23 Tips For Drinking More Water Each Day!

how to drink more water

Not EVERYONE requires exactly eight 8-ounce glasses of water every day. The Institute of Medicine has determined that an adequate intake (AI) for men is roughly 3 liters (about 13 cups) of total beverages a day. The AI for women is 2.2 liters (about 9 cups) of total beverages a day.

So the traditional rule should really be stated as: “Drink at least eight 8-ounce glasses of fluid a day,” because all fluids count toward your daily total.

But there’s no doubt that drinking WATER is important to our overall health and well-being. Water helps to flush toxins and waste products from our bodies. It aids our digestion and “keep us regular”. Drinking water prevents dehydration, and It helps us look better too. Water is proven to help with weight loss and helps hydrates the skin which in turn reduces the signs of aging.

There is no denying that your body feels happier and healthier when you consume enough water.

So how do we go about getting enough each day? If I knew EXACTLY how that could be accomplished I could write a book, it would become a best seller and I would become a gazillionaire! Since I don’t know EXACTLY how it’s done (because to be quite honest I really am BAD at it!) here are 23 ideas from your fellow readers for your consideration.

I personally am going to try them all!

no soda

• Don’t allow yourself a diet soda until you’ve had two to four glasses of water. Eventually you will find that you won’t crave the soda as much.
  • Have a big glass of water at every transitional point of the day: when you first get up, just before leaving the house, when you sit down to work, etc.

water bottle

• Make it convenient – keep a big, insulated water bottle full on your desk and reach for it all day.
  • Down a full glass several times a day. Go over to your kitchen right now and fill up a glass. No sipping over time. Just drink it down right after you fill it up.

water chart

• Track it. Make a chart and tick it off each time you drink a glass. Do a chart for 30 days and you will have made drinking water a part of your routine.
  • Have one glass every hour on the hour while at work or school. When the work/school day is done, your water quota is met.

citrus

• Freeze peeled pieces of lemons, limes, and oranges and use them instead of ice cubes – it’s refreshing and helps get in a serving or two of fruit.
  • After each trip to the restroom, guzzle an eight-ounce glass to replenish your system.
  • Set a goal to drink X amount of water a day, then write it down along with your reasons WHY! Remembering your motivation will help you keep going when enthusiasm fades.

drinking fountain

• Every time you walk past a water fountain, take a sip or two. (This is actually advice my own doctor gave me recently after a nasty kidney stone incident!)
  • Fizz it up!  Get a home seltzer maker like a Soda Stream and make your own fizzy H2O!  Add a dash of lemon or a splash of O.J. and you’ll have a super refreshing drink!
  • Fill up a large cup with crushed ice or ice cubes and snack on them (like candy!) throughout the day.
  • Make a bet with a co-worker to see who can drink more water in the course of a day.

apple juice

• When drinking juice (apple, grape, or orange) fill half the glass with water or ice and make sure to consume all of it.
  • Bring a two-liter bottle of water to work and try to drink it all before you leave work. If you don’t finish, drink it in traffic on the way home – it’s like a race.

cup with straw

• Keep a large cup full of ice at your desk and keep re-filling it with water. The key is drinking with a straw – you take bigger gulps and drink more at a time.
  • Here’s a tip if you’re trying to shed some pounds: Let ounces of water double grams of fat: when eating something containing 10 grams of fat, drink 20 ounces of water.
  • Drink two full glasses at each meal, one before and one after. Also, drink one glass before each snack so you don’t eat as much.

reminder app

• Put reminders into your phone or calendar to drink at regular intervals. Surprisingly, this helps me a LOT!  I know it sounds lame, but I just plain FORGET to drink water!
  • Carry a small refillable water bottle at all times and drink during downtime; while waiting in a bank line, sitting on the train, etc.

herbal tea

• Not ALL your water has to be COLD…drink some of it HOT. Have a nice warm cup of tea instead. But be sure it’s decaf since caffeine actually robs you of water (it’s a diuretic).
  • Always keep a bottle of water handy while watching TV, doing laundry, making dinner, etc.
  • Add drinking two glasses of water to your daily skincare regimen. Drink, cleanse, moisturize, then drink again.

If you’re like me, it might be necessary to use these ideas to TRICK yourself into doing something good for you….just until it (hopefully!) becomes a habit!

Note: the amount of water that each person should drink daily depends on your physical health, the amount of exercise you do daily, whether you live in a hot or cold climate and other factors (such as pregnancy). Please get advice from a medical professional to find out how much water you should drink daily.

