Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Simple, All-Natural Cold and Flu Soothers

cold and flu soothers We have been very fortunate so far this year in the illness department. *knock on wood*

We haven’t had any colds or flu to speak of, but when I was in the E.R. yesterday morning with a kidney stone attack, I asked the nurse treating me what kinds of things they had been seeing lately in the E.R.

While the number one thing they have been seeing recently is snowmobile accidents (we live in an area surrounded by recreational activities)…the second most common ailment was upper respiratory infections.

This year Americans will spend more than $3.6 billion on over-the-counter cold, cough and throat remedies, even though there’s growing evidence that many are ineffective and even risky for children.

But did you know that some of the BEST treatments hardly cost anything at all?

I thought today I would share with you a few of my favorite simple, inexpensive and all-natural cold and flu soothers:

lemon honey tea

Honey Lemon Cough Syrup

Lemon juice has citric acid and bioflavonoids that boost immunity and fight infection and is an excellent source of Vitamin C. Honey is a natural immune system booster, loaded with anti-oxidant and anti-bacterial properties, and has been proven to reduce nighttime coughing and improve sleep. (Due to the risk of infant botulism, a rare but serious form of food poisoning, never give honey to a child younger than age 1.)

Ingredients

1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
1 Tablespoon Honey (use a locally produced raw honey, if possible.)
2 Tablespoon Hot Water

Mix together and drink.

The hot water soothes and reduces swelling, while breaking up congestion in your throat. The lemons’ acidity will cut through mucus, kill bacteria, and provides an extra shot of Vitamin C. The honey coats your throat and sweetens up all that acid that’s working in the lemon.

coconut oil

Simple Homemade Chest Rub

Ingredients

1/4 cup Coconut Oil
10-15 drops Peppermint essential oil
10-15 drops Eucalyptus essential oil
5-10 drops Lemon essential oil

To melt the coconut oil: put in a glass bowl or jar and then into the microwave for 5 to 10 seconds. Add the peppermint, eucalyptus, and lemon oils (add more if you want) and shake well. Allow it re-solidify (at room temp or faster in the fridge) for easier use.

Rub on chest just like you would Vicks Vapor rub. The peppermint provides a cool, tingling, sensation, while the eucalyptus and lemon help open up airways and loosen coughs.

homemade shower discs

Homemade Shower Discs

Place a disc on your shower floor and as the water slowly dissolves it, the essential oil vapors combine with the steam to relieve cold symptoms.

Ingredients

1 cup baking soda
1/3 cup water (enough to make paste)
Essential oils (eucalyptus, lavender, peppermint)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line a mini-muffin tin with foil liners. Mix the baking soda and water together to form a thick paste. Pour into cupcake tin. Bake at 325 degrees for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool. Top with one drop each of Eucalyptus, Lavender, and Peppermint essential oils.

Garlic ointment

Garlic Oil Ointment Treatment (GOOT)

GOOT is a natural antibiotic, antifungal and antimicrobial ointment safe for children and even infants. Apply every couple of hours on the feet of children, infants and adults to fight infections. Rub on chest for chest colds, or rub into nostrils for sinus infections. Dab on a cotton swab and place in the ear for infections.

Ingredients

3 cloves of finely chopped garlic
3 Tablespoons coconut oil
3 Tablespoons olive oil

Combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender until smooth. Apply this salve to the soles of your feet when you start to feel a cold coming on. Put thick socks on your feet and go to sleep. By the morning you’ll be feeling better! Be sure to keep a special pair of socks dedicated to this treatment or else you’ll risk everything smelling of garlic. Store in air-tight container and use as needed for up to two weeks.

face steaming

Thyme Facial Steam Bath

Thyme has long been known as an expectorant, which makes coughs more productive (that is, it helps clear out your lungs faster so you feel better sooner).

• Toss either a handful of dried thyme or a few drops of thyme essential oil into a bowl of hot water and lean over the bowl.
  • Cover both your head and the bowl with a towel.
  • Inhale the steam to help loosen mucus in your chest.

cayenne tea

Cayenne “Tea” Sore Throat Remedy

Technically not a tea, but it is made with warm water and it’s an effective sore throat remedy. Cayenne pepper aids in breaking up and moving congested mucus. Once mucus begins to leave the body, generally relief from cold and flu symptoms follows.

Ingredients:

¼ cup warm Water (warm enough to dissolve the honey)
¼ teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
1 Tablespoon Honey
1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice

Stir together until dissolved. Drink it quickly or gargle with it if you are brave. You may decrease the amount of cayenne for younger children.

neti pot

Neti Pot

A neti pot looks like a genie’s lamp that can perform some sinus-clearing magic. Fill it with warm saltwater (use noniodized salt). Then stand over a sink, tilt your head to one side, and slowly pour the liquid through one nostril and allow it to stream out the other — along with a lot of gunk that’s causing congestion.

honey and cinnamon

Honey and Cinnamon Cold Remedy

Both honey & cinnamon have antibacterial, antiviral, and anti-fungal properties.

Mix:

1 teaspoon honey (organic raw honey)
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

Take this amount every few hours as soon as you feel a cold or other illness coming on. Spoon it into hot drinks, mix it into your oatmeal, or dip fruit into it. Treat the whole family with this simple yummy remedy at the first sign of a sniffle.

drink fluids

Other Natural Treatments

• Don’t forget to get enough sleep and drink your fluids when you’re feeling ill. Good lifestyle habits are proven to reduce your risk of getting sick.
  • Eat healthy foods. Get regular exercise. Learn to manage stress. Those are among the best natural ways to prevent colds and flu.
  • Cover your mouth when you cough. Make sure to cough into your sleeve instead of your hand. You’ll reduce the odds of passing your germs on to someone else.
  • Washing your hands remains one of the best ways of protecting yourself from cold and flu germs.
  • And last but not least……don’t forget to get a FLU SHOT! An annual flu vaccine is recommended for most children and adults. It’s highly effective and contrary to what you may have heard, the flu vaccine cannot give you the flu. It CAN, however, save you and your family a lot of misery.

What’s your go-to defense when you or someone in your family is getting sick?

Never miss a good thing!
Receive a daily dose of Jillee + bonus newsletters.

119 thoughts on “Simple, All-Natural Cold and Flu Soothers

1. Annette McKinney

We have learned of Bragg’s Apple Cider Vinegar. Wonderful recipe on bottle for gargling or drinking for sore throats, tummy troubles, aches & pains.etc The drink is very palletable honey, vinegar & water. The honey is a healing gift from above both externally & internally. The apple cider vinegar is a natural antibiotic, anitceptic and the most concentrated source of potassium. Literally hundreds of uses are blessing of this natural product.

1. Pam

Would you mind sharing your recipe? Are the honey, vinegar & water all equal amounts? I sure would appreciate your response. I really do need several ideas for treating symptoms of a cold. This was a great post for me today. Thanks!

