Super Simple Christmas Morning Cinnamon Rolls!

Christmas morning cinnamon rollsMuch to my family’s chagrin…I have never been much of a cinnamon roll maker. For years it was because I was afraid of anything having to do with yeast. Now it’s just because they are A LOT OF WORK!

So when someone by the name of “Anonymous” posted how she/he makes cinnamon rolls in a comment several months ago I was intrigued! Not only was it super simple, but she/he had “doctored” up the idea, making it irresistible!

I decided to make them last weekend. I started them Saturday night…and Sunday morning all I had to was turn on the oven and 25 minutes later we had hot, fresh, semi-homemade cinnamon rolls!

They were a big hit amongst the “free to eat gluten” members of the household! (Don’t worry, I made it up to No. 2 son and made him his favorite Pumpkin Pie Cake!)  :-)

After the feeding frenzy was over…it occurred to me these would be perfect for Christmas morning! By the time everyone is done ripping open presents the cinnamon rolls would be just coming out of the oven! Even if you have a different Christmas morning breakfast tradition (ours is Strawberry Waffles)…these would still be a nice (and simple!) addition.

Super Simple Christmas Morning Cinnamon Rolls

1 bag frozen cinnamon rolls (12 count)
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup vanilla ice cream (measured AFTER it’s melted)
5 Tablespoons butter

Put frozen rolls into two greased 8 x 8 pans. (I didn’t have any square pans, so I used pie plates which made for slightly unusually shaped rolls…but they tasted delicious nonetheless!) You could also use a 9 x 13 pan.

Add sugars, ice cream and butter to a saucepan and bring to a boil for one minute then pour over the frozen rolls and place in the oven overnight. The next morning bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes and then drizzle icing that came with the rolls over the top.

Christmas morning cinnamon rolls

Christmas morning cinnamon rolls

Yummy-looking aren’t they? But to get down to the bottom of their deliciousness you have to dig deeper….like “bottom of the pan” deep. That is where you can see the “secret sauce” we added on top of the cinnamon rolls before we baked them. That, my friends, is what elevates these super simple cinnamon rolls to being worthy of Christmas morning breakfast!

Christmas morning cinnamon rolls

What is your traditional Christmas Morning meal?

Be sure to check out the new

One Good Thing By Jillee FORUM!

Start a conversation…meet a new friend…discuss an idea…or just hang out!
See ya there!

Print Friendly
Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter11Pin on Pinterest1,175Google+0

Comments

1. Holly Pierce says

Well after sugar on that level I could be assurred they would pass out so that I could clean up and start dinner for later…ROFL

Hey Jillee,

Cinnamon rolls are very easy to make. I wrote about it on my blog last week. Check it out: http://debbieschrijft.nl/2012/12/13/zweedse-kanelbullar-bakken/
    Google will help you translate :-)
    Swedes make cinnamon roles with flour and yeast because they don’t have self-raising flour. I was hesitant to try it that way, cuz it is a little more work. I tried it with self-raising flour myself and it worked out fine. They were delicious. I’m sure you have that in the US as well?

Debbie…thanks for sharing your recipe! I love how you put them in individual baking cups! They look much nicer that way. I’m going to have to give your recipe a try. You’re right…looks very baker-friendly. :-)

• CTY says

Thanks for the link. Had trouble finding the recipe–I was side tracked by the Nutella Cinnamon Rolls Recipe. But does the cinnamon compete with the Nutella? I’ll have to stop drooling and look some more.

3. Laurie S says

They look great! I’m curious about the Ice Cream part of the recipe, how did you come up with adding that ingredient?

I’m running to the store to get my cinnamon rolls!

4. Abbie says

Yummy! I think I’ll try a sprinkle of pecans on one of the 8 x 8 pans for our Christmas breakfast.

5. Debra Shipley says

Well, I was planning on making the cinnamon roll pancakes that I saw, I believe through this site, but now I think it will be these we shall be supping on come Christmas morn. Much easier for me and will be enjoyed by all, I am sure. Thanks!

6. KayZee says

They DO look yummy. I do have a few questions…1)Are the rolls covered or uncovered while thawing in the oven overnight? 2)Do you remove the risen rolls from the oven while preheating it in the morning? Thanks so much for sharing this idea.

KayZee….I did not cover the rolls…and I didn’t take them out while the oven preheated. Just turned it on….put the temp to 350 degrees…and checked them 25 mins later and they were done. :-)

And THIS is why I love writing this blog so much! Thank you Gloria! That is brilliant and something I would never have thought of! I’m actually going to go try it right this very minute!

• Cynthia says

Let us know how it turned out! Sounds delicious.
        I think I’m totally making these on Christmas morning!

7. Michelle says

I enjoy making cinnamon rolls for my family from scratch. One thing that I have started doing which my family enjoys is adding some diced apple to it before I roll up the cinnamon roll. I think you could push some small diced apple slices into the rolls before baking them with this recipe. It gives it an apple fritter taste. We typically eat the apple cinnamon rolls quicker than just plain cinnamon rolls.

not as gooey but equally quick (and cheaper) is this ‘recipe’ that works up very quickly. btw – these can be made in the microwave if you don’t need them really golden brown.

1 can biscuits
    3-4 T butter
    6-8 T brown sugar
    pinch of salt
    finely chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)

melt butter and mix with brown sugar and butter. pour into 9 inch pie pan. separate biscuits, dip in salt/sugar mix, turn over and place in pan. do this with all biscuits. bake per package directions.
    voila! cinnamon rolls.

use glass pie pan or even a glass plate for microwave. you can also microwave the tubes of cinnamon rolls! just experiment a bit with the timing based on the power of your microwave. only takes a couple minutes.

jd in st louis

9. Debbie says

This recipe sounds great. I am spending Christmas Day at a friends house though. Do you think there would be a problem (the dough would “fall”) if I was to do everything up to baking here at my home, then take them with me and bake at my friends house? It’s only about a 15 min. drive.
    Thank you.