Facebook2454Twitter101Pinterest9347Google+22

Comments

1. amy says

I find it difficult to drink enough water at work because I must pee constantly and I am a distance from the restroom (an outhouse) . It is a dilemma because I really need the water since my job is so physical: I work in a lumber mill. I am also a 51 year old female so at time I have to urinate more frequently than I used to in the past. Short of them moving the outhouse closer i do not see much around this. Perhaps I will have to bring up this topic of the need for proper hydration to my supervisor.

• Leanne says

Hi Amy – think of your body like a dehydrated plant. If you water a plant where the soil is very dry, the water comes out the bottom really fast – but if you keep putting that water back in, eventually the soil absorbs it. Your body is the same – you are peeing so much right now as your body is dehydrated but if you keep drinking the water you should, eventually your body will hold onto it longer and you won’t have to make as many trips to the outhouse. I teach nutrition and this is one of the most common complaints from people who are trying to increase their water intake.

• CTY says

Leanne is right–your body will utilize the water better and your bladder will get stronger. Try using a 3-day weekend to get you started–this will give your body a head start in getting used to it.

• Fiona prothero says

What a great piece of information. I am bedridden a great deal of the time 80%+
        It is so good to read this. It will not be forgotten. I cannot wait to pass it on. Greatful Thanks :)

thank you so much Leanne for this I hate water but have been putting lemon and limes in it and i like it but I didn’t know about that if I keep drinking I won’t have to go as much this is great! to know your a life saver :) now if you could just tell me what to eat everyday I would be great! 309-314-1545 really if you have any advice I would really appreciate it I am 57

Hey Amy,
      I have found that eventually that urge will dissipate as your body gets more used to having the additional water. At first you’ll certainly be going quite a bit but if you give it time, you may find (like I did) it slows down. Hope this helps if you aren’t successful getting the outhouse moved closer :)

• Fran says

My husband was reading about hydration the other day and found something that said your body can only process about 4 ounces of water at a time. The rest gets excreted without any real benefit. I am trying to drink about 4 oz every 15 minutes or so. I haven’t made it a habit yet but hope to soon.

• Beth Sherrill says

you should because you will lose lots of time from work if you get a serious bladder, or kidney infection or stones. If there is any way for them to make the outhouse easier to get to, they should!

• Cathy says

Try Kegel exercises. You can do this anytime. It will also help tighten up the vagina and help men with premature ejaculation.

It just dawned on me that taking probiotics and enzymes with meals, along with Super Blue Green Algae helped me with this problem, too. I have been taking them for about 3 months or so for heartburn that hurt my stomach, which I thought was ulcers.

2. Jessica k says

I’m horrible at drinking plain water and after having kidney stones ive started adding fresh fruits and herbs with my water. I love ginger/mango (also an added metabolism booster) apples/cinnamon sticks, pears/cinnamon sticks, strawberries/kiwi, mixed berries (i use frozen berries since their cheaper and act like ice cubes), watermelon/Basil, watermelon/mint, cucumbers/mint, etc. I’m able to drink a gallon a day now after adding the additions to a pitcher of water. Make sure you let it chill for 30mins for the best taste and remove fruits/herbs after 24 hours. Now your only getting the flavor of the fruit/herbs. Hope this inspires you to drink more water!

3. Zoquara says

I actually have to argue AGAINST making it a competition with someone about who can drink more in a day. Staying hydrated IS important, but if you drink too much plain WATER, you can actually flush your system of electrolytes and other important things and die. No, I’m not being overly dramatic. You can actually kill yourself by drinking too much water.

I enjoy most of the other tips, however. I have, THANKFULLY, never had a kidney stone, but I do tend to forget to drink anything at all some days. My skin starts looking wrinkled and I look like I’m made out of an old paper sack!

You have to drink well over 4 liters in a very short time for this to happen. Unless you and your coworker are über competitive, this is a fine strategy. Anything taken to extreme is bad for you but you’d have to be nuts to take it that far!

• Karen J Moseley says

This is an important message to share! I actually had this happen to me. I ended up in ICU, after losing all of the sodium and potassium in my body. Grand Mal seizures and very, very close to death is frightening. As a result, I developed Partial Nephrogenic Diabetes Insipidus. Basically, symptoms of regular, uncontrolled Type 1 Diabetes. Anytime I become very ill, my body/kidneys produces massive quantity’s of urine. It’s rare, but something to be aware of.
      Thanks for sharing this post and allowing others the chance to provide some important information.