1. Deborah

We have been using this for years, my dad learned of it when I was a child 56 years ago. I definitely recommend using Bragg’s Apple Cider Vinegar, very benenfical with the “mother” still active in the bottle.
        Can be made up and stored in fridge too be used daily. We drink apx. 4 ouces daily chilled, but would be fine if gently heated. Also make sure you use RAW-unprocessed honey, as all store bought has been heated which destroys the bacterial benefits contained in raw honey. Ask around, you may be able to buy directly from a local source or check out local health food stores or “farmer markets” of local growers.

For a Gallon- combine 1/2 Gallon- combine Quart Pint
        1 gallon water 1/2 gallon water 32 oz. of water 16 oz. water
        1 cup ACV 4 oz. ACV 2oz. ACV 1 oz. ACV
        2 cups raw honey 1 cup raw honey 40z. raw honey 2 oz. raw honey

Or if you prefer to mix as needed, you can blend a cup at a time~

8oz. water *ACV = Apple Cider Vinegar
        1/2 oz. ACV
        1 oz. raw honey

1. Deborah

okay format didn’t work, here it is again ~ sorry

Gallon – blend

4 oz. raw honey

Pint – blend
          16 oz. water
          1 oz. ACV
          2 oz. raw honey

2. SD Mom

I make an elderberry syrup with honey, ginger and cinnamon that really boosts the immune system. We each drink a spoonful everyday during a cold or flu outbreak. If any of us feel a cold or flu coming on, we increase the dosage to 2 spoonfuls everyday. It really cuts down the length of the illness.

1. Alisha

Yeah not a fan of putting dead viruses, or chemicals into my body if I don’t have to.

Every year everyone I know that gets the flu shot, gets the flu. I’ve not had a flu in years. I plan to keep it that way.

Other advice is AWESOME!

1. CTY

Reactions to the flu shot can also be caused by both active & inert ingredients. If you have specific known allergies research some before making your decision. Bottom line, know your body so assess your risk factors. By risk factors I mean risk of getting the flu shot vs risks of not getting the shot. Also do you have a secondary medical condition that can be dangerous with/without the shot.

2. Shylla

If you have problems with the flu shot, like getting horribly sick. Then you may be allergic to it, you also may be allergic to other vaccines. I am allergic to something in the flu shot & was very ill (should have been in the hospital sick) until the medicine made its way out of my body. I am also allergic to the medicine that they give you for the flu (TAMAFLU). So I have to be extra careful during flu season, kinda hard since I’m a teache in a public school. But I manage. So I look forward to using the tips to help me make it through another flu season!!

3. Amy

Thank you for the tips. My family has been ill from one thing or another since the week before thanksgiving. I will be trying all of the recipes on all 6 of us ASAP. Thank you so so much.

4. April

I will definitely keep these remedies bookmarked for future use . You’re right on the flu shot tip . This is the first year that I haven’t had one and I’ve been sick twice already . I usually never get sick . Thanks again!

1. Rebecca

The flu shot doesn’t help with any other viruses, and if you had the actual flu, you would know. It will not help decrease the number of viruses/colds etc that you get. So having reasonable expectations would be commendable.

Also, it sounds like you probably need to 1) stop eating sugar; 2) stop eating processed foods; 3) put good nutrition into your body. Then, you wouldn’t get sick. It is a simple solution without putting even more toxins into your body via means of flu shots.

1. ButteryMuffyn

Rebecca, I’m sorry to say, you sound very pompous. I am a (usually) very healthy vegetarian, I eat no processed foods and minimal sugar and as I type am suffering the worst cold I have ever had and getting my ass kicked by my asthma too. It’s individual choice to get a flu shot (I haven’t) so for you to say I shouldn’t be sick is total rubbish.

2. Cynthia

Where do you get off telling people that they need to eat better to stay healthy? You know NOTHING about April and her eating habits. You know nothing about any of us and our eating habits versus how often we’re sick. You have no right and no place to be giving someone advice based on such a vague comment.
        And just so you know…most cold viruses are spread through HUMAN CONTACT…having virtually nothing to do with how or what you eat. Yes, there are some natural immune boosters out there that I’m sure we could all incorporate into our diets to TRY and keep the cold bug away…but sometimes it just wins. That is why there is no CURE for the common cold. All you can do is soothe your symptoms and try to feel better as you ride it out.
        And, also, maybe you should research how viruses mutate, constantly, to avoid being killed off. Read The Great Influenza, about how perfectly healthy people in the prime of their lives, dropped dead before ever showing any sign of the flu, because the virus mutated so rapidly.
        Maybe, before you give anyone else any advice, you need to a) know a little more about what you’re saying, and b) know a little more about the person you’re giving advice to.

5. Stacy

My mom a few years ago found out about the Neti pot and got her one and it had made such a huge difference with sickness and allergies that she suggested I get one too. I have had one ever since. I am convinced it is the best thing for sickness and allergies and you get better quicker because you’re getting rid of the stuff that will make it more difficult for your body to heal itself. My mom and I suffer from asthma and it is the greatest thing when we are sick.

1. Wretha

That is right, I was about to post that very thing, and be sure to use enough salt, if you don’t have enough it will burn, I know that sounds counter-intuitive, but believe me, I’m speaking from experience.

You can also add other things to the water, xylitol is a great one, it does not support bacterial growth.

Wretha

6. Trudy

The neti pot is my go-to trick. A spoonful of honey is next on my list. Recently read that a spoonful of honey is a great way to soothe that horrible tickle-cough and amazingly it works. I’m definitely going to keep this list close at hand, though. We’ve been pretty lucky so far (knocking on wood) but these remedies sound like just what my doctor would order.

7. Shaina

I mean no offense Jillee, but please do some research on the flu shot. And I mean not through a corporation that benefits through the flu vaccine sales. I love your site. But I hate how you could so highly recommend the flu shot. Not only is it ineffective, it is also dangerous. Especially for those with compromised immune systems, such as young babies, pregnant women, and the elderly. The very same people the flu shot is pushed on the most.

1. Jillee Post author

Shaina, I respectfully disagree. I could write an essay on this….but a doctor whom I respect has already done so. Someone with a lot more credibility on the issue than me. So I will defer to Dr. Mehmet Oz (and the Center For Disease Control) and leave it at that.

Modern Miracles: The Flu Shot
      By Mehmet Oz, MD

One miracle I want to expand on is a controversial one: Vaccines. Like antibiotics, I believe that vaccines have also saved millions of lives by protecting us and our children from once-deadly afflictions that blighted both our life expectancy and our children’s survival expectancy. Because of vaccines, once-deadly diseases like smallpox, polio, measles and rubella have become a thing of the past.

One miracle vaccine in particular is the flu vaccine. We are reminded by our doctors and drug stores to get this vaccine every autumn. Some are pleased by it, some are annoyed, and some are suspicious. Why take a vaccine for a virus that can give me a few sniffles and a cough?

