Ideas for “Giving Back” This Christmas!

me and GloriaYesterday I had the distinct pleasure and honor of delivering a very special present to a place near and dear to my heart. “The Ark”, a substance abuse rehabilitation facility, was the place I called “home” for 72 days four years ago, and it is thanks to the program and staff there that I am sitting at this keyboard typing this message to you today. It’s a long story, one I won’t go into detail about in this post, but you can read about it on my “About Me” page if you feel so inclined. :-)

The reason for my visit to The Ark and the reason for this post today was “giving back”. I was recently given this beautiful framed print of an original painting by Liz Lemon Swindle entitled “The Prodigal Son”. It depicts the bible story of a happy reunion between a father and son who have been estranged. When I received the artwork as a gift, I immediately knew where it should go….to the place that welcomed me like the prodigal son, and the place that helped this prodigal daughter find her way back to her family.

Being able to “give back” to the people who had basically saved my life was one of the best Christmas presents I could ever ask for and is what inspired me to write this post today. I know that many at Christmastime want to do something charitable but don’t always know where to start. I wanted to provide a few ideas and then start a conversation about ways we can all “give back” this Christmas and make our communities, our world, better places for everyone.

Here’s a list of ideas to get us started:

• I wanted to start with an idea from one of the readers of this blog who shared her story with me on Facebook. After Deborah Knoll read my post about my Mom’s Wonderful English Muffin Bread, she not only made some for her and her family but she also decided to make some to sell. She then used the money to buy gift cards for gasoline to give to cancer patients to offset their costs having to travel back and forth to receive their chemo treatments. Her great idea and generous spirit has been contagious because now her family and friends are asking for the recipe so they can do the same thing. Such a simple, creative idea!  Thanks for sharing Deborah! Keep up the great work!
gas gift card
  • Another variation on the above idea…..organize a gift, phone or gas card drive. These can be distributed to charity organizations to give to needy individuals and families. These are practical gifts that can help make or break a needy family during the holidays and its as simple as picking one up during your usual shopping. Let others know you are collecting them and drop them off at any local food bank where people go to ask for assistance with utilities and rent.
angel tree
  • Grab a name off an “Angel Tree” at your local Walmart (or other retailer.)
pet food
  • Buy cat litter, cat food, and dog food for your local SPCA, volunteer at your local animal shelter, or donate money to a shelter to cover the adoption fees of a family that comes in to get a dog for Christmas.
fleece blankets
  • Make baby blankets for your local hospital. Fleece fabric blankets are easy to make and don’t even require any sewing!
care package
  • Put together a box for soldiers oversees. They need/want things that we take for granted. Shampoo, baby wipes, hand sanitizer, sunscreen, magazines, towels, Christmas decorations, candy, bottled water, tylenol, books, tampons/pads, lotion, chap stick, deodorant, phone cards, baked goods, beanie babies to give to children, the list goes on!
gift wrapping
  • Organize a wrapping paper drive. Organizations that give out gifts during the holiday season are in desperate need of wrapping paper, gift labels, ribbons and bows to decorate their gifts to the needy. Get your friends and family together and ask for donations of these items, collect them and drop them off.

Children love to receive gifts but we forget that they also like to give gifts. Here are some ideas to involve the kidlets and help them realize they can make a difference:

christmas cookies

• Bake and take Christmas cakes and cookies to nursing and retirement homes. While you’re there…sing a few Christmas carols.
food bank
  • Take your kids with you to the store with a list for the food bank, let them pick out the items so it becomes more meaningful for them.
kids and grandparents
  • Make time for your kids to see their grandparents — or at least talk on the phone — and learn more about their history. Recording or writing down stories of the past are gifts you and your family will treasure in the years to come.
snow shoveling
  • Whether it’s the elderly couple whose driveway needs shoveling or the single mom who could use a mother’s helper, you probably have someone on your own block who could use a hand. Your family may be able to offer the lifeline they need during the holiday season.
gift certificate
  • Start a holiday tradition of allocating a certain amount of money for each child to give to a charity of their choice. Make the money one of the kids’ gifts under the tree or in their stocking on Christmas morning in the form of a homemade gift certificate.
charity box
  • Make your extended family Christmas party a “Sub For Santa party”. Assign each family things to buy for a family in need and then at the party wrap and deliver the items. Much more fun than having to come up with a white elephant or gift exchange gift!
personal hygiene kits
  • Make personal hygiene stockings for a local homeless shelter. Personal hygiene items can be bought in bulk fairly cheaply. Throw in some candy and hats, scarves or mittens with a hand-written note. A good project for the entire family!
volunteering

And last, but certainly not least, the most precious gift you can offer the needy this time of year is your time. Volunteers are always needed and appreciated during the holiday season. Take a few hours out of your week and donate your time to local shelter programs, soup kitchens or other organizations that are overwhelmed with requests for assistance this time of year.

Now it’s YOUR TURN! Share your experiences and ideas for “giving back” so we can all benefit!  I have no doubt there are some GREAT ones out there!