• LoneWolf1Canada says

ZOQUARA; You are right about drinking to much water as it can flush to much potassium from your system and that is not good for you. What I was told last summer as I work most of the day in a garden center on black top and it is very hot, was that it is okay to drink a lot of water while out there, but drink a Gator Aid or something to replace the Electrolytes half of the way through and then continue with water. Potassium you can replace after by eating a banana or drinking a glass or orange juice – not from concentrate.

4. Susan says

If you have an an iPod/iPhone, check out an app called Waterlogged. It’s a neat way to log your drinks. You attach visual pics of the various fluids you consume during the day (i.e., bottled water, a glass of water, coffee, fruit juices, milk, etc.) and note their volumes (ounces). Once your program is set up, you just have to remember to log in what you drink. You can even record fractions of your drinks–like if you drank just a half bottle of water at a particular time. It also has additional features like setting up reminders and receiving notices about how much water other Waterlogged app users are drinking towards their daily goals. I’ve just set it up and am going to give it a try.

I’m also keeping a pitcher of cucumber water in the refrigerator. It’s really quite refreshing. Just remember how many days the cucumber slices have been in the pitcher so that it doesn’t hang around too long. :)

• Susan says

For me personally, I keep them in the pitcher somewhere between a week to two weeks. I slice the cucumbers pretty thick, about 3/4″, and use at least half the length of it. Everyone’s tastes will vary on how much cucumber flavor they prefer. The cucumber flavor will get stronger the longer it stays in the water. You can always remove the slices from the pitcher once it reaches your desired taste. Drinking cucumber water is a recent and nice change of pace for me. The only question is what to do with the used cucumber slices. Are there any good cucumber recipes out there that are not salad toppings or pickles?

• Meenakshi says

Hi Susan
          Love your idea of cucumber water! And cucumber, itself is diuretic; good for kidney functioning!

You could pulse the cucumber slices [or mince/chop them] then add to beaten curd or plain yoghurt along with some fresh mint leaves [roughly torn, chopped or whole]. Sprinkle with salt [black slat is preferable], pepper, roasted & ground cummin or whatever flavors you prefer. Chill & consume.
          Or make cold cucumber soup. Choose a recipe as per your taste.

Hope this helps :-)

5. stacey fogoros says

water is my friend !!! I drink 74.4 ounces daily. I’ve got a big mug that looks like a water cooler at bi-mart. If i don’t drink enough water throughout the day, some time during the night I’ll wake up parched -like in a desert-. Over time your bladder will get used to all that water and adjust. I’ve been drinking this much water for about 10 years, so hang in there.

6. Cathie Lambert says

I purchased a 52 oz insulated cup from the local convenience store, and I fill it with water and ice every morning when I get to work. By the end of the day, it’s empty, and sometimes I even refill it. Before I got this giant mug, I was lucky to drink 8 oz.

7. Jean says

As soon as I’m retired, I’m going to be following ALL of those tips. As an elementary school teacher, bathroom breaks are out of the question!! We can’t leave the kids unsupervised and lunch ‘breaks’ of 15 minutes are spent doing secretarial chores, replying to the never-ending emails from parents and eating lunch while running down the hall before the next duty. I’ve always wished there was one person hired for each building whose job was to give teachers 5 minutes to go to the bathroom (and not have to worry about the line that has formed for the one staff bathroom in the building.) It will be a joy to get the water in over 7am-9pm instead of 3pm-9pm and NOT having to get up in the middle of the night!!! LOL God bless our teachers – we don’t get old, we just lose our class!

• Cindy says

Aaaah, the memories. She’s telling the truth here. Teachers develop iron bladders or maybe it’s rubber bladders as they stretch and hold a lot! This is my third year retired and I love being able to go to the bathroom whenever I want! Ha! Only other teachers fully understand that. Bless you Jean for the job you do and the sacrifices you make for our children.

• Dina says

Must agree here. Bathroom breaks are a luxury for teachers (and nurses too!) An 18 minute lunch is the only free time I have some days! I know I should drink more, but it’s not practical if you can’t also use the bathroom whenever you need to.

8. April N. says

Eat spicy food! My husband likes to take diced chicken breast drenched in fraks red hot and garlic to work. He says it takes care of his “wing” craving and makeshim drink lots of water!

9. Sue says

My chiropractor has told me that soda is a diuretic: if you drink a can of soda, you need to drink an extra glass of water. There is conflicting information about it on the internet, but from my own personal experience, after I had successfully cut soda from my diet, if I then drank a soda, I was running to the bathroom immediately after.