Before the vaccine was first developed in the 1930s and widely used in the 1950s, influenza was a global killer. Doctors have been struggling with treating this disease since its first recorded outbreak in the 1500s. Many of us who currently get the flu experience its typical symptoms: Cough, fever, sore throat, fatigue, soreness, and chills. However, it can quickly escalate, leading to bronchitis, pneumonia, heart failure, and death – especially in infants and the elderly.

One notable influenza epidemic unfolded late in 1918 and through much of 1919. Across the globe, the influenza virus killed 20-40 million people and affected up to 500 million people. It has been often cited as the “worst epidemic in recorded history.”

Doctors knew something innovative had to be done. Some discovered that transfusing blood from someone who had survived influenza into a sick person improved survival, which gave doctors an idea to develop a preliminary version of a vaccine. If we taught our bodies to fight influenza before it actually contracts influenza, survival would skyrocket.

The vaccine further developed with the advent of vaccine technology. It contains a dead, inactive version of the culprit virus, which compels your body to make antibodies against the real virus. Now, thanks to the vaccine, deaths from influenza have dramatically decreased. It’s amazing that a relatively inexpensive shot can save so many lives by preventing illness.

However, the improved numbers don’t mean that you don’t have to worry about the flu anymore. It’s still something to be afraid of. Between 1976 and 2007, there have been on-average 6,309 influenza-associated deaths per year – the highest being the 2003-04 season with 14,715 deaths. Most of those deaths occur in young children, the elderly and those with low immune function (those on chemotherapy and those with HIV/AIDS). This is why you should still consider getting your flu shot if you haven’t gotten one already. If not for yourself, for the health of your children and the elderly around you.

I already got my flu shot because, as a physician, I’m responsible for the health of my patients, many of whom are elderly. With the shot, I’m less likely to spread a deadly virus to my patients.

The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) provides many facts about the vaccine, including data on its safely and side effects, which include soreness, and redness or swelling at the injection site. Some people also report low fevers, aches and some nausea. However, because the vaccine contains a dead, killed version of the influenza-causing virus, you are not at risk of getting the flu from the vaccine itself.

However, if you have had a severe allergic reaction to the vaccine in the past or have an allergy to eggs (the vaccine is an egg product), you may want to reconsider getting the vaccine. Talk with your doctor about which options are right for you.

And above all, remember to protect yourself with proper hygiene and hand-washing.

Added to Illness Prevention on Mon 10/29/2012

1. Sherri McNeeley

Thanks for that, Jillee. I’ve been an RN in Emergency for 25 years, and I never miss a yearly flu vaccine. If nothing else, I owe it to my patients and the community I serve. For me, it would be unconscionable to pass on an illness to people already health-compromised.

2. Susan

Really? Dr. Oz? The same man who has changed his mind on organic foods in the last few weeks, as well as flipflopping on a number of issues. No thanks.

As for the CDC? Sorry, not impressed with them either.

1. Vienna

Dr. Oz did not vaccinate his kids, so may we infer that he knows the real danger of pharma shots? And now he’s speaking out against organic food? He has lost credibility to me.
          Please consider what is IN the flu shots. Read or watch the video of Dr. Sherry Tenpenny’s research on the contents of a flu shot, and see if it’s something you would voluntarily shoot into your arm as a way of ‘doing your body good.’

3. Disagree

Jillee,

I came across your blog about a month ago, and I loved it from the start. One of the very things that sold me on it, was the fact that everything that you recommended was healthy, and I don’t just mean main stream “healthy”. I have been following it since then, and each and every one of your posts is special and I love reading them. However, I also, have to tell you that for the first time, I was sadly dissapointed in you, when I saw you mention the flu shot.
        Regarding your references: fist of all, Dr. OZ is great, but he is very much in the public eye, and has to watch what he says on his sight, and his kids do not get any vaccines, or flu shots. He hides behind his wife, for that decision, but considering that he is the doctor, if this was not what was SAFE for his kids, I am sure he would not allow it. Second of all, a good example of his practices, is the recent GMO segment. during the show, he clearly shows that GMO are very dangerous, but in the write up, he actually says that they are safe. Those words are just there to protect him, from the big Corps.
        RE: tThe CDC – I have Morgellons, and the CDC has been asked by the Gov. to research this nightmarish illness over a decade ago… to this day, sufferers are given the Dellusional Parasitosis diagnosis and find no help from any doctor, while the CDC continues to lie about this wide spread illness. They have no credibility any longer. They are a joke. Also, if you google flu shots online, you will find a myriad of controvercial information. They are dangerous, and should be avoided like the plague.
        I think this may be a subject that you need to research a little deeper.
        I’m sorry Jillee, but I am crushed.

1. Deborah

Agree – NO flu shots, they have been shown to damage your natural immunity, by reliable independent research. Been in medical field for years and have seen first hand how the drug companies influence medical doctors across the board. Once out of med school, a large percentage stop studying for themselves and relied/believe what others tell them ( those looking to make a profit from what they are selling.) The best way not to get the virus/flu/infections is to feed your body healthy whole foods to nourish it (devoid of junk that is added to processed), practice sanitation habits in the home and when out in public, support your immunity with no-side effect herbs and naturally occuring items like honey, be kind to your body with rest and restorative sleep. Too many options to help to list, but easily adopted for ultimate health, so outside interference (flu shots, etc.) isn’t needed.

1. Deana

I have to agree here. Wow. To recommend vaccines and then add in great respect for “Dr”. Oz. Quadruple OUCH. I am not one to ever post nor to bash another at any time but suffice it to say, respect is earned not automatic. Those on the ‘take’ that give advice should never be trusted. Simple as that.Oz also recommended gardasil of all things for girls as young as 10. I always enjoyed your blog but from this day forward I shall no longer recommend it and I will be more careful as to scrutinizing what is posted. At the same time, thank you for much of what you share.
          Just an FYI

What’s in the regular flu shot?

Egg proteins: including avian contaminant viruses
          Gelatin: can cause allergic reactions and anaphylaxis are usually associated with sensitivity to egg or gelatin
          Polysorbate 80 (Tween80™): can cause severe allergic reactions, including
          anaphylaxis. Also associated with inferility in female mice.
          Formaldehyde: known carcinogen
          Triton X100: a strong detergent
          Sucrose: table sugar
          Resin: known to cause allergic reactions
          Gentamycin: an antibiotic
          Thimerosal: mercury is still in multidose flu shot vials

Do flu shots work?

Not in babies: In a review of more than 51 studies involving more than 294,000 children it was found there was “no evidence that injecting children 6-24 months of age with a flu shotwas any more effective than placebo. In children over 2 yrs, it was only effective 33% of the time in preventing the flu.
          Reference: “Vaccines for preventing influenza in healthy children.” The Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. 2 (2008).

Not in children with asthma: A study 800 children with asthma, where one half were vaccinated and the other half did not receive the influenza vaccine. The two groups were compared with respect to clinic visits, emergency department (ED) visits, and hospitalizations for asthma. CONCLUSION: This study failed to provide evidence that the influenza vaccine prevents pediatric asthma exacerbations.
          Reference: “Effectiveness of influenza vaccine for the prevention of asthma exacerbations.” Christly, C. et al. Arch Dis Child. 2004 Aug;89(8):734-5.

