My Miracle Cleaner Saves The Day….AGAIN!

miracle cleanerFriday night I had my entire extended family over for our Annual Prime Rib Dinner & Christmas Party. There were roughly 30 adults and about a dozen kidlets in attendance. On the menu was my Foolproof Prime Rib and a whole host of other yummy dishes! (See this post for the entire menu.)

One small dilemma I had while planning this dinner party was what to EAT IT WITH…as in, knives and forks. I don’t own enough actual silverware for that many people…but I was having such a hard time with the thought of serving prime rib and having everyone use PLASTIC cutlery. The answer came when I was at Walmart last week and found these knives and forks (not shown) sold in bundles of 4 for just 94 cents! They weren’t the FINEST eating utensils ever…but they were a far sight better than plastic!

When I got them home and took the plastic wrapper off each set I was somewhat dismayed by their condition. There was paper and glue stuck to many of them from the wrapping that I couldn’t get off, even after soaking overnight. They also had mystery dark spots all over them.

miracle cleaner

Keeping in mind I only paid 23.5 cents for each utensil…I didn’t feel too bad about having to give them a little extra love and attention. Besides, I had JUST the thing to bring them up to snuff! My Miracle Kitchen/Bathroom/Everything Cleaner! I originally posted about this concoction way back in August of 2011 and have done a few updates since…but not for a very long time. So I’m excited to revisit this miracle combination with all of you who have joined me here since then.

miracle cleaner

What is this MIRACLE you ask? It is quite simply…baking soda and hydrogen peroxide made into a paste.

This is how I make it:

I don’t store this mixture…I simply mix it up as needed. I start with a small bowl, add as much baking soda as I think I’ll need for the job, and then slowing pour in the hydrogen peroxide until I have made a thick paste. If you happen to get a little over zealous with the hydrogen peroxide and it becomes runny….simply add more baking soda. It’s downright simple.

miracle cleaner

This how I use it:

Then I take a glob (yes, that’s the technical term for it) of the mixture and rub it on the offending stain/mess. If you have sensitive skin I would suggest wearing gloves but I don’t. I find rubbing with my fingers the most effective at getting the gunk off whatever I’m working on, but you could certainly use a sponge or something similar too.

miracle cleaner

This what the utensils looked like BEFORE the Miracle Cleaner treatment:

miracle cleaner 2 copy

And this is AFTER the Miracle Cleaner treatment:

miracle cleaner

Thanks to the MC, I was able to proudly provide my dinner guests with shiny discount cutlery that cut through my Foolproof Prime Rib like butter!  ;-)

While I was too busy playing hostess to take any pictures…here are some pictures my niece Ashley took of photo props fun after dinner!  :-)

photo props fun

(download for photo props found on Pinterest)

Have you tried the Miracle Cleaner?

Share on Facebook7Tweet about this on Twitter6Pin on Pinterest1,663Google+3

Comments

I was sent to your blog by my daughter, and have enjoyed reading it from time to time. Today I read the miracle cleaner blog, and loved it. I will definitely be using this! Keep up this good work.

2. Frances says

I want the photo props. Where did you get them or how can I make them? Did I miss a post? I read you every day.

3. Cynthia says

I have used the Miracle Cleaner once and I need to use it again!
    I had a white t-shirt that had been stained yellow by sunscreen. My attempts at removing the stains involved first, plain old SoftSoap that we use to wash our hands in both the bathroom and kitchen. This is usually our go-to stain remover, for stains that are not set or not very dark. It helped a little, but not much.
    Then, I tried a mixture of SoftSoap and color-safe bleach. (this was a Life Is Good shirt with flowers and words about 3 inches below the stain. I was taking no chances with the bleaching). Again, to no avail.
    Finally, I decided to try the Baking Soda and Peroxide. I mixed it up, slathered it on, left it to sit for 30-ish minutes, rinsed, and washed the shirt as normal. Most of the stains came out, though I need to apply the mixture again to some of the places I missed, or didn’t cover as thoroughly as the rest. So the cleaner passed the test, and now, my lazy butt needs to work on cleaning up some more stuff.

4. SD Mom says

I love your miracle cleaner. I’ve used it after my marathon canning sessions and the stove becomes a disaster! After a good scrubbing with your MC, it’s shiny like new!
    The abrasive baking soda really cuts through baked-on greasy spots.
    Keep up the good work and Merry Christmas Jillee!

5. Denise says

You’re the best. ALWAYS such great ideas
    Thanks for all the great information you give us!

Have a very MERRY CHRISTMAS!

I used the miracle cleaner at a cabin rental we stayed at a few months ago. There were HORRIFIC rust stains in the kitchen and bathroom sinks that made me want to turn tail and run because it just didn’t look clean. I got the ingredients and let the mixture soak for about 20 minutes on each sink. The bathroom sink was completely better and after 2 more soaks, 90% on the white kitchen sink. I left the ingredients along with instructions for the cabin owners.

7. Dawn Dolbow Hurtado says

Jillee, just wanted to wish you a Merry Christmas! You are an amazing woman. Multi-talented and generous> Thank you for your blog and sharing your many helpful hints. I read each and every post.

8. Donna Hart says

It saved the day for me last night. I had preheated the oven, to 500*. I went to put my dish into the oven, Yikes. I had left a frying pan with a plastic spatula in there. When I took it out it dripped all over my stove top and then all over my cast iron sink. Not to mention my hands. It took a lot of gobs, but good old “miracle cleaner” saved the day. I haven’t tried it on stains on clothes, yet. But, Thanks Cynthia, I will be doing so. Love it so much
    Jill, thanks for all your hard work. Think most of us would be a lot poorer without you. I also want to take a minute to wish everyone a wonderful Merry Christmas.

9. Alex says

Hooray for miracle cleaner! Maybe one of your up-coming posts could be a list of all the ingredients that go into your various cleaners. I’m trying to transition from using fewer pre-mixed cleaning products to my own and it would be very helpful to have a shopping list of sorts. At the moment, I have: white vinegar, baking soda, hydrogen peroxide, and lemons.