I would agree with Stacey Fogoros; once you make a conscious effort to start drinking more water, you will be running to the bathroom more often. This only lasts a week or two while your body flushes the toxins and adjusts to your new routine. Hang in there, it is absolutely worth it. Especially if you can eliminate soda. You’ll have more energy and eventually soda won’t even taste good anymore.

10. Mary Malone says

I have been trying to drink more water for a while now. I do not like or drink plain water – ever. I try to never drink soda except when I go “out”. You do lose the craving for soda after a while. I carry lemon and lime crystals in packets and add them to plain water. At home I make a pitcher of this stuff to drink. Check out truelemon.com. If you sign up for e mails, you will once in a while get 50% of everything. That is when I get the 500 count packages of lemon and lime all natural flavoring. Not affiliated with truelemon, just a happy customer.

Mary

11. maureen says

I’ve heard the brain can’t differentiate between being hungry and being thirsty. How many times have we reached for chips/donuts/snacks without our stomach growling.. Go for a few gulps of water first!

A STRAW!! That’s been my key to getting enough! I have sensitive teeth, and with a straw, you just gulp it past your teeth, and drink a LOT more! (those nice tall plastic lidded cups with a straw – one on the counter at home and one on my desk at work – keep it filled always)

• CTY says

Mc Donald’s has the fattest straws. It is their strategy to get you buy the larger size drinks because you get more with a sip & run out sooner. These days I have a plastic phobia so I bought (on-line) a set of glass straws (for DH) and a set of stainless steel ones for me (I’d break the glass ones). They both came with a cleaner brush. I only drink water through them so to clean them I just run hot water through them.

• Rita says

I don’t use straws that often, but I try to drink out of glass bottles only. Since I can’t find any at the store, I drink out of a 32 oz vinegar bottle. I had a Jack Daniels bottle about empty (no we are not big drinkers, usually to cook with), and I use that but only at home!! It looks too much like I’m drinking booze, especially if I put tea into it. :)

• Fran says

My sister takes a large mason or ball jar, punches a hole in the lid with a pencil and sticks her own straws in that. She’s drinking out of glass instead of plastic! I just use a couple of stainless steel water bottles and add a little lemon or some essential oil from doTerra (so pure) and make sure I drink both bottles in a day = about 8– 8 oz glasses.

13. Kelly says

I used to hate water until I started drinking filtered water. I use a ZeroWater filter, and it takes out all the nasty tasting stuff so that all you’re left with in pure, sweet, tasty water. I’ve used Britta and Pur filters in the past, but ZeroWater tastes the best to me. I even bought a pitcher for work that I can fill up in the morning. It holds 64 ounces, which I try to drink before work is done.

I also sometimes put a drop of lemon essential oil in my water just to switch things up. There are lots of health benefits to adding citrus oils to your drinking water, plus it tastes great!

14. Nina says

This is so well timed for me! I had an awful headache day before Saturday because I forgot to drink water all day! It was especially bad because I’m usually pretty good at getting my water in. The problem is when I have to be out of the house all day. The one thing that has helped me is actually not the greatest solution but it does work for me. I buy one liter bottles of water. Usually from Costco. They aren’t all that expensive and it’s SO easy to keep track of how much I’ve had. We keep a flat of them in the trunk for emergencies and if I forget to grab some from the house before I leave I will grab a couple from the trunk. Then when I get home I replace what I took and it helps to rotate the water in the trunk too! It’s kind of hard right now though because it has been so cold.

• Deb says

Nina, they say to not leave plastic water bottles in your trunk-the chemicals will leach into the water and they are cancer-causing! I buy Snapple in the glass bottles so I can refill them as water bottles.

15. Anon says

Drink water without ice. The colder the water, the less people drink.
    And be careful about drinking water during a meal. It is not good for digestion. drink a while before, or a while after eating.

• Jessica k says

Actually colder the water the more calories your body burns to warm it up so colder water is better. And its best to drink a glass with a meal so you actually get fuller fast and wont over eat.

• Margaret says

I understand that drinking water with meals dilutes the digestive juices and interferes with the proper breakdown of foods — and that it’s best to drink half and hour before meals or two hours afterwards

• Jessica k says

It may diluted the digestive juices but it would only make your stomach take longer to digest. If that was true then any liquid would be bad to drink while eating since any type of liquid would do the same as water. And the longer your body takes to digest your food the better nutritious can be absorbed in your system. Also Your stomach will add more stomach acid if needed to help aid in digesting

16. Diane says

I am also a teacher. I leave a gallon container of water in our staff refrigerator. It has a filter in it, so when someone uses it, they refill it. We keep reusable water containers at school and enjoy drinking fresh filtered water all day long, without using a lot of plastic bottles!