Not in children with asthma (2): “The inactivated flu vaccine, Flumist, does not prevent influenza-related hospitalizations in children, especially the ones with asthma…In fact, children who get the flu vaccine are more at risk for hospitalization than children who do not get the vaccine.”
          Reference: The American Thoracic Society’s 105th International Conference, May 15-20, 2009, San Diego.

Not in adults: In a review of 48 reports including more than 66,000 adults, “Vaccination of healthy adults only reduced risk of influenza by 6% and reduced the number of missed work days by less than one day (0.16) days. It did not change the number of people needing to go to hospital or take time off work.”
          Reference: “Vaccines for preventing influenza in healthy adults.” The Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. 1 (2006).

Not in the Elderly: In a review of 64 studies in 98 flu seasons, For elderly living in nursing homes, flu shots were non-significant for preventing the flu. For elderly living in the community, vaccines were not (significantly) effective against influenza, ILI or pneumonia.
          Reference: “Vaccines for preventing influenza in the elderly.” The Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews.3 (2006).

What about the new Swine Flu shot?
          Some of the new H1N1 (swine flu) vaccines are going to be made by Novartis. These shots will probably be made in PER.C6 cells (human retina cells) and contain MF59, a potentially debilitating adjuvant. MF-59 is an oil-based adjuvant primarily composed of squalene.
          All rats injected with squalene (oil) adjuvants developed a disease that left them crippled, dragging their paralyzed hindquarters across their cages. Injected squalene can cause severe arthritis (3 on scale of 4) and severe immune responses, such as autoimmune arthritis and lupus.
          Ref: (1): Kenney, RT. Edleman, R. “Survey of human-use adjuvants.” Expert Review of Vaccines. 2 (2003) p171.
          Ref: (2): Matsumoto, Gary. Vaccine A: The Covert Government Experiment That’s Killing Our Soldiers and Why GI’s Are Only the First Victims of this Vaccine. New York: Basic Books. p54.
          Federal health officials are starting to recommend that most Americans get three flu shots this fall: one regular flu shot and two doses of the vaccine made against the new swine flu strain. School children who have never had a flu shot are targeted for four shots in the fall – twice for seasonal flu, twice for pandemic swine flu. (July 15, 2009 news)
          HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius has been talking to school superintendents around the country, urging them to make plans to use buildings for mass vaccinations and for vaccinating kids first. (CBS News, June 12, 2009.)
          Is Mandatory Vaccination Possible?

1946: US Public Health Service was established and Executive Order (EO) 9708 was signed, listing the communicable diseases where quarantines could be used. 1946 and 2003, cholera, diphtheria, TB, typhoid, smallpox, yellow fever, & viral hemorrhagic fevers were added.

April 4, 2003: EO 13295 added SARS to the list.

April 1, 2005: EO 13295 added “Influenza caused by novel or re-emergent influenza viruses that are causing, or have the potential to cause, a pandemic.” EO 13295 also: The president gave the Sec. of HHS the power to quarantine, his or her discretion. Sec of HHS has the power to arrange for the “apprehension and examination of persons reasonably thought to be infected.” A cough or a fever could put a person at risk for being quarantined for an extended period of time without recourse.

January 28, 2003: Project BioShield was introduced during Bush’s State of the Union Address. This created permanent and indefinite funding authority to develop “medical countermeasures.”
          The NIH was given authority to speed approval of drugs and vaccines. Emergency approval of a “fast tracked” drug and vaccine can be given without the regular course of safety testing.

December 17, 2006: Division E: The Public Readiness and Emergency Preparedness Act (PREPA) was added as an addendum to Defense Appropriations Bill HR 2863 at 11:20p on Saturday night, long after House Committee members
          had signed off on the bill and gone home for the holidays.
          Section (b)(1) states: The Sec of HHS can make a determination that a “disease, health condition or threat” constitutes a public health emergency. He or she may then recommend “the manufacture, testing, development, administration, or use of one or more covered counter measures…” A covered countermeasure defined as a “pandemic product, vaccine or drug.”
          Division E also provides complete liability protection for all drugs, vaccines or biological products deemed a “covered countermeasure” and used for an outbreak of any kind. In July, 2009, complete liability protection was extened to drug companies that included any product used for any public health emergency declared by Sec of HHS.

Pharma is now protected from all accountability, unless “criminal intent to do harm” can be proven by the injured party. They are protected from liability even if they know the drug will be harmful.
          “By 1853, Parliament began passing laws to make the untested vaccine compulsory throughout the British Empire. Other countries of Europe followed suit. Once the economic implications of compulsory vaccinations were realized, few dared to disagree. Then, as now, the media were controlled by the vaccine manufacturers and the government, who stood to make huge money from the sale of these spurious vaccines.”… Tim O’Shea, D.C.

8. Sandy

I don’t get flu shots any more. Every time I got one I would be deathly sick usually within 15 minutes. I would be sick until spring came. So I don’t care what any doctor says, including Dr. Oz, I am never getting one. I haven’t been sick like that since I stopped getting the vaccine by the way.

Love the rest of your ideas. If I get sick I’ll give some of them a try.

1. CTY

I would think you are among the percent of people that have adverse reaction to the shot. Unfortunately there is no way to know until it is too late.
      For me the shot that is adverse/ineffective is Rubella (German Measles) vaccine. Try going to school without this shot. School boards tried to bar me from school. When I got to college they tried to bar me from attending. Finally, my Dr (her husband a lawyer) had a document drawn up saying that I would get the shot if the college would take all responsibility for any and all long/short term effects of the shot. That ended that. Through my pregnancies I had to be very careful. Between pregnancies my OB tried to give me that shot again; I had to have my primary DR have a chat with her. So you see, even DRs don’t understand it sometimes.

1. Karen423

I have an allergy to the TB tine test, and have to have an xray whenever a TB test is required. Never had a bad reaction to the flu shot, but like someone else mentioned, I’m requesting the latex free one.

2. Patti White

Sandy, I always got sick when I took a flu shot. I was told over and over that it couldn’t give me the flu, yet I felt like it did. Turns out, I’m allergic to egg whites and most likely, that’s what made me sick. It’s not a severe allergy that will kill me, but I do have to be careful and try to stay away from egg whites or I will get that yucky feeling. Your problem could be similar.

9. Susan

Vaccines are a personal decision. If you want to get one, get it. If not, don’t lecture others or tell Jillee how dangerous it is that she recommend it. That was all it was, a recommendation. Take it or leave it. I happen to work in health care and see an extreme benefit to vaccines. Do all of my kids get the flu shots? No because of allergies one of them can not. But the rest did. One of them, has asthma so bad during the winter that the year I didn’t give him the flu shot he ended up in the hospital. I personally have to have the latex free flu shot or I would get sick, but I still get it. Even though I think it saves thousands of lives every year (mostly the elderly) I would never tell you that it was dangerous if you did or didn’t get one. It’s a personal opinion.

