23 Tips For Drinking More Water Each Day!

how to drink more water

Not EVERYONE requires exactly eight 8-ounce glasses of water every day. The Institute of Medicine has determined that an adequate intake (AI) for men is roughly 3 liters (about 13 cups) of total beverages a day. The AI for women is 2.2 liters (about 9 cups) of total beverages a day.

So the traditional rule should really be stated as: “Drink at least eight 8-ounce glasses of fluid a day,” because all fluids count toward your daily total.

But there’s no doubt that drinking WATER is important to our overall health and well-being. Water helps to flush toxins and waste products from our bodies. It aids our digestion and “keep us regular”. Drinking water prevents dehydration, and It helps us look better too. Water is proven to help with weight loss and helps hydrates the skin which in turn reduces the signs of aging.

There is no denying that your body feels happier and healthier when you consume enough water.

So how do we go about getting enough each day? If I knew EXACTLY how that could be accomplished I could write a book, it would become a best seller and I would become a gazillionaire! Since I don’t know EXACTLY how it’s done (because to be quite honest I really am BAD at it!) here are 23 ideas from your fellow readers for your consideration.

I personally am going to try them all!

no soda

• Don’t allow yourself a diet soda until you’ve had two to four glasses of water. Eventually you will find that you won’t crave the soda as much.
  • Have a big glass of water at every transitional point of the day: when you first get up, just before leaving the house, when you sit down to work, etc.

water bottle

• Make it convenient – keep a big, insulated water bottle full on your desk and reach for it all day.
  • Down a full glass several times a day. Go over to your kitchen right now and fill up a glass. No sipping over time. Just drink it down right after you fill it up.

water chart

• Track it. Make a chart and tick it off each time you drink a glass. Do a chart for 30 days and you will have made drinking water a part of your routine.
  • Have one glass every hour on the hour while at work or school. When the work/school day is done, your water quota is met.

citrus

• Freeze peeled pieces of lemons, limes, and oranges and use them instead of ice cubes – it’s refreshing and helps get in a serving or two of fruit.
  • After each trip to the restroom, guzzle an eight-ounce glass to replenish your system.
  • Set a goal to drink X amount of water a day, then write it down along with your reasons WHY! Remembering your motivation will help you keep going when enthusiasm fades.

drinking fountain

• Every time you walk past a water fountain, take a sip or two. (This is actually advice my own doctor gave me recently after a nasty kidney stone incident!)
  • Fizz it up!  Get a home seltzer maker like a Soda Stream and make your own fizzy H2O!  Add a dash of lemon or a splash of O.J. and you’ll have a super refreshing drink!
  • Fill up a large cup with crushed ice or ice cubes and snack on them (like candy!) throughout the day.
  • Make a bet with a co-worker to see who can drink more water in the course of a day.

apple juice

• When drinking juice (apple, grape, or orange) fill half the glass with water or ice and make sure to consume all of it.
  • Bring a two-liter bottle of water to work and try to drink it all before you leave work. If you don’t finish, drink it in traffic on the way home – it’s like a race.

cup with straw

• Keep a large cup full of ice at your desk and keep re-filling it with water. The key is drinking with a straw – you take bigger gulps and drink more at a time.
  • Here’s a tip if you’re trying to shed some pounds: Let ounces of water double grams of fat: when eating something containing 10 grams of fat, drink 20 ounces of water.
  • Drink two full glasses at each meal, one before and one after. Also, drink one glass before each snack so you don’t eat as much.

reminder app

• Put reminders into your phone or calendar to drink at regular intervals. Surprisingly, this helps me a LOT!  I know it sounds lame, but I just plain FORGET to drink water!
  • Carry a small refillable water bottle at all times and drink during downtime; while waiting in a bank line, sitting on the train, etc.

herbal tea

• Not ALL your water has to be COLD…drink some of it HOT. Have a nice warm cup of tea instead. But be sure it’s decaf since caffeine actually robs you of water (it’s a diuretic).
  • Always keep a bottle of water handy while watching TV, doing laundry, making dinner, etc.
  • Add drinking two glasses of water to your daily skincare regimen. Drink, cleanse, moisturize, then drink again.

If you’re like me, it might be necessary to use these ideas to TRICK yourself into doing something good for you….just until it (hopefully!) becomes a habit!

Note: the amount of water that each person should drink daily depends on your physical health, the amount of exercise you do daily, whether you live in a hot or cold climate and other factors (such as pregnancy). Please get advice from a medical professional to find out how much water you should drink daily.

Share on Facebook2,487Tweet about this on Twitter101Pin on Pinterest9,792Google+22

Comments

1. amy says

I find it difficult to drink enough water at work because I must pee constantly and I am a distance from the restroom (an outhouse) . It is a dilemma because I really need the water since my job is so physical: I work in a lumber mill. I am also a 51 year old female so at time I have to urinate more frequently than I used to in the past. Short of them moving the outhouse closer i do not see much around this. Perhaps I will have to bring up this topic of the need for proper hydration to my supervisor.