17. Sharon Kay says

Some great ideas but the one about filling a cup up with ice cubes or crushed ice, my dentist has told me chewing on ice is not good for you teeth. So, don’t chew, suck on ice like it is candy. Also, if you freeze your own ice cubes, use flavored water.

• Zoquara says

It could be in the coding as well. For instance, if someone has their browser settings set for large type (vision problems, maybe?), most sites’ coding allows for the site to adjust for that, but if something was missed in the coding, it might not be allowing for that.

• Rita says

KD: You can click control and the plus sign and make the letters as big as you want. I have a Mac so it’s “command and the plus sign. I think for a PC it’s what I told you. You never have to be stuck with what the website shows you.

I find that straws inhibit the amount of water I drink. I prefer to take my liquids directly from the cup rim because that’s an actual gulp. If I need to chug something (say, to get my morning fiber drink down *blurgh*), I can continue to drink from the rim versus my cheeks puffing up with a straw and only getting a small stream. Plus I’m notorious for jabbing myself with straws, so there’s that, too.

It’s not even close to being the best solution, but those little Mio water additives help me out A LOT. I try really hard to drink a glass with the additive in it and have a chaser of plain water. My issue is that water tastes like nothing and is not enjoyable to drink (unless the body is reaaaally craving it/parched) and feels more like a chore. I have one of the biggest sizes of the Bobble filter bottles (I think it’s 32 oz?) that I fill up in the sink before heading to work and I’ll admit I rarely finish it by the end of the day; close to within just a few ounces, but not entirely. Unfortunately, if I finish off a bottle, I have to fill the Bobble with well water and you try filling a narrow hole full of water with a bathroom sink faucet. *must remember to bring a smaller cup*

Extra movement throughout the day (not necessarily exercise) gets me wanting water. Instead of rolling over to the copy machine to get my papers, I get up and walk. I take short walks with my dog (who comes to work with me!) during my morning break and lunch and by the time I get back, I’m thirstier than anything. Instead of using the phone’s intercom system, I go to the back offices to tell someone they have a call. That way, not only am I racking up the steps on my FitBit, I’m encouraging my body to crave water by warming up and drying out a little, so to speak.

I’m notoriously bad about not drinking anything on the weekends. Anything regarding routine goes out the door Friday night and I’m lucky if I remember to drink my morning fiber concoction on Sat/Sun. :\

Also, drinking water too fast makes me feel bloated, and I’m sure I’m not the only one!

• Jessica k says

The lil mios are a way to add flavor but be careful they contain artificial sweeteners and actually will make your body ache more, same if you drink diet soda. I thought they were great too until i read some of the ingredients. Add your favorite fruits like apple or strawberry slices you get the flavor of the fruit. Its the best.

19. Carol says

I would look into the eating ice. I craved it when I was pregnant and my doctor said that when water freezes it has some chemical in it and told me to stop immediately. Not sure how that makes any difference when it melts and you drink it. Haha but just a thought, love this article and just downloaded the waterlogged for ipod and looking forward to new hydrated year!!!

• Maureen says

When chewing on too much ice, it can seriously decreases Potassium. Causing a major Electrolyte imbalance in your system, which could cause heart problems.

An occasional small amount of ice is safe an refreshing. If you like ice, use it in our glass of water.

Water is….water. Frozen, steam, or liquid. It’s the same element, and it doesn’t change when you freeze it. Frozen water contains exactly….water. That’s it. Ice is fine, other than possibly being bad for your teeth. But, it doesn’t interfere with anything in your body that drinking water doesn’t. It’s just water.

Water frozen is exactly the same as the water you froze. Seriously? That dr is crazy! However, ice from ice makers in restaurants can be contaminated with cleaners and bacteria so make your own rather than getting it from a commercial ice maker if you consume large quantities.

20. Anonwaterdrinker says

I have been on this kick of drinking tea all throughout the day. I drink so much that it waists time heating in a kettle. Just a minute in the microwave and I am good to go… If it gets cold, I fill it up and reheat it. I am not sure how much I actually drink this way, but it is more than I would normally. I reuse the tea bag at least 3 times… Until there is no flavor left in it, saving me money. AND, I love the fact that I am also feeding my body great herbs too. I hate plain water… I love trueorange packets in my tea as well… I have the lemon, but after a while, I start to get heartburn from it… Also, be careful about what you choose as they have artificial sweeteners that can be harmful to you in the pink lemonade and grapefruit mixes… I think the lemon, lime and orange are the only safe ones.