1. Crystin

Except for it becomes not so personal when the flu shot is pushed down the throats of everyone silly enough to believe in it’s “goodness” blindly without research of facts. Everywhere you go, you see proponents of the flu shot arguing it’s merits, but when people choose to argue for it’s many, many faults and dangers, suddenly it’s just a matter of “personal opinion” and we should all just shut our mouths. I’m all for that….and for taking down every billboard, ad, commercial, and article recommending flu shots.

2. Holly

Except Crystin, and I’m not saying you did this, but for some reason people on the anti side start saying how disappointing someone like Jillee is for recommending it…. and they attack people on a personal level. The pro vaccine ad’s don’t go personal, that I’ve ever seen. Jillee is giving her PERSONAL opinion on a blog and people are judging her on a PERSONAL level. She didn’t say you were stupid or bad for the human race if you didn’t get one or anything personal aside from her personal recommendation. She didn’t even say you were disappointing if you didn’t get one and people did the reverse of to her! It was her personal opinion. That is where the anti vac people get me. They make it personal and go on the attack to people who recommend them. I always want to say you can get more flies with honey than vinegar but I doubt they’d understand. You can give your personal recommendation and even back it up with proof and I’ll listen… when you start getting personal though I tune out. I’m not the only one either.

I personally can’t get the flu shot because of health issues and it scares the dickens out of me when my children should get them, especially my son with heart problems. So I understand both sides but I certainly never push my opinion down anyone’s throat either direction. It always always turns me off when anyone does that from either side.

1. Crystin

Good points, Holly. And I don’t think attacking her was necessary or effective. It’s just frustrating to me when the government gets behind something and spends so much money to force it down the throats of everyone, and thinks that no one is going to decide to research it on their own, and come to their own opinion. Anyone naaive enough to think that because a government agency recommends something, it’s a positive thing is….well…pretty naaive. I too understand both sides, and I do agree that vaccines in general have eliminated several horrible diseases…such as polio. I can just relate to the passion behind someone’s opinion when they are frustrated because they believe the government is hurting people and getting away with it because no one is smart or strong enough to stand up against it. I think the passion is communicated in an incorrect way, sometimes, but I understand it.

10. Karen423

I recently saw something on Pinterest about a winter tea. It was sliced lemon and ginger in a canning jar with honey poured over top to fill. I didn’t have any ginger, but tried this with the lemon. Haven’t used it in my tea yet, but have had it in the fridge for a couple of weeks now. Tried a little taste of it last week and the honey has taken on a nice lemony flavor. Might stir some into a cup of chamomile tea tonight.

11. CTY

Please forgive the added entry. To be shot or not to be shot–that, is the question. Really gets people thinking.
    But Jillee– WHERE’S THE CHICKEN SOUP or any soup or broth for that matter. Helps get fluids into the body, the steam clears passages, benefits from vegetables, herbs, spices, & salt, the warmth soothes the throat, helps with chills. The simmering pot alone adds benefits. Not to mention the TLC you feel when someone makes it and you eat it. I always keep a couple of quarts in the freezer in case I am the one sick and cannot make it. So many items from your list can go into a pot. SO PLEASE don’t forget the humble soup.

1. CTY

Basic really & easy to be vegan– start with chicken stock (or vegetable stock) homemade or bought. Onion, garlic, carrot, celery, skinless chicken thigh or 2 (with bones b/c the bone marrow helps), a little grated sweet potato if I have it, rice (or noodles last 8 min of cooking), thyme, bay leaf, salt, pepper (Jillee’s idea of cayenne would work). Simmer until meat falls off the bone. Simmer more until the bones get soft. Remove the bones, skim visible fat. Strain for those who are not keeping food down; serve with crackers for everyone else.

12. Monique

I want to add another idea: If you suffer from a stuffed up nose, cut an onion and place it near your head while you sleep. The smell of the onion will open up your nasal passages and you will be able to sleep normally. My mom gave us this whenever we had a cold when my sister and I were young and now I use it with my own family. Really works!

13. Cynthia

Thanks, Jillee, for all your wonderful home remedies. Some of these sound like they would be great just for every day use, just to boost your immune system (like the simple lemon and honey) and others sound like they would be just plain yummy (the honey and cinnamon).
    Let’s not leave out the Chicken Noodle Soup, though! It always makes me feel better, no matter what. And, I always add a few dashes of hot sauce to mine. It’s yummy, and when I’m feeling icky, it helps clear out my sinuses and soothes a sore throat.

14. Karen K

Hi Jillee–I just have one question that has been bugging me for awhile…Where do you get your Essential Oils from?…I am waiting for a delivery for an Orange Essential that I purchased from Amazon, but in a hurry, could you suggest where to get them?
    Thanks,
    Karen from Buffalo

1. Susan

She gets them from DoTerra….essential oils biz her sister distributes for (Camp Wander). Okay,I know way too much about ya’ll. Karen, Aura Cacia is a pretty good natural foods store brand.

1. Patti White

Cynthia, my recommendation for buying Essential Oils is to go with the best, doTerra, so you know you’re safe to take them internally. Rebecca(Camp Wander), as Susan states, is the best for advice and help getting started in the doTerra oils. You should check out her blog, Camp Wander. Aura Cacia is a good brand to diffuse, but they’re not as pure. I bought that brand before I discovered doTerra, you can tell the difference in the smell.

15. Shaina

Well that is your opinion. I do not think that either of those sources are credible. I do have to state that I feel Dr. Oz is a sellout, and that the CDC, FDA, USDA and so on, are all very good at not telling us the whole truth. They are also really good at inflating numbers when it is in their favor. I personally feel the flu decline is not due to the vaccines, but to improved hygiene, living standards and nutrition.

16. Laura

My family has always used this tonic: add one tablespoon of honey and one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to a mug of hot water. It works. I happen to really like it, but some people (husband) get better or stop complaining, if you threaten to make them some :)

17. Comet

If you–like me–walk thru older grave yards in search of genealogy subjects you will soon see a horrifying pattern in the deaths from 1918-1919.

These were inexplicably to this DAY the YOUNG people –the teens and early 20′s. Those who in other ‘flu seasons had the LOWEST death and illness rate. These strong and formerly healthy people were dead often in as little as 24 hours–drowned in their own lungs fluids. Epidemiologists and disease specialists are STILL studying this ‘flu to find out WHY it was SO deadly SO fast and to SO many. And–the odd part? The very young and the very old and the weak–remember TB and many other now almost forgotten diseases were still very much a problem—SURVIVED. No one KNOWS why. There are theories–but no one really knows yet why.

When you walk thru and see a few HUNDRED dead people between the ages of 13 and 25 in ONE cemetery—you have to take a moment to process this. The only OTHER pattern I have seen in these older grave yards are in even older areas and these are infant and maternal burials—often you will see three or even four wives and a dozen childrens graves side by side while the husband to ALL lived to a ripe old age. How would YOU like it if your daughters could expect this as the accepted facts of their lives?