2. Jessica k says

I’m horrible at drinking plain water and after having kidney stones ive started adding fresh fruits and herbs with my water. I love ginger/mango (also an added metabolism booster) apples/cinnamon sticks, pears/cinnamon sticks, strawberries/kiwi, mixed berries (i use frozen berries since their cheaper and act like ice cubes), watermelon/Basil, watermelon/mint, cucumbers/mint, etc. I’m able to drink a gallon a day now after adding the additions to a pitcher of water. Make sure you let it chill for 30mins for the best taste and remove fruits/herbs after 24 hours. Now your only getting the flavor of the fruit/herbs. Hope this inspires you to drink more water!

3. Zoquara says

I actually have to argue AGAINST making it a competition with someone about who can drink more in a day. Staying hydrated IS important, but if you drink too much plain WATER, you can actually flush your system of electrolytes and other important things and die. No, I’m not being overly dramatic. You can actually kill yourself by drinking too much water.

I enjoy most of the other tips, however. I have, THANKFULLY, never had a kidney stone, but I do tend to forget to drink anything at all some days. My skin starts looking wrinkled and I look like I’m made out of an old paper sack!

4. Susan says

If you have an an iPod/iPhone, check out an app called Waterlogged. It’s a neat way to log your drinks. You attach visual pics of the various fluids you consume during the day (i.e., bottled water, a glass of water, coffee, fruit juices, milk, etc.) and note their volumes (ounces). Once your program is set up, you just have to remember to log in what you drink. You can even record fractions of your drinks–like if you drank just a half bottle of water at a particular time. It also has additional features like setting up reminders and receiving notices about how much water other Waterlogged app users are drinking towards their daily goals. I’ve just set it up and am going to give it a try.

I’m also keeping a pitcher of cucumber water in the refrigerator. It’s really quite refreshing. Just remember how many days the cucumber slices have been in the pitcher so that it doesn’t hang around too long. :)

5. stacey fogoros says

water is my friend !!! I drink 74.4 ounces daily. I’ve got a big mug that looks like a water cooler at bi-mart. If i don’t drink enough water throughout the day, some time during the night I’ll wake up parched -like in a desert-. Over time your bladder will get used to all that water and adjust. I’ve been drinking this much water for about 10 years, so hang in there.

6. Cathie Lambert says

I purchased a 52 oz insulated cup from the local convenience store, and I fill it with water and ice every morning when I get to work. By the end of the day, it’s empty, and sometimes I even refill it. Before I got this giant mug, I was lucky to drink 8 oz.

7. Jean says

As soon as I’m retired, I’m going to be following ALL of those tips. As an elementary school teacher, bathroom breaks are out of the question!! We can’t leave the kids unsupervised and lunch ‘breaks’ of 15 minutes are spent doing secretarial chores, replying to the never-ending emails from parents and eating lunch while running down the hall before the next duty. I’ve always wished there was one person hired for each building whose job was to give teachers 5 minutes to go to the bathroom (and not have to worry about the line that has formed for the one staff bathroom in the building.) It will be a joy to get the water in over 7am-9pm instead of 3pm-9pm and NOT having to get up in the middle of the night!!! LOL God bless our teachers – we don’t get old, we just lose our class!

8. April N. says

Eat spicy food! My husband likes to take diced chicken breast drenched in fraks red hot and garlic to work. He says it takes care of his “wing” craving and makeshim drink lots of water!

9. Sue says

My chiropractor has told me that soda is a diuretic: if you drink a can of soda, you need to drink an extra glass of water. There is conflicting information about it on the internet, but from my own personal experience, after I had successfully cut soda from my diet, if I then drank a soda, I was running to the bathroom immediately after.

I would agree with Stacey Fogoros; once you make a conscious effort to start drinking more water, you will be running to the bathroom more often. This only lasts a week or two while your body flushes the toxins and adjusts to your new routine. Hang in there, it is absolutely worth it. Especially if you can eliminate soda. You’ll have more energy and eventually soda won’t even taste good anymore.

10. Mary Malone says

I have been trying to drink more water for a while now. I do not like or drink plain water – ever. I try to never drink soda except when I go “out”. You do lose the craving for soda after a while. I carry lemon and lime crystals in packets and add them to plain water. At home I make a pitcher of this stuff to drink. Check out truelemon.com. If you sign up for e mails, you will once in a while get 50% of everything. That is when I get the 500 count packages of lemon and lime all natural flavoring. Not affiliated with truelemon, just a happy customer.

Mary

1. […] It’s only been a few days but the water bottle goes everywhere with me and I track each bottle in my phone. I also add a 1/2 lemon to jazz it up. Sometimes ya need a little help and a few tips. This is a great post by One Good Thing by Jillee – 23 Tips for Drinking More Water Each Day. […]