21. Kathy C says

I like these tips. For me, it was just a conscious decision to quit drinking Diet Pepsi (caffeinated and non-caffeinated). I mainly made the switch because of the cost. If I think of it more from a budget perspective, that helps me. (Rather than YOU MUST DRINK WATER ONLY!)

I save $2 every time I eat out by just drinking water. And I save a ton at the store by not buying soda for home. I have hadn’t a sip of soda since last October and I haven’t missed it yet.

I have water at my desk and big pitcher of water at home in the fridge. We have good drinking water.

So far, so good.

22. Bell says

I started drinking more water a few months ago. I use flavor packs. I know it is better to drink it plain or with fruit, but I seldom drink sodas anymore so still an improvement. I probably still don’t drink enough. I guesstimate it to be about 48 oz as I make a pitcher at a time.

23. TwoDiffSocks says

Hi Ya’ll,

Cells phone can get a FREE app called: Drinking Water. YOU can set it to start & end, it buzzes your phone to remind you to drink through out your day, YOU set how many glasses you have drunk & applause when you drink your personal set amount, has statistics for the month on quantity best of all…..it’s FREE!

Hope This Helps

24. aggie says

Very interesting how everyone has their own way of trying to improve their health. I am learning to drink unsweetened,caffeine-free green tea this winter. I drink ice water in the summer which is refreshing and thirst quenching. I order ice water in restaurants on the rare occasions that I eat out. Thanks for all the good ideas you share with us. God bless you!

25. Alisha says

I can always tell when I haven’t had enough water. I have horrible body odor, and my gout acts up. As long as I drink plenty of water, and take some vitamins and nutrients I seem to be OK. But one day without enough water is DETRIMENTAL to my health. We live in a country where we don’t have to walk to get water to wash our clothes, brush our teeth etc. You’d think we’d remember how lucky we are……but alas we are humans, and as humans we are quick to forget. Say a prayer for someone who doesn’t have enough water while you drink at least one glass a day. Then you’ll have done something good for yourself, and someone else. Thanks for the tips Jillee! You are loved.

26. Jennifer singer says

I found that drinking water is definitely great for losing weight. I sit in front of a computer for my job and I’m Type 2 diabetic. I cut down my carb intake, stopped drinking diet Pepsi And started drinking close to a gallon of water a day at work. I noticed aside from using the bathroom more that I was sleeping better, that has been an ongoing problem for about 5 years! The funniest part was I didn’t notice I had lost weight until someone else pointed it out to me. Since about August til now, without dieting, I have lost 30 pounds and dropped from a size 20 to a size 14! And I’m still going!

• Cathy says

Congratulations! Diet drinks mess with people’s metabolism. Water brings you back in balance and you return to a normal weight. I am surprised every time I see someone drink that poison.

27. Thea says

I am also trying to dring more liquid. I have never been a water drinker. Mostly coffee. Hey its liquid right? I am working on the more water thing. I do juice and flavor packets in a bottle( my own water refilling an empty bottle) but some of the artificial sweetners are bad for you. Trying herbal teas. I am trying to drink some water everytime I go into the kitchen. Not a huge glass just what I can manage at the time. It adds up over the day. I will get better with practice.

28. Rae says

Add one tablespoon of black/tart cherry juice concentrate to your water. Black cherry juice is loaded with antioxidents and has been used in the Middle East for centuries. One serving, 2 T, is about 70 calories. I add 1T to two or three cups of water and enjoy.

29. Cathy says

Some people have trouble drinking ice cold water. My throat tightens up, and I have to force myself to swallow even a tiny sip. I discovered popping it into the microwave for 30 seconds warms it just enough to make it pleasant for me. Now I can drink a glass straight down. It might help some of you too.

30. Ruthie in TN says

I do okay with water in the warmer months, but realized that I wasn’t drinking much at all when the weather is cold! So this winter I have been doing the hot water thing, but discovered that I don’t even need the tea with it. I keep cut-up lemon wedges in a baggie in my freezer, and at some point during the morning I’ll throw a lemon wedge and a small piece of a cinnamon stick into a mug and pour in hot water (at home I use our Keurig and just leave out the k-cup). The same pieces of lemon/cinnamon stay in there all day; I just add more hot water as needed. It has great flavor and I feel like I’m being pretty healthy, at least in that regard. :O) Lemon and cinnamon both have lots of health benefits, and as a bonus they are both good for keeping bad breath away!