The REASONS we no longer see these sorts of patterns are improvements in health care such as: cleanliness; RhoGam shots; C-Sections; ultrasound imaging; better nutrition; and yes—vaccines.

The EARLIEST vaccines were actually made from COW POX SCABS after it was noticed that the milk maids that got and recovered from the mild cow pox did NOT get SMALLPOX. A horribly devastating disease which if it did not kill you disfigured you for life. These scabs were picked off the body and saved and then introduced into a small scar made on the non-afflicted persons body. The immunity was given by the human bodies acquiring the mild cow pox and then that persons immune system had the ammunition to fight off the deadly small pox.

If you think this is a NEW argument look up Benjamin Franklins lament about his young son who was NOT vaccinated–and his horrible small pox death.

Vaccinate or not–if you choose to NOT vaccinate please STAY AT HOME and don’t allow your kids to come near any one ELSES kids in hopes that the “umbrella affect” will protect them.

And don’t preach.

1. Crystin

If vaccines truly worked then there would be no issues with allowing an unvaccinated child around vaccinated children….I mean, really, think about it….If your vaccine truly covers you from getting the flu, then what is the danger of being around a child who is unprotected from the flu? Isn’t that the point of getting vaccines in the first place, supposedly. This is perhaps the silliest pro-vaccine argument that I’ve heard.

1. CTY

YEP– I agree. Most people give themselves sickness like viruses, colds & flu. Touching face with hands, putting things in their mouths like pens/pencils, door knobs, elevator buttons, hand rails, shopping carts. Solutions wash hands often, keep hands away from face where gloves when out and about & disinfect home surfaces like knobs, light switches, cell phones & rails daily. We already do our counters so how much harder is it to continue around the house–takes me about 5 minutes.

18. ginger

I really enjoyed this site until you said get a flu shot. They are very dangerous and do not prevent the flu. You will end up a lot sicker if you do get the flu after getting the shot. I know this from personal sickness after the shot.

1. Sherri McNeeley

You are sadly misinformed. Please read the above piece by Dr. Oz. I am a healthcare professional; I can attest that lives of elderly, severely immune-compromised, and chronically ill persons are saved annually by vaccines. Statistically, the risks are low and few.

19. Shaina

I am having a hard time letting this go. Sorry, I’m usually not so pushy with my beliefs but I truly believe that all vaccines are truly dangerous, especially any flu vaccines. I have done thousands of hours of research on the topic. I am not trying to fight, but to try to open some peoples eyes and help keep more people from dying because they got a flu shot – that was supposed to keep them from getting gravely ill and dying. So, here’s an interesting article found here: http://www.activistpost.com/2012/09/study-confirms-flu-shot-makes-you-sicker.html

Tuesday, September 25, 2012
    Study Confirms Flu Shot Makes You Sicker
    Dees Illustration
    Catherine J. Frompovich, Contributor
    Activist Post

An interesting article appeared in a Canadian newspaper, The Vancouver Sun, about research that found the flu vaccine actually was linked to H1N1 illnesses, the pandemic flu that never materialized in 2008-09, if you remember.

Vancouver researcher Dr. Danuta Skowronski led a team of researchers questioning certain flu virus events that seemed to impact people who received the 2008-09 flu vaccine. Dr. Skowronski, incidentally, is an influenza expert with the B.C. Center for Disease Control.

What captivated Dr. Skowronski’s interest was the fact that those who were vaccinated with the H1N1 pandemic flu virus were the ones who were infected with it rather than people who did not receive the H1N1 flu vaccine. Initially that phenomenon was called the “Canadian problem” since research outside of Canada did not come up with similar findings. The real ‘kicker’ was that five studies performed in several Canadian provinces found the same results: H1N1 vaccination correlated with pandemic flu virus infection.

Apparently there were some doubts about ‘anecdotal’ findings, so Skowronski’s research team did a study with ferrets. That study’s results were presented at the Interscience Conference on Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy. What researchers found after working with 32 ferrets was the vaccinated group became significantly sicker than the controls. Eventually, all ferrets recovered.

The study was blinded, i.e., researchers didn’t know which ferrets received the 2008 flu shot. Half the ferrets received the flu shot and the balance were given a placebo injection. Then all ferrets were infected with the H1N1 virus. Those ferrets that were vaccinated became sicker than the non-vaccinated ferrets. Dr. Skowronski said, “The findings are consistent with the increased risk that we saw in the human studies.”

Apparently more research as to why the flu vaccine seems to predispose those vaccinated to the flu virus is being advised along with the admonition to receive an annual flu shot even though ferrets and people get sicker from those flu shots. That is something everyone needs to know more about and, in particular, the ingredients used to make flu vaccines.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has the website Vaccines, Blood and Biologics that lists four influenza vaccines: Influenza A (H1N1) 2009 Monovalent; Influenza Virus Vaccine, H5N1 (for National stockpile); Influenza Virus Vaccine, Quadrivalent, Types A and B; and Influenza Virus Vaccine, Trivalent, Types A and B made by numerous pharmaceutical companies.

Before rolling up your children’s and your sleeves, maybe it would be wise to do some homework and become an informed healthcare consumer about vaccines, and the flu shot in particular.

The article “Swine flu vaccine linked to increased risk of rare nerve disorder” by Sharon Kirkey also was published at The Vancouver Sun. Ms. Kirkey reports that numerous Canadian citizens contracted Guillain-Barre Syndrome (GBS) after receiving the 2009 flu vaccine. That’s an important fact healthcare consumers worldwide ought to know and consider as the Northern Hemisphere flu season draws near.

Reference:
    Vancouver researcher finds flu shot is linked to H1N1 illness

20. Shaina

And to Comet: My family practices frequent hand washing, we do our best to remember not to touch our faces when we are in public, and we sneeze into our sleeves to avoid catching or spreading the flu/other sicknesses. These, mind you, are recommendations of your precious CDC that I actually believe to be effective. We also maintain as large of a personal bubble when we are out, as well. And we eat a very nutrient dense, balanced, real food diet and take our vitamins-real ones, not the synthetic make-believe vitamins they sell next to the flu shots at Walgreens and Walmart.

Umbrella Affect? yeah freakin right. I am much more worried about catching the flu from the vaccinated public.

And PS, I have had the flu shot 3 times in my life. Every single time I ended up the sickest I had ever been for nearly 2 weeks each time. And an additional note, last year my doctor recommended I get an MMR vaccine to protect my newly born baby. I consented against my gut feeling. I believe it was 5 days later I had a full blown case of measles from head to toe. It was not pleasant. When I went to the hospital to figure out what the heck was going on, of course they told me it was not measles. Just like they tell everyone who comes down with flu after a flu shot that it is not the flu. So why is it that a third of the population thinks the flu vaccine can cause the flu? There must be some truth to it.

21. Deebi27

I don’t need the flu shot. I gave up over 600 sick time hours when leaving a child care and a banking jobs. I have taken one for the last 8 years, because I work in child care again & my husband is very susceptible to the flu, because of weakened lung capacity issue from asthma in childhood.

