TIME I FEEL THE TINGLE!! THANKS AGAIN!!!

2. Vivian

I use tuna fish for cold sores, even if it has erupted it is gone in a very short time. If I eat the tuna when I feel a tingle it usually does not erupt. There was only one time I had to eat more than one can of tuna and the cold sore was a really virulent one, but it did go away.

3. Renie

Alka Seltzer works for cold sores to prevent eruption because it’s fairly alkaline (hence alka) if you keep your body less acidic they have a hard time erupting. Also, balancing out your lysine intake to counter arginine intake helps as well. Lots of details as to why, but it works.

Here is a link to a site with ratios for us cold sore sufferers. Hardest part was breaking my pistachio habit. ;)

13. Robin

I was looking for a home made, non-toxic toilet bowl cleaner on the web and stumbled across this site and think it’s so great! When I found the Alka-Seltzer idea for toilet bowls, I went right out and got some. It works beautifully and if you add a few drops of essential peppermint oil to the toilet water as the tablets are fizzing, then swish it around with a brush before flushing, it gives the bathroom a clean, peppermint scent too!

14. Brynn

I noticed someone making a comment that they make their own fizzy tablets. Is there any way you could figure in the aspirin yourself and crush/slapchop/etc the old uncoated literal “aspirin” and make “real” alkaseltzer tabs?

15. Tee

In regard to cleaning jewelry, besides opals, do not, repeat, do not clean pears, they are extremely sensitive and ruin easily.

I am sending this in case the previous submission didn’t go through, my laptop shutdown, so excuse me if it’s a duplicate.

16. Martha Neeley

Instead of printing the wonderful posts that I want to keep. I copy them into a Word document….making my own book of helpful hints for using all things natural. So far, I have 288 pages of goodies. What a joy this site is. I have shared with many of my friends and we all agree that this site is VERY addictive.

17. picasso80

Doctors could free up valuable time for truly sick patients who should be seen first, by telling their patients with food allergies or people who think they have food allergies,to try Alka-Seltzer first before going to the Dr.s office. You will know within 30 seconds to 1 min. if it’s a food allergy, if your symptoms stop in their tracks. My Aunt tried this, she had gone to a BBQ where they served fish. Even though she did not put it on her plate (allergies), it somehow came into contact with her chicken. She felt the tell tale tingle that comes before the bumps, she put two Alka-Seltzers in her glass and drank….. Symptoms Gone!!! She was able to stay until the end.

18. paul

Its amassing how RNs seem to think they are doctors go back to school for a few years then finish your internship and take the Hippocratic Oath .Think carefully about the line referring to dong no harm.
    If you dare work in the Truman unit the ER will make you humble

19. Pingback: Unclog Your Drain With Tablets Of Alka-Seltzer | Carpet Cleaning & Cleaners Johannesburg

20. Pingback: Unclog Your Drain With Tablets Of Alka-Seltzer | toppedapps

21. Brent Falkowski

Severe deficiency of niacin in the diet causes the disease pellagra, which is characterized by diarrhea, dermatitis, and dementia, as well as “Casal’s necklace” lesions on the lower neck, hyperpigmentation, thickening of the skin, inflammation of the mouth and tongue, digestive disturbances, amnesia, delirium, and eventually death, if left untreated.:’,;

Our very own web site
    <http://www.healthdigest101.com

22. Octavio Pensa

According to the American Heart Association, nicotine addiction has historically been one of the hardest addictions to break, while the pharmacological and behavioral characteristics that determine tobacco addiction are similar to those determining addiction to heroin and cocaine. The nicotine content of popular American-brand cigarettes has slowly increased over the years, and one study found that there was an average increase of 1.78% per year between the years of 1998 and 2005. …,,

Talk to you later
    <http://www.healthdigest101.com/

23. Pingback: 17 Alternative Uses for Alka-Seltzer - Survival Strings

24. Pingback: 17 Uses For Alka Seltzer | Guide For Prepping and Surviving

25. Miss Mealie

Alka seltzer also stops stiffness after unaccustomed exercise. Two tablets taken before bed stops the lactic acid build-up in the muscles which causes stiffness

26. Pingback: Clean and Deodorize A Cooler After an outing or trip, add about 1 inch of water to the bottom of your cooler, drop 4 Alka Seltzer tablets in, and let sit for an hour. After an hour, rinse and dry. All smells will be gone and it will be clean and ready for