Yesterday I didn’t have any lemon wedges on hand, so on my way out the door to church I threw my bottle of lemon essential oil in my purse. I was working backstage and was going to be there through three services, so I wanted to be able to have my hot water. When I got there I went to the kitchenette that is attached to our backstage area, filled a styrofoam cup with hot water, and added a couple drops of the lemon. It kept me warm and happy all morning!

p.s. With the new look (that I’m assuming may still be a work in progress), I have noticed that it takes longer for the site to load, at least for me. But personally, I like the font used on the header, kind of a vintage look. Love the color scheme too.

31. Susan B says

I read somewhere that your body can only absorb a certain amount of water at a time (something like 4oz/ hr.), so I’m not sure slamming a big glass in a short amount of time is the best way to get your fluids. It just sends you running to the bathroom. I keep a huge glass of water at my desk or on my counter and constantly drink throughout the day. I have to MAKE myself do this (and if I don’t, I sometimes drink a whole glass at one time to try to catch up), but I much prefer constantly drinking over a huge amount sloshing around in my stomach.

32. EJ says

I have a couple of thoughts. As other people have said, chugging water is really not the way to go-you can get very sick or even die (it’s happened before). Taking sips throughout the day or taking 5 minutes before you eat to slowly drink a glass of water seems best.

We leave our Brita pitcher out on the counter-that way it’s fresh and clean and impossible to miss! When your water is hidden away in the fridge, you won’t remember to drink it.

And finally, fizzy water is NOT a good replacement for water!! The bubbles actually dehydrate you. Try adding fresh lemon or lime juice instead for some flavor.

Here’s the thing: Sometimes it seems so overwhelming to adhere to a recommended number to reap benefits that people don’t try at all. Psychologically, it is better to say I will try and drink more water throughout the day. Increase a little bit at a time. Water really is good for you. Start small and build up. I have a bladder disease (IC) and I can ONLY drink water. Every day, all day, for many, many years. No tea, no coffee, no flavorings. Just water.

34. Stefanie Anderson says

I’ve been using a quart of distilled water before breakfast every morning as protection against getting sick. It really works! It’s the first thing I put in my system every morning, and it’s kept me healthy even when the rest of the family is sick. I got tired of doing it during December and quit for a while. Hello flu, UTI, and even a kidney infection! So I’m definitely back on track with my morning water and plan on keeping it up indefinitely.

35. Charmaine says

I absolutely love all these ideas even if I don’t follow them all, I will begin to drink more water. I cannot stand cold water so I love the idea of filling a jug with water so that for me, it warms up a bit!! It would help me to actually see how much I am drinking as I am a visual learner. I also love the tip about freezing slices of lemon and orange to add flavour: that would be a definite help for me. I’ve heard some people use mint as well. Thanks again and keep up this great blog. Love from the UK!!

36. Alicia says

I have a Drinking Water app on my Droid that I love! I set it for how many 8oz glasses I want to drink in a certain time frame, and it notifies me to drink water by a “trickling water” noise. It also gives me graphs to show how well I did each day in a month (who doesn’t love graphs?!). It’s been very helpful, since I’m always on my phone at the office. I also ALWAYS have a water bottle on my person, since availability is an absolute necessity. =)

37. Cheryl S. says

Please use common sense and spread your water drinking all day long. You can drink too much, too fast, which messes up your electrolyte balance and can be fatal. In Sacramento, CA, several years ago a radio show had a contest to see who could drink the most water without going to the bathroom. A woman died trying to win a video game system for her kids…so sad.

38. Ellen Bingham says

Looking at the bigger picture beyond our own selves, let’s not ignore the megatons of plastic bottle waste by buying into “convenience” with the bottled water fad. Out of all these great tips, there’s a better way to drink water than to contribute to making our planet less healthy. My husband and I researched and bought an under-the-sink filter that seemed costly at first but soon was way more economical than buying water from a store. Way more convenient too–if that’s what you’re looking for.

39. Rita says

RE drinking carbonated drinks and diet drinks. There are more and more studies as to the dangers of artificial sweeteners. Stevia and Xylitol are still considered okay, though I have read where Xylitol can kill dogs and maybe give you diarrhea. I’ve never had it happen. The popular Truvia has other stuff in it and is not true stevia.

Carbonations, it seems, can leach calcium from our systems including bones.