Facebook21Twitter7Pinterest999Google+0

Comments

1. Vanessa says

I travel a lot and always take the guest toiletries with me when I leave the hotel (unused of course). They usually include things like shoe-shine wipe, slippers, toothbrush and mini toothpaste, comb etc. as well as the usual shower gel and moisturizer. Pop these in a hand-made toiletries bag – you can make an easy drawstring bag or be a bit fancier with a zip if you have the skills- and donate them to a local shelter where young people and families who are trying to get back on their feet are homed. They are always much appreciated.

2. Steviej Callender says

Hiya Jillee
    I read about your story and i must say it is truly inspiring. Its strange because addictions such as that can happen to anyone of us. You really are not alone.
    Thank you for posting this today im sure it will inspire people as it has me to be grateful for the things they have in this Christmas period and that they should do what they can to help those less fortunate and in need for some TLC. Thank you
    Take care

Stevie

3. Kristi Myers says

Really enjoyed your post today! It truely is more blessed to give than to recieve. We bring joy to ourselves by giving to others in need, whether it be a need for love, attention, a compliment or things like you have suggested. Just want you to know I think you are an Awesome Lady! Soooo glad I found your blog. Love your recipes, DIY ideas, crafts, it’s ALL good. I am – one of your biggest fans! God Bless You & Your Family! >

Such wonderful ideas. My office collects money all year long by allowing us to wear jeans on Mondays if we pay a dollar. Of course we all do it and it really adds up to a big pot of money by December. This year we are buying for 2 families for Christmas and also giving some of the money to a local women’s shelter. Food bank items are also collected and we are looking at the fact that summer times are often very lean times for the food banks.

5. Jamie says

I try and find 1 different thing each year to do. This year there is a 9-year-old boy in KY who is battling cystic fibrosis and not expected to live much longer. He wants to break the world record for getting the most Christmas cards before he dies so I am sending one to him and also spreading the word. I have cystic fibrosis myself and that is how I heard about him.

Thank you for sharing your story. Where is your husband from? I am a born-and-raised North Dakotan!

If any of you are looking for a good charity to donate to, here is a new one that is just getting started. It is out here in Utah. If you have ever had a loved one suffer from dementia-related illness you know how traumatic it can be for the rest of the family and caretakers. Logan, UT used to have a day center where the caretakers could take their loved ones to drop them off for a few hours or the whole day, so they can get much needed respite. But that program stopped in 2008. A new one hopes to start shortly, the Cache Valley Adult Day Center. They have almost everything ready and are awaiting some funding. This is the charity my family donated to this year (Instead of giving gifts, we each donate $ and every year a different adult child and their family get to choose what to do with the money). There are 9 of us kids, and some years it may just be sent anonymously to a needy family in the community, or to a specific charity like this. Anyway, I have met the committee members and am impressed by their unconditional love for those suffering, and their understanding of what caretakers of dementia and Alzheimer’s patients are going through. Their website is http://www.cvadc.org.

Other charities are your local animal rescue, like Jillee mentioned in her post. My heart breaks for so many animals without homes. I wish I could do more.

Another thing that touches my heart is when I see young kids go out of their way to do something kind. When my dog had seizures and was sick, a local 6 year old boy made “get well cards” for my dog and came over and sat with him and petted him. Other times, the neighborhood kids came over just to play with my dogs (I am super busy and don’t have much time to play, unfortunately, so usually they just get a quick run with me riding my bicycle, only a mile or so). Granted, I think I am the coolest house on the block, haha, so the kids seem to swarm to my house and I don’t even have any kids!! (Ok, I admit, I have a HUGE collection of foreign money that is worthless really, and so I usually let them pick a few coins out of it for themselves, and now 5 kids in my neighborhood have started their own collections, hehe).

Anyway, I love giving, WAY more than receiving. Recently my husband fixed a lady’s laptop computer, she was really counting on it and was stressed about the thought of it not working anymore. It was a simple, $33 part, that was it. She was so happy she brought a roast over to our house. We didn’t want to help her out to get anything in exchange, but it was so thoughtful. I just wish she kept the money it took to buy the roast, for herself. But the feeling of joy knowing that her laptop was up and running again less than 24 hours after it died on her, and how happy she was, made ME happy :)

Ok, enough, I know I have gone on and on… sorry!! Merry Christmas!

7. Hazel says

Thanks Jillee for spreading the Christmas joy, don’t forget your local homeless shelters, the most difficult and heart warming thing there was when I took over the giving tree (Christmas tree decorated with small toys and candy instead of ornaments) a little girl, probably about 4 had never had a toy before, she picked out a doll but didn’t know what to do with it, after a few minutes of pretend play she was all smiles turned out her mom had resently escaped an abussive relationship in wich they were for the most part kept locked up, please remember you don’t have to have money to give, donating things you don’t need around the house are always necessities to others and like Jillee said, your time is the greatest gift of all like playing with that little girl I’m sure it gave her mom hope for the future

8. Deborah Jennings says

This year I have a dear friend that is in need and that is where my “giving back” will be this year. I have known my friend for years, although we have never met face to face. We have been through a lot together through the internet. This is one of the most caring ladies I have ever met! Right now she is in such bad shape that she can only afford to eat one meal a day to be able to pay her bills. I am praying for her and others like her and worse. God has and is so good to me that I want to give back for His sake.

