I’m always surprised when I learn that something as mundane (or what I THOUGHT was mundane) as shaving has been elevated to an ART FORM by some part of the population. It’s like when the hubster bought his first smoker…I had NO IDEA there was this huge smoking/grilling/barbecue CULTURE out there. But that’s what I LOVE about life, and writing this blog….there is always something NEW to discover and experience!
When I first heard the phrase, “The Art Of Shaving”, I admit I had images of zillionaires who have their manservant shave their face for them every day. But what I have discovered is that shaving as an art form is really just a fancy way of saying there is a better way to shave your face.
While I’m NO EXPERT, I’m going to attempt to demonstrate “The Art of Shaving” in my first ever video post. :-) (I’m pretty nervous about this…so be kind!)
So that’s the basic concept. PREPARE. LATHER UP! SHAVE. MOISTURIZE. Simply smart.
Here are a few MORE tips from The Barber Masters for the PERFECT shave:
- Applying shaving cream with a brush (vs. your fingers), actually exfoliates the skin. It also lifts and prepares the beard for the blade.
- Always make sure your razor handle is thoroughly rinsed, kept clean and that the blade dries in the upright position by using a razor stand.
- 5 to 10 shaves is the ideal number of times to use a blade/razor cartridge. If you experience any type of drag or pull during the shave, change your razor cartridge immediately!
- When shaving, use a light touch and slow down. Give yourself ample time for a proper shave. Let the blade and the products do the work for you.
- Wet shaving gives you a closer shave, exfoliates the skin, and lasts longer compared to using an electric razor.
- Every time you shave, you remove a thin layer of skin that contains moisture. After shave products help to restore moisture and to accelerate the healing process. Make sure your after shave does NOT contain alcohol. Alcohol dries and irritates and can cause ingrown hairs
- On your next shave, try shorter strokes, this allows for less build up and a smoother pass.
- To help prevent nicks & cuts, shave in or after your shower. The steam opens pores and brings moisture to the skin. It also hydrates your beard, and softer hair = less work for your razor.
This has been a fascinating look into the world of face shaving for me! (I have plenty of experience on other body parts.) I really had no idea just what went into a good, close, COMFORTABLE, shave. Suddenly I have a lot more respect for the guys who do it day in and day out. (I can just hear the hubster saying right now as he reads this, “Well, it’s about time!”) ;-)
If you are interested in trying some of the products from The Art of Shaving (either for yourself or someone else) here are a few deals that might interest you:
Enjoy 20% off your purchase of The Perfect Shave Solution. Valid unitl 12/30 No code needed. Discount automatically applied at checkout when you purchase a full size Pre Shave, a full size Shaving Cream or soap and bowl, Shaving Brush, Razor and After Shave.