Just something to keep in mind. I don’t think the occasional soda or home carbonated drinks would hurt. But, most people are addicted to their fizzy drinks.

I’ve also read where soda can cause kidney stones in some people. I think that’s what did it to my husband who had them several times. Luckily after the first one I found out I could give him a small glass of vinegar with water, and it dissolved it. Whew! Worked every time. He has since cut back on soda and finally believes me about the diet drinks.

40. CTY says

First I want to say– I do not get compensated for any of the products mentioned. If you are suspicious of plastic like I am, try using stainless steel or glass bottles. For stainless Klean Kanteen is a great product; they also sell stainless lids so no plastic there either. I got a free stainless canteen from Eddie Bauer once and it fit the Klean Kanteen lid. For glass you can try Lifefactory. They sell glass bottles that are wrapped in a silicone sleeve (comes off for cleaning too). Both companies have a child sip cup and baby bottles. Both companies have lots of colors/sizes from which to choose.

If water purification is your query (I have phobias of water too) I have thoughts on that as well. First, there is a difference between water filters and water purifiers. Filters-like Brita & Pur can help water taste better but do not purify. Purifiers are only 2 types: distillers (DH uses that exclusively-buy online only), think of the water cycle– water evaporates by sun and rains back down as purified water (at least in the days before smog). The distiller needs electric to run. And carbon/ceramic filter purifiers (used by survivalists) like Katadyn or Berkey–think riverbed: water runs over the rock and soaks deep into the river bed and pops back up as a stream of purified water (again before man’s pollution). These three mentioned can all take black water (sewer waste water) and make it drinkable. They cost from about $75 to a few hundred depending on the size. The carbon/ceramic tubes are about $100 a pair to replace– but they filter about 3,000 gallons of water (a gallon used a day gives a lifespan of 8 years). I like the ones that are gravity fed because they are hands-off & no electric. Home installation -whole house filters are very pricy and as the water passes through the pipes it pick up stuff from the pipes themselves. England uses a magnet system (installed by homeowner, under $100)-magnets are placed around the main water pipe. This is effective for removing some minerals from the water. The main benefit of this is that major appliances like heaters & water heaters don’t break down due to mineral buildup. The magnets reduce the hardness of the water; they do not purify the water– but they can help with hard water. Research all of them and make your choice.

41. Kathy says

Being from a family that produces kidneystones, I am the undisputed kidneystone queen, having just passed stone #44. I drink copious amounts of fluids daily, starting with 20 ounces of water every morning after I get up, then move to decaf or herbal teas or fruit flavored waters. If I drink a soda, I immediately refill my glass with water to flush the caramel coloring on through, and to alleviate any diuretic effect. I do the same with beer or wine, and in total, hit well over a gallon of water a day. Going over a gallon daily doesn’t make you urinate any more than before, unless you have a bladder condition – I’ve had to adapt like this since I was 18 and had my first stone surgically removed. Slushes in the summer are a bonus, because as you drink the fruit juice, you can replace it with more (diluted for less sugar, of course) and keeping water bottles with you wherever you go is essential. Diuretic drinks, such as regular tea, are always ordered with a glass of water as well, and it gets refilled at least twice as often. It’s not a habit, but a lifestyle choice. If you’ve ever had one stone, you’ll never want another, and, if you form them as often as I do, you’ll try to avoid them as often as possible.

42. MiKayla says

First of all I love the new look of your site! super cute! thanks for the tips im always trying to remember to drink water. im so bad sometimes I will go a couple days and I have to think “when was the last time I drank some water?” its kinda sad but I will def try some of these!

I watched a segment on how to get in all your water and it suggested picturing a tall, blue colored glass full of water. The theory was that the blue color combined with the clear water made people thirsty. It sure made me thirsty. Any time I don’t feel like drinking another glass, I just picture that episode with the blue glass and I immediately get thirsty. Maybe I’m just brain-wash-able LOL

44. Lisa says

I just returned from a 10 day vacation in Kansas. It was so dry there that my skin was actually starting to become rough and flakey. I was thirsty, so started drinking water, more than I have ever had. Almost everytime I needed to go number one I was so surprised I also had to go number 2. Not only was I on vaction, but I also lost weight. I read that you need to take your weight, divide it in half and that is how many ounces you should be drinking a day!

1. […] It’s only been a few days but the water bottle goes everywhere with me and I track each bottle in my phone. I also add a 1/2 lemon to jazz it up. Sometimes ya need a little help and a few tips. This is a great post by One Good Thing by Jillee – 23 Tips for Drinking More Water Each Day. […]