Why be so judgmental about Jillee and her blog, because in her opinion a flu shot is beneficial. We all have opinions and to stop enjoying this SO VERY valuable blog, because of an opinion that is different then yours. These are CHOICES we make!

1. Rachel Ramey

I think a lot of people were caught quite off-guard to see such a mainstream, allopathic recommendation as a flu shot following an entire post of all-natural, herbal and nutritional remedies. I know I was. The flu shot recommendation seems so completely out of place in this context.

I am wondering about the garlic oil…will the raw garlic in it not burn a baby’s chest if it’s rubbed on directly?

22. Shaina

And back to Jillee. I’m sorry I’m starting controversy on your site. I have been perusing it for some time and never before had I found something that disturbed me so. I love the helpful and usually amazing tips you share with your readers. However I feel it is wrong for you to suggest, to a very impressionable audience, that everyone get the shot blindly without doing any research of their own

1. Deana

Amen Shaina
      So odd and out of place indeed.
      Listing it as natural was the kicker for me too. I believe strongly in live and let live. To each their own etc. BUT, no way is a flu shot natural and it wasn’t posted as a suggestion but rather a MUST DO kinda thing. Yes, we all have our own choices to make, no doubt, however adding in that one should do their own research on the matter would have been far more “Jillee” like. LOL

23. Shirley

My family swears by elderberry, either in a syrup or extract. We use the extract most often (you can get alcohol free for the kids). We put 30-40 drops in grape or cranberry juice a few times a day when we’re starting to feel icky and if it doesn’t kill the cold/flu outright, it drastically shortens it’s duration. We’ve been doing this for a couple of years and I’ve never had a cold last longer than 1 day and I got rid of the flu in 2 days.

24. Kat

Shaina, to say that Jillee’s audience is “impressionable” is to say that they are mindless. Which obviously, we are not. You can read all the above comments and see that each person that reads this blog has their own opinion, and is capable of doing their own research and coming to their own conclusions. It is offensive that you, who lit the fire to the whole flu shot recommendation on Jillee’s blog ends an apology to her, with an insult to her audience.

I personally don’t get the flu shot, but respect Jillee for her opinion and respect her audience for theirs. Jillee’s blog is such a blessing to all of her readers and one recommendation that happens to be her opinion will never change that.

Love ya Jillee!

1. Shaina

I probably used the wrong word. What I meant was that many of her readers probably trust her advice and readily take it without thinking about it. Is that mindless? Or impressionable? Well, I know I used to. Gosh, I didn’t mean to be insulting. Actually I think our entire nation is brainwashed and “mindless”. And I felt that the majority of people here still had some of their own thinking power left.

It was the “highly effective” in her original post that bothered me. Which is stated as fact, not opinion, by the way. I will move on from this thread though. If someone would like to convince me of how safe or effective flu shots are: groversk@hotmail.com

2. Holly

Amen Kat! My thoughts exactly. It’s amazing how everyone thinks everyone who doesn’t share their opinion is “impressionable” and going to blindly follow anyone’s advice.

I certainly always, be it on a very reliable blog or unknown, read the comments and see what others have to say, try it on a very small scale not to mention see if it makes logical sense as well before I jump in head first. Can’t imagine anyone would jump blindly into anyone’s medical advice either.

25. Angel Colbert

I think these recommendations are great. However, if I’m sensitive to honey or garlic, then I’m not doing the honey or garlic treatments. It’s really quite simple. Just as a flu shot. If you’re sensitive or allergic, then simply do not get the shot. No debate. I, too, was a firm believer in no flu shot. This was mtg first year in getting one and so far… nothing.

26. Rachel

Great ideas!!! I love and have used them all! Please, if using a netti pot though (which I do and love!), only use distilled water and not tap. Its rare for something bad to happen by using tap water, but it happens.

27. Julie

If you disagree, that’s fine, but lectures are not necessary. If she recommended a banana shake recipe and you were allergic to bananas, would you tell Jillee that you were disappointed in her? These posts are meant to be helpful suggestions… offer helpful suggestions back, not ridicule.

28. Jaan L of TX

I have two home remedies for flu and colds. First, and this may sound gross but it works, chop one clove of garlic and take it like medication with any liquid. Do this as soon as you start to feel ill, or once you are ill, take it also. This will cut the flu/cold or if you take it later on, it will speed up the ‘healing’ process.
    Secondly, for sore throats, take a pinch of turmeric, a pinch of ground black pepper and add to half a glass of warm milk. Take this as the last thing you drink before going to bed for three consecative nights. This works wonders, and is also great with kids or adults get tonsilitis.

29. Kelly

I use Essential Oils in trying to prevent getting sick, and it’s worked 4 times this year. I use Thieves from Young Living (but any pharmaceutical grade EOs would work). It’s a combination of Lemon, Cinnamon, Clove, Eucalyptus, and Rosemary EOs. I either put it on the bottoms of my feet 3x per day, or take internally (2 drops of Thieves, 1 TBSP honey, and 1/2 cup milk) 2x per day. So far I’ve avoided getting sick for the past 2 months (when all of my friends and co-workers have not!) I try to tell them my secret, but not everyone is willing to try some thing new.

1. Lynda Coles

I use my home-made Theives blend on the bottom of my feet too (home-made is cheaper, google the recipe). I also use a blend called ‘First Response’ which is a mix of Eucalyptus, Myrtle, Naiouli, Rosemary and Thyme and rub a drop neat over the lymph glands either side of my neck, and also in a steam inhalation. (Dilute in carrier oil or lotion if you have sensitive skin…I don’t!)

30. Patti White

I made the shower discs and they were a bit crumbly, any suggestions? I didn’t have a mini muffin pan and all I had were paper liners(I tend to be impatient, couldn’t wait to make them). I wonder if the foil liners bake them firmer? I know the paper ones tore when I tried to remove them.

Thanks for all the ideas!

31. Patti White

Just a brief comment on the flu shot issue and those of you who say you got the flu anyway. I personally don’t get the shot because I am allergic to egg whites. I have heard it said around here this year that many that have had the shot have still gotten the flu. I’m not a dr or a nurse, but my stepmother is a nurse and she told me years ago that they take the three(I think) most dominant strains and create the vaccine from the dead viruses of these. It’s possible that a strain that’s not included in the shot could be active and spread around and the drs are saying that’s what’s happening around here and that’s why people who got the shot are still getting the flu. Again, I’m not a medical person and I might not have explained it correctly, but maybe it’ll make a little sense. Ultimately, it’s a personal choice. I choose not to have the shot, if you choose to, it’s your choice and your business. You have to know your own body and how you feel about this and any other medical choice.