9. Karen423 says

I love your ideas, one that probably isn’t thought of often. When us kids were older and after we left, my parents ran a ‘elf’ service for the parents at their church and in the neighborhood with little kids. They stored bikes or other large items and then ‘Santa’ came to pick them up on Christmas Eve, after the kids went to bed. Mom and Dad were home on Christmas Eve (we always celebrated Christmas Day) they would have eggnog, coffee or cookies for the parents. Sometimes Dad would assemble the items out of the box for them if they weren’t already assembled. Mom would tie huge red bows.

At work the executives purchase and donate the items for large baskets (some might be electronics, a kitchen aid mixer, movies, and things that go along with them), there were about 20 baskets this year. Then employees can buy raffle tickets for the baskets over a month. Raffle ticket proceeds go to two charities Angels Among Us (helps the families of kids with cancer), and Child Saving Institute. This year I think we raised over $5000

I volunteer all year long with National Wild Turkey Federation, specifically with the Women in the Outdoors group. We just had a committee potluck and gift exchange, and considering next year having something like that for all the ladies that came to an event that year. Your post has me thinking that instead of a gift exchange we should collect gifts for a local organization instead.

10. Kathleen says

Jillee,
    I don’t write often but read your blog and get your emails everyday, I found you on pinterest. Thank you for all of your posts, especially today’s. It is truly inspiring just as you are. Thank you for sharing your story, YOU are an inspiration!

11. sally says

Jillee,

Thank you for sharing your story. I have a 19 year old daughter who will be 1 year clean in about a week. We are so proud of her! Never thought our family would be going through this journey…..we have learned a lot.
    Thank you for all your wisdom.

12. Melissa says

We live in a smaller community and dont see the homeless shelters and so on that seem to be so common in larger areas. What we stumbled on this year was an organization called heart to heart…and our department at work “adopted” a family in need (anonymously-meaning we received first names and ages/sizes of the kids and everything we collected was taken back to heart to heart who then wraps it and delivers it to the family in time for Christmas). We have worked with this organization for several years but this year was different because the mom of the family we adopted was in hospice care. Because there are a lot of people in our organization who have been affected by cancer it struck a chord with all of us. We collected a lot of stuff for the family and even had some people donate cash. When all of the gifts on their list had been purchased along with wrapping paper, stocking stuffers and so on, we still had a pretty healthy sum of money left over…we checked with the coordinator of the heart to heart program and decided to purchase a holiday meal through the local grocery store so that they would still have a meal…Sadly, the mom passed away before the gifts could be delivered, and we ended up using some of the cash donations to purchase a gift card to the grocery store instead of a meal…but it was really meaningful to all of us to know that the kids would still have a Christmas in the middle of their sorrow. Also, in conversations with the heart to heart coordinator, she put us in contact with the local hospice office and what we found is that they always need volunteers to do little things for their clients…whether its small repairs, gardening and yard work, cleaning, errands. That’s not an organization that I would have thought of before!!!

13. CTY says

Love the post! There are just so many things we can do. Something we can do throughout the year is to support a local group of Girl/Boy Scouts. Naturally the can always use money– but they also take donations of all kinds. These are a few of the items the collected over the years by our scouts: newspapers, old towels/sheets for animal shelters, non perishable foods, gently used sporting equipment sent to Latin America, books, dishes, tools for Habitat for Humanity projects, scrap lumber to build bat houses, school supplies, winter clothing, gently used formal dresses & suits for proms, rubber gloves & trash bags for community cleanups– I could go on but I think you get the idea. When you are aware of the needs, you’d be surprised how much of this stuff you have hanging around. And they most always pick the stuff up at your house.

14. Bouqui says

What a great post Jillee. Thanks for reminding us all to give back. My suggestion at Christmas: Donate blood. It costs you nothing and can save a life. What better gift is there than that!?

I have been involved in my church group that makes lap quilts for the elderly in rest homes and for single moms with new babies. With my daughter-in-law I’m beginning to crochet preemie caps for newborns. They will go to the hospital that was so helpful to my son and dsughter-in-law that lost our grandson, Ethan, at full-term almost 7 years ago. I also, like others that have written here, save un-opened shampoo bottles, etc. from my hotel stays to give to an organization that puts care packages together for the homeless. I find, as many others, it is much more fun to give than receive but I’m also learning to be a gracious receiver if gifts, because I want others to have the joy too! : ) God’s blessings to all you that give in so many wonderful ways!

16. Ali Hodson says

My in-laws adopt a family every year–this year they ‘adopted’ an elderly couple. My mother-in-law loves buying toys for children (and bugging me about grandbabies…) but she said there are also so many needy families without children that often get overlooked.