1. Lynda Coles

You are quite right Patti…the flu shot does not cover all strains of flu virus, this is because it mutates regularly, which is also why you have to get it each year…so yes, some people will still get the flu even after vaccination if they catch an uncovered strain. Personally, I had the flu twice in a month 25 years ago (I must have caught two different strains), and it left me so weak that I couldn’t even climb the stairs without crawling on all fours for 6 months afterwards. I have gotten the flu shot every year since then, and have never had the flu again…I am also a nurse, so I do recommend it. There is a lot of confusion still on what exactly ‘The Flu’ is….I have heard people tell me they have the flu when they are vomiting for 24 hours, or if they have a sore throat, or even if they have a bad cold…so many people who complain that they get sick after the flu shot have really come down with just a bad cold or a gastrointestinal bug…which, of course the flu shot does not protect against. At the moment I have a sore throat, body aches, stuffy nose and headache…but NO fever, and I am able to walk & talk…so I know it’s just a cold, even though I feel crappy :)

1. Patti White

People throw the statement, “I’ve got the flu” around pretty generously, but it’s my understanding you don’t know for sure without blood work, so yes, I’m pretty sure most people just have the “crud” as we call it.

32. Betsy

How much salt to H2O do you put in the neti pot? I used it once and
    had the WORST bloody nose ever! Of course while I was driving! Not
    sure what I did wrong. I did use tap H2O. Love all these good tips.

1. Lynda Coles

Betsy, you can buy special sachets of the salt mix at Walmart or Walgreens…they are usually 1 sachet per 8oz water, and contain a mix of salt and bicarbonate. It has to be the correct dilution, or you will get a nasty burning sensation, and neti pots shouldn’t hurt at all!

33. Patti White

I’ve been drinking the honey lemon cough syrup off and on all day, but…since I’m not supposed to have honey due to food sensitivities, I used maple syrup instead of honey…it’s yummy and so comforting. I have a big mug of it just waiting by my bed…I’m sure I’ll need it in a bit. I’ll just pop it in the microwave to warm it up a bit. Thanks again, Jillee, for taking time to pass along another bunch of helpful ideas!

34. Amber

I love your blog but I was surprised you mentioned the flu shot.. There are much better ways to boost your immune system than to pump foreign substances into your system. And for the record.. the reason things like the measles and small pox are no longer a threat to our existence has nothing to do with vaccines and everything to do with hygiene. I find it so sad that we put so much trust into what our doctors/nurses are encouraging us to take when most doctors themselves will not give these vaccines to their own children?? Bottom line.. what keeps you healthy is exercise, healthy diet, healthy mind… oh and one more thing.. Our bodies are made up of over 200 different kinds of bacteria.. so the more we expose ourselves to it the better chance we have to fighting it.. so washing our hands with antibacterial soap every chance we get probably increases our chance to catching something viral… just my opinion.

35. Amysam810

Jillee has a great website with great ideas! Disagreeing over a flu shot doesn’t change that! I get one each year and so does my family. Another great home remedy is to gargle with salt water (warm) if you have a sore throat.

1. Dana

I will have to agree! I love Jillee’s website. While I personally don’t agree with the flu shot, I love all the other home remedies. I made the eucaplyptus/peppermint oil salve and the honey/lemon tea.

36. Jo

I’m finding it a little surprising that out of a whole post of great ideas, people are picking out the flu shot. If it’s not for you, don’t do it. If it is for you, do it! It’s a personal decision as someone stated above. I have only gotten one once. My husband gets them every year as he is a paramedic. When dealing with flus (eg: H1N1) that have the potential to be epidemic, it would be an awful thing if our doctors, nurses, and paramedics were all down with it. Then what!?
    I personally love this site. I’m on here everyday. Jillee does a huge amount of research. I don’t believe for a minute that she would post anything that she didn’t believe in, have experience with, and have researched herself. If you don’t agree, that’s up to you.
    Jillee, I love your site. Keep up the great work! And God bless you!

37. Rose M.

This is surprising but true. I recently read that chocolate is good for colds and coughs! I was happy to hear this because I love, love chocolate (not that I’m looking forward to being sick! lol!)

38. Publia

When is the last time you saw a child hopelessly crippled or an adult in an iron lung due to polio?
    Did you ever know anyone who was permanently scarred by small pox?
    How many children did you heard about last year sick in bed with mumps and measles?
    All these diseases have been brought under control by public health immunization programs and parents willing to be part of the solution. Small pox has been eradicated and polio is close to being eradicated.
    A flu shot is optional, and certainly you should not get one if you have a bad reaction. Otherwise, see if you can find someone who has had the horror of the flu of 1918 described to them, or red the above info from the poster who was so weakened by the flu she was unable to climb stairs. Garlic cures and remedies are from the middle ages, people.
    Parents who are denying their children vaccines and relying on their vaccinated playmates to keep them healthy are one of the greatest health risks today. Perhaps it will all turn out well. But maybe it won’t.

39. Meghan Voss

Hi Jillee!
    We do the lemon cough syrup– we make tons of it and just keep drinking and drinking… and drinking it. We also do “Honegar”– equal parts apple cider vinegar and honey at the bottom of a glass, then fill the glass with warm water and mix. It helps a LOT! Thanks!

40. Jamie

I make the Honey Lemon Cough Syrup with fresh sliced lemons put in a jar and topped w/ raw honey til full. After a few days the lemon juice and honey mix and gel together. I keep in in the fridge till I need it. I usually just add to hot tea but I’ve been known to eat it straight when I’ve woke up in the middle of the night hacking. Stopped my cough in it’s tracks.

The Honey and Cinnamon Cold Remedy I also use but a little different. I use 1 Tbl. of raw honey, 1 tsp,. cinnamon and a pinch of cayenne pepper all mixed up, then eat slowly with a spoon and it kills a sore throat and makes you nice and warm. ;)

I swear by both of these recipes. I also swear by eucalyptus essential oil as does my hubby. At the 1st sign of a cold I diffuse it all over and whomever is the lucky one with the symptoms get his very own cotton ball full of eucalyptus to sniff. ;) The men in my house can’t sit still so this is the best way for me to get them to inhale this germ killer. So far this has worked amazingly well! So far we’ve all been pretty darn healthy this year.

1. Jamie

I also forgot to add that using a Neti pot totally saved my sinuses this year. The 1st time I ever used one and I was amazed at how much better I could breath…and all the sinus pressure was gone!

Well worth trying and well worth the money to pick one up at Walgreen’s. I always thought I’d choke to death trying it but I didn’t and I’m so glad I tired. :)

41. Knew

I am a 17 year old student and I am very new to this site. My mom showed me it a few months ago and it has given me great ideas. I really appreciate this site Jillee and I look forward to reading your next posts. Personally I have never gotten the flu shot (except for the H1N1 shot) so I don’t fully know the effect it can have on ones body. However, I believe it is people’s personal choices whether they get the shot not. Clearly people have misunderstood what you have said. I understood it as you recommending the shot, not demanding it. People have free will and they can do whatever they please. I am sorry that people are criticizing you on your advice. I believe that those who disagree should keep it to themselves and be respectful. You do a fantastic job. Keep up the great work for those out there, like myself, who enjoy your advice.